• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutumnJLake

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to beta read any romantic suspense, erotica or urban fantasy.

PretzelGirl

Registered
Reaction score
CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE FOR ANYMORE, HAVE GOT MY FILL FOR A WHILE :)

I'm happy to beta read novel length fiction, from various genres. However, I'm not comfortable with my knowledge of sci-fi, so I'll give that one a miss!

I'm available right now.

I'm currently at university writing a thesis, but I read all the time so it should be no bother.

I'm 25 and have been critiquing online and for a friend for many years. I give very indepth critiques and am comfortable with grammar/spelling, structure, dialogue, characterisation and pretty much all I can think of! Which doesn't mean I know everything there is to know, just that I can give you my honest judgement.

And I am very honest. I don't sugar-coat or keep back anything.

Look forward to reading some work!

Last edited:

Nephthis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sugarbeats.net
Status: I will NOT be accepting anymore reads for probably a 2 week period. You may still SEND me pieces to read AFTER that period, but I won't be able to get to them until then. Thank you for understanding!

Hello! I'm willing to critter and/or beta for fantasy/sci-fi/horror. I tend to read Stephen King, Laurell K. Hamiliton, Neil Gaiman, etc... (genre examples) but don't mind going out of my comfort zone. I don't mind gore, explicit scenes, and colorful language doesn't bother me. In fact, very little can crawl under my skin as far as offending me.

I'm 25, and have been writing since the 5th grade. I'm currently on my way to majoring in Creative Writing, and would like to help out fellow writers.

I'm honest, but I don't hold back. I will not baby you or your piece, but I will deliver the feedback in a positive light.

If you're interested, please PM message me. Please include what exactly you're looking for from me as a beta reader as sometimes writers expect different things, and the first chapter of your piece, so I know whether or not I'll be a good match for your project. I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I can beta almost any kind of YA. I tend to not read much Sci-Fi or Fantasy, though.
My preferred genre is contemporary YA, and I don't get bothered by content easily.
I also have a pretty fast turn-around time and will be honest when critiquing your work.

PM me if you're interested.

I'm currently not available to beta read.

Last edited:

sada808

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in being a beta reader as well. My preference would be mainstream literary, memoir, or possibly historical. I'm also really interested in poetry and non-fiction, and if someone had something in either of these categories that they'd like a reader for, I'm in.

I spent some time teaching writing structure (personal essays and memoirs), so my critiques might be more useful for form and structure than for voice. But I'm happy to read and offer my feedback. If anyone's interested, let me know.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available

What I will read: I'd love to read your erotic romance short stories/novellas/short novels (up to 40K) of any pairing - m/f, m/m, f/f. In any genre, except for gore horror and murder crime story lines.
I prefer m/m.
Any heat level.

I'm also interested in reading YA and fantasy though I'm not experienced in those genres, just interested in expanding my likes :)

What I won't read: Again, gore horror or crime fiction. Childrens or inspirational.

Schedule/time frame: I work pt, full-time mom so I may be a little slow.
It's easier if it's just a read-through so I can put it on my e-reader because I get headaches after a while on my pc.

My critique style: I don't really have one yet as I'm new but I know what I like and can pick out spelling errors, plotting and character interaction issues. Grammar is my weakness.
I prefer not to do a line-by-line critique.

About me: Well a short blurb. I write m/m romance fiction by the pen Azalea Moone. I currently have two manuscripts I am working on, both being beta'd too :)

I used to write a lot of angsty horror in my teens lol

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm available for beta reading/critiquing, though I can only take on one or two projects at the most, concurrently, as I have a full-time job and I write every day. ETA: Got three responses, so I'm closed for the time being.

I write adult (as opposed to YA) fantasy, both secondary world and contemporary/urban. I dabble in horror short stories. I also write erotic paranormal romance.

I have an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill, so I'm fairly experienced at critiquing. I'm also comfortable with working outside my writing genres.

I most experienced at critiquing fantasy, science fiction, romance, erotic romance (doesn't matter the pairing), and horror, but I can critique a pretty wide spectrum of fiction.

My default style is both line edits and overall story comments. I can tailor this to suit what you'd like though. I can be as exacting or as gentle as you'd like, as well.

Samples of my own writing are available on my webpage (in sig) if you want to take a gander at my writing style.

I'm currently working on a secondary-world fantasy novel that has quite a bit of political intrigue and also an M/M erotic paranormal romance involving a vampire-hunting fae that's set on a trans-Atlantic cruise. Neither is done, so they're both very first-draft-y.

I'm certainly willing to swap, if you'd like. Or not, if you don't have the time. :)

PM me, if interested.

Last edited:

FrederickS

Registered
Reaction score
I am willing to beta read action thrillers or comedy (weird combo, I know). I might consider motivational / business non-fiction. I have an unusual background that would help with certain aspects of spy / military thrillers - especially those involving ICI (Interrogation / Counter-Interrogation), Psy-Ops, Surveillance & Counter-Surveillance, Terrorist Cell operations and logistics etc...
Post military, I have done stand-up comedy in Las Vegas, won the area Comedy Championships and been published in magazines.
One other area in which I have expertise is career / employment / business as I own an executive recruiting firm.
Strengths: Ability to provide practical feedback without tearing down motivation. Strong intuition for character & plot development.
Weaknesses: Punctuation and technical aspects of sentence structure etc...
Send me a summary or a couple chapters and we'll take it from there.

nchahine

Something should go here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
noorachahine.wordpress.com

Will beta: Anything SF/Fantasy (whether it's YA, adult, etc). Horror is fine, too, though I'm less experienced in critiquing that genre.

Time frame: 1 - 2 weeks for about 20,000 - 50,000 words.

Me: I write mostly SF, though I've written and beta'd for fantasy before. I've been previously active on Critters.

What I'll concentrate on: Plot, characterization, basic grammar. I'm more moderate in my style, so I'll never say something sucks, but I'll let you know if something isn't working.

Last edited:

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Status: Closed. Two projects. Should re-open in the next week or so. Keep checking back.

Will Beta: Short fiction. Anything under 15k for all works except YA. Anything 55k and below for YA fiction.

Time: Depends on work and school. For short fiction 1-4 days. For YA 1-2 weeks.

Send me a PM and we will discuss what you are looking for as far as a critique goes. I will meet your needs the best I can. Please note I'm not the best at catching grammar mistakes. I mainly do well with characterization, pace, and plot.

Last edited:

ShaylaElla

Newb. Thick-skinned all the same.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaylascommentary.blogspot.com

Important: I'm a total newbie to this. Keep your expectations low!

Time frame: Not sure. Never beta'd before. I like the idea of swapping just a chapter at a time. For one thing, to see if we mesh. For another, I'm likely to be a slowpoke. I've got a busy life.

Will beta: Fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi, romance, dystopian, YA.

Critique style: Who knows. I've done a bit of critique on Authonomy, but nothing serious. I'd say it's probably best for you to tell me what kind of critique you're looking for -- grammar, voice, plot, character, line by line -- and I'll do my best.

I write: My current MS is an urban fantasy, about 108K. It's been through a few drafts, but it's also the first thing I've ever written. Consider yourself warned.

Ms.Happy

Registered
Reaction score
Will beta: Novellas/short novels (50k or less) Anything Romance (whether it's YA, erotic, etc), Erotica, women's lit. I like contemporary and romantic suspense. Not big into regency but will do it.
Will NOT beta: Horror or SF.

Time frame: 1 - 2 weeks

Me: I am a complete newbie. I write mostly Romance (and children's...I knowvery different).

What I'll concentrate on: Grammar, plot, flow. I will say EVERYTHING constructively. I will not say something sucks.

Vilya

May the way of the hero...
Registered
Reaction score
Availability- As of 9/13/11 have a project, won't be available until further notice.

What I will read- Right now I would prefer an adult fantasy novel, though I may be talked into young adult fantasy.

What turns me off- Gore, sex, and language for the shock value. Nothing makes me roll my eyes faster. If it happens to fit the characters and plot, then you are fine.

Time frame- I have never done this before, though I have critiqued a lot on SYW. A lot of this will depend too, on what kind of critique you want, and how long your novel is. I consider myself to be on the fast side for reading. My best estimate is 2 weeks to a month. But if you absolutely need it done before six weeks (just to be sure) I would suggest that you get someone else.

My critique style- So here is what I bring to the table. My personal style is to read through a chapter, commenting on my initial impressions. Then I like to go through and do the more indepth work. I am just as likely to tell you when I am impressed with something, as when I think something isn't working. I won't hold back, but I will never just tell you that something doesn't work without giving you suggestions on what I think could be done to fix it.

About me- I am in the process of writing a fantasy series. I am female. (and the reason I tell you that is because a lot of writers wonder if their work will appeal to both genders.)

Compatability- I have Open Office and Microsoft Word. I would prefer a manuscript in one of those formats.

Contact- If you are interested PM me with the back cover copy of your novel (Please be sure there are no plot spoilers), a word count, and details on what kind of critique you would like. If I am interested I will ask for your first two chapters, just to be sure that I like your writing style. If that goes well I will dig right in.

Last edited:

JanineB

Registered
Reaction score
Currently Unavailable

I’m interested in becoming a beta reader. I generally read romance, contemporary fiction, and historical fiction. However, I’m open to trying new genres as well. Explicit content doesn’t bother me, as long as there’s nothing too gruesome!

I’d be mostly looking to proofread or line edit, but I can also offer my opinion on the bigger picture if wanted. I’ll accept either short stories or novels, either complete or incomplete.

If you’re interested, please send me a PM.

Last edited:

KMSmith81

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: 03/29/12: My free time continues to ebb and flow. Please PM me to inquire as to my current availability.

Experience: I am a former Borders bookseller and romance expert with over nine years of experience in the market. While I have beta-read for various fanfiction authors, I have also read for a published author whose second & fourth book hit the USA Today bestseller list and her third book made the New York Times extended paperback list.

Specialization:
My main area of expertise is paranormal romance. Aside from that subgenre, I am willing to read contemporary, historical, erotica, Christian inspirational, steampunk, urban fantasy, fantasy, or space romances. I will also do military, multi-cultural, or suspense, but these are the areas I read the least. Young adult is acceptable if it is primarily a romance with the obligatory happy ending. I am comfortable with m/m or m/f, but I have no experience with f/f at this time. I am not opposed to reading non-romance manuscripts, but I will not be as effective. At this time, I'd prefer only romance or erotica manuscripts. I've reached my limit on everything else.

What I won't read:
Anything containing zombies, adultery, cannibalism, incest, scat, necrophilia, and gratuitous child or animal abuse. I will notify the author promptly if I feel I will not be able to read the manuscript with an objective frame of mind. At this time, I am also rather burned out on paranormal romances containing angels with religious origins.

Schedule/time frame:
The turn-around time will depend on the quality of the manuscript, the length, what the author is looking for from the beta-reading, and how much time I can eke out. It could range from a couple of hours to a couple of days.

My critique style: I prefer the manuscript in a Word .doc so that I can make comments directly onto the document. I make stream-of-conscious comments while reading. After I'm finished, I will type up a report with any overall questions, comments, or concerns. Unless specifically requested otherwise, I will also make note of any awkward sentence phrasing, misspellings or other grammar issues that I notice (I am not claiming to be a copy-editor so there may be things I miss). Please note that I tend to the brutally honest side of things. You won't get rah-rah cheerleading from me unless I genuinely think you deserve it.

Other Notes
: I am currently offering my services for free as I wish to build my resume. I maintain strict confidentiality about the manuscripts I read, but I may ask to list your book as a project I've worked on. In addition, if the current manuscript is a second book in a series, I'd like either an e-book copy or a detailed summary of the first book. If the manuscript is eventually published by a small press or mainstream publisher, I would also like a copy of the finished file or book.

Disclaimer: While I can tell you if your book is on trend or marketable, it will be my opinion. I cannot help you get published.

Please PM me if you're interested or have any questions. Once we have agreed on what your expectations of me would be, I will provide you with an email address where you may send the file.

Last edited:

esasafe

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable (10-15-11)

Preference: Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mainstream / Contemporary, YA. Will read and critique short stories, novels, and epics. For now, would prefer to avoid scenes of excessive torture / abuse / necrophilia.

I've read an excessive amount of SciFi / Fantasy (high, low, historical, heroic, steampunk, comedic, almost anything really) / YA, and feel I would be best able to read and respond to stories in these genres. I am slightly less read in contemporary fiction. On that same note, I've read much more novel length works than I have short stories.

Time Frame: In general, I'm a very fast reader. I expect to be able to turn around what you send me within 7-14 days, sooner for shorter works and, obviously, longer for lengthier pieces. If you have a hard deadline and need a fast and thorough critique, I can most likely handle it (unless it's something like a 200,000 word novel that you need done in 2 days). Also the level of critique requested may also play a small role in turn around time.

Critique Style:
Can be adjusted to what the author needs, whether it's line-by-line critiques, overall comments on flow / characterization / continuity in the story, or something in between. Level of harshness can also be adjusted, though I tend to keep my comments moderate in tone. If you ask me to rip you a new one, though, I'll do my best.

I used to copy edit articles, so I can make comments on grammar / syntax issues I find. I also am a part-time student, so expect minimal replies / reading to be done on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Last edited:

dietvanillatim

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Reader Available

I'd be happy to be a beta reader for your novel or short story. Basically any genre or style is OK. I'm not particularly steeped in genre fiction, like sci-fi or fantasy or paranormal. I'll gladly read them, but if your novel is very dependent on current trends in steampunk, for example, I won't catch on.

I'm not interested in romance, erotica, or YA.

I'm a college professor with a little baby, so my critiques will be general impressions, overall questions, and occasional line edits that jump out at me.

PM me with a description of your book, a few sample pages, and we'll see if we connect!

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable

Will critique: Short stories and smaller novellas. Most comfortable with Horror (both supernatural and realistic), Sci Fi, Fantasy and Spec fic. Happy to do more contemporary/realist stuff too, though its not an area I'm hugely well-read in (at least in short fiction). No erotica, please.

Critique style: I'll try for a somewhat thorough line-edit, focusing on voice and written expression, structure, plot/logic issues, as well as general thoughts about the overall feel of the plot/characters/atmosphere/etc. Depends on my current workload and how quick a turnaround you're looking for though.

My critiques are honest and I try to avoid sugar coating things (ultimately, I don't think writers gain much from critiques that hold back), but I try to be nice about it and strongly emphasize the parts I really liked as well.

Turnaround: I'll try for a week, maybe a bit longer if its a more lengthy novella. This could change quite dramatically in the next couple of weeks though (I'm a Post-grad student and heading into a very assessment heavy period).

PM me if interested, and I'll give you my email.

Last edited:

S.M.Alexander

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Availability:Unavailable

Experience: I studied writing at university and as such had to do a lot of editing of my own fiction/essays/etc. as well as editing other peoples' work to an acceptable degree level.

What I will read:
I am willing to work on a range of fiction, but my particular preferences are gay/slash fiction, fantasy, horror and dark fiction. But most genres will be considered. I will read long or short pieces of fiction. I am fine with violence, erotica etc. etc. I am also willing to look at short pieces of non-fiction.

What I won't read:
Teen fiction, anything where the characters are younger than 21. I have a preference for realistic and mature characters and I am not interested in reading about 16 year olds.

Time frame:
It depends how long the piece is. I will try to get things back as soon as possible, but it could be anywhere from a day to a few weeks.

My critique style: I prefer pieces sent as a word file so I can track changes and add comments. My preferred method of editing is to check spelling, grammar and to suggest changes where needed but I am willing to change to suit your needs.

Notes: I am generally unavailable at the weekends to do much work so don't contact me on a Friday if you need something by Monday.

Contact: Please PM me on here to discuss any work you wish me to do.

Last edited:

Duppy

The Attic Dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Available: Not Right Now

Experience: Laughable

I'm not going to be much use a proofreader/editor. I'll offer feedback where I can, but I'm not doing this as any kind of an expert.

I Like:

Quirky characters. Atypical romances. Humor, angst, wit, heartbreak, and happy endings. Gender role-reversals. M/M. Post-Apocalyptic. Degenerative Society. Modern Contemporary. Books that don't easily slot into one genre. Psychological and theological themes. Books involving cops/criminals.

I Dislike:

Incompetent heroines who keep needing to be saved by their love interest. (I find incompetent heroes adorable, though. Mm. Yep, I've got double-standards out the wazoo). Vampires/Elves/Any other race constantly depicted as fundamentally superior to humans. Pretty much any pop-culturally conventional heterosexual relationship. Manga rip-offs (I love my manga, but I've seen too many hacks).

I'm Fine With: Erotica, as long as it's got a plot and isn't just a lot of sex.

Contact Me With:

The book's 1rst chapter and a blurb-esque paragraph letting me know what this book is about.

I can only give proper beta-reader attention to one or two books at a time, so I may end up turning a lot of people down. Don't take it personally, please.

Other Information:

I'm a reader, but I'm a writer too. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of writer who likes what's in her head but doesn't like how it turns out on paper. I'm hoping that trying to help other people will help me help myself get over this issue. That's why I'm doing this. Now you know. ^_^''

Last edited:

Abigail_Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Available to beta swap for YA

I'm looking to find one or more authors interested in beta swapping YA novels. I review books professionally and focus more on character development, plot, pacing, stylistic inconsistencies, and anything that would cause me to give a book a positive/negative review. I'm less focused on grammar/spelling mistakes and am interested in similar feedback on my book.

PM me if you are interested in swapping a few chapters to see if we'd be a good fit. My story is called Starry Starry Night, a contemporary YA with a strong romantic plot. My first draft is complete, but I'm still revising, at 70k words.

Synopsis:

In the summer in Arizona, the only thing more oppressive than the heat is the silence in sixteen year old Jill Whitaker's house since her mother left. Now she can only breath stretched out on the roof under her stars. In the house, the yelling is gone, but she and her dad are struggling to move past their shared anger and rediscover how they live just the two of them. Jill spends her mornings dragging herself to train for cross-country for the sake of her newly fit best friend, along with Sean, the guy she grew up in love with but who never loved her back, her days working alongside her dad at his auto body shop, and her nights falling for the damaged older guy who moves in next door.

The yelling she hears from Daniel's house is much too familiar. She reaches out to him, and slowly, he reaches back. Soon, Daniel begins escaping with Jill under the stars. But just like with Sean, Jill seems to be the only one who wants more than friendship. After a disastrous night that shatters Jill's dreams of romance, her mother returns and threatens the only good thing Jill has left, her dad.

Abigail

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've gotten lots of awesome beta readers by posting here, figured I'd "give back"

Availability: Unavailable

Genre preferences- I will essentially read anything as long as I find the premise interesting. I prefer YA, however and would rather read something plot driven than character driven (unless it has a strong hook). I DO read vampire lit, so feel free to send it my way. I like stories with a romantic element as long as there's another plot involved. I also like edgy stories with dark themes. If there's somethng very unconventional about our story, structure or concept, I'm probably interested.

Not interested in- romance (including adult PNR, but I will read YA PNR), erotica, urban fiction, high fantasy, sci-fi (very light sci-fi is okay on the YA side), chick-lit, memoirs, poetry, sports themed books, picture books, middle grade, anything centered around faith.

Critique style: Pretty blunt. Sugar-coating is a waste of everyone's time. I do inline critiques, usually focusing on structural issues, any repeated grammar or spelling issues and general impressions as I read. I'm big on characterization, pacing and plot development.

Turn around: I read pretty fast, I can do 50K in two or three days. BUT, I'm kind of forgettable. If you're one of the rare people who falls through the cracks, all it takes is a quick email reminder and I'm on it.

Send me a PM with your query/a summary and word count. For now I'm going to ask that you only send requests if your MS is under 85K.

Last edited:

AlienGirl

Banned
Reaction score
Availability: Available

Genre preferences- Thriller, mystery, suspense, horror, YA and science fiction.

Not interested in- Romance, erotica, fantasy

Critique style: Straight-forward, constructive. I will do my best to offer reasons for all the reactions that I had to your work and explain what could be done to make the work better.

Disclaimer: My only qualification is being your target audience. I'm good with grammar, but if this is a very problematic area for you, I'm not the one to turn to. I can, however, tell you what would make your book more moving and interesting, but it's only one person's opinion.

Contact: PM me, include the length, genre and the areas you'd like me to focus on.

Last edited:

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Currently full up. Sorry.

I can Swap Historical fiction pieces.

I'm knowledgable in the following areas:
The Tudors
Salem Witch Trials
American Revolutionary War
American Civil War

I can help with historical detail, I always have lots of ideas concerning plot and character development, and a tinsy bit with grammar.

PM me if interested or email me at [email protected] with a subject like Beta-Reading. Thanks.

Last edited:

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Status: Unavailable, as of a long time ago, but I hadn't been on the site : (

Genre Pref: I’m only an expert in YA, so if you write adult I won’t be much help :). I’ll read sci-fi, fantasy (any kind), or horror. Any other genre, as long as it’s a subgenre, is fine.

Not interested in: Incomplete works, historical

Disclaimer: You don’t have to be in your final version of the story or anything. You can be in the first draft. I just want a beginning, middle and end. It’s much easier to critique and assess that way. I also highly suggest you get line edits before requesting me. It has come up a few times, and if I can't concentrate on your actual story I will email you and tell you either I can't do it, or if you want me to continue, I will force myself and it will be a harsh critique.

Contact: PM me with what you want me to call you, the length of the MS, the genre and what the story is about, and what you want me to focus on in particular. Keep in mind, I can’t do line edits/grammar and mechanics (unless it’s glaring and repeats itself). If possible, I’d like a small excerpt as well (at LEAST 500 words). If you have any of your work in SYW, that is extremely helpful (sometimes, the writing style of the author isn't my cup of tea and 500 words isn't long enough to warn me.).

*Note* If you want to know more about me, just say more yourself. I’d rather be the perfect audience for your book so I can critique properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.