Beardless Races

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are races of people that don't grow facial hair, right?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes. They are called women.

Except in Glasgow.

doh!

I thought this was about competitive races between people without facial beards. wind resistance question of some sort.

I don't know if there are races that have zero facial hair. That seems a bit unlikely.

I do know that different races grow facial hair differently. I was told that the reason I have two spots on my cheeks that won't grow hair has something to do with my First Nation connection...but I don't have any evidence to prove this. ???

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I can't provide a link for this, but I recall reading an article years ago claiming that Far Eastern races tended to have lighter facial hair growth than you would get in, say, Caucasians. Native Americans were closely related to them, so there might be a connection.

It claimed that beard growth was something mainly seen in the elderly in China, which is why you get that cliche of the white-haired elder with the really long beard.

(I'm not claiming any of this as fact, by the way. Just something I read.)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I think thats more fashion than anything.

I recall reading an article that talked about how Japanese soldiers who were stationed in Iraq were encouraged to grow moustaches so as to seem less foreign and threatening to the locals. Apparently they were so successful that the Iraqis would frequently compliment them.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First Nation/Native American men have lighter and/or spotty facial hair growth. It's extremely rare to see a decent full beard on an full-blood Indian, regardless of tribe. I understand the same is true of Pacific Islanders, Southeast Asians, the Japanese, and some parts of China. You simply don't see men from unmixed racial-ethnic stock of these groups with the full, bushy facial hair seen in other groups.

However, they do have facial hair. The mustache area and chin may have normal beard growth. It's the cheeks and sideburns where there's less, from none to 'holes.'

Maryn, who's actually thought about this many times

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Stunted sez:
Beardless Races
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are races of people that don't grow facial hair, right?

Maryn sez:
First Nation/Native American men have lighter and/or spotty facial hair growth. It's extremely rare to see a decent full beard on an full-blood Indian, regardless of tribe. I understand the same is true of Pacific Islanders, Southeast Asians, the Japanese, and some parts of China. You simply don't see men from unmixed racial-ethnic stock of these groups with the full, bushy facial hair seen in other groups.

However, they do have facial hair. The mustache area and chin may have normal beard growth. It's the cheeks and sideburns where there's less, from none to 'holes.'

Maryn, who's actually thought about this many times

I don't grow facial hair right. I grow it badly. Gappily. Pretty much as Maryn described. I feel gypped. Just enough Indian in me to grow a crap beard with bald spots. If I don't shave, I look like a hillbilly. Maybe worse, there's such a jumbly mix of other genes in there that I have every color in what does grow. Red brown black blond and, lately, gray. My Indian grandfather never, ever grew a beard, but he did have wispy little Clark Gable mustache.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes...I'm gappy too. My grandmother was Mi'kmaq. I've been told this is why I have bald spots...most especially on my cheeks directly below my cheekbones. Still...not scientific. I don't know how this Native American trait changes with mixed race?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
All people have facial hair, just get out your magnifying lens. Some people have distributions of either thicker (diameter per hair) or denser (more hairs per area) or both compared to others. On your own body, pluck a hair from your scalp, arm, chin, armpit and pubic area and compare them. Next do that with someone from the other gender. Next do it with other races and genders.

The next step is to staunch your bleeding wounds because the others didn't like this little experiment of yours.

Like everything in medicine there is range of findings (a trend) and you are the way you are because your parents are the way they are with a bit of luck tossed into the mix. The trend is that women have a distibution of facial hair that is shorter, finer and less dense than their scalp. Men tend to have thicker hair on their face than their scalp after puberty, (since the surge in testosterone seems to play a role in the conversion of lanugo type hair (like your forearm) to beard hair.

There are trends of racial differences with most Native American and Asian populations have a relative decrease of thickness and density of facial hair. Some might appear to have no facial hair, but it's there, just not as much or as thick. Some populations the beard hair is closer to arm, some closer to scalp, some closer to arm pit etc. It's all a range.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
doh!

I thought this was about competitive races between people without facial beards. wind resistance question of some sort.

I don't know if there are races that have zero facial hair. That seems a bit unlikely.

I do know that different races grow facial hair differently. I was told that the reason I have two spots on my cheeks that won't grow hair has something to do with my First Nation connection...but I don't have any evidence to prove this. ???

My brothers-in-law are competing to see who can grow the best beard within a month. We're calling it the face race.:)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Many American Indian men do not grow beards and some that do can only grow small amounts of facial hair.

Not at all like my hairy faced husband.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the same is true of Pacific Islanders, Southeast Asians, the Japanese, and some parts of China. You simply don't see men from unmixed racial-ethnic stock of these groups with the full, bushy facial hair seen in other groups.

Hah. Has anyone here been to Okinawa lately?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
My half-Cherokee great-great-grandmother, Colorado Missouri Bracken, bequeathed me a lousy beard with spotty distribution similar to others here. On the other hand, somehow I wound up being able to grow a lush, luxuriant mustache. We're talking Wyatt Earp type lip decoration. My brother, oddly enough, grows a decent beard but a skimpy, pathetic excuse for a mustache.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
24d3gx4.jpg

^When the Japanese put their minds to it, they can grow facial hair that would make God himself blush.

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is Hispanic and can't grow a beard to save his life. He has a neat little mustache, but that's as far as it grows. It's just bald.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
24d3gx4.jpg

^When the Japanese put their minds to it, they can grow facial hair that would make God himself blush.

Maybe. But if one's concentration slips, he could end up having to shave his lower back for the next few decades.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Hah. Has anyone here been to Okinawa lately?

Yes...and most men here that have facial hair have very little. Old men with very thin, wispy beards, younger men with stubble but not much more.

No, that's thethinker42 after she'd lived in Okinawa a few months.

Don't make me post the pictures of you after you haven't shaved in a month or two.