• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
Hello :)

I joined the website today. I've visited a few times and I think it's a helpful resource for aspiring authors. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a question that I have (one that has been asked many times before, lol).

I sent out (snail mail) a children's book manuscript to the Ethan Ellenberg agency on Dec. 17, 2009. The website says that it takes 2 weeks to respond to an e-mail query. But, there's no mention (not that I've seen) of how long it takes to respond to snail mail. It has been little over 6 weeks now. Does it usually take longer to get a response for snail or would the two week rule apply here as well? Should I just assume that it's a rejection?

Last edited:

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nutellanut, welcome!
Did you include an SASE with your snail mail query?

I love the name, BTW. I grew up where Nutella was born!!! :)

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nutellanut, welcome!
Did you include an SASE with your snail mail query?

I love the name, BTW. I grew up where Nutella was born!!! :)

Thanks, Sciri. I'm addicted to the stuff :)

Yes, I sent an SASE. Used a self-sealing envelope. Made sure I had the right address. Included a cover letter with my manuscript. Basically followed the guidelines on the website, but still haven't received a response. Is 6 weeks too long?

Last edited:

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
No. I still have a few SASE's out that I sent back in October... Some come back within days, others take their time...
I can't speak for Mr. Ellenberg though, as I have queried him twice, always via email.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Does anybody know if Ethan's policy of "after two weeks assume we're not interested" is a definite two weeks? Or has anybody received a request for more after that timeframe?

I'm at 2 1/2 weeks with him and I don't know if I should keep hoping to hear back or just toss him in the not interested pile.

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Ethan's policy of "after two weeks assume we're not interested" is a definite two weeks? Or has anybody received a request for more after that timeframe?

I'm at 2 1/2 weeks with him and I don't know if I should keep hoping to hear back or just toss him in the not interested pile.

I'm curious as well. I snail mailed him as opposed to email. And I wonder if the 2-week time frame stated in his website also applies to snail mail. I've heard that it takes snail mail a longer time.

For those of you who have had experience with the Ethan Ellenberg agency, could you shed some light on this matter? I mailed him my cover letter/manuscript/SASE (according to his submission guidelines) on Dec. 17 of 2009........it's been little over 6-weeks. Should I take it as a rejection?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I would think it only applies to email queries. A snail mail query can take at up to a week to get there, sit in an inbox for a while, then the SASE could take the slow train back to you. If you enclosed an SASE in good faith, they should put their rejection slip inside and add it to the mail pile. After all, you spent the money on the stamp.

As for the 2 week limit on email queries, at least they give a time frame.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
My data is old-last spring-so take it for what it's worth, but my snail response took a little under 3 mo.

A_Green_Leaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deserttagarabians.com
I have a question, as I'm considering querying this agency. When I paste the sample chapters into the body of the email, do they have to be double-spaced? I realize the query and synopsis can be single-spaced, but normally manuscript pages are double-spaced. Unfortunately, I can't double-space with my email editor.

I found an agent recently (I believe it was Laurie McLean) who mentioned on her site that it was acceptable for the pasted pages to be single-spaced, but she's the only one I've ever seen note that.

I'd rather email, but if I am risking being seen as unprofessional by pasting pages single-spaced, I'll just snail mail it.

Thanks!

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I received my SASE from Ethan Ellenberg. It took a little over two months.

I opened it up and inside was my manuscript............with no feedback or response at all. Not even one of those standard/form responses.

I find that to be even more insulting.....to not even bother with sending some sort of response. :( I mean, isn't it? I did my research regarding manuscripts, cover letters, what have you. I typed up manuscript/cover letter according to guidelines. I followed the submission guidelines. Included a SASE...........and in the end, no feedback/response at all.

I'm not going let this deter me from pursuing my goals. This weekend, even though I have so many papers to grade and lesson plans to write, I will make some time for myself to send my manuscript to other agents. But I've definitely lost respect for Ethan Ellenberg.

Last edited:

Nutellanut

Registered
Reaction score
That's the spirit. Don't let it get to you!
Cheer up and move on. ;)

I'm trying to.

But on the spectrum of rejection, not receiving ANY sort of response at all is a pretty bad sign isn't it? What does that mean? That my story was abysmal to the point that it's not even worth fulfilling the formality of issuing a form rejection? Should I even bother emailing him and asking him about this? You expect better from professionals.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My guess is that someone in his office forgot to enclose a letter with it. It can happen. Even agents and their staff (if they have one) are human. And, like the rest of us, they sometimes make mistakes.

I don't think you should take it as harsh criticism of your work.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that someone in his office forgot to enclose a letter with it.
I agree, that's the most likely scenario. Or maybe it was so tiny you didn't even see it in there. Whenever I got the original query back in the SASE, the R was in a teeny tiny piece of paper folded inside that almost got tossed with the envelope.

I know the R stings, but don't try to read too much into it. Some people are lucky and get an offer right away, others get lots of rejections before they get the offer, regardless of the quality of their work.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone e-mailed this agency and gotten a response back? I'm wondering if it's better to snail mail or e-mail...although email is way cheaper for 50 pages.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question, as I'm considering querying this agency. When I paste the sample chapters into the body of the email, do they have to be double-spaced? I realize the query and synopsis can be single-spaced, but normally manuscript pages are double-spaced. Unfortunately, I can't double-space with my email editor.

I found an agent recently (I believe it was Laurie McLean) who mentioned on her site that it was acceptable for the pasted pages to be single-spaced, but she's the only one I've ever seen note that.

I'd rather email, but if I am risking being seen as unprofessional by pasting pages single-spaced, I'll just snail mail it.

Thanks!
For email submissions, most agents seems to prefer block paragraphs single-spaced with a space between paragraphs, just like your paragraphs above.

To be sure it looks right, send yourself a test email. Another trick is to take the text you want to paste in, dump it in Notepad (to remove your word processor's formatting gunk). Be sure Notepad is not set to "word wrap" (format > word wrap > toggle to uncheck). Then copy and paste the text back into your email. This worked really well for me when Gmail and MS Word were having their own weird ideas about what formatting to apply.

Last edited:

Author or Princess

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I snail mailed according to website directions and got back my SASE with a form R - a card that included the phrase "Your material is not anything I wish to work with at this time" or something equally stinging. I saw the same R posted in a blog, so I know it's not just me, but still, ouch.

Total turn around: mailed on 3/25, received R on 4/22.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
on the spectrum of rejection, not receiving ANY sort of response at all is a pretty bad sign isn't it? What does that mean?

You are engaging in The Overthinking Game. It's something you will find yourself as a writer playing over and over. Agent hasn't responded to query in three weeks -- should I feel relieved that I wasn't rejected out of hand, or should I feel dejected that I'm possibly being ignored? Agent responded with a polite rejection -- does it mean she really liked my work but is just too busy to take on new clients, or does she think my work is so bad that she pities me? Looking at my website, I find that someone googled my name. Is it because some agent whom I queried is intrigued and wants to know more about me, or because some agent I queried thinks I'm a nutjob and is curious to see what lawsuits I'm named in?

This game has thousands of iterations, and is limited only by your imagination. Welcome to Purgatory!

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Ethan reviewed my manuscript the very day I submitted it, and asked for a two week exclusive. He came back with many recommendations on how to polish it. For the past 3 months, I have been diligently working on a rewrite, sending him updates once a month. He always replies the same day confirming that he received and read my email. He has been nothing but completely professional, and has been a valuable resource with assisting me in navigating the industry and finalizing my novel.I have just resubmitted the **new** final version back to him and hope to sign with him soon.He is a A++ agent and I, or anyone else, will be very lucky to have him represent me.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I snail mailed Ethan a query, synopsis, the 1st 50 pages and a #10 SASE on 4/15/10 and never heard back from him. But I didn't expect a response. If I recall correctly, he says right on his website that if you don't hear from him in 2 weeks, then he's not interested.

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Denise this morning and got a request for a full. But it looks like she's requesting a lot of fulls.