William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
My best guess? He was a man smart enough to realize that even the appearance of a politically-motivated killing would lead to a bum rush of judgment, and hopefully less scrutiny on the manner of death.

As this thread so amptly proves.

agreed. but to the credit of even the worst knee-jerkers here, this thread is nothing compared to some at other places.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
FRANKFORT, Ky. – An eastern Kentucky census worker found naked, bound and hanging from a tree had told a friend he intended to kill himself and that he had chosen the time, place and method to do it, police records show.

Those records about the death of Bill Sparkman were released Friday to The Associated Press by the Kentucky State Police.

Sparkman, 51, was found strangled with a rope around his neck near a rural cemetery in September with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest. It triggered a state and federal investigation that ultimately determined he had committed suicide.

The records show that Sparkman's friend, Lowell Adams, who had worked for Sparkman as a part-time security guard since 2007, told investigators that the federal employee wanted his suicide to look like a murder.

>>>>>

Sparkman had taken out two accidental life insurance policies totaling $600,000 that would not pay in case of suicide, authorities said. One policy was taken out in late 2008; the other in May.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100115/ap_on_re_us/us_census_worker_hanged

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
They'll find out on their own that they spent their lives in service to a vicious lie, and that neither heaven nor hell awaits them, but the void. Why should I rush them along?
Or vice-versa.
Of course, if it is oblivion that awaits us, we wouldn't realize it's existence, since if it's an absence of anything and everything, there would be nothing to recognize. It would be like being asleep, for eternity.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Yahoo News said:
Sparkman had taken out two accidental life insurance policies totaling $600,000 that would not pay in case of suicide, authorities said. One policy was taken out in late 2008; the other in May.

IANAL, but unless circumstances have changed, typically no such policy pays out in case of suicide except in one particular state.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Back in my previous existance, I spent thirty years as a managing general (life) agent. Every policy I ever saw had a suicide clause, but those clauses all had a two-year "return of premium" statement. In other words, kill yourself within the first two years of the policy date, and all your family would get is a return of the premiums paid to that date of death. Wait two years and one day, and you could blow your brains out in church and the company would be on the hook for the entire face amount of the policy. Weird, ain't it?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Weird. Our state's class for the license testing must have had it wrong, then.

Well, bear in mind I was only licensed in three states (Ohio as my home state, and Indiana and Kentucky as reciprocals), so policies for those states were the only ones I ever saw. It could very well be, Prince, that in your state that clause was different. :)