Is America Coming Apart?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's interesting that this is coming from Mr. Buchanan, given that he was one of the individuals "driving the wedge" as far back as 40 years ago. (For example the anti-MLK, Jr. propaganda, and his homophobic claims from the '70's.)

ETA: I suppose it is possible that, as he has aged, he has reconsidered his rhetoric.

Yeah, I think you're on to something there, Williebee. :)

No. He's not.

Pat Buchanan hasn't reconsidered a damn thing. He's still as hateful, bigoted and hostile to anything and everyone that doesn't fit into his narrow and xenophobic view of America.

In his column Buchanan writes, One part of America loves her history, another reviles it as racist, imperialist and genocidal. Old heroes like Columbus, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee are replaced by Dr. King and Cesar Chavez.

What is it about Martin Luther King Jr. and Cesar Chavez that pisses off Buchanan so much? Is it because they were men of peace and not soldiers and explorers or is their skin color that makes King and Chavez unworthy to be considered "heroes?"

Buchanan is older, but he hasn’t mellowed with age like a fine wine. If anything he’s become even more of a bitter old bigot, homophobe and anti-Semitic than he was. Just as recently as June, Buchanan and MSNBC's Rachel Maddow argued over his opposition to affirmative action and Judge Sonia Sotomayor’s nomination to the Supreme Court.

Buchanan’s history of making inflammatory remarks defending Hitler, denigrating homosexuals, demonizing feminists and degrading minorities should forever disqualify him from appearing on a national news channel. Instead, he’s “Uncle Pat” who plays the role of the crotchety curdmudgeon for Maddow so she can shake her head sadly over how backwards and bigoted he is.

As recently as Buchanan March 2008 had reacted to candidate Barack Obama’s speech about race and raged where was the gratitude from Blacks for all White Americans had done for them?

…America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.

(Jeremiah) Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the ’60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream.

Governments, businesses and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks — with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas — to advance black applicants over white applicants.

Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.

We hear the grievances. Where is the gratitude?

Buchanan conveniently forgets if White Americans hadn’t set sail to enslave Black Africans, their damn “Christian salvation” would have been unnecessary in the first place.

Only a White supremacist with a delusional sense of history could even suggest Black Africans ended up with the better end of the deal by being slaves. That, or a total fool.

Then, there's Buchanan's perspective that Adolf Hitler was a great warrior who has been given a bad rap.

“Those of us in childhood during the war years were introduced to Hitler only as a caricature…Though Hitler was indeed racist and anti-Semitic to the core, a man who without compunction could commit murder and genocide, he was also an individual of great courage, a soldier’s soldier in the Great War, a leader steeped in the history of Europe, who possessed oratorical powers that could awe even those who despised him. But Hitler’s success was not based on his extraordinary gifts alone. His genius was an intuitive sense of the mushiness, the character flaws, the weakness masquerading as morality that was in the hearts of the statesmen who stood in his path.”
- St. Louis Globe – Democrat, Aug 25, 1977​

What’s the difference between Buchanan praising Hitler as “individual of great courage” possessing both “extraordinary gifts” and “genius” and MSNBC giving him a national platform and Louis Farrakhan calling the Fuhrer “wickedly great?” Is it that Farrakhan is a reviled figure by the good ol’ boy mainstream media while Buchanan is regarded as a kindred spirit who occasionally says off-the-wall things about Nazis?

Buchanan is a aging xenophobe and racist who longs for the America of his youth where women stood by their man, Negroes knew their place, Hispanics weren't causing panic and the homos stayed in the damn closet.

I like that his fantasy America is dying right along with him.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this.

Are modern African Americans better off than modern Africans?

Then I realized that, if Europeans didn't go in and enslave large chunks of the African population, maybe that region woulden't be completely destabilized and horrible.

So, nevermind.

Mr. Pocket Keeper

Registered
Reaction score
I have no sympathy for Steelers or Patriots fans. Phantom holding calls never go against them.

See, conservatives and liberals can agree.

Maybe there's hope for this country, after all. :D

I just have to say that I find it interesting that on today of all days, this thread was started.

Eight years ago, America came together as a nation over the devastating tragedy of 9-11. And it wasn't all to do with politics or revenge, but over the fact that we had lost fellow countrymen in an act of hatred. We came together because we were all of us hurting and trying to comfort one another. We came together to rebuild and let the world know that even though we don't all agree, we are still a unified country when it comes to taking care of those touched by tragedy.

Four years ago, the American South was devastated. Hurricane Katrina swept through and decimated the land. We, as a people, came together and helped our neighbors through a time of crisis and loss.

After a time, both of these events were darkened by political agendas on both sides, but the fact remains that in our darkest hours, America comes together for Her own and we remain unified.

I think that the simple fact that in times of loss and sorrow we come together proves the fact that the ability to be a unified country is still here. We just need to have a common rallying point.

Well said.

Fixed. I never did. I want to make this clear: patriotic rah-rah nonsense never swayed my heart. Cool as a cucumber, I am. And I knew others like me.

I knew plenty of others like you.

Get a dozen or so lunatics to slam a few jumbo jets into the sides of a couple of skyscrapers and you'll see the vast, vast majority of America unite behind Obama, even those who don't care for him much. Just as they did Bush.

Americans are like two rowdy brothers. They'll fight with each other, yell at each other, and say and do nasty things to each other, but as soon as an outsider jumps in, both brothers are united against the outsider. That is Americans in a nutshell.

Exactly.

I can't remember how often my Mother would say If you have a problem with Jennifer (my sister), you wait till you come home to have it out with her. Outside, in front of others, you watch her back and you stand together. She is your family.

America is family. Sure, we fight, and there are lots of things that divide us. But, when the shit hits the fan, we do put our differences aside...at least temporarily...and unite. I think that's been proven over and over.

There is not a doubt in my mind that if, God forbid, we have another attack during Obama's presidency, the vast majority of Americans will come together and stand behind the President. Even the ones that are vehemently opposed to him now.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there is a rise of extremism globally. I think a lot of it stems from fear, a loss of identity to new ideas. It's a loss of a comfort zone. To me, extremism feels like a need to assert an identity, and the only way to establish that identity and make it recognizable is to make it extreme and unyielding.

I think we're advancing socially and technologically at a terrifying rate for some. And digging in their heels is often out of a fear of that change, and perhaps - understandably - a need to catch their breath and assess all that is happening around them. Likewise there are those of which change can't happen fast enough, and feel a need to needle those who want to assess it. Regardless, I blame a lot of extremism and hostility on a tidal wave of unprecedented discoveries, technological advancements, overpopulation and the resulting issues they raise that have rocked the very core of human identity. I think it's sad but likely that some will retreat to a safe haven of staunch ideology.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well the eagle's been flying slow and the flag's been flying low
And a lot of people are saying that America's fixing to fall
But speaking just for me and some people from Tennessee
We got a thing or two to tell you all
This lady may have stumbled but she ain't never fell
And if the Russians don't believe that they can all go straight to hell
We're gonna put her feet back on the path of righteousness
And then God bless America again...

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hey, I just said it was possible that Mr. Buchanan has reconsidered his positions of hatred and bigotry. I didn't suggest that he actually had.

IMHO I think it is far more likely that he is merely positioning himself again, speaking out in a way that allows him to feel like what he believes and says still carries some weight, and that he is still involved.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
What this world needs is a few more rednecks
Some people with the nerve to take a stand
What this world needs is a little more respect
For the Lord and the law and the working man

"You see the problem with college professors, as I see it, is that they aren't teaching, they're proselytizing, trying to bring their students around to their way of thinking, which for the most part is anti-religion, anti-moral and blames everything except the Ice Age on America."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
BOP, that last paragraph you just said?

Yeah, you could slap it onto any century from the 17th onward and it'd be just as valid.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BOP, that last paragraph you just said?

Yeah, you could slap it onto any century from the 17th onward and it'd be just as valid.
That's interesting. I disagree, Z, but why the 17th century??

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, did I say 17th century?

I meant 18th.

I got confused cause, well, 18th century starts in 1700.

Ugh.

As for why, that was...well, when the Industrial Revolution really started to kick into full swing. We had changed before...but around then, change started to become rapid pace. The change from the 18th to 19th century was incredible. The change from 19th to 20th was even more incredible. Then the change from the 20th to the 21st is astounding.

If this keeps up, by the 22nd century we'll either be dead, or have godlike awesome powers.

Cool, huh?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, did I say 17th century?

I meant 18th.

I got confused cause, well, 18th century starts in 1700.

Ugh.

As for why, that was...well, when the Industrial Revolution really started to kick into full swing. We had changed before...but around then, change started to become rapid pace. The change from the 18th to 19th century was incredible. The change from 19th to 20th was even more incredible. Then the change from the 20th to the 21st is astounding.

If this keeps up, by the 22nd century we'll either be dead, or have godlike awesome powers.

Cool, huh?

Well, I think Darwin had a major impact on the course of mankind, and the advent of broad spectrum antibiotics in the thirties: sulfa drugs to be more precise. Antibiotics had an immediate impact on saving lives, more so than vaccines, i.e. "taking it out of God's hands" so to speak. I think that furthered a change in the perception of mankind, and the recognition of the astounding ability of human brainpower. And then of course, there's Einstein.

But where this century makes its big departure from the others imho is that we're actually flirting with physical immortality. And we're also impacting every corner of the globe. We have a dire population problem, but with that comes a bigger pool of brilliance. Our communication is lightening fast; the world is small; information is an instant away. I think, moreso than any other period for mankind overall, we're on the brink of sink or swim. Sink if the planet reacts to us like a virus as it's beginning to do; or swim, which is pretty exciting as we are - imho - going to be a very different animal than we are at this moment, a very different being in the not too distant future. . . . .

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Get a dozen or so lunatics to slam a few jumbo jets into the sides of a couple of skyscrapers and you'll see the vast, vast majority of America unite behind Obama, even those who don't care for him much. Just as they did Bush.

Americans are like two rowdy brothers. They'll fight with each other, yell at each other, and say and do nasty things to each other, but as soon as an outsider jumps in, both brothers are united against the outsider. That is Americans in a nutshell.

What if the people who do this are Americans? I know people who shouted, "Yes!" and pumped their fists in the air when the Alfred P. Murragh building went up.

And I've known brothers like that. Their dysfunctional dynamic ended when one stuck a knife in the other.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've said before and I'll say it again: Earth is going to be the first planet we terraform. Once we figure out how to play the ecology like a fiddle, we can make a new one on Mars or Venus.

Also, RH, we've already survived at least one spout of knife fighting.