Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Thread: Damnation Books

practical experience, FTW Lordofthehunt's Avatar
    Damnation Books and Eternal Press have been quietly sold to a new owner, Spero Publishing run by Alan Leddon. Alan has reached out to the authors in an effort to mitigate the lousy circumstances Kim Richards Gilchrist heaped upon her authors. So far Alan has been honest, direct, and forthcoming, and truly wants to repair relations with the DB/EP authors moving forward. The new owner can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/Spero-Publi...7643/timeline/

So does that mean I'll start getting paid again? Cause I don't see a penny for those two books I published with them.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

Goodreads Giveaway for FIX ME going on right now!

Pre-order FIX ME and get book swag!

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Spero seems to be a very small press with no experience handling large catalogs of genre fiction. But at least in theory they have probably assumed responsibility for the debt. I would suggest drawing this to Alan Leddon's attention.
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW Lordofthehunt's Avatar
    Grr. Sorry if this posts twice. Contact Alan. He promised to let folks review whatever old paperwork he gets as long as folks will sign a waiver to keep him clear of Kim's illegal BS.

- - - Updated - - -

The arrangement makes it so Kim is liable for all past financial and legal issues. Still, contact Alan.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Parent restructured into Caliburn Press: https://sites.google.com/site/caliburnpressllc/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Expert on Absolutely Nothing caracy's Avatar
    I have been in touch with Victoria Strauss of SFWA Writer Beware fame with the issues I know to be true. She requests all Caliburn writers and editors with concerns to send her documented evidence as I have. She wants to put out a notice about the new owners and their inability to run a professional organization ethically, but she needs more people to corroborate my story. Please, please do so. I'd hate to see others get tangled up in the same web. Victoria has assured me that all reports are kept confidential.
    Never say never.

http://www.francinezane.com

Shyster & Shyster
    - Available Now!

Wasn't Eternal somehow affiliated with Kensington in some capacity? I think it was something to do with distribution.... I might have to hit up the Eternal thread to verify this. I was with Eternal before this major bust and buyout. But I sure the heck suffered non-existent sales, too.

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    Wasn't Eternal somehow affiliated with Kensington in some capacity? I think it was something to do with distribution.... I might have to hit up the Eternal thread to verify this. I was with Eternal before this major bust and buyout. But I sure the heck suffered non-existent sales, too.
    Maybe you're thinking of Lyrical Press (which is owned by Kensington)? For some reason, my brain often mixes up Eternal Press and Lyrical Press.
    Last edited by Bubastes; 04-14-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
    Maybe you're thinking of Lyrical Press (which is owned by Kensington)? For some reason, my brain often mixes up Eternal Press and Lyrical Press.
    Oh, damn. I get them crossed all the time too. I believe you're right. The irony is, I was pubbed by Lyrical in 2009. Should have known better.

The latest on the publisher. He just sent me this link to crowd fund this publishing endeavor through a brick and mortar location: https://www.gofundme.com/2c3pzqnn/

Sounds like he had more turnover and instability going on to the point he wants strangers to fund him.
    Never say never.

Shyster & Shyster
    - Available Now!

I really want to know how the "spiritual book store" is going to work with the line of erotic coloring books he has planned.
    Never say never.

Shyster & Shyster
    - Available Now!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Here's a comment (a warning) on Alan Leddon of Caliburn Publishing, who took over Damnation Books more than a year ago. I've been in touch with Ms. Victoria Strauss of Science Fiction Writers of America. She's quite knowledgeable of Alan Leddon's tactics. Yes, he seems helpful and sincere at first, but when it comes to paying royalties and standing by any projection of a publication date, he'll inevitably leave you in the dark. His reputation has grown increasingly dire among those who have dealt with him since he's taken over Damnation. Without question, Damnation had its problems with the prior owners, but Leddon has taken matters to a whole new, disgraceful level. Watch out for this guy. For those who've been burnt, touch base with Ms. Strauss. For those just curious about Leddon's grimy reputation, touch base with Ms. Strauss. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Last edited by Spearhead; 11-24-2016 at 05:11 AM.

So damnation has taken even more of a worse turn. Good to know. I can't see any subs to them in my archives. Only way back there, and I do believe I had contract offer from them three years ago, which I declined. I don't remember the reason why I passed on them.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WDusty's Avatar
    I was fortunate enough to be able to bail out of that catastrophe shortly after The Witch sold off her company to Alan. I could smell a debacle-in-the-making, and from the looks of things, that's what's going on.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin falconara's Avatar
    There is an astounding lack of information as to what is going on behind the scenes. People who want to know if and when their books will be published or if and when they should expect to receive royalties are told: 1. that Alan is slaving away on authors' manuscripts, payroll, editing, etc., 2. that numerous staff who have quit Caliburn are awful, dishonest human beings who were out to screw him, and 3. that he is finally getting all Caliburn's ducks in a row himself, personally (see #1). This has been going on for over a year, same old same old. Even the die-hard cheerleaders among the authors have been silent lately.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213