• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a snailmail submission to him almost three months ago and still haven't heard anything. His site says email submissions should get some sort of response around a 2 week turnaround. Why should snailmail be significantly more than a week longer? Maybe it's a good sign? Maybe I need to inquire if it ever arrived?

I hope so, but he took 2.5 months to send me my form reject.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
The querytracker.net site shows email responses from 21-48 days and snail mail from 7-82. So, I think the 2 weeks on email isn't exact. Six weeks and I'll write them off as a no. Let's see. I guess that will be around Thanksgiving.

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
Ethan Ellenberg used to be my agent. He's not now. I had the impression it was because he was generally cutting back, personally, but who knows. It's a legit agency, and I certainly didn't/don't have any major complaints.

Ashleen O'Gaea

SageFury

Overcoming the Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.radicaldreams.com
I quired Ethan about a month ago (probably the worst time to send snailmail). Anyone know if he will take on two part novels?

I unfortunately have a two-parter and am a first timer which is probably another worst combination. Could not be helped though with the storyline I formed...

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
I know Ethan asks for the first 50 pages. For those of you who e-queried him, did you actually paste the first 50 in the e-mail? I wasn't sure!

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks YAwriter! I have my partial out exclusively with my dream agent right now, but I'm trying to be prepared to send to my top 10 list of agents when I hear back (or don't as I hear apparently that's sometimes the case!), and that definitely helps. :)

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I know Ethan asks for the first 50 pages. For those of you who e-queried him, did you actually paste the first 50 in the e-mail? I wasn't sure!

I figured 50 was too much, so I sent first five chapters (about 30 pages). I didn't want the email to choke. I figure if (they) read the first 30 and are interested, they'll ask for more. They'll probably only read the first page anyhow, then ship out the form rejection.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I thought 50 was only meant for snail mail queries. The site said they didn't open attachments, so I sent the first chapter. a 50 page email is pretty big.

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I was worried about the size of the e-mail. You're probably right though--I worry about these things and he decides off the first page!

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. There is no specific number, its just sample chapters. I think I sent the first 30 to him. :)

One more question! Did you also include the synopsis he asks for on his website, or did you just reply on the mini-synopsis in your query letter?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
As a rule, always give the agent what he or she is requesting. If he wants a synopsis, you should be sure to send the synopsis -- even if you had a "mini-synopsis" in your query letter.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ethan Ellenberg a couple of days ago - I sent 50 pages inline and a synopsis too even though there was a mini-synopsis in my query.

That said, I think the synopsis is a bit flat, so I'm talking it over to SYW for dissection. God, I hate synopses.

Shall keep the world posted on how quickly I get rejected responded to!

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ethan Ellenberg a couple of days ago - I sent 50 pages inline and a synopsis too even though there was a mini-synopsis in my query.

That said, I think the synopsis is a bit flat, so I'm talking it over to SYW for dissection. God, I hate synopses.

Shall keep the world posted on how quickly I get rejected responded to!

I sent a proposal to Ellenberg a few days ago, too. Haven't heard back.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
This is a no response means rejection agency. Their submissions page says if you haven't heard back in two weeks, then consider it a no. At least they say that. Better than those who don't mention that they're non-responders.

Wrum Riter

Registered
Reaction score
If he wants a synopsis, you should be sure to send the synopsis -- even if you had a "mini-synopsis" in your query letter.

Say there, it's been a few years since I looked into all the ROE for submissions (heh, my draft to EA has reference to 80 pages not 50), if the agent requests a "synopsis" they aren't looking for a snippet in the query then?

What's the typical length of a standard synopsis-to-agent?

Thanks much.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Say there, it's been a few years since I looked into all the ROE for submissions (heh, my draft to EA has reference to 80 pages not 50), if the agent requests a "synopsis" they aren't looking for a snippet in the query then?

What's the typical length of a standard synopsis-to-agent?

Thanks much.

You need to ask the agent for specifics. A synopsis can be a short 1-3 page overview of the whole manuscript, or they may want a detailed "chapter-by-chapter" than can be up to 10 pages. A simple, polite email shouldn't be a problem for a direct question.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
From what I've learned, agents like it best if you can manage to pack your synopsis into a single (single spaced) page.

You should have a different query letter (more of a "cover letter") designed to accompany a synopsis, so you aren't repeating synopsis-type details in your query. An agent pointed that out to me a while back.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Any new info on this agent? I'm thinking of submitting, but I'd like more info before I do.