Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: THE REASON AMY IS BUMPING STUFF

  1. #1
    wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,694

    THE REASON AMY IS BUMPING STUFF

    Hi folks. Amy is Absolute Write's managing editor and my right-hand woman.

    We were down for more than 24 hours because we've overloaded our database (or somesuch... don't ask me... I just do what the techies tell me to do).

    I've asked her to bump all threads that are more than a year old from this board so we don't lose them. I have to optimize our database and will be deleting all threads that are more than a year old. We will then lose threads from the index Cao has created. This is the one board where I don't want to lose old posts, so this is the stop-gap solution so I can continue the database maintenance before we crash again.

    I'm trying to beat the clock. Once I finish my maintenance stuff, I'll come back here and start cleaning up (deleting the old threads that didn't need to be brought back up).
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    Um, er, I'm not sure if in the end you'll be deleting some stuff from here or not (although there's a lot of fluff that could go, IMO). If you do delete stuff from here, could you PM me a list of thread numbers to make it easier for me to cull the index?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  3. #3
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,396
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Um, er, I'm not sure if in the end you'll be deleting some stuff from here or not (although there's a lot of fluff that could go, IMO). If you do delete stuff from here, could you PM me a list of thread numbers to make it easier for me to cull the index?
    I've been using your Index (and a handy thing it is, too) to merge a lot of threads.

    Essentially -- any time there are two or more threads on the same agent or publisher I'm combining them into one. The ones labeled "worthless" or "spam" (with some few exceptions) are already gone.

    In most cases, for those multiples, the thread that remains is the first one listed.

    I'm leaving the PA threads alone -- there are too many of them, and too long already -- and the general discussions are also not being combined.

  4. #4
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    I've been using your Index (and a handy thing it is, too) to merge a lot of threads.

    Essentially -- any time there are two or more threads on the same agent or publisher I'm combining them into one. The ones labeled "worthless" or "spam" (with some few exceptions) are already gone.

    In most cases, for those multiples, the thread that remains is the first one listed.

    I'm leaving the PA threads alone -- there are too many of them, and too long already -- and the general discussions are also not being combined.
    Cool beans! I'll wait 'till Friday to scour it out. Thanks!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  5. #5
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,396
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Cool beans! I'll wait 'till Friday to scour it out. Thanks!
    In those cases where the title of the thread winds up being "Query" or "Need Help!" I'm changing the thread's title to the agency's name from your list.

  6. #6
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    In those cases where the title of the thread winds up being "Query" or "Need Help!" I'm changing the thread's title to the agency's name from your list.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  7. #7
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,396
    And ... I've gone to the end of your post #4. I'm going to leave post #5 alone (except "spammers" and "nothing of interest") until I have a chance to read and make some sort of decisons on what can be folded into what.

    In some few cases I discovered that I didn't have the power to merge threads. I believe those were cases where a more high-powered mod had already merged one or another of the threads, but I could be wrong. Or maybe it was just the phase of the moon.

    Next step: To go in and make an on-topic comment in everything that hasn't had a comment since July of last year.

  8. #8
    Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Far from the madding crowd
    Posts
    6,668
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    In some few cases I discovered that I didn't have the power to merge threads. I believe those were cases where a more high-powered mod had already merged one or another of the threads, but I could be wrong.
    I've been merging duplicate threads over the past few months, to avoid proliferation--could be you're running into that.

    - Victoria

  9. #9
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    There are also a few (mostly PA- and ST-related) that are on other parts of the board, if that makes any difference. In any case, breaktime!




    I figured, since I can't do any of the heavy lifting, it's only right I supply the munchies.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 07-13-2005 at 11:55 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  10. #10
    Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a Pedestal
    Posts
    39,706
    Hey, just wanted all of you who are doing the grunt-work to be aware that all of us who benefit from it are genuinely grateful that you're willing to take on the tasks. Thanks!

    Maryn
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.


    Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

  11. #11
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,396
    Here's something everyone can do:

    Go to the very last page of this board (I believe it's page 32).

    Find a thread there that appeals to you.

    Read the whole thread.

    Post a single on-topic reply.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    25,396
    Thanks, Matt! One further tiny request: In the body of the reply, or the title, please put the name of the publisher or agent so the search tools here will be able to find 'em.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search