• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SageChild

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: open to swaps.

What I read: Literary Fiction, NA, Historical. I love Crime, Thriller, and Mystery. Controversial issues and social commentary are always welcome as well. Swearing and gore is all good. Any length.
Poetry.

What I don't read: YA (especially protagonists below 18), Romance if it's the main plot, Fantasy, Apocalyptic genres and Mary Sue characters.
Short stories.

What I write: Crime, Mystery and Literary Fiction.

Style: Everything's alright.

Length: I can do chapter-by-chapter feedback and line edits, or big picture feedback. I prefer to work with writers who can tell me what their goal is for a storyline/chapter/plot/characters' relationship etc. It makes my feedback more accurate and helpful.

GailK

Registered
Reaction score
I love early American history and and metaphysics. Would love to betaread that genre.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I'm up for pretty much anything! I'm not too picky when it comes to genre, style, and the like. Disclaimer: if you're looking for someone who is going to brutally rip apart your piece and find issue in every word, I'm not your girl. I'll tell you where I see problems, but I like to keep things positive. I'll point out errors when I find them, but I'll also end up showering you in compliments when I love something you've done. If you're a little nervous about sharing your work or looking for a softer, positivity-focused critique, I think we'd make a good match!

Availability: Closed for now! I wasn't expecting so many people to PM me, haha! Once I've worked through these requests I'll open this back up.

What I read/don't read: I'll read just about anything, with the exceptions of horror and romance. In that same vein, please don't ask me to read anything with a lot of adult/sexual content. If your story has only a brief scene or two with graphic details, just let me know in advance and I would still be willing to read it. I'll skip over those and give you feedback on the rest of the piece.

Length: I would appreciate if you kept it under 80k. I'm a full-time college student with multiple part-time jobs, so in order to give you a reasonable turn around time, I can't take on anything past that.

Experience: I hosted a creative writing club for two years, and before that, I was a member for two. I ended up beta reading for pretty much everyone in it, so I have some experience on that front. I'm also a semi-professional writer, and currently work as a columnist, guest writer, or on the editing team for a few different reputable news sites.

Last edited:

lizzieamy

Escapist, Dreamer, etc
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: available!

What I read: most things, as long as it’s not geared towards younger readers. So upper-YA, NA, adult. Women’s fiction, historical, mystery, some fantasy, contemporary, literary fiction. I love (flawed) character-driven stories with strong voices. I have a soft spot for magical realism.

What I don’t read: non-fiction, romance/erotica, horror.

Length: preferably 100k or less, will consider something longer if I like the synopsis.

Style: I’m new around here but will be best for big-picture issues, character development, plot, general flow, voice. I have a hard time ignoring spelling and grammatical mistakes so might pick them out (so please no rough drafts). I’m happy to tailor feedback to what you are looking for. I will be honest and constructive, I’ll tell you what I like as well as what doesn’t work so well.

Experience: not much experience, except a lifetime of reading whatever I can lay my hands on.

Time: anywhere from 1-3 weeks depending on length of your work, and my ability to juggle life/university/writing. Will let you know if I am behind schedule.

Please PM me with a synopsis of your work, and we can take it from there. I would prefer your work to be finished so I can tackle the whole manuscript at once.

Last edited:

elizabeth13

Registered
Reaction score
Available: Open to swaps

Preference: any genre of YA except for sci-fi and fantasy. I love YA novels that focus on characters' emotional growth and have strong voice.

I currently have 2 contemporary YA novels and an adult novel (focused on a 26 y/o) for swap.

Style: I focus mainly on issues with dialogue and characterization. Generally I'll leave comments in the text of the novel if I see something glaring and then give about a page of written impressions at the end. I'm pretty straightforward

Turnaround: About a week - I'll give a heads up if it'll take longer than that.

sozme22

Registered
Reaction score
Available: Open to swaps. - My novel is science fiction/cross-genre

Preference: Any genre of Science Fiction or Fantasy or Medical Thriller/Medical Mystery

Experience: Critiqued on the major sites (CritiqueCircle, Scribophile, OWW)

Style: I focus on character development and deeper plot issues. I am relatively weaker on dialogue and writing active setting/description in general. I also am a 4th year M.D. student (currently applying for residency) who can help critique any medical plotlines.

Turnaround: Within 3-4 days.

Contact via PM - willing to trade sample chapters to see if we would be a good fit.

Last edited:

asmcdermott

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently closed. Hope to be available for beta reads again soon.

Favorites: Anything speculative - be it horror, sci-fi or fantasy. I'll read any age group, but my focus is on YA.

Preferences: I prefer highly original, exciting stories with diverse characters that have been through at least a couple of drafts.

Not interested: Nonfiction or verse.

Length: Anything up to 120,000 words.

Style: I make comments as I go along. Mainly on story/character issues but also any grammar or spelling issues that really jump out of me. I also give you a detailed summary of what I liked and didn't like at the end.

Commitment:
I prefer to start with the first few chapters so I can give you feedback and make sure I'm giving you what you require. After that you can either send me the whole manuscript or several chapters at a time, whichever you prefer.

Timeframe: I can usually critique a chapter a day, sometimes more or less, depending on the length.

Experience: I have been writing and critiquing stories for almost 20 years, and have taken several writing classes.

My Story's Blurb (YA, 77k): For sixteen-year-old Julie Jackson, being able to punch through brick walls and shrug off knives and bullets is no dream. It's a curse that could land her in prison for the rest of her life, or worse.
A generation after the Supranormal War decimated the world, Julie lives in hiding with a group of other gifted teenagers, called Supras. Guarded by a telepathic veteran of the war, they try to stay one step ahead of the Normalizers – a ruthless police force immune to their powers. But when Julie breaks their cover to rescue another Supra, the Normalizers soon attack their hideout and capture their guardian.
Forced to flee, Julie and her friends have one last hope. The rescued Supra, a frightened young man named Steve, carries a mutated gene which may counteract the Normalizers' immunity. But before they can use it, Julie must face her greatest fear, and discover the truth that has been kept from them about the war. If they succeed in their desperate mission, they have a chance to become the heroes the world told them they could never be.

Contact info: If you're interested in swapping, send me a PM with your blurb and genre info. Then we can discuss exchanging the first few chapters of our manuscripts.

Last edited:

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: UNAVAILABLE

Preferences: MG, below 65K. YA below 100K. Only more polished ms in terms of spelling, grammar etc. Too many of those errors and I'm out.

Style: I'm a newbie here, so still learning about writing jargons. But I can tell you which parts bore me, confuse me, excite me and plot holes etc.

Experience: Done several betas.

Timeline: 2-3 weeks.

Contact: ​PM me with your query. If it sounds like my cup of tea, I'll read and crit a few chapters. If it seems like we’ll work well together, I’ll ask for the whole ms.

Last edited:

mornamac

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open

Preferences: Romance or erotic romance, dystopian fiction or horror, possibly fantasy but the story would need to appeal to me.

Style: I've only had one crit partner before so this will be my first time beta reading. I'm thinking of a more general overview rather than a line by line edit. I will be happy to give feedback at the end of each chapter looking at character development, plot development and pacing. I will also pick up on word overuse and poor grammar but unless grammar and spelling errors are repetitive I won't correct each one. I am fairly easy to please so if you are a nervous writer looking for someone to be gentle I'd probably be a good starting point. If you want me to rip you to shreds let me know and I'll do my best!

Experience: None beta reading but I do have a medical degree so I will fact check medical stuff to an extent if that is asked for.

Timeline: Depends how good your book is! If it's awesome I'll be done in a couple of days, if I find it hard going 2-3 weeks.

Contact: Please PM me a synopsis so I can see if we will work well together.

Ultimately I would love to trade books but I only write romance and I would want a beta who was as into the genre as I am.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I have a post on here from way back, but can't find it. So I hope this is ok.

Availability- Nope!

Preference- SF/F, mostly. Added points if it veers towards the more realistic side. I'm open to crime/mystery, and like gritty. Always interested in who's writing humor our there, my own sensibilities get pretty salty & bizarre. No YA this time around, please.

Experience- Beta'd a few time.

Timeline- Probably gonna take my time with this one. 2 Months? Maybe before the holidays, if I Nanowrimo.

Contact- PM me!

Last edited:

RebeccaMinnar

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open. About to begin summer break, so I should have way too much time on my hands.

Will read: Fantasy, scifi, dystopian, adventure, mystery... I'm willing to give almost anything a shot if it sounds interesting!

Won't read: Erotica. At all. I'm also not inclined to read romance or contemporary, although I might give contemporary a shot depending on the plot.

Style: I will try to match what you want. I'm most comfortable reading through checking punctuation, giving feedback on the characters and story itself, as well as occasionally suggesting something to make it flow better. I am, however, willing to try to do more if you'd like, such as line-by-line editing.

Experience: I have been a beta for two people, one of whom I have read multiple manuscripts. In addition, I've written three unpublished books myself and begun to edit each, but have only succeeded in finishing edits on one. My ultimate goal is to become an editor or english teacher, even if it doesn't pay super well. As such, I would love any experience I could get.

Timeline: I seem to read best if I get the manuscript a chapter at a time, and it usually takes me approximately a week before I send it back.

Contact: Please PM me a synopsis of the book, as well as whatever details you feel necessary. If I'm interested, I'll ask for the first couple chapters to see if we'd be a good match. I tend to check the site ever couple days, so don't be disappointed if I haven't been active recently--It's just a matter of time before I show my face again.

I am also willing to swap with anything other than what I will not read. I currently have a dystopian that's just under 83k and focuses more on the characters and their growth rather than the usual dystopian routes in need of a beta. Any form of editing would be fine. If you're interested in swapping, please say so in your PM and I will reply with the synopsis for this manuscript.

Last edited:

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not available

What I'll read:

-CONTEMPORARY YA ONLY PLEASE
-First person (present tense or past)
-Light romances
-Dark, gritty stories
-Thriller/mystery
-Unlikable characters are okay with me!
-I prefer mss that have been beta read by other people already. Ideally, I'd love to help authors do that final polish before they start querying agents. I'll even help with query letters!

What I won't read:

-Dystopian, fantasy, sci-fi, adult, erotica...basically anything other than realistic YA contemp
-Third person
-Very messy, unpolished, never-even-been-edited-by-you drafts

Length:

-60k-90k words (if complete)
-Your ms does NOT have to be complete. I'll read what you have, even if it's just a few chapters, as long as it's in decent shape.

My style:

I'll do a thorough critique and give you my honest opinion. I'm blunt but not mean. Send me your novel in MS Word and I'll use track changes, correcting grammar and typos and commenting in the margins. Along with that, I'll write a few paragraphs on what I thought worked and didn't work. Depending on word count and what I have going on, I can have it back to you in less than two weeks.

My experience:

-I've written eight YA books (six published, two more to be published with HarperTeen/HarperCollins this summer and 2018)
-Five years experience working with professional editors and copyeditors.
-I've been beta reading/critiquing for several years. My speciality is proofreading and copyediting. I love correcting typos, grammar, and helping to make sentences shine.

My contact info:

PM me with a short synopsis, word count, what kind of critique you're looking for, and your preferred time frame.

Last edited:

abisloth

Registered
Reaction score
Availability- Wow, I wasn't expecting so many responses so for now I am unavailable

Preference- Fantasy or YA. I'm also open to horror and crime depending on the storyline.

Experience- I have Beta'd a few times before. I've done both long-term and short-term projects.

Style- My strengths are helping with the plot and character development. Relatively good with grammar but it's not my strongest area.

Timeline- Depends on the length of the story. Depending on whether I have a uni deadline could be anywhere from a week to a month.

Contact- PM me =)

Last edited:

abbyapplejack

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: CLOSED

Preferences: YA or NA SF/Dystopian/Speculative though I'm open to fantasy but warn you it's not my specialty. Polished as far as grammar and spelling goes and been through a couple of edits. 1st person would be nice but now I'm just being picky. :tongue

Not Interested in:
Romance, Erotica, Non-Fiction, Contemporary

Style: Very good at testing a story for plot holes and other content inconsistencies. Also good at world building and dialogue issues. Beyond that, the normal things such as what I liked and didn't like, etc. Not very good at proofreads and copyedits, more of a content/developmental editor.

Experience: Took a few creative fiction workshops complete with CPs and some light editing. Otherwise, no experience Beta Reading.

Contact: PM me with word count, a story blurb and/or short synopsis, and preferred turn around time if you've got one!

My Story:
NA Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic Fiction novel in its third draft. Currently 100k - 105k words.

Last edited:

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
Availability: Open.

Preferences: Literature.

What I write: What aspires to be literature, somewhat experimental.

Style: Just how I react to the story as it goes. Comment on plot and characters. I can line edit the first 50 pages or so. The two beta reads I've done so far have had largely positive comments from me, and I thought both were publishable.

Experience: Two books, some short stories, many articles published. Editor of The Brasilia Review.

Timeline: It's taken me a week so far. If I get inundated from this post as some have, longer.

Contact: ​editor at brasiliareview dot org. Just go ahead and send a doc file.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open for swap.
Preferences: YA any genre (but I do prefer reading things that have some sort of romance as a subplot)
What I write: YA fantasy, but I read in all YA genres.
Beta Style: I tend to comment sporadically throughout the manuscript with any grammatical changes/random thoughts as I read. Then at the end I wrap everything up with long comments about large areas of the manuscript: characters, setting, pacing, etc. I'm able to give pretty much any type of feedback you'd like, though.
Experience: I'm agented. I've read pretty much anything I could get my hands on since an early age. In addition, I'm a language arts teacher, so I spend a lot of time talking with students about what they like/dislike about books. I'd like to think I could give some insight about what young adults would think about your book (my students would probably laugh at that, though :)) In addition, I was an English major with a concentration on language, writing, and rhetoric, and I worked as a copyeditor for a local author during college.
Timeline: I aim for around a week to ten days, but my last beta was around three days. Depends on how much I get into the book, I guess!
Contact: Message me on here-- I check daily. Please include a small blurb of your manuscript with word count. From there, I'll probably ask for the first 3 chapters or so to make sure I'm the right person for you.

Last edited:

c.k.archer

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available for beta reading and/or swaps! My completed MS is a 73k gritty YA contemporary.

What I Read/Don’t Read: Whether it’s YA or adult fiction, I’m particularly interested in contemporary, thrillers (especially psychological), sci-fi, magical realism, and historical fiction. I’m up for pretty much anything though. The only genres I will not read are erotica, general romance, and paranormal romance. I don’t read a lot of MG or fantasy, but would still be willing to give them a look if the synopsis interests me.

Style: I focus mainly on the characters, story, pacing, voice, and overall consistency. I like to make comments as I go and then do a short write up at the end of each chapter to sum up my overall thoughts. I am, however, willing to change style and/or focus depending on what you want from me. I’m not a harsh critic, but I will be thorough. I like to offer both encouragement for what’s working and constructive criticism for what’s not.

Experience: I’ve beta-read for a few friends before, taken creative writing courses, and am an avid reader and writer. I’m also currently working on an English minor in college if that sweetens the deal at all.

Time: Depends on the length of the work and how busy I am, but anywhere from 2-4 weeks. If anything changes, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Contact: Please PM me a synopsis and word count, and if I like it, we can take it from there. If you’re interested in doing a swap, let me know so I can send you my synopsis.

Arjani

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open for swaps and swaps only. I want to swap 1 chapter a week if possible, with a by-week for editing after every 3.

Preferences: Everything is possible except Mystery, Paranormal, or YA/NA of any type, Nonfiction though I will consider nonfic dealing in light topics(AutoBio for ex.).

Critique Style: I like to pick a few problems and fully delve into them because I find that people are overwhelmed otherwise. I will focus on characters, plot, cohesiveness, and settings.

Experience: Writer for six years with thousands of hours of critique experience.

Contact: Message me on here-- I check daily. Please include a small blurb of your manuscript with word count. From there, I'll probably ask for the first 3 chapters or so to make sure I'm the right person for you.

Last edited:

yngscrpyhngry

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm available to beta read, and am especially interested in swapping! (I have a 70K YA contemporary manuscript)

Preferences: I have the most experience with YA, but am open to anything!

Critique Style: I like to make in-line notes for grammar and style, and then a more overall commentary for each chapter and the book as a whole for characterization/plot/etc notes. I'm also open to focusing on any particular aspects that you want to work on the most!

Experience: I'm an almost-graduated honors English major with a few creative writing classes under my belt as well, and I've beta-read a novel before.

Contact: Send me a PM with a short synopsis of your novel, word count, and whether you're interested in swapping or just a beta-read. I check daily so I'll get back to you soon! :)

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available for swap, and still looking as of Feb 15th! :D

Preference:
Sci-fi and Fantasy. YA is fine, but no romance please. Heavy preference towards work that has been beta-read already, or long-time AW users.

My stuff: My current MS is an urban fantasy novel, 89k words long.

Style: I write stream-of-consciousness, "this is what I'm thinking right now as I read". I'll comment on grammar, spelling, plot and character. Able to focus on certain things, if you have concerns about specific areas.

Experience: I've done several partial beta's, and a half-dozen full ones.

Last edited:

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Availability: Currently closed.

Preference: In order, gay fiction, fantasy (not so much sci fi), mystery, commercial, romance (will read erotica, but I'm probably not the best test audience for that).

My stuff: I have a contemporary gay rom-com, leaning a bit toward absurd. It's a modern re-telling of a Greek myth, about 76K.

Style: Balanced. I try to point out at least as much of what's working as what's not working for me personally. I'm pretty strong on grammar and punctuation.

Experience: I've been in critique groups for about 3 years, had 2 active critique partners (sadly gone by the wayside), and done about 10 beta reads with AW members.

Last edited:

sreeves2

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm available to beta read, and am especially interested in swapping! (I have a 70K YA contemporary manuscript)

Preferences: I have the most experience with YA, but am open to anything!

Critique Style: I like to make in-line notes for grammar and style, and then a more overall commentary for each chapter and the book as a whole for characterization/plot/etc notes. I'm also open to focusing on any particular aspects that you want to work on the most!

Experience: I'm an almost-graduated honors English major with a few creative writing classes under my belt as well, and I've beta-read a novel before.

Contact: Send me a PM with a short synopsis of your novel, word count, and whether you're interested in swapping or just a beta-read. I check daily so I'll get back to you soon! :)

Hiya!

My name is Sarah, and since your profile doesn't have the option of me PMing you, I'll just reply on your thread!

I am very much interested in finding a person to swap stories with!

I've had several successful writing swaps in the past - they are seriously so helpful in retrospect and, in my opinion, a vital way of editing your work.

Right now I have a fantasy that is kind of a mix with contemporary (not sure what that would be called), and a bit of romance featuring a strong female protagonist. The main issues I am facing are characterization (whether I'm bringing the characters to life, at all), plot structure and development, and detailing. Above all, I'm concerned whether it's an interesting read or not. I'm not really looking for someone to look for grammatical issues because first I like to take care of the content (unless it's so bad bad that the reader can't understand what's happening, but I honestly don't think that's the case).

Anyhow, I'd be very much interested in swapping chapters with you or something. Whenever you get the chance, just let me know if you're interested!

Thanks and have a great day,
Sarah

quietglow

chocolate. stat.
Registered
Reaction score
(updating my post from a few years ago)

Availability: Not available

Preference: Lit fic, Mainstream, Magical Realism, Urban, Creative Non-Fic

Maybe: Sci-Fi and fantasy, Romance (if clever), YA (if something other than coming-of-age), Poetry. Lots of other stuff as well. I read broadly.

Not Interested: Vampires, zombies, sport, first drafts.

Experience: I've worked as an editor, taught Freshman Composition, and have some applicable liberal arts degrees.

My Style: I tend to be terse with comments, and I don't have tons of tolerance for early drafts. I don't do line level commentary, preferring thoughts at the end of a chapter. I'm very good at knowing when something isn't structurally right with a story, but I don't generally offer advice for fixing. I read encyclopedias as a kid: if you say venus is rising in your evening scene, I will tell you to fix it. I can't copy-edit to save my life.

Turnaround Time: Predictable. You tell me what you want read and how long, and I'll tell you when I'll be done. Turnaround for a chapter, usually a day.

Contact: PM and include a bit about what you've got and what you're looking for.

Also, I'll keep with the general board guideline: if you have less than 50 posts, maybe spend some time around the boards before asking for a beta.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I like the way you operate, quietglow. Too bad you have no tolerance for early drafts, because that's all I have right now that needs looking at. Until next time...

ESGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: CLOSED as of 4/1/17
Preferences: YA (pretty much anything except fantasy, romance, or contemporary)
What I write: YA sci-fi/speculative/dystopian - might be interested in a swap
Beta Style: Depends on the book, honestly. If you've got tons of grammar issues, sentence construction issues, etc, I'm not going to be patient or spend time rewriting. I'm an editor at a creative agency so I do that sort of thing for $$$, not for funsies. Not looking to take rough drafts on. I'd like something that has been edited a few times already so I can look at/respond to bigger picture stuff.
Experience: I'm unpublished, but querying (and terrified, and excited). I've written 8 books, but the one I'm currently querying was the first one that wasn't terrible. I have a Bachelor's degree in honors English with a focus in creative writing, worked for a few years as a copywriter in advertising before switching over to editing.
Timeline: Varies based on life stuff/how into the book I am. See next section.
Contact: Send me a PM with a short synopsis, first chapter, and word count. If it seems like something I want to keep on with at that point, I can give a better estimate on timing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.