New bookconcept in The Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I see no advantage--for me. It looks uncomfortable to hold. I'll pass until someone actually has a good idea.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I took a finished manuscript of mine and set it to full justification, double space, 1" margins, Courier 12-pt. 323 pages in portrait. 515 pages in landscape.

Next?

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Okay. I took a finished manuscript of mine and set it to full justification, double space, 1" margins, Courier 12-pt. 323 pages in portrait. 515 pages in landscape.

Next?

Something funny is going on. Courier is ten characters per inch horizontally; you get three lines per inch if you double space.

Portrait line is (6.5 in * 10 char/in)
landscape line is (9 in * 10 char/in)

Portrait page is 9 in * 3 lines/in
landscape page is 6.5 in * 3 lines/in

Characters per portrait page:

(6.5 in * 10 char/in) * (9 in * 3 lines/in)

Characters per landscape page:

(9 in * 10 char/in) * (6.5 in * 3 lines/in)

Possibly the landscape is dropping the extra "half line" since you can't get 19.5 lines on a page, but I doubt if that would account for this much difference.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
looks like a book printed the wrong way up?
I'm just not getting what's so special about it?

my thoughts exactly. we already have books that'll fit in our pockets. i would need scientific proof that a book printed this way would save pages. I just don't get why they think it's special, revolutionary, etc. I think it's neat...but that's about it.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
did anybody else note that titles in Dutch is titels?

Reaction score
I think it was an accident. A Dutch publisher smoking one of them there crazy cigarettes...fucked up..."I know! I'll tell people I meant to do this!"

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it was an accident. A Dutch publisher smoking one of them there crazy cigarettes...fucked up..."I know! I'll tell people I meant to do this!"

Yes...and then his French co-worker put his crazy cigarette out in the Dutch man's eye and said, totally off topic, "f*cking Americans!"

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Next?

Something funny is going on. Courier is ten characters per inch horizontally; you get three lines per inch if you double space.

Portrait line is (6.5 in * 10 char/in)
landscape line is (9 in * 10 char/in)

Portrait page is 9 in * 3 lines/in
landscape page is 6.5 in * 3 lines/in

Characters per portrait page:

(6.5 in * 10 char/in) * (9 in * 3 lines/in)

Characters per landscape page:

(9 in * 10 char/in) * (6.5 in * 3 lines/in)

Possibly the landscape is dropping the extra "half line" since you can't get 19.5 lines on a page, but I doubt if that would account for this much difference.
Don't know where I got the 313, but I rechecked it. Portrait is 500, not 313, and landscape is still 515.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I like the novelty value of it. And it doesn't look particularly uncomfortable to hold, either. In fact, it looks to me like it'd be more comfortable to hold than a normal paperback (or at least more comfortable than the way i hold them). But i agree that it could only work with short books. Try converting any Tad Williams book to that format and let's see if it fits in a back pocket...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
When they do the double dutch, that's them dancin'.

buttterflywilma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
schrijfeenboek.punt.nl
Yes titles is titels in Dutch and paper is papier, book is boek.

The inventor says: "It's a small sized book (8 to 12 cm) which will hopefully boost booksales and compete with the ereader because of it's handy format. It's compact with very thin pages (biblepaper). It's much lighter than the average book and has a normal fontsize.
We use a very special technique which keeps the books thin.
We have already published a book titled 'Bedrog' and it has 1275 pages but weighs 150 grams.

For larger books like tolstoj we can use even thinner paper.
We are the only entreprise in the world that uses 22 and 25 grams paper.

For this new concept we use 40 grams which is like cardboard to us. We also have a special technique to make the spine."

btw I agree that it looks uncomfortable to hold.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yes titles is titels in Dutch and paper is papier, book is boek.

The inventor says: "It's a small sized book (8 to 12 cm) which will hopefully boost booksales and compete with the ereader because of it's handy format. It's compact with very thin pages (biblepaper). It's much lighter than the average book and has a normal fontsize.
We use a very special technique which keeps the books thin.
We have already published a book titled 'Bedrog' and it has 1275 pages but weighs 150 grams.

For larger books like tolstoj we can use even thinner paper.
We are the only entreprise in the world that uses 22 and 25 grams paper.

For this new concept we use 40 grams which is like cardboard to us. We also have a special technique to make the spine."

Seeing is believing.
kewl :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Emperor's New Concept?

It's just a cool (and sometimes practical) addition to what's already out there. Invented to keep people reading.

I see that some of you already came up with some nice English names for this Dutch concept :D
The Dutch Date Book?

Wait, I know, "The Emperor's New Novel," available now (to the author) by PublishNetherlands!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's just a cool (and sometimes practical) addition to what's already out there. Invented to keep people reading.

Invented to sell a product. I have no objection to such marketing, but let's be real now. With Billy Mays regrettably deceased, I expect to see Vince the Shamwow Guy hawking this product on TV any day.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.