Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookie View Post
    Also, read her contract very carefully.She does not have a standard contract. As a trained Harvard-educated lawyer, she writes her own, tailoring each for each client, ensuring she gets what she wants out of each deal. For example, she will try to commit you to giving her the right to negotiate all furture adaptations of the book (including movies) before securing a book deal with a publisher. She will demand a percentage for a successful sale whether she negotiates it or not. So, if you work with her for a time in which she yields no results or simply have a falling out, she will want to collect a hefty percentage if you decide to go with another agent who succeeds where she failed...
    Thanks for revealing this as I was about to send her a query. Information to consider.

Kathleen has had my full since 10/26. Eep.

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    Good luck, Beckstah. I just queried Jill myself. (Maybe I should say Ms. Marsal since she hasn't requested anything.)

A bit concerned about a possible nonstandard contract -- but I can read and negotiate. I went to law school also. But I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    Well, at least she's quick. Form R. Oh well, I don't have to worry about the contract

I hope I've sucked up the bad news from this agency for the rest of you.

I write in bed.
    Queried Kevan Lyon on 4/4
    Got a request for a partial on 4/12
    I was rejected sometime in May...I can't remember the date, but I remember that the feedback that Ms. Lyon gave me was extremely helpful. She's one of the only ones to have given actual criticism. It will be helpful when I do a re-write if I don't find representation this go-round.

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone know about fiction sales for Deborah Ritchken?

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Under genres on QueryTracker, she has fiction listed as "none". On the MLA website, it looks like her primary interest is non-fiction, but also states, "Her niche interest is projects about France, including fiction."

All of her current projects listed on the MLA site are non-fiction. Other than that, no clue.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Thanks Fluffbunny. I was curious because she requested my novel and she seems great, but I was only aware of nonfiction that she had repped. So I was looking for titles on the fiction front if anyone knew of any.

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Well, then I'm stupid this morning. Not that that's anything out of the ordinary, mind you.

Sorry I can't be any help, but it sounds like your novel impressed her! Congrats!
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Just posted an interview with Shannon Hassan, one of the newer agents at Marsal Lyon:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2013...on-hassan.html

If you're thinking about querying her, I hope this interview will help. (And if you can't decide which Marsal Lyon agent to query, I hope this interview will help you narrow it down!)
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)

EARTH TO DAD (Capstone, Fall 2018)

DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

e-queried Shannon Hassan 1/21
    generic R 1/28

Oh, well, at least she was prompt. Off to query someone else now!
    Last edited by Liz_V; 01-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi everyone, just wanted to check if anyone has recent feedback on working with Jill Marsal. I'm considering working with her, but saw the comment in this thread about her contract and her general attitude to the work she represents. Wondering if anyone has further experiences, positive or negative, to report. Thanks!

Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PointVirgule View Post
    Hi everyone, just wanted to check if anyone has recent feedback on working with Jill Marsal. I'm considering working with her, but saw the comment in this thread about her contract and her general attitude to the work she represents. Wondering if anyone has further experiences, positive or negative, to report. Thanks!
    Jill is my agent and I would definitely recommend her. She's very communicative, professional, and gives great editorial feedback. She's also very nice and supportive. Thus far I've only worked with her on deals with Entangled (because that's where my focus has been), but she works with many publishers.

Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books

Queried on 10/14/14. About an hour or so later she requested a full manuscript. Offered representation 10/15/14. Signed contract 10/16/14.

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
    Queried on 10/14/14. About an hour or so later she requested a full manuscript. Offered representation 10/15/14. Signed contract 10/16/14.
    Wow! Way to go. Congrats!!!
    The Princess and the Poison, the first cozy in the Storybook Park Mystery series, is now available at most e-book retailers.

www.carolayer.com

Quote Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
    Wow! Way to go. Congrats!!!
    Thanks. I think what made the difference was semi-finaling in a recent contest. She represents past winners, so was familiar with it.

Wow, that's a question turnaround time! Congratulations, ktgrok!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

Has semi-colon; will use it! jtrylch13's Avatar
    EQ Patricia Nelson 10/17/14
    YA Post-Apoclalyptic
    Form R 10/19/14
    Represented by Valerie Noble at Donaghy Literary Group
    Red Dawn + Xmen
    (YA SF) WIP
    THEY CHOSE THE STARS
    (YA Sci-fi) On Submission
    I HAVE NO NAME (YA Post-apocalyptic Survival) - Sitting on top of the trunk, afraid to go in . . .
    Serra Craft and the Keeper of Wilhelmina's Treasure (MG Fantasy) - Trunked

Facebook Pinterest Blog Twitter

Impressive! Congrats!
    --Lena

My Books Blog Twitter Facebook

Book 5--first draft complete
    The Illegals--first draft complete
    The Orders--first draft complete

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    Queried Patricia Nelson - YA Fantasy. Form rejection two days later.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

There were some issues with my account which is why there are some missing posts there, but here's a summary that I'm posting again

I met Kevan Lyon at a conference on 1/24/15 and she requested my full manuscript.
    Nudged on 5/5/15.
    Received a personalized rejection on 5/13/15. The reason was that the book blurs genres too much.

Kevan was lovely to talk to and seemed like she would have been great to work with. I recommend querying her.

Forgive me, Calypso. magicalwhatever's Avatar
    I received a partial request (first 50 pgs) from Patricia Nelson through the Sun vs Snow contest and sent the material today 2/24/2016.

I received a one page "agreement" from Ms. Marsal. When I emailed back with items my lawyer stated should be in the contract (such as paying me within 15 days of receiving money, sending me a 1099-Misc every year, what happens if she dies or retires, etc.), she quickly backed away stating she didn't like my "poor communication" with her. Does this sound phishy to anyone?

practical experience, FTW polishmuse's Avatar
    @goldilocks: I'm not a client of Marsal/Lyons, but my agent is part of a major firm in NYC, and my agreement was only one page. The more nitty gritty stuff comes more in contracts with pub houses. If you don't trust the agent with your business (have heard fishy things) then I wouldn't query. The lawyer stuff might have come off as being suspicious early in a relationship.

edited to add, I swear there was a recent question answered in Janet Reid's blog and I can't find it, but if you look through the troves long enough you might find her perspective on that.
    Last edited by polishmuse; 07-17-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: more detail
    literally a person. also, a literal person. and a literary person. and a contrary person.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456