differince between contemporay fiction and fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this, is this good? ok, I've been searching on angentquery and under Fantasy most say contemporay fiction. Now does that mean the same as cotemporay fantasy? Help me clearafi this. thanks.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused by your question. I've never seen any specific agents who have said fantasy and then "under it" said contemporary fiction, unless you're talking about them listing all the genres they deal with.

Many, however, specify contemporary fantasy in the details of what they're looking for.

How exactly are they phrasing this, I guess, is the question?

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I click on the fantasy catergery and it gives me a list of angents. And under Fiction it states they want conmercal fiction. That's what I meant. It only gives Fantasy. So, should I send them urban Fantasy even it only says fantasy?

Deleted member 42

I didn't know where to put this, is this good? ok, I've been searching on angentquery and under Fantasy most say contemporay fiction. Now does that mean the same as cotemporay fantasy? Help me clearafi this. thanks.

Contemporary fiction is the broad category, with Fantasy as a sub-category.

It is, roughly, the same kind of relationship between Cats and Persian cats.

Fantasy is a genre with specific traits; contemporary fiction means it's recent, and fiction.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com

I assume that it means that they don't actually want fantasy, or even urban fantasy.

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
Are you looking through Query Tracker? I ask because I had the same thing happen to me on that site. I ended up looking further into the agent via other sites, including their own page if they had one, to fine tune the search.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
For prioritizing which agents I plan on addressing first, I'm going for ones who specifically say fantasy in their genres of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.