• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoPetunias

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

Preference: Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, historical fiction, action/adventure.

Maybe: Crime (not so much if it's largely procedural but things of the Sherlock Holmes variety for sure), romance (again, it depends on the style. I don't mind romance in a plot so long as it's not the main focus).

Not Interested: Sport, poetry (I like it but I really have very little clue about it).

Experience: I have had a poem published but that's it, writing wise. Critiquing wise, I have worked with people on the likes of Figment dealing with grammar, spelling, character arcs, plot details and such.

My Style: I'm British so may highlight terms that are not familiar but will not alter spelling to suit me (I've had people do that to me before, can you believe...). I tend to go with the 'sandwich' method of critiquing; for every constructive comment I make (and I always try and be polite with any criticism or suggestions) I will cushion it between two things that I particularly like about the piece.

Turnaround Time: Not sure what would be usual but I can get through a chapter or two a day depending on word count, maybe more.

Contact: Feel free to PM me with a description of your piece (genre, general plot, no spoilers please!) and maybe a sample so I can get a feel for it and see if I will be able to offer constructive critiquing. If it looks promising, I will give you my e-mail and we can set something up :)

bean60

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Reader - will swap

Available

Preference - Women's Lit, Mainstream, Mystery, Some Romance (but not hard core erotica) historical fiction, YA, Middle Grades, Children's, etc. I like to read almost anything and get bored reading the same thing all the time. I have grandchildren and a good notion what they would like.

Not interested - Sport, (unless sport is not the major focus,) poetry, (never learned to love, appreciate, or understand most of it.) Like art, I know what I like in poetry, but can't explain it.

Experience - I grew up, and went to school, during a time when teachers were more interested in grammar, punctuation, and spelling than content. I've had to teach myself to look for content. I've been writing for pleasure all my life
; now I have a couple of manuscripts I'm working on. I may never get published, but am a member of a couple of critique groups and would like to have some beta readers look at them when I finish rewrites.

My style - I always read everything I critique, and would do you manuscript, also, at least twice. (I do read fast) The first read is to get the flavor of the piece, and on a novel, I would take notes. The second read would be the critique and write up. Usually, on shorter pieces, I read a third time; on novels, I would at least skim through a third time to be sure I mentioned all the points I wanted to make.

Turnaround time - I'm living alone for the first time in my life, so will have more time to devote to reading your manuscript. No promises, but will try to get it done as soon as possible, depending on your schedule, if possible. Determined by the length of your manuscript, definitely less than a month, probably much less than that.
I want to give your book all the attention it deserves.

Contact - PM me with your expectations, genre, synopsis, (no spoilers, please) maybe a sample, (five pages or so,). Send me your email address. I will contact you within a day or so. If feel I can do justice by your manuscript, we can make arrangements for you to get it to me, however you choose to send it. That could be by email, attachment, or paper.

I am especially interested in having my manuscript read by experienced Beta Readers, too.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I want to give this a try :)

Availability: UNAVAILABLE

Preference: My range of things I would be good at beta-ing is fairly narrow: YA, in particular fantasy, science fiction (all subgenres), and contemporary. I am very open to diverse characters! (and I love spotting unfortunate implications)

Not Interested: First drafts, drafts that are not done, and genre wise uh...pretty much everything that is not above. Due to past interactions, I would also strongly prefer that you have at least 50 posts here.

Experience: I have beta read for several people on here and no one's died yet ;)

My Style: I like to leave notes in-line regarding my reactions as I read/nit-picky questions, and I also do a write-up at the end and try to cover all the major big-picture points (pacing, characters, dialogue, etc). Turnaround time may be a couple weeks or it may be more due to my being a college student, but I will provide updates if asked!

Contact: Please PM me with a query (or something that vaguely resembles one) including genre and word count, and ideally a link to a sample of the writing. It would probably be in both of our best interests to do a test run of a couple chapters at first.

I am also available to swap--see my recent post history for more info--but my writing is not for everyone so I will not force it on you!

Last edited:

Riiyn

Registered
Reaction score
Willing to beta

Hi there! Not picky about genre except no romance please. Anything else is fair game, I'm an avid reader who can rack up a book up a day on weekends, and I'm happy to offer constructive criticism.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable

Preference: Nonfiction - current affairs, biography, history, general how-to, outdoors, environment, etc. (Ask if not included!)

Not interested: Fiction, autobio, religious.

On my nightstand now: Fiction, Michael Connelly, Ellis Peters, William Dietrich, Katherine Kurtz; nonfiction, David Philipps, Jules Witcover, Mark Pryor, Aaron Glantz.

Experience: Former newspaper copy editor and reporter. Writing own NF book with dreams of novels dancing in my head. Was a history major.

My Style: I'm a practical reader and editor. I'm not a grammar freak, but focus on whether it sounds right and natural. If I don't like something, I will say so, sometimes bluntly. If you're looking for tough criticism, that's me. I like to use Track Changes so you can see just what I'd suggest.

Turnaround Time: Approximately two weeks per book. Faster if I really like it and I can't put it down.

Contact: Please PM with summary, sample and what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Ravenlea70

Registered
Reaction score
Available to beta read

Preference: Fantasy, horror, historical fiction, romance, erotica, maybe sci-fi etc - anything fictional anyway (recently read Ash by James Herbert, a Dean Koontz fan, Dannika Dark, Nicole MacDonald, Barbara Erskine etc)

Not Interested: non-fiction - I like to "switch off" at the end of the day. not into crime, fiction or non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies etc...

Experience: none when it comes to beta reading, but would like to offer my services. Education good, worked as a PA in a solicitors firm for several years and after a career change, now work in a secondary school with Special Educational Needs children so English is important in my jobs.

My Style: Honesty, you want feedback, I would give it, but I'm not harsh. I love reading but can't stand a poorly written book (50 Shades of Grey was so badly written, I was surprised at the frenzy about it).

Turnaround Time: I read 2-3 books a week, an avid reader.

Contact: PM me any time, let me know the genre and brief synopsis and what you expect from me I'll reply asap.

That's about it, me in a nutshell and available for anything you can throw at me - as long as its fiction remember

katieb128

Registered
Reaction score
Available to Beta Read

Availability: Unavailable. I currently have a book I'm beta-ing for someone. I should be free closer to the end of April, but don't be afraid to contact if you're willing to wait.

Preference: Science fiction, fantasy, historical, young adult, mainstream, literary, adult.

Not Interested: Romance novel, non-fiction

Experience: I'm currently working towards my MLA, one class at a time, while I work, and I've taken a class with a strong focus on critiquing others works and having my own work critiqued. I've completed one novel, which I'm currently submitting to agents, and I'm in a writing group to work on my short stories.

My style: I'll let you know what works well and what doesn't, but I would never be cruel, I know how hard it is to have your work critiqued.

Turnaround time:
I think a solid critique of a novel would take me about a month, but probably no longer.

Contact: PM me with a few opening chapters, I'll give you some feedback and we can take it from there.

Last edited:

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize but not currently available due to own writing work. Will re-edit when I am free to read. I am prepared to beta read for others. I can help with grammar and spelling including American spelling. I write Sci fi/ fantasy with some erotic content and Regency romances. Will beta read all adult fantasy / sci fi and most adult genres except modern romance. Do not mind length but would prefer to receive only three chapters in first sending.

Last edited:

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com

Preference: Literary fiction, women's fiction, new adult, short stories, memoir.

Maybe: Mainstream fiction, historical fiction, contemporary YA.

Not Interested: Since I don't usually read romance, mystery, sci-fi or fantasy, I don't think I'd be much help with those genres.

Experience: I have a literature degree and I've beta read for a bunch of people, some of whom have gone on to publish their work.

My Style: I'm honest but polite. I'm best at helping with general manuscript issues like structure, characterization, plot holes, pacing, believability, etc. My grammar is fine, but I'm probably not the best person to do a line-by-line critique.

Turnaround Time: I'm pretty quick. A couple weeks? But let me know if you have any kind of deadline and need faster feedback.

Contact: PM me with a brief description and, if you want, a sample of the manuscript. Also what kind of a critique you want.

AlexHurst

Registered
Reaction score
Website
memoirsofhereafter.wordpress.com
English Teacher in Japan

Preference: Fiction (all), Nonfiction (memoir, history).

Maybe: Sports, Politics, textbook-style prose.

Not Interested: Fanfiction.

Experience: I am an English Teacher with a University of California, Berkeley education. My career as a beta reader has been short. I started by beta-reading articles translated into English from Japanese for a local magazine here in Kyoto, and have recently been doing beta reads for a fiction group on Facebook. People have been very happy with my work.

My Style: I will be honest with you, but never crass or flippant. If I think something doesn't work, I will tell you why, and in some cases, give you suggestions on how to improve the issue. I will also tell you when I like something (and it will be genuine.) I can also do line readings. I am an English teacher by profession, with a very good understanding of grammar, so will correct errors as I see them-- I use American English. If I begin to read your work and note heavy errors (beyond reason), I will stop and tell you to edit it once more on your own before passing it off to me-- this is purely to preserve my own time. Things like consistent comma errors, quoting mistakes, incorrect verb tense and awkward POV changes are all red flags.

Turnaround Time: Up to two weeks, though for shorter pieces I can probably beta within 3-4 days. Just bear in mind that I work six days a week.

Contact: PM me with your genre, sample length and detail request.

Last edited:

Balthynu

Registered
Reaction score

Preference: Fiction - pref scfi-fi/fantasy & thrillers/murder mystery.

Experience: I am an (as yet) unpublished writer. Native UK english speaker and educated in humanities to post graduate level. I have high expectations of books that I read so will be quite thorough with anything I go through.

My Style: Firstly I think anything that is submitted for beta reading should be edited by the author to the best of their ability. With this in mind I would expect to only be beta reading for structure and content etc (plus the occasional typo etc). As such I'm not a copy or line editor but will make a recommendation if I consider it necessary. I will be as supportive and positive as I can but will be honest with my advice.

Turnaround Time: Depends. PM me about length etc and I'll get back to you with a time estimate.

quietglow

chocolate. stat.
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable (Through 6/1/13. If you need a reader over the summer, feel free to ask. I'll let you know what my schedule allows.)

Preference: Lit fic, Mainstream, Magical Realism, Urban, Creative Non-Fic

Maybe: Sci-Fi and fantasy, Romance (if clever), YA (if something other than coming-of-age), Poetry. Lots of other stuff as well. I read broadly.

Not Interested: Vampires, zombies, sport, first drafts.

Experience: I've worked as an editor, taught Freshman Composition, and have some applicable liberal arts degrees.

My Style: I tend to be terse with comments, and I don't have tons of tolerance for early drafts. I don't do line level commentary, preferring thoughts at the end of a chapter. I'm very good at knowing when something isn't structurally right with a story, but I don't generally offer advice for fixing. I read encyclopedias as a kid: if you say venus is rising in your evening scene, I will tell you to fix it. I can't copy-edit to save my life.

Turnaround Time: Predictable. You tell me what you want read and how long, and I'll tell you when I'll be done. Turnaround for a chapter, usually a day.

Contact: PM and include a bit about what you've got and what you're looking for.

Also, I'll keep with the general board guideline: if you have less than 50 posts, maybe spend some time around the boards before asking for a beta.

Last edited:

chialea

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Reader Available

Preference: Crime fiction, historic novels, supernatural fiction and some biographies

Maybe: Autobiographies, fantasy, depends on the synposis.

Not Interested: Romance, sci-fi, erotica.

Experience: I enjoy reading and can get through several books a week.

My Style: Constructive criticism, not destructive!

Turnaround Time: approx 3 days.

Contact: PM me here with your requirements and a brief synopsis and we can take it from there.

judes

Registered
Reaction score
Beta-reader available for YA

Availability: Unavailable until June

Preference: YA/NA fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary. I love books with diversity and different settings.

Maybe: YA/NA thriller, horror.

Not Interested: Vampires, werewolves, stories where the MC experiences rape, poetry, gore, medieval fantasy. I'm probably not the best with short stories.

Experience: I read mostly YA. I have experience beta reading for others. Many of the people I read for appreciate that I am straight-forward with my comments. I'm not the hand-holding kind of reader if you are looking for that.

My Style: I am good at pointing out inconsistencies and I look for threads that are unresolved or go nowhere. I would say I am good at tightening up a story or seeing where problems are occurring with flow. I approach a story from a reader's perspective and I won't give you comments about how *I* would write it, only what I enjoyed/did not enjoy as a reader. I will also tell you honestly where I would lose interest or even put down the book. I make lots of highlights and comments with questions for you to consider. I don't do line by line edits though, and I easily lose patience when there are frequent spelling/grammar errors.

Turnaround Time: Depending on the request. I would say 2-4 weeks. I prefer to provide chapter by chapter comments and reflections, we have a bit of a dialogue at certain points to make sure that I'm approaching it the way you are looking for, and then continue. So the whole process may take a bit longer than that.

Contact: PM me with a brief synopsis and length and we can go from there. I would prefer to beta for someone who is very much into interaction so I can get a sense of what you want and we're not wasting each other's time.

Last edited:

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score

Preference: Most adult fiction (except what's noted below)

Maybe: YA (same restrictions below)

Not Interested: High fantasy, romance/erotica, books with lots of world building, non fiction, English as a second language writers (unless fluent), fan fiction, poetry

Experience: First time beta reader, critted in SYW a number of times. No formal instruction in terms of creative writing, did a stint as an English major after my BS. Unpublished writer, working on my second manuscript.

My Style: I believe that criticism is more helpful than praise, so my crits tend to lean that way. I'm looking to give an overview of the work as opposed to much line by line work.

Other Preferences: Nothing too long, about 80-85K max. Users should be somewhat involved in AW (no zero posts). Manuscript should be rewritten at least once already.

Turnaround Time: I'm a slow reader, so maybe a month for 80K? Again, first time doing this.

Contact: PM me here with your requirements and a brief synopsis.

I admit to wanting to beta read mainly for me to gain experience in this area, so I don't expect a reciprocated beta read of my manuscript. In other words, this is a freebie. :)

Last edited:

BetteDavis

Registered
Reaction score

Preference: YA. All genres.Although I am prejudiced against love triangles and insta-love I'll try my best to keep it objective.

Won't Beta:Romance (if that's all there is to it) Erotica

Experience: None-I do read a lot though

Cruelty: I'm blunt but if you irritate me with stupid spelling errors I will be very sharp.However I do not work for the grammar police.I want to come at this as a reader.

Contact: PM me with a synopsis and whether you like it hard or soft-I haven't done this before so I'm unsure whether I'll be up to doing line by line edits

Before I commit to Beta reading your novel: PM me with your first chapter I'll give you my impressions you can see if its what your after and I can see if I want to read on.

Turnaround time-Im pretty slow unfortunately and I want to do a good job so I don't want to commit to a timeframe.We'll work it out

I'm open to swaps also

chloecomplains

Pinkamena Diane Pie
Registered
Reaction score

Preference: Contemporary, Mainstream, Suspense, Horror, Humor

Maybe: Urban/Paranormal Fantasy (fair warning, I'm pretty much done with vampires), Sci Fi

Not Interested: YA, Romance, High Fantasy, Space Opera

Experience: I've done quite a bit of beta reading, plus I used to be an editor for a sports magazine and I have a degree in English. Neither of these things directly correlate to beta reading, but what they do mean is: a) it is impossible that your story is the grammatically worst thing I have ever read, and b) I'm used to reading lengthy, difficult texts on a tight deadline.

My Style: I want your story to be the best it can possibly be, and that means I have to be completely honest about it. I don't sandwich; if I have to throw in compliments to avoid bruising, you'll never know if I'm sincere or just being nice, and then what is the point of this? If you don't have a thick skin or if you're looking for an ego stroke, move along. If you're looking for an honest, thorough, expedient critique, stick around.

I'm also good if you have sensitive material. I don't expect you to bruise easily, and neither will I. Explicit language, violence, rape, drugs, general horror toward children and animals will not turn me away.

I am not taking first edits. Even if I accept your manuscript, I can't promise I'll finish the entire thing before additional edits are done. I will never accept something and then refuse to finish it, but if the errors are too distracting, I'll send it back before continuing.

Turnaround Time: I'm fast. Depending on the quality of your work, I typically process 30k-50k a week.

Contact: PM me with a synopsis and your expectations. If I'm interested, we'll continue from there.

If you're interested in swapping, please let me know.

KKing

Loving Beta
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kingswritingcorner.wordpress.com
I'm a Beta!

Availability: currently unavailable until mid June

Preference: Adult and YA Fantasy (all kinds), SF

Maybe: Romance, contemporary lit

Not Interested: Anything else! But feel free to ask, I don't mind inquiries. (I also don't mind saying no.)

Experience: I have beta-read a few novels, read all (most?) subgenres of fantasy, and English was my best subject in school. I read, write, and read about writing to constantly improve my craft. And my passion is editing!

My Style: I do not accept first drafts. I prefer at least the second draft or later, which means I will NOT edit for grammar or spelling. Typically I employ a three-step process during my beta. I do a read-through as a reader only, read through again leaving margin notes, and lastly compose an "overall thoughts" document regarding major (and some minor) elements like character, plot, dialogue, pacing, etc. I certainly don't leave hateful feedback, but I will not sandwich - that seems silly and juvenile. I leave honest and constructive comments and questions for the writer to consider.

Blood/guts/rape/torture/fluffy bunnies are all acceptable.

I will gladly answer questions if you have any regarding my feedback, but will not tolerate justifications or pouting. If either of these occur, all communication will end. In this beta reader, you will find an honest, objective third party who truly wants to help you roll out the best book possible!

Turnaround Time: I'd say 14-18 days for 100k.

Last edited:

Carolynde1515

Registered
Reaction score
Willing to Beta Read

Hello!
My name is Carolyn and I am professional editor. I have just moved to a very remote part of Minnesota and am looking for new manuscripts to beta read or edit.

I enjoy reading: mysteries, thrillers, science fiction, historical fiction, fiction, children's literature, and fantasy.

I am not interested in reading: memoir, biography, romance, paranormal, or horror fiction.

If interested in working together send me a private message or email me at [email protected]

lacolekinter

Writing, another form of breathing.
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Not available at this point, but will update accordingly.

Preference: Paranormal, romance, dystopian, erotica. YA or NA.

Maybe: Anything else, just send me a pm and let me know what you've got and together we will decide if we could make a good team.

Not interested: I don't do sci-fi. I have never read a sci-fi novel so I'm afraid I would be pretty bad at beta reading something of the sort.

Experience: I have never beta read before but have done a LOT of reading and notice many errors in other's work. I am currently working on my own novel as well. I have taken a medical transcriptionist class which gives me the ability to notice overuse and proper use of commas and other punctuation. I also was very good in English.

Style: I would prefer the writer proofread their own work at least once before sending it to me. I will require a synopsis of your story. I am pretty good with grammar, typos, and plot holes. I also can pinpoint if something is repeated several times throughout the novel. I also notice if the description of the characters don't match throughout the story. For example: she has tan skin here and porcelain skin later in the novel. Unless she's just been deprived of sun...yeah, I can catch it. I also will question things that don't make a lot of sense. I may have questions about your novel or suggest something for you to add or take away. I will probably highlight the errors I see and put my notes in but I will NOT change anything in your novel. I will let you do that for you. I am upfront and honest but will not give you anything BUT constructive criticism. I am coming at this as a writer and a reader so that means I'm not going to discourage you from following your dreams if I don't like your work. No way, no how.

Turnaround: I'd say it all depends but no later than 1 week. As of right now my schedule is pretty open other than trying to find my own beta readers and working on my own story. :)

Contact: You can contact me on here or email me at [email protected]. If you contact me on my email my response will be faster because I get email notifications on my phone.

Last edited:

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
Availability: Not Available
Please have at least 50 posts on Absolute Write before contacting me.

Preference: Adult speculative fiction (Fantasy, psychological/metaphysical horror, sci-fi, etc.)

Maybe: Young adult, new adult, and erotica. (Some others--just ask.)

Not Interested: Gory horror, MG, non-fiction.

Experience: I've completed critting eight full novels and have helped other authors on smaller projects, all from AW.

My Style: I give a lot of comments. My philosophy is that you want to know what I'm thinking to judge if you're reaching your reader. I try to give assistance, linking to writing resources. I look at overall structure/plotting and characterization and search for ways to tighten your prose, like cutting out extra words and removing narrative distance. I'm strong with grammar/syntax, so if you're moderately good with grammar, we'll be a good fit. If you have a lot of basic errors, I have trouble seeing the forest for the trees.

Turnaround Time: I prefer that you send me a lot all at once, and I can break off chunks as I go to send back to you. I get through about 50 pages during the week and 50 pages on the weekend.

Contact: PM me with a one chapter sample, a description, and an email address.

Reciprocate? Right now, I don't need a beta reader. I'm doing this because it helps me hone my own skills by seeing what works and doesn't work in other people's writing. If I think you'd be interested in my book when it's finished, I might ask you to beta it in a couple months, although you can always decline if the time isn't right.

Last edited:

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Availability:Not Available at the moment--possibly in April

Preference: The books I fall in love with are stories with well-developed, interesting characters, an elevated quality to the writing, and a plot of some kind. (I've read plenty of "nothing really happens" books but I prefer a story that has a bit more focus on plot.) I really enjoy love stories, or romance crossed with other genres. The qualities above are more important to me than a specific genre, but here's the list of what I'll read:

Mainstream, Contemporary, Literary, Women's Fiction, Chick Lit, Mystery (but not police procedural--I enjoy it, but not confident at critiquing), Romance, Suspense, Paranormal, Historical fiction (though I can't give feedback on accuracy), Christian, Low Fantasy, Sci-Fi of the gateway drug variety (the stuff with broad appeal).

Not Interested: High Fantasy, Poetry, Horror, Erotica (I'm fine with graphic sex scenes in the context of other genres), Memoir, anything really bleak or depressing, anything with graphic rape, torture, violence to kids, dying kids as a main part of the plot line, or violence to animals. And if it's creepier than the movie The Black Swan, I probably don't want to read it.

Experience: I've read for a few people here on AW. For the last 10 years I've made a living as a writer (magazine articles, web copy, blogging, TV & radio advertising). I also copy edit two quarterly small-time magazines. I have degrees in Journalism & English. In college I was a first reader for The Missouri Review.

My Style: I'm happy to give line-by-line feedback and/or bigger picture feedback. I'm not harsh, but I will point out what I don't think is working. I will also let you know what is working, because I think that's equally valuable. I would prefer to read for someone with at least 50 posts here, mainly because I'm naive and far too trusting, and other people seem to think this is a good idea.

Turnaround Time: I can turn around a manuscript that is already complete in about a month.

Contact: PM me with a blurb about your piece (like what you would send in a query letter). Also include your expectations for the kind of feedback you want to receive. If you would like, I can beta one chapter to start with to see if we would work well together.

I would be interested in manuscript swapping/an ongoing critique partnership if we find our style suits each other.

Last edited:

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: UNAVAILABLE for the nonce... since my inbox is full of requests. An embarrassment of riches.

Preference: Speculative fiction, including horror and paranormal, or literary fiction, YA or older age group. I don't mind controversial storylines or graphic descriptions. Shock me.

Not Interested: Poetry (too subjective for me), non-fiction, and I haven't read much romance, so probably wouldn't be too helpful with this.

Experience: I am a secondary English teacher, so I have a lot of experience reading and commenting on other people's work. Just finished a novel that is in beta reading right now.

My Style: I do not want to have to do line editing for mechanics. I get enough of that at work and I cannot bear to do it on my free time. My forte is with the big picture: plot consistency and continuity, and character development. Basically, if you have already carefully line edited it for mechanical issues and want a very critical reader to tell you if the story works as a cogent whole, I am happy to do that.

Turnaround Time: I am on summer vacation, so if I am just reading for overarching issues and plot throughlines, I can probably be done pretty quickly, depending on your word count. Generally I knock down a 300 page book in two days, three tops, so a week? I am also happy to have IM chats about specifics with you.

Contact: PM me with your query letter-type blurb and anything else you want me to know. If it seems like something I would pick up and read on my summer vacation, I will send you my email address and we can go from there.

ETA: If anyone wanted to do a manuscript swap, let me know. I'm up for that, and need the same kind of beta that I'm willing to provide.

Last edited:

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score

Genre Pref: I’m only an expert in YA, but I read Adult sometimes as well. Late twenties, early thirties is still a part of my comfort zone. I’ll read sci-fi, fantasy (not that fond of high fantasy), or horror. Any other genre, as long as it’s a subgenre, is fine.

Not interested in: Incomplete works, historical, lots of grammatical errors

Disclaimer: I just want a beginning, middle and end. I want to be able to read it aloud, and not constantly trip up. It’s much easier to critique and assess that way. If I can't concentrate on your actual story I will email you and tell you either I can't do it, or if you want me to continue, I will force myself and it will be a harsh critique.

Contact: PM me with what you want me to call you, the length of the MS, the genre and a query for the story. If the query hooks me, I'll probably read since it's summer break now. I'd also like any additional notes, like what you want me to focus on in particular. Keep in mind, I'd rather not do line edits/grammar and mechanics. If possible, I’d like a small excerpt as well (at LEAST 1,000 words). If you have any of your work in SYW, that is extremely helpful (sometimes, the writing style of the author isn't my cup of tea and 500 words isn't long enough to warn me.).

*Note* If I liked it, I will put a ring on it and continue to email you. Be warned.

Last edited:

nexttonormal

To See is to Devour -Victor Hugo
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available!

Preference: Literary Fiction, Young Adult, Sci-Fi

Maybe: MG,Fantasy, Historical, Dystopian or Post-apocalypse

Not Interested: Romance or New-Adult, Paranormal…anything that has not been read and edited at least once before. Also, I’m hesitant on sequels and trilogies.

Experience: I have already beta read for three writers.

My Style: So here’s how I work;
You send me a request with a synopsis of your story. If I am interested, I’ll let you know and we can exchange email address. If I’m not, I also let you know. It won’t be anything against your story, but I put a lot of effort into beta reading and I want to make sure I’m not wasting my time as much as I’m not wasting yours.

From there, I’ll ask for three chapters at a time. I like to work in chunks so that I’m not overwhelmed. Once I’m done with a chunk, I’ll send it back to you and you can send me the next few chapters.

I love to comment. I can be brutal when necessary, but complementary when it’s due. I add a bit of humor to my comments to make it a fun process for the both of us. Finally, I like to work line by line first and then at the big picture; much like a normal reader would.

Turnaround Time: Once we get going, I expect to have at least one chunk done each week, if not sooner. Like I said- you send me a few chapters, I edit them, I send them back, and we rinse, wash, and repeat until your novel is squeaky clean.

Contact: PM me with a pitch and how you want me to work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.