• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Medialivros / DIFEL

Paul D. Cohn

Registered
Reaction score
This is Paul D. Cohn, author of “Sao Tome-- Journey to the Abyss-Portugal’s Stolen Children,” and “Rapto em Lisboa,” the latter published by DIFEL in October 2008. “Rapto,” with its new title, is DIFEL’s Portuguese production of “Sao Tome.” DIFEL offered to purchase my copyright for a Portuguese edition in March 2008, and I sent them a signed contract the same month. As part of the contract we agreed to an advance of €1,000, a royalty schedule, and 6-mo. reporting on sales. DIFEL fast-tracked the production, produced a fine translation in an elegant format and had it in bookstores within six months. Despite my requests, they did not send a signed contract until September 2008, and they have never paid my advance or supplied sales data. At first they had a variety of excuses as to why no advance, and lately they refuse to respond at all. I contacted a number of authors (and agents) whose books have been translated and produced by DIFEL. All were either paid at least a year past due or not paid at all. It is my opinion that DIFEL decided from the beginning to steal my copyright: 1) They have a long history of non-payment, 2) I am un-agented and a lesser-known writer, and 3) My home base is far from Lisbon.
My suggestion to writers and agents in dealing with DIFEL is to get your signed contract and payment before you begin the translation and edit. I also believe that the other two imprints of Medialivros, Gótica and Edições Inapa, likely treat translation contracts in the same manner. If you wish to verify this information, please contact Filipe Almedia, DIFEL editor at [email protected], T: 21.885.5055, or the Assistant to the Administrator, Maria Vasconcelos, [email protected], or the Administrator, Rita F. Vital, [email protected], T: 21.885.5055and for INAPA, [email protected]. You may contact me, Paul D. Cohn, at [email protected], or 406.587.5997.
Update (July 13, 2009) - Received first DIFEL sales report (€15,118) for the introductory three months ending January 31, 2009. Royalties for this initial period exceeded the €1,000 advance holdback. Now royalties are also past due.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Cohen, I mean no disrespect by any means, but why would anyone do "business" with this outfit at all? I highly doubt that anyone would ever get the signed contract or money up front, based on your post. Truly, it sounds like your work was hijacked.

So why spend any time or energy in even trying to deal with them? It seems a fruitless use of one's time, not to mention a heartache in the making.

Paul D. Cohn

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand your post, althought I appreciate your interest. My caution is posted so that others avoid this problem in the future. DIFEL has published many famous authors--check their website--and a number of them have been stiffed, paid less than promised, or paid years late. I did business w/them b.c. I liked the idea of my novel, which is about Portuguese and Jewish history, being published in Portuguese. I hope this answers the questions raised in your post. Also, I hope you purchase and read the English Edition, "Sao Tome." It is getting excellent reader reviews on Amazon. Best wishes, Paul Cohn

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand your post, althought I appreciate your interest. My caution is posted so that others avoid this problem in the future. DIFEL has published many famous authors--check their website--and a number of them have been stiffed, paid less than promised, or paid years late. I did business w/them b.c. I liked the idea of my novel, which is about Portuguese and Jewish history, being published in Portuguese. I hope this answers the questions raised in your post. Also, I hope you purchase and read the English Edition, "Sao Tome." It is getting excellent reader reviews on Amazon. Best wishes, Paul Cohn

I'm sure they've published some great stuff, but if they don't abide by the contract and don't pay the author, people should be warned how to do business with them, but rather, not to do business with them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. Last entry on their blog is from Sept '10.