• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Chambers

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Swap only! Sorry, but I need a beta for my novel, so I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine.

What I Read: Fantasy/SF/thrillers.

What I Don't Read: Romance/
Non-fiction / poetry of any kind.

Style: first or third past tense

Length:
Full length novel only.

Timeline:
1 month. I'm looking for swaps, so we can agree on a deadline when we swap. If you're faster than I am, I'll match your timeline.

Experience:

PM me and we'll go from there! Look forward to a mutually beneficial partnership

LillithEve

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm available, but it might take me 2 weeks to a month to turn around your manuscript because I freelance and have my own projects and those come first. I'll update you if I'm running behind schedule.

What I read: Literary fiction, women's fiction, some literary and contemporary YA (I'm previously published in YA and it's kind of my first love, so I can offer you helpful notes, but be warned that I'm pretty picky about what I read there), poetry, limited fantasy.

What I don't read: Sci-fi, romance.

Style: open to all kinds of style.

Length: I prefer to crit things in chunks, but I can do chapter-by-chapter and full length novels as well.

Experience: I managed to get an agent and publish a YA novel a while back + I have a degree in creative writing + I have a fair bit of professional editorial experience (mainly copy and proofs as opposed to substantive, though).

Contact me via PM with a pitch and your first five pages so I can see whether your voice gels with me. I'm super open to swaps/wouldn't mind finding a critique partner or two, so let me know if you're open to that in your PM as well. I mostly write lit fic.

mkaylam

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to beta read! I read mostly suspense, paranormal and romance but can and will read anything. I'm an avid reader and can finish a book within a few days with edits. I typically give an overall opinion of the story and edit line by line. I just happen to be finishing up my first YA series, so I would also be interested in swaps!

Last edited:

rentserenity

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Closed at this time.

Favorites: I’m not a genre person, I’m a character person. To give you a glimpse of the type of stories I’m interested in, I’ll list a few from each genre that I like--

• YA (no particular genres) The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. The Coldest Girl in Cold Town by Holly Black. Finishing School series by Gail Carriger. The Sally Lockhart series by Philip Pullman. Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor. The School for Good and Evil series by Soman Chainani. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.
  • Science Fiction: Cyteen by C.J. Cherryh. The Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. The Ghost Brigades (Book 2 of Old Man’s War) by John Scalzi. Anything by Margaret Atwood.
  • Fantasy: The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker.
  • Mystery: Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith. Touch by Claire North.
  • Horror: NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. The Watchers by Dean Koontz.
  • Contemporary: I’m a huge fan of Chuck Palahniuk in general.
  • MG: How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell and The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Preferences: I prefer character driven stories and manuscripts that are passed the first draft.

Not interested: Nonfiction or verse.

Length: Science Fiction or Fantasy can be up to 120,000 words. Everything else, including YA sci-fi and fantasy, below 100,000.

Style: I’m pretty thorough--I do inline comments as I read, touching on anything that I feel needs commenting on. If your story hasn’t been line-edited yet I’ll try to stay away from grammar things, but if I get confused, I tend to puzzle it out so you can see what I’m thinking in the comments. After my line-edits, I do a write-up with my overall thoughts. If you want, I can probably do a write-up at the end of every chapter or every few chapters. I’m not good at complimenting things unless I’m actually interested in them. My goal whenever I read is to sort out character motivations and the stakes of the story.

Commitment: Before committing to your entire manuscript I need to read the first 50pgs of your story (rounded to the end of the nearest chapter). If the story's really not for me, I probably won't do many inline comments but I will do a full write-up at the end with my thoughts. If I decide to commit to your whole story, I’m also willing to discuss the query/synopsis if you'd like.

Timeframe: For the first 50 pages I will probably take 2-3 days to get back to you about whether I’m interested. After that, it depends on how much work the manuscript needs. If the story needs a lot of work it will probably take about 2-3 weeks for a 250pg story, plus a day or two for a full write-up. For a more polished story, it will range down to more like 1-2 weeks. If you want me to keep you posted about where I am, I can do so. If I’m ever falling behind on your work, I will let you know.

Experience: I majored in creative writing and minored in linguistics. My writing classes were largely critique classes. I routinely beta for friends and I’ve got 10+ years of writing experience behind me.

Contact info: If you're interested, send me a PM with your blurb and genre info.

Last edited:

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open. Swap only. First 50 pages of a complete work, rounded up by chapter, if applicable. Looking for feedback on a 102k word complete, stand-alone, speculative fantasy.

What I Read: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Mystery/PI/Thriller, Literary. But only if the characters hold my interest. Characters > plot > genre.

All-Time Favorites: The Talisman, Dune (Book 1 by itself), Denis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie & Angela Gennaro series, A Song of Ice & Fire, The Neverending Story, Witches Abroad. Harry Dresden (thru bk 12) and Anita Blake (thru bk 9).

What I Don't Read:
Romance, female protagonists with the emotional fortitude of 13 year olds, Mary/Gary Sue protagonists, poetry of any kind (For example, I've read the Hobbit 3 times, but I've read the poetry in it 0 times).

What I write: Female protagonists I both like and want to read. Fantasy, sci-fi, literary. I started with 3 books of urban fantasy, but I consider those training exercises now, to be tucked away in a box like old high school trophies. The fantasy I write now is epic and or speculative.

Length:
50 pages rounded up by chapter, if applicable. We'll decide from there if we are interested in continuing with one another.

Timeline:
2 weeks for the first 50.

Formats available: Word, Scrivener (recently acquired, still learning)

Experience:
2 degrees, both science, did peer review then, but never in creative writing. I have no formal experience as a beta. I'm not published either, but I don't think 7 scripted rejections of a 310k word complete counts as trying. Time to start trying, hence the beta call and the newer 102k word fantasy.

PM on this site.

Last edited:

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Closed. Will repost in a few weeks

What I Read: YA Fantasy, YA contemp, MG, Sci-Fi, Thriller/Mystery, Literary

All-Time Favorite Novels: Perfume, Scorpio Races, The House of the Spirits, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I Capture the Castle, Geek Love, His Majesty's Dragon, Uglies, Stardust, Holes

What I Don't Read:
novels in verse. Sorry, I just don't appreciate them the way they ought to be appreciated, so it's not you, it's me.

What I write: First person YA fantasy (usually historical, never epic), magical realism, southern gothic

Timeline:
3 weeks. I comment as I go so I don't miss anything.

Experience:
unpublished writer for over ten years, repped by Rosemary Stimola. MA in Art History. Beta-reading references available upon request.

PM me with query-pertinent info (title, genre, wordcount, blurb), and we'll exchange emails. I will decide based on a sample of your first chapter. Sorry, but if your story doesn't engage me from the first chapter, I'm the wrong person for you. Feel free to let me know in PM if your opening is one of the reasons you're looking for a beta, I can understand that.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to have your short stories / novels / flash fiction to read during March, when I have to let my novel rest before editing. I am looking to beta, not alpha - SPAG issues are too distracting for me to get into a story. Typos here and there are fine (we all miss some) but if it's unedited, I'm not the reader for you.

What I Read:
Wide-ranging - from horror to historical to erotica and everything in between. I have no problem with gore, sex, violence, profanity, etc. My favourite of the lot is horror, but I'm really not picky.

What I Don't Read:

• Poetry or verse.
  • Tolkein-esque fantasy. If your story has dragons, magical creatures, or lots of sword fights, I'm not the reader for you.
  • MG or "young" YA. If your main character's under 17 I'm probably not going to like it.
  • Sci-fi set in space. I like alien invasion or humans-invading-other-planets but spaceships bore me to death.
  • Anything with vampires, werewolves or zombies that takes itself seriously. Funny is fine.

What I write: Romance novels. In short stories I write anything - my most recent were humorous sci-fi and crime.

Timeline: 1 - 31 March. I'll then be back to working on my WIP.

Experience: I'm a professional non-fiction writer and editor. Have a look at my critiques in SYW if you want to see how I approach them - honest but never rude.

Looking forward to some reading!

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not available right now

What I Read:
Mostly romance, erotic romance, and erotica in all genres (M/M, M/F, menage, try me on F/F - I'm interested). I'll also read fantasy, especially high fantasy or dark fantasy, with or without romance sub-plots. I really like books with a strong male lead, don't ask why.

Bonus points for books with a strong male lead, and a strong male antagonist. *winks*

What I Don't Read:
Thrillers or horror, excessive gore, or any romance/erotica with triggery story-lines i.e. talk of hurting oneself.

Style:
First or Third Past, preferred, but I might read 1st or 3rd present tense if I like the story.

Length:
Short stories up to small novel length 50K. Any higher and it will take longer for me to get through.

Timeline:
I'm kind of slow at times due to real life. Expect 1-2 weeks on short stories. 2-3 weeks on novellas to 40k. 1 month + on longer novellas and novel length.

I beta read in the mornings when my kids are at school.

Experience:
5 years of writing, beta'ing, and critique group membership. I am not the greatest at grammar, but can provide feedback on most other things. I do not sugar coat, but I'm not rough, either. I edit ONLY with Word .doc format using "track changes". If I really like the scene I'm reading, I might add a nice comment.

PM me.

Last edited:

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Availability:Currently closed.

I Read: All kinds of fiction. I prefer adult fiction to YA and am a bad match for anything with a younger target audience. Thrillers, suspense novels, mysteries, fantasy, horror, all things in that vein are good; I'm probably not your ideal choice for character-driven literary pieces or romance.

I Don't Read: non-fiction, poetry

Style: I've critted several letters over in QLH, which probably give a fair sense of my commenting style. While I try to be thorough I'm a better resource for content than copy.

Expectations: If you're ready for a beta reader, I expect your work to be reasonably polished, free of most simple grammatical errors, errant punctuation, etc. I'll happily read anyone's first chapter and give feedback, after which point we should both be able to tell if my continued reading of a project is going to be mutually beneficial.

Timeline: A few days per chapter.

Last edited:

Leema

Registered
Reaction score
Available now! (As of 19th Feb 2017.) Hit me!

Preference:
  • YA!
  • MG!
  • Lesser extent: Historical, sci-fi, women's fiction, crime/thriller, short stories.
  • There's nothing I won't read, TBH. If it sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

Not interested:

• Unfinished stories. I want to read a whole novel (start/middle/end), not bits of a novel.
  • Fantasy. I struggle. But can be convinced with a compelling blurb or with a story that only has fantasy elements. Seriously please think twice before sending me a fantasy novel - you'll probably get some pretty harsh feedback because I just find so many elements of that genre intolerable.
  • Large pieces of 100k+. But can be convinced with a compelling blurb.
  • Non fiction (unless it's dog related).

Experience:
  • Read far and wide, beta read often. E.g. my Goodreads profile
  • A lot of dog knowledge. If you want a canine fact-checker for your novel, I'm the crazy dog lady.
  • A decent amount of medical/anatomical knowledge.

My style: I like 'big picture' things like setting, themes, plot, characters, etc. I will not do line-by-lines or help you with your spelling or grammar. If there are consistent problems, I'll point them out. (e.g. "You often use run on sentences" or "Be careful with their/there/they're".)

Turnaround: If I like your novel, I'll probably read it in a few hours or a few days from when I start reading. It rarely takes me more than a week or two to get feedback back to the person. I often have a queue of novels at any one time, and so you might have to wait for your turn.

What I write:​ YA and MG so far, but plans for much more.

Swap?: I have a couple of YA contemporary fiction novels about young people in a fictional country Australian town. Reciprocal swaps are nice, but not compulsory.

Email preferred: [email protected]

Last edited:

LKSebastian

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open, and looking to do a swap.

I Read:
Pretty much everything. I write YA High Fantasy, so I specialize in either (or both!) of those, but I also love Sci-fi, contemporary, literary, and historical. I also love magical realism, as long as it's really magical realism and not confused fantasy. But really, any iteration of fantasy.

For perspective, some of my favorite authors include Libba Bray, Helen Phillips, Neil Gaiman, Nova Ren Suma, Alice Hoffman, Karen Russell.

I Don't Read:
I'm not particularly into romance, and while I like poetry and non-fiction, I don't feel comfortable critiquing them. I really like sci-fi as long as it's not TOO hard.

Style:
I tend more toward big-picture edits and I'm particularly picky about characters. I like to do in-line edits as well for more nit-picky things as I read, but those usually aren't too in depth.

Experience:
I've worked as a reader for agencies so I have some experience on the other side of the slush and have written my share of reader's reports.

Timeline:
It depends on the length of the MS. I'd rather not read anything over 100K, but if it's close to that, maybe. Probably two weeks to a month, in general.

PM me!

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not currently available

I Read: Stuff in the broad genres of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

I Don't Read: Contemporary (very little or no fantastical elements), Romance-focused, Middle-grade.

Style: I usually write stream-of-consciousness notes. I think it's valuable for a writer to know what a reader is thinking as they read. That said, I can change my style of critique if you're looking for something else.

Experience: Several partial betas, a few full. Lots of recreational reading/writing.

Timeline: To start out, I like to trade a couple chapters or so, just so we can see if we can get into each others' work. After that, I can usually finish a book in a month; perhaps more if personal life things or illness happen.

My MS: It's a 85k word Urban fantasy.

Last edited:

GreatHall

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

I Read: I was never a big reader. However, I've always been a big writer. I'd love to read something with detailed characters, locales, and events. Because I was never much of a reader, I don't really have any preferences. But, I can say that I've mostly enjoyed non-fiction and Ancient History.

I Don't Read: Just throw something at me. I'm not picky. But, I reserve the right to say no.

Style: I've kept a journal for six years or so. Most of my writings are personal opinions, analysis of something I've read, or the analysis of dreams. Fiction is something new to me.

Experience: I mean, I minored in English and have given a fair bit of spoken word. I haven't really done this beta stuff before.

Timeline: I've got a lot of free time right now. I'm out of college and looking for work. If it's interesting, I can get through something pretty quick if I put my mind to it. However, I'm generally a very slow reader and tend to soak up most of what I look at. I couldn't give you an honest timeline if I tried.

My MS: I've been working on a script for a video game. The first level is roughly 75% complete at 45k words. Writing a script for a video game is a unique experience. It's similar to writing for a movie. But, you have to keep in mind pacing for action and gameplay.

technoglobe

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open!

I read: Middle grade, Young Adult, Fantasy (especially Tolkein-esquse), Magical Realism

I do not read: Sci-Fi, Non-Fiction, Romance

Style: I like doing big-picture stuff. I'll also look for grammar, but if you haven't done a line-by-line yet I won't focus on the grammar. I usually will insert comments.

Experience: I read far and wide. I'm currently a middle school english teacher. I also have experience teaching creative writing.

Timeline:
A full ms, may take 3 weeks to a month (I'm working right now and like to be thorough). I'm also willing to go chapter by chapter (swap or not) and that could go a little faster.

My MS: I'm currently editing a ~50K ish middle grade fantasy that I would love to swap.

Last edited:

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I'm currently a bit backlogged, but I'll comment when I'm free again.

I read: Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, anything with speculative elements

I do not read: Poetry, non-fiction, erotica, children's lit (though I have done YA and MG)

Style: I prefer to focus on plot and characters, although I will comment on writing style/mechanics if they present a problem. I don't do grammar editing because I don't believe that it's productive to move commas around when the whole chapter might be rewritten, but if something is consistently incorrect I'll point it out. I've recently posted a beta reading checklist to my blog that might give you a better idea of what I look for (here).

Experience: I'm an undergraduate English Major (about to move on to graduate school), editor-in-chief of a student literary magazine, and I run a small critique group which I've been part of for four years. I have also participated in several creative writing classes that have involved providing detailed critiques to classmates. I've beta read novel length works.

send your first three chapters to [email protected]. If you want in-line edits, word document. Otherwise PDF.

Last edited:

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not currently available

What I Love to Read: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller, Crime, Horror, and Urban Fantasy.

All-Time Favorites: The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle, The Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman, Vatta's War - Elizabeth Moon, The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay, The Martian - Andy Weir, Reacher (all of them) - Lee Child, Anne McCaffrey

What I'll read if it's a good fit (aka what I'm picky about): Romance, Erotica, Literary, Historical, Mystery, MG, or YA.

What I Don't Read: Slow paced literary or historical fiction. Christian fiction. Memoir. Horror that is mostly gore or gross out horror (aka human centipede). Unfinished stories - I will alpha read (aka it doesn't have to be polished completely) but it must have an ending.

Style: I focus on character development, world building, big picture plot, and inconsistencies. I'll check grammar but it's not my forte. I use track changes and make notes at chapter or scene breaks citing what worked and what might need work.

Length: Short story through 200k words. If it's longer than that then I'm not the Beta for you. I would prefer to see the first 50 pages to ensure a good match.

Timeline: First 50 pages or first three chapters in 5-10 days. 1-2 months for a novel depending on how busy I am. I will also go chapter by chapter.

Formats available: Word (.doc or .docx) or RTF preferred but I have Scrivener as well. I can work with PDF but it will only be notes and I won't be able to line by line or insert comments.

Experience: I read almost everything. Beta read four novels. Written three.

Last edited:

sierrawrites13

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

What I Love to Read:
YA (contemporary, historical, social issues [esp. mental illness, LGBT]). I go for both dark and more lighthearted novels.

What I'll Consider Reading: Adult historical (preferred to center around kings, queens, and court life), some adult (no specific subgenre), legal thriller

What I Pretty Much Won't Read: Fantasy (all subgenres), sci-fi, dystopian, horror, non-fiction, memoir, adult suspense/mystery, poetry, erotica, romance

Style: I'm still learning my style, but I essentially point out what I see wrong. I know that's vague, and I'm sorry, but once I have a few beta reads under my belt I'll update this section. I also tend to check on grammar, style, and spelling as I go along. So, if you just want somebody to check that, I'm your girl. If you have specific feedback you're looking for, let me know. I use track comments for grammar revisions and comments/speech bubbles for all other comments. We can also swap if you're interested, although it's not expected. I'm experimenting with giving wide ranging edit letters, but I wouldn't expect that. ;)

Length: As long as I'm engaged, I don't care. I'll request the first chapter before I agree to beta for you to make sure we're a good fit.

Timeline: I can do a full beta read for a <70k novel in about a month. If I have a conflict in advance due to finals or something else, I'll let you know how it affects my schedule.

Formats available:
Word docs, PDF, Google Docs.

Experience: I've beta read one novel and have several ongoing critique partners. I've written two books: one historical fiction YA, and a YA contemporary. I've also written many short stories and some awful poetry. I work at my college's blog and won a national award for my novel. I've completed a lot of academic critiques through high school and college.

Last edited:

StoneAnimal

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I'm available now and would prefer to swap manuscripts. My manuscript is complete at 69,000 words.

Preferences: My manuscript is literary with a strong speculative element, and I prefer literary/speculative, though I'm open to most genres as long as you are an experienced writer and critiquer.

Style: I'm comfortable with both developmental and line editing. I prefer to use Track Changes in Word.

Experience: I have an MFA and have edited two literary magazines. I currently teach writing classes for elementary and middle school-aged students, and run a writing group for adults.

Some Favorite Writers: Kathryn Davis, Kelly Link, Aimee Bender, George Saunders

chloecomplains

Pinkamena Diane Pie
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open for swaps. I currently have a YA sci-fi, an action/sci-fi chick lit, and a BDSM erotica that need betas

What I Read:
Older YA and up. Preferably female protagonist with some romantic elements, but most genres are fine and it's impossible to scandalize me.

What I Don't Read:
Children's/Middle Readers. High fantasy, historical, coming of age. Not big on the everyday, slice of life sort of thing, but that doesn't mean you can't pitch it to me, see if I'll bite.

What I write:
Quirky romance. Everything else is up for grabs in my stories, but they'll be quirky, and there will be romance.

Style: I don't want to be your line editor. I get paid to do that. I want to focus on your plot, continuity, and character development, and occasionally point out things that need to be tightened. I expect basic editing to have already been done, and if I notice a frequent grammatical error, I'll probably have you edit and resubmit to me so I'm not distracted by it. I'm blunt but honest, my goal is to improve your story, not belittle you. I will rip your first chapter to shreds because every first chapter needs to be ripped to shreds.

Experience:
Degrees in English and Physics, but rusty on the physics now. I do some freelance editing, and I'm an ML for NaNoWriMo, which just means I'm really good at pep talks, awkward small talk, and writing exercises.

​PM

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Got a big to-read list now so I can't accept any more requests.

What I Read:
Wide-ranging - from horror to historical to erotica and everything in between. I have no problem with gore, sex, violence, profanity, etc. My favourite of the lot is horror, but I'm really not picky.

Works of any length are fine, from flash fiction to novels.

What I Don't Read:

• Poetry or verse.
  • Tolkein-esque fantasy. If your story has dragons, magical creatures, or lots of sword fights, I'm not the reader for you.
  • MG or "young" YA. If your main character's under 17 I'm probably not going to like it.
  • Sci-fi set in space. I like alien invasion or humans-invading-other-planets but spaceships bore me to death.
  • Anything with vampires, werewolves or zombies that takes itself seriously. Funny is fine.

What I write: Romance novels. In short stories I write anything - my most recent were humorous sci-fi and crime.

Timeline: Until mid-June, probably.

Experience: I'm a professional non-fiction writer and editor. Have a look at my critiques in SYW if you want to see how I approach them - honest but never rude.

Looking forward to some reading!

Last edited:

jgmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open for swaps. I currently have a gunpowder fantasy series I need betas for.

What I Read: Scifi, Fantasy, PA, Horror (but nothing too gory), Thriller/Mystery

What I Don't Read: YA or younger, Zombie apocalypse, Romance/Erotica

What I write: PA and Fantasy

Style: How can you get a 5 star review and lots of readers? What changes or improvements could you make to the story to make it easier for me to read and enjoy? So plot (holes), transitions/flow, do you need to remove things, is the character likable (if they are supposed to be), am I bored or entranced, etc. I will note typos and grammar if I see them, but I am not an English major. I use Track Changes and insert comments in Word.

Timeline: 1-2 weeks depending on length

Experience: I read constantly, probably a book a week, and I've been writing for 3 years now. I have beta read numerous books for writers on other forums. I have four PA novels and one novella I wrote and self pubbed in addition to the series I am working on currently.

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Accepting PMs

Preference: Young Adult only please! I only have a few exceptions within the YA genre that I'm not big on reading (see below), everything else is perfect to send my way: Paranormal, Romance (paired with other genres listed), Dystopian, Thriller, Horror, Sci-fi, Fantasy, etc.

What I Won't Read: Anything that's not YA, YA Contemporary, anything erotica, Western, or high fantasy. Also, anything that is incomplete.

Experience: I've been a critique partner for multiple people, I graduated college with a BA in Creative Writing, have two years of an MFA with a concentration in publishing under my belt, worked as a Assistant Fiction Editor on a literary journal, been through various workshops, and used to review on Inkpop before they killed the site. I've also have previous beta experience, with favorable responses to my feedback.

How I Work: If you want to send it all at once then I'm going to take some time on it (don't expect it returned in 24 hours or even two weeks). I'm very thorough and will leave as many comments as I see fit and try and highlight issues that are repeated (hence why it takes so long). I break it down into not only inline comments that highlight why something isn't working, but I do chapter by chapter overall feedback with a final overview when I've finished the entire thing. Also, if you only want me to look for certain areas, I can do that too. I'm not a grammar nazi, so I'm stronger if you are looking for things such as characterization, pacing, continuity, plot, etc.

I'd prefer if we just started with the first chapter to just read. Then, the first three, then, if I think we are a good fit, I'll ask you to send the entire manuscript.

Critique: I'm honest and blunt. If I have an issue with your character or plot, I'm going to say something. But, I will always give you ways in which I think you can fix the issue or suggestions. My motto is, if you don't agree, then ignore me. After all, it's your story, not mine. I'm never going to just point out all the flaws. I'll also look for whats working and point those areas out too. But, if you are easily offended, then I suggest you look somewhere else.

Swap: I'm always willing to swap if you'd like to develop a mutual relationship and partnership throughout the writing process. I'd just ask you look at some of my chapters, not the whole thing.

Contact: PM me your query or summary, word count, what you are looking to get out of this (plot, characterization, voice, pacing), type of comments (in-line, chapter by chapter, overall), time frame (ASAP, take your time, 3 weeks, etc), and anything special you'd like from me!

Last edited:

Arjani

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Accepting PMs

Preference: Science Fiction/ Fantasy/ YA/

What I Won't Read: Everything else.

Experience: I've been a critique partner for multiple people, I graduated college with a BA in Creative Writing, have two years of an MFA with a concentration in publishing under my belt, worked as a Assistant Fiction Editor on a literary journal, been through various workshops, and used to review on Inkpop before they killed the site. I've also have previous beta experience, with favorable responses to my feedback.

How I Work: My timeline for critique depends on whether you want inline or general.
less than 60,000- 1 week.
61,000 - 70,000- 2 weeks.
71,000 - 80,000- 3 weeks.
These apply to general. Add two weeks to each if you want in-line.
Critique: I am incredibly logical person. I like sound reasoning though I am okay with insane characters as long as you create good internal logic for their actions. My greatest strengths are pointing out plot holes, fat, and other mechanical things.

Swap: I'm always willing to swap if you'd like to develop a mutual relationship and partnership throughout the writing process. I'd just ask you look at some of my chapters and we can decide from there if this thing will be mutual.

Contact: PM me your query or summary, word count, what you are looking to get out of this (plot, characterization, voice, pacing), type of comments (in-line, chapter by chapter, overall), time frame (ASAP, take your time, 3 weeks, etc), and anything else!

saftpunk

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open! I'd like to swap sometime in the future, so I may reach out when my MS is complete (if you're willing).

Preferences: I’d love to read YA of any genre. I’m not too picky though; I’ll read almost anything under 100k.

What I write: Contemporary YA

Style: I’ll give my general impressions on character, plot, etc. at the end of scenes or chapters. I also get into details. I really enjoy giving line edits (if that’s what you want), but it’ll take a little longer for me to get through. You can check out my SYW comments if you want a feel for my style. As a fair warning, my comments can be a little blunt/snarky (but I promise I'll always be constructive), so let me know ahead of time if you'd prefer a gentler critique.

Experience: I have a degree in English literature, for which I wrote a thesis. I’m finishing my Masters in English as well. I’ve been in critique groups/writing circles for about three years now. I've beta read two full novels and several partials.

Timeline: ~2 weeks.

Contact: ​PM me with your query and your expectations, and we can move it to email. Please send me your first chapter. If it seems like we’ll work well together after I send comments, I’ll ask for the whole thing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.