Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

Hybrid View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lucky Lucy's Avatar

Marsal Lyon Literary Agency

I don't see a separate thread yet for Jill Marsal and Kevan Lyon at their new agency, Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

On Sept. 4 I sent an email query to them. On Sept. 10 received email from Jill Marsal requesting 20 pages. Sent them without delay. On Sept. 11 I received another email from Jill requesting full to be sent by snail mail. All emails have been lovely; enthusiastic and professional. Even if they are form emails they made my day. I see on Publisher's Marketplace that Jill Marsal has been busy racking up sales this past month. Crossed fingers. I have five fulls being read by agents, fortunately none as exclusives.

Any other experiences with this new agency? I read somewhere that Sept was the busiest month for agents but I don't know why. Any ideas?

Back to my new project and time to quit obsessing.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Paranormal Princess ChrryBlssmGrrl's Avatar
    I saw Kevan Lyon on Agent Query and thought she sounded like she might be a good match so I e-queried her yesterday.

Today I got an email from Jill Marsal, saying Kevan had forwarded my query to her and would I send her the first 20 pages. She included both her postal and email address so I emailed them - post takes a while/costs a bit/is none too friendly for the environment from Ireland to California so I hope that will be ok...

And now...waiting!!! Anyone else out there on AW been querying these guys??

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    I queried yesterday - will report back if I hear anything...

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    I queried Jill 10/7, rejected 10/11.
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Contemporary - Available NOW! (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Queried Kevan Lyon 10/16. Have they been especially busy recently? The website suggested about a week.

On the other hand, I queried Jill Marsal 9/9 and received R 9/23, which took two weeks even.
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

I LOVE Kevan

I queried Kevan Lyon and have so far found her wonderful.

Here's my history thus far:

5/8: Queried
    5/12: Partial requested
    5/31: Full requested
    6/8: Emailed with a rejection, but very detailed as to what worked and what did not. No indication as to whether she would be willing to look at a revised book
    9/12: I sent the revised book, asking if she'd be willing to look at it again
    An Hour Later: Said yes
    10/21: Emailed saying she loved the revisions and requesting that I send the full manuscript by snail mail

The first time she requested the full, she only read the first eighty pages and she requested it by email. The second time she requested the full by snail mail after reading the first 80 pages again.

She's very nice and extremely approachable. She also very knowledgeable and seems genuinely interested in helping authors. I've received an offer for representation (yesterday), but am going to wait to see what she says because I think she would be an absolute dream to work with. Helpful, knowledgeable and passionate!

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Congrats and good luck! Maybe she's been slow on the query replies because she's so excited about your ms
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Haha, if only. She's only had it for a week and a half. Waiting is the most excruciating part of this whole thing. The good news is I got another request for a full manuscript from Alexandra Machinist, who is another of my top dream agents.

Paranormal Princess ChrryBlssmGrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishrose45 View Post
    Haha, if only. She's only had it for a week and a half. Waiting is the most excruciating part of this whole thing. The good news is I got another request for a full manuscript from Alexandra Machinist, who is another of my top dream agents.
    Both Alexandra and Jill were looking at my partials too! Alexandra took about 2 months but eventually got back to me with an R, Jill took about 4 weeks but same response alas and it was a form R, alas. But didn't make me wait too long tho, which is a plus

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

Queried Kevan 10/23, rejected 11/3.

in my own little corner, in my own little chair
    I queried Kevan the evening of 11/8 and received a request for 3 chapters the next morning.
    Last edited by Preacher'sWife; 11-11-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: misspelled name

Hi, those of you who got the 20-page request from Jill Marsal: did you include a synopsis? Would it be inappropriate if I did? And did you send the pages as a word attachment, double spaced I suppose? Is that what one is supposed to assume when no instruction on the formatting is given? (sorry for the fretting....)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Fmate66's Avatar
    Queried 13th Dec
    Partial requested 23rd
    Rejected 26th

Nice short note. Don't know if it was a form letter or not. Said pages were interesting and well written. I'd like to believe her but I have no idea if these are just kind, but standard, words.

Very fast and efficient.

That's what she said to me too, "well written, I enjoyed reading them."
    Not enough to request the rest though.... oh well!

practical experience, FTW
    I got that too. seems to be her standard form rejection

I received an offer for representation today, even though I probably sounded like an idiot on the phone. She had warned me that she was going to call, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon after the e-mail. I think I'm going to take it. Is there anyone here who has experience with Ms. Marsal? She is very approachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Molko View Post
    I received an offer for representation today, even though I probably sounded like an idiot on the phone. She had warned me that she was going to call, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon after the e-mail. I think I'm going to take it. Is there anyone here who has experience with Ms. Marsal? She is very approachable.

Congratulations, if you so choose to take it.
    The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery available now.

My website

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    Congratulations, Molko!!! Fabulous news!

Thank you Vandal and rebobinar. I haven't really told anyone yet, so you two are the first to congratulate me!

Tell me to leave. Please. honeysock's Avatar
    For those looking for response times: queried Kevan on 1/24. Got a request for a partial on 1/25. Very very nice personal R today (after only 2 weeks) on the partial with feedback and the offer to "look again" if I made revisions in the near future.

I had another agent request completely different revisions on the full so I'm doing that now. If it doesn't pan out, I'll consider Ms Lyon's suggestions.

FWIW, I've had four agents give me four totally different directions for revising. If they all matched, I'd have an easy job deciding what's wrong with my manuscript. As it is--I'm starting to think this is a crapshoot.

Fascinating! I always take any agent's advice to heart, but in your case... what's one to do?? Mhm... I think next time I make revisions for an agent I'll ponder a bit longer instead of jumping straight to it... Thanks for sharing!

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    Yeah, I've had two very different revision directions from agents also. They weren't mutually exclusive, though, so I can kinda do them both. Just very different things they keyed in on.

Partial request from Ms. Marsal! W000T!
    Blog: "Supernatural Smut" http://brooklynann.blogspot.com

I queried Ms. Lyon today (June 03, 2010). Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast