Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Your first book has to be good to be picked up, the problem is that your second doesn't.

Actually it does ( especially if you didn't get a multi-book deal. Even if you did, I've heard of authors having to totally re-write the second book)

If you've been previously published you have a slight edge - that is, as you have written one book of sufficient quality for someone to pay you for it, the editor is maybe just a touch more willing to look at it. Note I don't say buy it. If they don't like it, or they don't think it'll sell - they won't publish it.

Unless you're Stephen King lol, in which case you might have a point because millions will buy anything he writes, regardless of how good it is. Then again, for many people, his worst books are better than many others best.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
What does the agent do?

Unless an agent is actively building their client list, finding and signing new authors is at the low end up their TO DO list.

Agents:

* Prepare submissions to editors, which includes editorial work on books being submitted, preparing the sub letter, researching editors and prepping the list for submission.

*Make submissions/pitch to editors. This can be done via phone or email. They also send out the manuscript, either via courier or email (depending on preferences). They keep track of all incoming rejections/offers/feedback.

*Read and offer editorial advice on proposals/manuscripts of current clients. I've heard Kristin Nelson say she has months were no new books come in, then four authors will send something at once. It ebbs and flows, but current clients always come first.

*Negotiating contracts when deals are made. This is more labor intensive than I ever imagined. Verbal deals come first, then the signed contracts come. Changes are made and must be approved. Copies must be signed and sent to the appropriate parties.

*Selling other rights, such as foreign sales, audiobooks, film rights, and other media translations (graphic novel, for example). All of these sales also require contract negotiation/signing.

*Answering emails/phone calls from clients and editors over various aspects of projects--anything from cover disputes to making sure royalties are paid in a timely fashion.

And this is all stuff for CURRENT CLIENTS.

Some agents go through their queries and submissions from hopeful new authors themselves. Some don't. With daily responsibilities like the ones I listed above, sometimes I'm amazed agents have the time and energy to look at stuff from unpublished authors. But they do. Many agents also have 80 hour work weeks. They work on weekends, in the evenings, all the time.

I don't really begrudge a busy agent hiring an intern to sift through the slush in order to find the decent stuff. Because there will always be a lot of slush.

Agents who aren't actively seeking clients still read queries, because they don't want to miss out on a gem of a new idea/author. They don't owe it to us to read our queries. They want to. If your query isn't good enough to make it past an unpaid intern, then it isn't on the agent or the intern. It's on your query.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Agents make deals.

Interns are the first line people who weed out 95% of the crud out there, queries and mss. that are obviously not up to standards (despite what the writers might think). It's like the interns and med students at a hospital. Yeah, it feels "sucky" that you get treated by a med student or intern instead of a "real" doctor but these people are still trained and professionals. The doctors are way too busy to have to deal with every patient that comes through the door.

Great agents and agencies hire only qualified people, just like hospitals hire only qualified people. Do you get bad people? Of course, but nothing is perfect.

The thing is writers all think their stuff is hot, and that they're the center of the agent's universe. Not true. There's stiff competition out there and just because you wrote a book doesn't cut it. It has to be good... It has to be better than 99% of what's out there.

Anyone can play baseball, but not everyone can go to the Major League. Is it fair? No. The only thing you can do, if you think you have what it takes, is to work hard, try hard and write a damn good book.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
BTW, books have been pulled out from slush piles. The Notebook, for example, which went on to become a bestseller.

That's the thing, you never know. Don't diss the intern -- he or she may be the one who pulls your query/mss. out of the slush when the agent is too busy making deals.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, books have been pulled out from slush piles. The Notebook, for example, which went on to become a bestseller.

That's the thing, you never know. Don't diss the intern -- he or she may be the one who pulls your query/mss. out of the slush when the agent is too busy making deals.

As was Twilight. The intern saved it from trash file oblivion.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Hard evidence that there are new authors getting published all the time?

Of course they do.

If you'd read the thread you would have seen I personally had no disagreement with this.

This thread has waddled all over the place on various almost unrelated questions. The last specific question I was discussing with several people was related to percentage of new debut authors going big publisher first time vs. to small/mid tier. For which we had no hard evidence.

Sorry, should have bowed out already. The swinging's gotten far too wild in here.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerose
You came on with wild accusations that ZERO new authors are being signed

I haven't said ZERO, I've said few--which is more.

Actually, your thread title is "No new books from first time writers." "No new" does equate to zero, which is where people are drawing the reference from.

Books should be published based on their content, not on the name on the cover. I'm tired of picking up books of authors I liked and feeling like I've wasted my money.

If the quality of the authors you liked slips, then I submit that you're beating the wrong dead horse.

Once signed, most authors suddenly find themselves on deadlines that they didn't face before publication. Deadlines put a lot of stress on the newly published, stress they've never had to deal with before. From those I've watched go through it the most common response is "Suddenly, it's all so real--so important. I just don't feel like I have the time I used to have."

Another challenge is that when a newly published author says/agrees that "I can write a book in a year" which is what sets the deadline, they don't take into consideration all the time they're going to have to deal with editors, rewrites, galleys and other necessities of getting the first book through production. These can easily cut a month or two out of the year you have for the next book.

And Heavens forbid that the author or a loved one becomes seriously ill, has a death in the family, gets laid off from the money-job or any of the other normal life-changing things that can happen to a person/family. Your book is on a schedule and if that original deadline gets missed, it could be another 3, 6, 12 months before the book could be worked back in. When starting a new career, that's not a good way to impress the new boss you've worked so hard, for so long to acquire.

More stress plus less time can equal not-quite-as-good-a-book. Sometimes not on the second book, sometimes not at all, but it can.

These are all things that the reader will have no understanding of, which is reasonable. The end-user of a mass-produced product will--and should--never know all the ins-and-outs that goes into getting that thing into their hands. All they know is whether or not they're happy with the end product--which is also reasonable.

But the problem for this doesn't lie with the agents. It's shared between a publishing company that wants things as fast as possible and a newly published author who doesn't realize all the ins-and-outs of the business they've just been hired into and is going to make mistakes.

Over the last 30 years, I've seen knowledge about publishing shift from something that was regarded with awe and fear and a strong "don't tell, it's privledged" attitude to the "secret workings" becoming more and more public knowledge. The information is out there--but not all writers have soaked it up yet. (It probably never will happen because you never get 100% of people doing anything, even if it's for their own good.) But when the majority of the unpublished have less of a rose-colored view of what happens after they sign the contract, when they focus their energies less on "pleasing the editor" and be more true to what they need to create quality fiction, then there should be less disappointment, IMO.

Now, that's a solution you've asked of me:publish only materials worthy of publishing regardless of who's the author. i'm sure the market will be hesitant in the beginning but it will adjust and maybe people will start buying books again and be pleased with them, and not feel like they have been tricked by the cover.

We fundamentally disagree on this point. The vast majority of books bought are bought because of the author's name on the cover. The average reader is happy with "same but different" and if the quality of writing isn't as high as it used to be, honestly, it has to drop to a serious level of unreadable before they'll notice. When that happens, then they stop buying the books. When sales slack off, then the author gets the shake-up where they either improve or get dropped by the publisher.

And, frankly, one reader's "lack of quality" is sure to be the one thing another reader picks up the author for.

Any individual will have a point at which the quality of writing isn't as high as it used to be, but until the amount of individuals hit that point, it won't be a blip on anyone's radar, even the author's. Sad, lamentable, but a fact of life. Apparently you have a lot higher definition of quality than the majority of the book-buying public. That's unfortunate, since you will always be among the first to be disappointed. I'm afraid that's a personal challenge you're going to have to deal with and overcome. Ranting here, or anywhere, isn't going to change the way the business runs.

That was the first reason why I started the thread. The second...
On Craigslist (NY) I see every week ads from literary agency looking for interns.

<snip>

Between 5 and 10 manuscripts a week? For an intern? Plus the queries? The writers' queries and manuscripts are read by unpaid interns? That's not what some of you said. What does the agent do? He saves her/himself for the best? And who tells her/him which is the best? The intern?

Answers: Only 5-10 ms a week--that's a light load from my limited experience (my daughter was an intern at the rate of 800 in 3 months)
Yes
Yes
Yes
The agent is the salesperson, the contract negotiator, the career advisor, the watchdog of the markets, the one with the connections into the industry, the author's eyes, ears and voice on the publishing world--which allows the author to focus on writing their books. Without the agent, the author would have to figure out how to do all this by themselves.
He/She decides what is the best. The interns go through the slush piles and sort out the 90% that are incomprehensible, not written in the proper language, not submitted in a legible manner, and other basic criteria. IF the submission passes those measures, then the agent will get a small blurb about what the intern was able to actually read of the story, which will help the decide what to read further on, what to request and, ultimately, what to represent.

Apparently you're unaware of the magnitude of submissions an agent or editor is faced with.

A small agency will get hundreds of submissions a month. A large agency will get thousands a month.

And you're expecting a single agent to go through all of those AND have time to shop around accepted books, discuss possible rewrites and career goals and options, to go over contracts, to coordinate and hold bidding wars, not to mention to sleep, eat, and have a semblence of a personal life.

Personally, I think you're being a little unrealistic with your objection to agents/editors using the traditional help of unpaid interns, as they have been doing for--well--pretty much since there was a publishing business.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Of course they do.

If you'd read the thread you would have seen I personally had no disagreement with this.

This thread has waddled all over the place on various almost unrelated questions. The last specific question I was discussing with several people was related to percentage of new debut authors going big publisher first time vs. to small/mid tier. For which we had no hard evidence.

Sorry, should have bowed out already. The swinging's gotten far too wild in here.

Ah, my mistake - I hadn't read the whole thread

Though why it matters whether it's big publishers or mid tier, as long as new authors' books are getting on the shelves I can't quite work out.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Your first book has to be good to be picked up, the problem is that your second doesn't.

That is absolutely not true. Unless your first book is a bestseller, your second book has to be at least as good to get picked up. In some cases, it may have to be even better. For example, if your first book didn't earn enough to cover the advance, you are not likely to get the interest of too many publishers.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Interns are the first line people who weed out 95% of the crud out there, queries and mss. that are obviously not up to standards (despite what the writers might think). It's like the interns and med students at a hospital. Yeah, it feels "sucky" that you get treated by a med student or intern instead of a "real" doctor but these people are still trained and professionals. The doctors are way too busy to have to deal with every patient that comes through the door.

I completely agree with that. Don't bash interns. I've had the pleasure of working with many competent interns, some, far more diligent and insightful than the full-timers they were reporting to.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
lalanda:
Your first book has to be good to be picked up, the problem is that your second doesn't. With that I have a problem. Books should be published based on their content, not on the name on the cover.

Books are published based on their content. It's one reason why agents are reporting that more publishers are using their "not of publishable quality" right to veto manuscripts. It's a hot topic of debate within the industry at the moment.

lalanda:
I loved the first book in the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson (not a first time author). Smart, witty, I couldn't wait for the second. Well the second, I think is not even edited. It reads like a first draft, not something worthy of the press. Do you think the agent really (deeply) read it?
The second of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins--very disappointing.

So books should only be published if you like them? I've not read Brandon Sanderson, but I am reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins and it's a well paced, well executed futristic thriller that will doubtless sell as many, if not more copies than The Hunger Games. And incidentally, if you want to use Suzanne Collins as your example then you should be aware that she got some crucifying reviews for The Hunger Games from qualified reviewers, but the book was a massive hit regardless.

lalanda:
Now, that's a solution, which you've asked of me: publish only materials worthy of publishing regardless of who's the author. I'm sure the market will be hesitant in the beginning but it will adjust and perhaps people will begin buying books again and be pleased with them, and not feel like they have been tricked by the cover.

As has been told you countless times on this Thread, publishers do publish material that they consider worthy of publishing regardless of who the author is. This is why there are plenty of debut authors out there whose writing is being read.

lalanda:
You ask for stats to back that up, and unless you're going to take my word for the fact that I've gone through enough bookstores lately investigating this issue and actually counted the number of new books fanned out on the shelves (which some of you obviously don't believe I did--your choice), I can't give them to you.

Given that you previously said:

lalanda:
You can combat me as much as you want but the stats are there to prove it.

and posters have provided countless examples of debut authors who have been published, your statement is baloney.

lalanda:
Between 5 and 10 manuscripts a week? For an intern? Plus the queries? The writers' queries and manuscripts are read by unpaid interns? That's not what some of you said. What does the agent do? He doesn't save her/himself for the best? And who tells her/him which is the best? The intern?

Others have given you an excellent summary of what agents do, all I'll add to it is that interns and assistants quickly develop a very good eye for what is and is not publishable and are usually attuned to the agent's taste.

MM

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You ask for stats to back that up, and unless you're going to take my word for the fact that I've gone through enough bookstores lately investigating this issue and actually counted the number of new books fanned out on the shelves (which some of you obviously don't believe I did--your choice), I can't give them to you.
But you said there were stats to prove it? I took that to mean there were actual, real stats.

Of course if you can provide some statistical evidence of the above, I'd be happy to do more than take your word for it.
The onus is still on you to back up your claims. Let me explain why.

What you've provided so far is anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is not statistical evidence.

In response to the anecdotal evidence you provided (the one bookstore you mentioned in your initial post) other writers have come back with evidence of their own. However, while their evidence may still be teetering on the edge of anecdotal, it's a lot easier to verify (as in, they-are/have-been-recently first time authors with books on shelves and contracts and suchlike) and match to what we know of the publishing industry than unverified claims regarding one bookstore are. So really, the onus is back on you to provide further evidence of what you have been stating as fact.

I think the reason why you feel people are 'punching' is less the anecdotal evidence you've provided than the blanket (and usually insulting) generalizations you've thrown about. And you've apologized for that, which is nice, even if the rest of your post continues in basically the same vein as your previous posts.

If you want to collate statistics (and, as you are the one who started the thread and makes the unsubstantiated claims, that's really your responsibility) a good place to start is here: Publisher's Marketplace. Registered members can peruse the Deals Archive which, while not all-encompassing, is fairly representative of what's happening throughout the industry. Debut deals should be marked as debut deals, too.

That should provide plenty of evidence as to whether or not books from new authors are getting bought and published. As to whether they're in bookstores, perhaps anecdotal evidence is all we can really get on that. But at the moment it appears the anecdotal evidence for 'yes, they are' far outweighs the anecdotal evidence for 'no, they're not.'

Good luck!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to collate statistics (and, as you are the one who started the thread and makes the unsubstantiated claims, that's really your responsibility) a good place to start is here: Publisher's Marketplace. Registered members can peruse the Deals Archive which, while not all-encompassing, is fairly representative of what's happening throughout the industry. Debut deals should be marked as debut deals, too.

That should provide plenty of evidence as to whether or not books from new authors are getting bought and published. As to whether they're in bookstores, perhaps anecdotal evidence is all we can really get on that. But at the moment it appears the anecdotal evidence for 'yes, they are' far outweighs the anecdotal evidence for 'no, they're not.'

Good luck!

Good idea, but unfortunately many debut deals don't have the word 'debut' in them. I searched Pub. Market for debut fiction and it only came up with 57 in the past 12 months, 120 for the past two years. I'm in a group of 80 YA/MG debut authors whose books are coming out next year with major publishing companies, and I know there are many, many other books coming out in other genres and from smaller companies. Those 80 aren't the total either; they are just authors who decided to band together. Many agents and publishing companies don't report to Publishers Marketplace.

I'd love to know the total too, but I just don't know how to find it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good idea, but unfortunately many debut deals don't have the word 'debut' in them. I searched Pub. Market for debut fiction and it only came up with 57 in the past 12 months, 120 for the past two years. I'm in a group of 80 YA/MG debut authors whose books are coming out next year with major publishing companies, and I know there are many, many other books coming out in other genres and from smaller companies. Those 80 aren't the total either; they are just authors who decided to band together. Many agents and publishing companies don't report to Publishers Marketplace.

I'd love to know the total too, but I just don't know how to find it.
Well, scratch that idea then :), though it could still work as a starting point, but definitely not a complete picture. But your comment just above about the group you're in of YA/MG debut authors is pretty good evidence (and more than anecdotal) that plenty of new authors are getting published.

Last edited:

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
kids series

:hi: Have to say I think it must be rare for a new author to get in the kids section of the bookstore at least, just because every time I look all I see are series and movie or tv spin offs. :popcorn:
Taste wise this is rather inconvenient though understandable. I like kids books (12 yrs and up). I want to study them to learn to write for them, but also I just enjoy reading. (No bad language, etc.) But I can't afford to get 'hooked' on a series which probably won't be in the local library.
Its unfortunate really. There are those among us who prefer to browse a book in person to decide on it, rather than rely on an internet description.
But look on the bright side!:Sun:
Before the internet, if it wasn't in a book store or a catalog, you couldn't get it or sell it. (At least I can't think how.)
And as hard as it is to get the word out, the bookstores will order it if people ask for it. You never know. If the right people read it, it could snowball until they do stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.