What does "lastness" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeman801

Registered
Reaction score
I have become a big Mary Shelley fan the last year or so.

Perusing my local bookstore I came across The Last Man, a book that I will start to read after I finish some Vonnegut.

Ever since I bought the book I've been doing some research online about it, reading only the things that don't give away spoilers.

I checked Wikipedia of course, along with other websites, but the wiki had a term I wasn't familiar with, "lastness." Here is what Wiki says:

"The Last Man received the worst reviews of all of Mary Shelley's novels: most reviewers derided the very theme of lastness, which had become a common one in the previous two decades.... The novel was not republished until 1965. In the 20th century it received new critical attention, perhaps because the notion of lastness had become more relevant."

Is this the same as saying "the book is a post-apocalyptic view of...", meaning the critics didn't like it because it was about the end of society, the end of days, or....?

Help!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like they're talking about lastness meaning "the state of being one of the last few survivors on earth". When she wrote people didn't think it was serious/relevant, but now obviously we find it relevant and entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.