• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

THE REASON AMY IS BUMPING STUFF

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi folks. Amy is Absolute Write's managing editor and my right-hand woman. :)

We were down for more than 24 hours because we've overloaded our database (or somesuch... don't ask me... I just do what the techies tell me to do).

I've asked her to bump all threads that are more than a year old from this board so we don't lose them. I have to optimize our database and will be deleting all threads that are more than a year old. We will then lose threads from the index Cao has created. This is the one board where I don't want to lose old posts, so this is the stop-gap solution so I can continue the database maintenance before we crash again.

I'm trying to beat the clock. Once I finish my maintenance stuff, I'll come back here and start cleaning up (deleting the old threads that didn't need to be brought back up).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Um, er, I'm not sure if in the end you'll be deleting some stuff from here or not (although there's a lot of fluff that could go, IMO). If you do delete stuff from here, could you PM me a list of thread numbers to make it easier for me to cull the index?
:flag:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
CaoPaux said:
Um, er, I'm not sure if in the end you'll be deleting some stuff from here or not (although there's a lot of fluff that could go, IMO). If you do delete stuff from here, could you PM me a list of thread numbers to make it easier for me to cull the index?
:flag:

I've been using your Index (and a handy thing it is, too) to merge a lot of threads.

Essentially -- any time there are two or more threads on the same agent or publisher I'm combining them into one. The ones labeled "worthless" or "spam" (with some few exceptions) are already gone.

In most cases, for those multiples, the thread that remains is the first one listed.

I'm leaving the PA threads alone -- there are too many of them, and too long already -- and the general discussions are also not being combined.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
I've been using your Index (and a handy thing it is, too) to merge a lot of threads.

Essentially -- any time there are two or more threads on the same agent or publisher I'm combining them into one. The ones labeled "worthless" or "spam" (with some few exceptions) are already gone.

In most cases, for those multiples, the thread that remains is the first one listed.

I'm leaving the PA threads alone -- there are too many of them, and too long already -- and the general discussions are also not being combined.
Cool beans! I'll wait 'till Friday to scour it out. Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
In those cases where the title of the thread winds up being "Query" or "Need Help!" I'm changing the thread's title to the agency's name from your list.
:hooray: :Hail: :kiss:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And ... I've gone to the end of your post #4. I'm going to leave post #5 alone (except "spammers" and "nothing of interest") until I have a chance to read and make some sort of decisons on what can be folded into what.

In some few cases I discovered that I didn't have the power to merge threads. I believe those were cases where a more high-powered mod had already merged one or another of the threads, but I could be wrong. Or maybe it was just the phase of the moon.

Next step: To go in and make an on-topic comment in everything that hasn't had a comment since July of last year.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
In some few cases I discovered that I didn't have the power to merge threads. I believe those were cases where a more high-powered mod had already merged one or another of the threads, but I could be wrong.
I've been merging duplicate threads over the past few months, to avoid proliferation--could be you're running into that.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are also a few (mostly PA- and ST-related) that are on other parts of the board, if that makes any difference. In any case, breaktime!

pizza4.gif
pizza4.gif
pizza4.gif

cookies.gif

I figured, since I can't do any of the heavy lifting, it's only right I supply the munchies. :D

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted all of you who are doing the grunt-work to be aware that all of us who benefit from it are genuinely grateful that you're willing to take on the tasks. Thanks!

Maryn

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here's something everyone can do:

Go to the very last page of this board (I believe it's page 32).

Find a thread there that appeals to you.

Read the whole thread.

Post a single on-topic reply.