• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
Also, read her contract very carefully.She does not have a standard contract. As a trained Harvard-educated lawyer, she writes her own, tailoring each for each client, ensuring she gets what she wants out of each deal. For example, she will try to commit you to giving her the right to negotiate all furture adaptations of the book (including movies) before securing a book deal with a publisher. She will demand a percentage for a successful sale whether she negotiates it or not. So, if you work with her for a time in which she yields no results or simply have a falling out, she will want to collect a hefty percentage if you decide to go with another agent who succeeds where she failed...

Thanks for revealing this as I was about to send her a query. Information to consider.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen has had my full since 10/26. Eep.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Beckstah. I just queried Jill myself. (Maybe I should say Ms. Marsal since she hasn't requested anything.)

A bit concerned about a possible nonstandard contract -- but I can read and negotiate. I went to law school also. But I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least she's quick. Form R. Oh well, I don't have to worry about the contract :Shrug:

I hope I've sucked up the bad news from this agency for the rest of you.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Kevan Lyon on 4/4
Got a request for a partial on 4/12
I was rejected sometime in May...I can't remember the date, but I remember that the feedback that Ms. Lyon gave me was extremely helpful. She's one of the only ones to have given actual criticism. It will be helpful when I do a re-write if I don't find representation this go-round.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Under genres on QueryTracker, she has fiction listed as "none". On the MLA website, it looks like her primary interest is non-fiction, but also states, "Her niche interest is projects about France, including fiction."

All of her current projects listed on the MLA site are non-fiction. Other than that, no clue. :(

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Fluffbunny. I was curious because she requested my novel and she seems great, but I was only aware of nonfiction that she had repped. So I was looking for titles on the fiction front if anyone knew of any.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Well, then I'm stupid this morning. :D Not that that's anything out of the ordinary, mind you.

Sorry I can't be any help, but it sounds like your novel impressed her! Congrats!

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
e-queried Shannon Hassan 1/21
generic R 1/28

Oh, well, at least she was prompt. Off to query someone else now!

Last edited:

PointVirgule

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to check if anyone has recent feedback on working with Jill Marsal. I'm considering working with her, but saw the comment in this thread about her contract and her general attitude to the work she represents. Wondering if anyone has further experiences, positive or negative, to report. Thanks!

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to check if anyone has recent feedback on working with Jill Marsal. I'm considering working with her, but saw the comment in this thread about her contract and her general attitude to the work she represents. Wondering if anyone has further experiences, positive or negative, to report. Thanks!

Jill is my agent and I would definitely recommend her. She's very communicative, professional, and gives great editorial feedback. She's also very nice and supportive. Thus far I've only worked with her on deals with Entangled (because that's where my focus has been), but she works with many publishers.

Reactions: capricornair

ktgrok

Registered
Reaction score
Queried on 10/14/14. About an hour or so later she requested a full manuscript. Offered representation 10/15/14. Signed contract 10/16/14.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
EQ Patricia Nelson 10/17/14
YA Post-Apoclalyptic
Form R 10/19/14

nubivagant

Registered
Reaction score
There were some issues with my account which is why there are some missing posts there, but here's a summary that I'm posting again :)

I met Kevan Lyon at a conference on 1/24/15 and she requested my full manuscript.
Nudged on 5/5/15.
Received a personalized rejection on 5/13/15. The reason was that the book blurs genres too much.

Kevan was lovely to talk to and seemed like she would have been great to work with. I recommend querying her.

magicalwhatever

Forgive me, Calypso.
Registered
Reaction score
I received a partial request (first 50 pgs) from Patricia Nelson through the Sun vs Snow contest and sent the material today 2/24/2016.

goldilocks

Registered
Reaction score
I received a one page "agreement" from Ms. Marsal. When I emailed back with items my lawyer stated should be in the contract (such as paying me within 15 days of receiving money, sending me a 1099-Misc every year, what happens if she dies or retires, etc.), she quickly backed away stating she didn't like my "poor communication" with her. Does this sound phishy to anyone?

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
@goldilocks: I'm not a client of Marsal/Lyons, but my agent is part of a major firm in NYC, and my agreement was only one page. The more nitty gritty stuff comes more in contracts with pub houses. If you don't trust the agent with your business (have heard fishy things) then I wouldn't query. The lawyer stuff might have come off as being suspicious early in a relationship.

edited to add, I swear there was a recent question answered in Janet Reid's blog and I can't find it, but if you look through the troves long enough you might find her perspective on that.

Last edited: