• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

latieplolo

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Closed for now
Preferences: Anything character- or concept-driven. I prefer literary writing, but can work with anything intended for adults (no YA). To me, plot is only a vehicle to get your ideas across, so I wouldn't be much help to you if the strength of your work is fast-paced action. I don't mind if English isn't your first language. My favorite authors are Orhan Pamuk, Jonathan Safran Foer, Miguel de Cervantes, and Naguib Mahfouz.
What I write: Literary speculative fiction
Beta Style: I'd like to talk about the ideas in a piece, rather than editing. I would much prefer to discuss character development or theme than edit for word choice.
Experience: A lifetime of amateur writing, formal education in a little creative writing and ancient world literature, two degrees in Language (German) and education.
Timeline: A few days to a week per chapter, depending on the level of detail requested in feedback. If you happen to have recordings of your piece, I can listen to audiobooks all day every day at work.

Last edited:

L.E.N. Andov

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available now.

Preferences: Science Fiction Fantasy, Alternative History, Religious Heresy, and Dark Humor. I enjoy magic but I shy away from starting something tremendous with a lot of rules and norms that I have to load into memory before I can evaluate something. I am comfortable reading anything sacrilegious, evil or scary. I do not enjoy reading about hurting someone for fun, torture, or blood and guts.

I write: Time Travel Fiction slash Alternative History. My stories provide resolution to many "unsolved" mysteries. I also give entertaining alternatives to explain the way some things have turned out the way (we think) they have. I am currently enthralled by the causes and results of Dejavu and The Mandella Effect.

Beta Style: I do not want to edit grammar, spelling, or punctuation. I am very good at finding errors or flaws, my favorite star trek hobby. I want to help you keep your characters and their actions consistent. I want to find a reason why something doesn't work and suggest fixes. I am the outsider looking in being very judgmental and opinionated. My goal is for your content to be top quality. I can work compartmentalized or grand scheme. I am honest and trustworthy. I will try my best to understand what you are attempting to accomplish.

Timeline: Depends on the task you assign me. I have several hours during the day to listen. Recorded submissions will have the quickest turnaround. Digital text submissions will be a little slower. Printed materials, obviously would take the longest. You should expect that I can complete your request within one week or less.

Contact: PM me. We can discuss your expectations and the scope of your request before I begin. If we work well together we can streamline our communications methods.

GardeningMomma

Enough about me.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all. I have been away from AW for quite awhile. I believe I have a four year old beta reader post around here somewhere, but can't find it. It's time for a new one!

Availability:
Unavailable. I will take ONE project on at a time. I will warn you that while I am a fast reader, I like to ruminate before offering feedback. I have a hectic urban homestead, which I love, but it means that turn around time for critiques may be around three months. Please DO NOT contact me if this is unacceptable to you. If I am rushed to complete the critique, I will simply tell you that I cannot continue.

Preferences: I mostly read nonfiction on gardening, homesteading, mycology, etc. That isn't what I enjoy reading most, though. I love all sorts of fiction. My favorites are fantasy, historical thrillers, romance, and steampunk. I enjoy soft SF sometimes. I am not interested in reading books with explicit violence, pedophilia, or rape. Some explicit sex is fine but I am not interested in erotica.

I would prefer to critique fantasy, but will consider others if the idea is something that would choose for myself in a book store. I am a firm believer in finding a beta reader who is in your target audience. The two times I accepted a manuscript which didn't suit my tastes were not good for the author or me.

If I find that you have not taken the time to do initial edits and rewrites, I will discontinue reading and ask you to do those before contacting me again.

What I write: I am currently contracted to write a nonfiction book. I have published several SFF short stories. I have written a dystopian (which was terrible) and two fantasy novels, one of which I am working to self-publish just for fun. I also write freelance as a content writer and have a column in the local newspaper. (Phew!)

Beta Style: Though I think I have a decent sense of grammar, it is not my strong point. I do not typically pick manuscripts apart line by line, though any grammatical and word choice issues I find I will do my best to call out. I am not the type to argue for or against an Oxford comma. Sorry.

I have learned to be brutal in a critique on writing style, character development, word choice, etc., however. I have improved substantially as a writer simply because others have been vicious in their critiques of my writing. My thoughts are that it is better to have the harsh words before the query process than after. Please do not take my harshness on commentary on you as an individual. I am a nice person, but I think the nicest thing to do is not to lie to someone when their book sucks. I wish more people had not lied to me early in my writing "career"! :)

Experience: I have beta read for several people I met online- AWs, Twitter friends, etc. I also have done some freelance editing.

Contact: PM me with your details and the query you have prepared. If I accept the manuscript, I will read the first two chapters and return that critique to you. If you are satisfied with my process and comments, you can send me the remainder of your book and I will return it when finished. I will NOT send a few chapters back and forth with critiques so you can start the editing process earlier. While that works for some people, I find that I work best I can have the entire thing in hand to cross reference and keep a feel for the novel as a whole.

Last edited:

airforceauthor

Board Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: (still looking as of Mar 16!) Looking to swap... I need a beta/CP for my espionage thrillernovel.

What I Read:
Thriller/Commercial/SF.

What I Don't Read:
Fantasy / Non-fiction / poetry.

Style:
I'll be encouraging but I will point out things that jar me out of keeping the pages flipping. Big picture, with the occasional sentence structure comment, especially if I feel dialog could be smoother or more direct.

Length:
Full length novel only.

Timeline:
I'm looking for swaps, so we can agree on a deadline when we swap. If you're faster than I am, I'll match your timeline.

Experience:
I've been beta reading and writing for several years now. I've published one novel, several anthologies, several short stories. Several AW betas over the years. Let me know if you've also published something - referral networks are always cool.

PM me with your query! Literally your "Dear Agent" letter. And we'll go from there!

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: NOT available!
Preferences:
Fantasy (not sci-fi) MG, YA, Adult
Dystopian / Utopian
Romance Adult and well written YA :)
Urban Fantasy
Dark Fantasy (Fantasy / Horror)
Paranormal
Not interested in: spaceships, computer science, horror (though fantasy with horror mixed in is great), and.... I can't think of anything else!

What I write: Fantasy (MG and YA) - might be interested in a swap
Beta Style: Big picture ideas. Enjoy looking for themes, setting, world-building, plot, characters, sagging middles. Have no problems sending plot ideas to you if the middle is lacking. LOVE reading for pleasure and can let you know my take (as a reader) on the topic / theme. I tend to go chapter by chapter but I don’t enjoy beta reading when ONE CHAPTER at a time is parceled out. I will stop and answer any questions you have or thoughts at the end of each chapter though and provide honest feedback - things that I love and things that do not resonate with me. I enjoy a manuscript that has been edited previously and with parts highlighted or marked that YOU believe may be problematic but I read from start to finish whether you have things for me to focus on or not.
Commitment: Before committing to your entire manuscript I need to read the first 3 chapters of your story. If I don’t feel like I am the right person to read you book I will send you a write up with my thoughts on the part of the story I read. If we both determine that I am the reader for your story, I will happily read and give my thoughts.
Experience: I'm unpublished and working on my own novels to submit for publication this year (MG and YA fantasy). I’m a teacher (but not high school English thankfully!) and I have a 10 year old so I understand the MG mind!
Timeline:Varies based on life stuff/how into the book I am. No more than 2 months (if I don’t have anything else going on, more like 2 weeks to read AND provide feedback).
Contact: Send me a PM with a short synopsis and word count. If it seems like something I want to keep on with at that point, I can give a better estimate on timing.

Last edited:

SamGlass

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Looking to Swap. I'll probably only take on a project at a time; I'm currently a law student, so any more than that would be too much.

What I Read: Fantasy, Scifi, and Thriller. Preferably something with sarcasm/snark. I'm not a good beta reader for persistently angsty protagonists. Must pass the Bechdel test.

What I Don't Read: Erotica, Nonfiction, and Poetry.

Style: I tend to combine big picture comments with line-by-line technical corrections. So, I'll give feedback on character developments, plot arcs, etc. as well as grammar and punctuation. I think that tends to be the most helpful.

Length: 80,000-100,000

Timeline: I can usually manage a chapter (2k to 3k words) per day, but I'd be happy with something a little slower. At least a couple chapters a week. I do prefer to start by exchanging a few chapters, and

Experience: I've been a beta reader dozens of times, and I've published several research papers. Obviously, you edit best what you know best, so I don't have much experience with romantic contemps or erotica; however, I'm definitely your girl for speculative fiction and thrillers.

Contact: Message me on here with your query or a short synopsis, and I'll be in touch! I look forward to digging in.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
MG writers!

I'm going on holiday for a couple of weeks and will have time to beta read a couple of MG novels (WC less than 70K). No need for swap.

I've beta-read two MG novels so far. Since I'm a noob, I can mostly give a reader's feedback, not a writer's. I can tell you which parts bore me and which parts I like. PM me WITHIN THE NEXT DAY with the first 3 chapters and we can go from there.

ETA: No more. Quota filled!

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Unavailable - have a full waiting list

What I read:
Horror
Romance (except paranormal or inspirational)
Erotica
Sci-fi
Thriller
Historical
Crime
Women's fiction

Adult only, any length from short stories to novels.

What I don't read:
Present tense.
Most fantasy - if it doesn't include magic and doesn't have a medieval feel, it's a maybe.
Space operas.
Military or political plots.
Vampires, zombies, or werewolves, unless humorous.

Style: I approach beta reading as if I've just bought your book in the hopes of enjoying it, and give my reader reactions. I leave comments as I go (MS Word or Google docs), mostly about characters and plot, though I also point out any typos I see. I'm not looking to nitpick but I am honest if there's anything I don't like. I also comment on what I DO like!

I'm happy to discuss my feedback afterwards and answer any questions.

Experience: I write and edit non-fiction for a day job (not with a publisher). For fiction, I'm agented (contemporary romance) but currently unpublished. Given and received countless beta reads, including several on AW.

Timescales: Depends how many requests I get. Anywhere from a week to a month.

Contact: PM me and let me know what your story's about - a query is fine if you have one ready but, if not, a sentence or two is fine. If it sounds like a story I can give useful feedback on, I'll give you my email and ask for a Word-compatible doc or a Google doc I can comment on.

Last edited:

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind beta-ing a few things right now.

Availability: Unavailable 4/13/17--looking at a few projects

Preferences: Horror. Science Fiction (the more plausible the better). Dystopian. Really any speculative fiction. I don’t mind gratuitous violence, romance (as long as it’s not the whole point), LGBT, sex (not pure erotica though). YA, NA, Adult are all fine. Your work should be as polished as you can make it, not first draft. Novella to full length.

I write: speculative fiction. I have an almost-done-revising dystopian, and have some paranormal/weird happenings shorts.

Style: Depends on what you want. I am not a professional beta or editor, but will tell you what works or not, where I decide to go to sleep, any jumping-out grammar or punctuation problems (hopefully just the occasional typo), suggest word choice, big picture things, etc. I will be honest, not sugar-coaty!

Timeline: 1-3 weeks. I will give you an idea when I know what is involved with your work.

Contact: PM with request and either your query or synopsis, and I will let you know if I think I can help.

Last edited:

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Open
Preferences: Anything YA but I prefer fantasy, high or low. I'd take contemporary too. I'm taking a break from sci-fi at the moment.
I write: YA. I mostly do fantasy but I have done some contemporary. Mainly dealing with coming-of-age issues, found-family, etc. A fairytale retelling or two.
Style: I have some professional editing background (intern and collegiate level). I'm willing to help with grammar and style as well as overall plot. Just let me know what you need. I usually do line comments on the actual draft and then a write-up, either broken down by section or chapter, depending on how much commentary I have.
Timeline: Right now, 1-3 weeks because I have finals next week. After that, 1 week.
Contact: PM me a summary and first chapter. I'll let you know if I'm into it and give you my email!

Last edited:

kingofeli

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to do beta reading! I'm not the most experienced, but I have analyzed text before for my english classes so I have all the basic knowledge. Mostly I'll gush with you about how cool your story/characters is/are, because I really love reading! I'll have a tougher time with sci-fi, historical fiction, and stories focusing on adults (20+ years old), but I'm willing to try everything and anything. I prefer to have a google doc to read through so I can make comments as I read. If you're interested in having me as a partner, just PM me on here or send me an email at [email protected].

Sherlock

Registered
Reaction score
SamGlass,

If you are still looking for a partner, I am interested, have a novel about 76K words. I am thinking of adding to it because from what I am reading, editors prefer 80K or more.

I am looking for a beta reader or a swap for a novel based in West Virginia. Sheriff Roger Rocket, an FBI agent, and several veterans are involved in protecting the county and the country from a scientist selling his research to the highest bidder. The product is a "virus" that releases dormant diseases in those who spend extended time online and will affect nearly all children, teens, and stay-at-home folks. It would cause unprecedented deaths and also drain the health care system to the breaking point. The Mountaineer Hackers come out of seclusion to help the Sheriff.

I'm pretty good on grammar, spelling, punctuation so I don't expect you to have to take your time to do that, although I am open to all comments. I don't get insulted easily and would be happy to trade reading with you. I can work at whatever pace you like.

I had a non-fiction book published several years ago and have written regularly for Law and Order Magazine (hendonpub.com) which ceased publication in October 2016 and I am now writing for Police and Security News and just had an article accepted in Goldenseal, WV’s state magazine.

Thanks!

Sherlock

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Currently unavailable.

What I read: MG (WC less than 70K). Not into "issue" books. The ms has to be mostly polished in terms of spelling and grammar, otherwise I'm going to get super distracted.

Style: I'll give comments mostly like a regular reader would... Will tell you which parts I like, which parts bore me, confuse me etc etc.

Time: 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Generally flexible. I have the next two weeks free where I will be working on finishing a draft of my own novel and would love to get stuck in to a critique as well. I am also available after July 15.

What I Read: I write YA and prefer YA. I love magical realism and any fantasy YA set in the real world. I would consider sci-fi and contemporary YA if it was the right fit. I generally don't like mysteries, but the same rules apply if it's an intriguing premise. Anything with a romance element is great! I can handle dark themes.

What I Don't Read: High Fantasy, YA or otherwise.

Style: I will critique line-by-line if the author is at a skill level that warrants it. Anyone new to the game generally needs a few drafts (or a few years) to hone their writing style, and I would gladly give a general critique commenting on story structure, character, etc.

Length: 50,000-80,000. (Standard YA length)

Timeline: Generally 3-4 weeks. If you catch me in the next couple of weeks, I can probably get it back to you faster.

Experience: I've been a member of a critique group and an in-person writer's group for several years. I've been writing relatively full-time for fourteen years. I'm currently working on my fifth novel. The last was received very well by agents, but I didn't get any offers unfortunately!

Contact: Send me a message with your query or a general overview of the plot and the first 500 words of the novel, including what kind of critique you're looking for and your preferred turnaround. I'd like to make sure we're a good fit!

Last edited:

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently Unavailable

Preferences:
I work best with lighthearted, fast-paced stories.

YA, NA, or Adult
Contemporary sci-fi/fantasy
Hard sci-fi
LGBT (of all genres)
Humor
Contemporary (NA or Adult only)
Chick Lit (NA or Adult only)

Not interested in:
High fantasy (though I'll make exceptions if it's humorous, see: Xanth)
Purple prose (nothing against it, I'm just not your person for it)
Dark themes (i.e. rape, abuse, etc.)

What I write: Contemporary/Near future sci-fi/fantasy

Beta Style: I'm pretty flexible—we can discuss what you're looking for in a beta. Generally speaking I'll let you know what works, what doesn't work, what I think needs improvement, and what I like. I'm happy to keep an eye out for grammar/punctuation.

Experience: BA in English. Repped (currently unpublished).

Timeline: I have a pretty fast turn around time—1-2 weeks, depending on my schedule and the word count.

Contact: PM me with your premise (or query) and first chapter, along with the word count. I'll let you know if it's something I can help with.

Last edited:

Scarlett1108i

Registered
Reaction score
Currently available

Hello! I am a brand new beta reader and I prefer to read fantasy, YA, romance, paranormal, and dystopian genres. Nothing too dark as in excessive violence or death.

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can be invaluable; if I am confused then your audience will be as well. I would prefer to beta read manuscripts that are close to completion/finalization as I think my feedback will be more beneficial to the author at that point.

Eventually I would like to get into proofreading, copywriting, editing, and recording audiobooks.

Feel free to message me if you are in need of a beta reader!

- Scarlett

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
Availability: Currently Available
Preferences: I like Gay/bi/Trans, Weird Fiction, Cyberpunk, Fantasy, Graphic novels, Erotica, Ero-Romance, Horro (Think Lovecraft, Junji ito, or The King in Yellow)
Won't read: Young adult, Middle Grade, Children's books, New Adult, chick lit,
What I write: I write Gay/Bi, Horror, Ero-Romance, erotica, Fantasy, cyberpunk, Humor, mystery
Beta Style: I'm very blunt. I can do by chapter interviews or full novel interview.
Timeline: I can read about a chapter a day sometimes two depending on the length though this varies. This is only Mon-Friday as I have weekend obligations.

havocblaid

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be happy to read anything you have and give my opinion if that's what you need. Just don't ask me for grammar because unless its glaring I probably won't see it.

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: Currently unavailable

Life is quiet for the next two weeks so I'm willing to beta.

I write MG.

Will read MG or YA and nothing too long (below 100k).

Will read any genre except romance (romantic subplots are fine).

No formal creative writing education but experience with academic writing so I can help a bit with grammar and spelling but my focus will be on impressions of plot and characters rather than grammar and spelling. I have a science degree so I will pick up on any incorrect science in SF.

I'm 21 so I'm within the target audience age range for young adult.

Last edited:

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently available

Preference: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, YA,LGBT, alternate history, I can do erotica (gay preferred, but all works).

My Stuff: fantasy and sci-fi mostly. I am currently working on a fantasy book (about 28K so far).

Style: I am a linear writer. I am never sure what will happen next in what I write.

Experience: I have read a lot, and am learning to critique. I don't do spelling, and I see grammar only if it is egregious.

What I am looking for: I would enjoy doing some Beta reading and providing feedback on a chapter basis. Ultimately, I would like to find a partner that I can trade stories with.

Contact: PM, e-mail, smoke signals, I don't do Morse code though (ok I used to, but I don't remember enough to be fluent anymore)

Thank you for your consideration!

loose leaf

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently available

Preferences: I enjoy anything that would appeal to a YA crowd or new adults. I'm particularly interested in diverse works by diverse authors. If you're not sure if I'd like your work, just contact me and I'll let you know!

What I don't read (as a beta reader):
Nonfiction
Overtly sexual content (or tons of making out)
Works with a pathetic or weak-minded female MC
Work with an LGBT focus (I know I said diverse works, but I don't read fiction related to this, sorry!)
High fantasy (unless it's something really easy to follow and not terribly long)
Works over 90k (might make some exceptions)
Anything super technical, with lots of technical phrases
Work with a heavy political focus
Lots of gore and descriptive violence
Anything involving MCs taking joy in unusual and disturbing things
MG literature (unless it would appeal to young adults as well)

Requirements:
Work MUST be completed and edited (self-edited)
Work must be shared in a format not dependent on internet connection (no Google Docs, for example)
It MUST be your best effort!

Beta Style:
I want to read, not edit. I'll read for the bigger picture and ideas, and give feedback on what I think about the overall story and plot/character development.

Timeline: In about 1-2 months, I'd get through most works.

A brief intro of yourself
Query-style paragraphs about the plot (DON'T send any spoilers, though!)
Why you wrote this book
What you like the most about your book
What you feel unsure about or want more feedback on
Word count
Genre
FIRST three pages!

I look forward to reading your work!

anastaciaknits

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I run a review blog, http://www.ramblingreviews.com and I do beta reading as well.

I tend to be blunt with feedback, so please keep that in mind.

I read a wide variety of genres, but prefer YA fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal- a little romance is Ok, but shouldn't be the focus. I also enjoy dystopia. I also read a lot of end of the world/cheesy disaster, zombies are eating my brains type of book, and love European historical fiction.

I live in MA, I'm an only child, work in retail, play flute with a band, and teach knitting and crochet, if anyone needs help with details/fine tuning those subjects.

I prefer to beta in word, so I can comment as I go.

Comanche

Huh??
Registered
Reaction score
Not Available. Just took on a project.

Who I Am: An old guy. I have time to read and I read a lot. I know when my day is ending when I pour a craft beer, fire up a good cigar and read an engaging book. When I pick up a book to read, I give it my best shot - I don't put a book down unless I'm just plain bored to tears. If your first 200 words aren't so good, I don't care - even the first chapter won't make me put it down. You'll have to be bad through the first quarter of your book before I leave it to gather dust.

What I read: A lot of history, historical fiction, biographies and the occasional novel. And yes - I love J. R. R. Tolkien. It may be fantasy, but his works read like history. Ken Follett is another author I enjoy. You get the idea.

What I don't read: Youth oriented works, such as fantasy - vampires and zombies bore me. Not into erotica, though an occasional steamy scene is fine. Chic lit - not.

Experience as a Beta Reader: Zilch. Zero. Null. None. The most I've done is make suggestions for other people's academic writings.

PM me if you are interested. I'll work in a Word file, using comments and/or revisions. I am not a particularity tough person, so I won't be body slamming anyone's writing, but I will be honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.