Who Will Get the Olympics?

i believe the 2016 olympics will go to:

• Total voters

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If there's justice in the world, it'll be Rio, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chicago won.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
probably not Chicago - the recent deadly beating of a teen (and no one willing to say anything due to that old "code of silence" thing) has definitely put a damper on a lot of things about the old town.

I think it's the killer for the bid.

even with Obama there.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This poll is bogus. It does not include either Orlando Bloom or Eggplant.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
some context:

last time chicago hosted: never
the last games hosted in the US: 1996 (atlanta)
total number of US-hosted games: 4

last time madrid hosted: never
the last games hosted in spain: 1992 (barcelona)
total number of spain-hosted games: 1

last time rio hosted: never
the last games hosted in brazil: never
total number of brazil-hosted games (or south america, for that matter): 0

last time tokyo hosted: 1964
the last games hosted in japan: 1964 (tokyo)
total number of japan-hosted games: 1

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see Rio host and give a boost to Brazil's economy. But security concerns might see the Olympics in Tokyo instead. Brazil is still a poor nation with a fairly corrupt police force and a thriving drug trade.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have Canadian friends who lived in the US for a while, then the far east, moved to Mexico, and are currently touring South America. They're up on being where it's at, so I voted for Rio.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Hope it goes to Rio... but this will really be a testament as to whether or not the world is behind Obama. I know he thinks he transcends American politics but I personally think the world has set this guy up for an epic fail. Again, Obama seems intent on expending political capital on worthless pursuits.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Hope it goes to Rio... but this will really be a testament as to whether or not the world is behind Obama.
In what way? If the world's behind Obama, the Olympics will automatically go to Chicago; is that what you mean?

I'm not sure the rest of the world is as obsessed with Obama as the US is, or as the US believes the world to be.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed. As a Chicago "celebrity" it made sense to Obama as part of the presentation, but that is the extent of his involvement.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I so don't care...I only watch the winter games anyway.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. As a Chicago "celebrity" it made sense to Obama as part of the presentation, but that is the extent of his involvement.

This is not a "celebrity" this is the leader of the free world and the President of the United States. This is the first president to ever do such a thing. This is just more of Obama being Obama, just like his stunt at the UN last week. If this was about "celebrity", Michelle and Oprah would have been sufficient.

Torrance

Registered
Reaction score
In what way? If the world's behind Obama, the Olympics will automatically go to Chicago; is that what you mean?

I'm not sure the rest of the world is as obsessed with Obama as the US is, or as the US believes the world to be.

No, not necessarily. I believe there is far more to lose than to gain for Obama and I think this was another blunder on his part.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
No, not necessarily. I believe there is far more to lose than to gain for Obama and I think this was another blunder on his part.
Granted I'm no political junkie, but I didn't even know Obama was in any way involved in the US's Olympic bid and I'd bet neither do a lot of people who aren't on the Olympic committee.

I'm your neighbour but I manage to go days in a row without giving a single thought to Obama, the Leader Of The Free World, as you say. I live in the free world but don't consider him my leader.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Granted I'm no political junkie, but I didn't even know Obama was in any way involved in the US's Olympic bid and I'd bet neither do a lot of people who aren't on the Olympic committee.

I'm your neighbour but I manage to go days in a row without giving a single thought to Obama, the Leader Of The Free World, as you say.

I'm so jealous. I wish I could do that. :(

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

totally agree.

he's overestimating the degree to which he and michelle are the global toast of the town.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score

I'm your neighbour but I manage to go days in a row without giving a single thought to Obama, the Leader Of The Free World, as you say. I live in the free world but don't consider him my leader.
Just like that.