• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Damnation Books

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
Damnation Books and Eternal Press have been quietly sold to a new owner, Spero Publishing run by Alan Leddon. Alan has reached out to the authors in an effort to mitigate the lousy circumstances Kim Richards Gilchrist heaped upon her authors. So far Alan has been honest, direct, and forthcoming, and truly wants to repair relations with the DB/EP authors moving forward. The new owner can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/Spero-Publishing-251479144907643/timeline/

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
So does that mean I'll start getting paid again? Cause I don't see a penny for those two books I published with them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Spero seems to be a very small press with no experience handling large catalogs of genre fiction. But at least in theory they have probably assumed responsibility for the debt. I would suggest drawing this to Alan Leddon's attention.

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
Grr. Sorry if this posts twice. Contact Alan. He promised to let folks review whatever old paperwork he gets as long as folks will sign a waiver to keep him clear of Kim's illegal BS.

- - - Updated - - -

The arrangement makes it so Kim is liable for all past financial and legal issues. Still, contact Alan.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
I have been in touch with Victoria Strauss of SFWA Writer Beware fame with the issues I know to be true. She requests all Caliburn writers and editors with concerns to send her documented evidence as I have. She wants to put out a notice about the new owners and their inability to run a professional organization ethically, but she needs more people to corroborate my story. Please, please do so. I'd hate to see others get tangled up in the same web. Victoria has assured me that all reports are kept confidential.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Wasn't Eternal somehow affiliated with Kensington in some capacity? I think it was something to do with distribution.... I might have to hit up the Eternal thread to verify this. I was with Eternal before this major bust and buyout. But I sure the heck suffered non-existent sales, too.

Maybe you're thinking of Lyrical Press (which is owned by Kensington)? For some reason, my brain often mixes up Eternal Press and Lyrical Press.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Maybe you're thinking of Lyrical Press (which is owned by Kensington)? For some reason, my brain often mixes up Eternal Press and Lyrical Press.

Oh, damn. I get them crossed all the time too. I believe you're right. The irony is, I was pubbed by Lyrical in 2009. Should have known better.

caracy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
The latest on the publisher. He just sent me this link to crowd fund this publishing endeavor through a brick and mortar location: https://www.gofundme.com/2c3pzqnn/

Sounds like he had more turnover and instability going on to the point he wants strangers to fund him.

caracy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
I really want to know how the "spiritual book store" is going to work with the line of erotic coloring books he has planned.

Spearhead

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a comment (a warning) on Alan Leddon of Caliburn Publishing, who took over Damnation Books more than a year ago. I've been in touch with Ms. Victoria Strauss of Science Fiction Writers of America. She's quite knowledgeable of Alan Leddon's tactics. Yes, he seems helpful and sincere at first, but when it comes to paying royalties and standing by any projection of a publication date, he'll inevitably leave you in the dark. His reputation has grown increasingly dire among those who have dealt with him since he's taken over Damnation. Without question, Damnation had its problems with the prior owners, but Leddon has taken matters to a whole new, disgraceful level. Watch out for this guy. For those who've been burnt, touch base with Ms. Strauss. For those just curious about Leddon's grimy reputation, touch base with Ms. Strauss. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Last edited:

WDusty

Registered
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be able to bail out of that catastrophe shortly after The Witch sold off her company to Alan. I could smell a debacle-in-the-making, and from the looks of things, that's what's going on.

seashelly

Registered
Reaction score
There is an astounding lack of information as to what is going on behind the scenes. People who want to know if and when their books will be published or if and when they should expect to receive royalties are told: 1. that Alan is slaving away on authors' manuscripts, payroll, editing, etc., 2. that numerous staff who have quit Caliburn are awful, dishonest human beings who were out to screw him, and 3. that he is finally getting all Caliburn's ducks in a row himself, personally (see #1). This has been going on for over a year, same old same old. Even the die-hard cheerleaders among the authors have been silent lately.

FortressFire

Registered
Reaction score
Alan is crook, a liar, and never to be trusted. I had two books with Damnation under the umbrella of first Kim Richards, then when I asked for my rights back from Alan, he sent an email back saying he would and ccp''d some other person, telling her to 'put me on the list.' Whatever. Well, four years later, one of my books which isn't even in print he still has for sale on his ebook options. I just enjoy watching him burn himself to the ground at this point; I really could less about the book. If you check out their links to physical books, perhaps five out of the forty or so listed is even available...lol. In this biz, what goes around, comes around. ;-)