He loves it; he loves it not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My pard is also a writer, writing the same genres I do. We are each other's primary betas. We share the same agent and publisher database. We get to gripe writerly gripes nonstop, and neither one of us is bored.

Nonstop writerly griping, wow, that's a really big perk.

Of course, two people in the same field must face the spectre of what happens if one of them succeeds while the other labors on in relative obscurity. That could be a big one. We should only be so lucky. ;)

It sounds like you want at least in part to get your husband's reaction to specifics: these composites of people we knew, these loose reworkings of things we experienced, how do they strike you? How do you remember them? Perhaps you should put it to him in this light -- you're not looking for literary criticism but how what you've written jibes with his memories.

As for your nervousness about his reaction, that I can understand. I find it much easier to deal with the responses of professionals or strangers than with the responses of friends. If your husband is a nonreader, or a nonreader of your genre, or even just not the kind of Wise Reader who can spot/express/analyze his reactions to what he's read, you might be better off seeking counsel elsewhere.

Besides, he might shy away from the reading for fear of hurting you. Like: "I love her, but what if I don't love her book? What will I say? How will she react? Am I a huge jerk? Ack, I can't take the pressure!"

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that family, loved ones, and significant others do not make good beta readers. It is difficult for them to be objective, and it is far more difficult for a writer to get negative feedback from a spouse as opposed to getting it from a detached beta reader. Of course, it all depends on the dynamic you have with your husband, but my advice is to seek the opinion of a writing partner or a reader you are not emotionally involved with.

I agree with this.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am of the opinion that family, loved ones, and significant others do not make good beta readers.

I agree with this.

Yeah, and I fundamentally disagree. Aint it a big ol' goofy world?

I am in the "disagree" column.

It really depends on the person. If your loved ones, family member, etc. happens to be an unbiased, honest, astute reader who gives no-nonsense feedbacks, then he or she would be a GREAT beta. Stephen King's best beta is his wife.

The problem only arises if the beta only wants to be nice, or is overtly critical and abusive, or if the writer is too thick-skinned to accept any criticism from loved ones, as if the love doesn't exist anymore if the beta does not like the work. It because "I must suck because my husband's supposed to love me and everything I do" syndrome.

I think there's some of that (or many much of that) in CaroGirl's trepidation. Personally, and I don't mean to be mean, I think it's a bad combination for her to seek her husband's critique or approval or whatever. a) too much pressure on the spouse, b) too much pressure on herself with such high expectations, and c) too much emotions involved without pure objectivity.

I'm saying that because I've been there before. a, b, and c were all true in my scenarios. My beta felt pressured, I felt pressured, and we ended up not really liking each other a whole lot shortly after that. And the comments I got back were not very useful because of that tiptoeing involved.

That said, there's no reason why this can't work between lovers and spouses and family members. In fact, sometimes loved ones are the BEST betas because you know them well and you can trust them.

One of my betas is my ex. She gives me great criticism and feedbacks. I completely trust her to be honest and insightful without being an uber bitch. That's something you don't usually get from a complete stranger either.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
If I asked him to, I'm sure he'd read it. As I said, he is supportive. But I'm nervous just the same. Maybe he won't think I've improved. Or he'll just plain hate it. Or he'll say he'll read it and then won't. I don't know. I think it's easier to hand it off to relative strangers than it is to give it over to him.

You should be saying these things to him, not to us. Does he know that you're nervous about asking him to read your new work, and that you're afraid he'll think you haven't improved? If not, then why not?

jjacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmjacobs.com
How long have you been married? :)

Four years. Will I be as inclined to read her work twenty, thirty years from now? I hope so.

If I asked him to, I'm sure he'd read it. As I said, he is supportive. But I'm nervous just the same. Maybe he won't think I've improved. Or he'll just plain hate it. Or he'll say he'll read it and then won't.

I do understand your concern, but what makes you think he won't like it? And ultimately, if he doesn't think you've improved or if he doesn't like it, then isn't that valuable feedback for you?

I don't know. I think it's easier to hand it off to relative strangers than it is to give it over to him.

I agree it is easier, but I prefer to have both family and strangers read my work. The more diverse group of perspectives I can receive the better.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You should be saying these things to him, not to us. Does he know that you're nervous about asking him to read your new work, and that you're afraid he'll think you haven't improved? If not, then why not?
Of course I should. I'm not saying I'm NOT going to say this to him. I'm just saying to you lot FIRST, is all.

Actually, I think the advice to finish a draft first, before even my husband reads it, is solid.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Actually, I think the advice to finish a draft first, before even my husband reads it, is solid.

I usually don't show anything to anyone until at least the first draft is done. But sometimes I do show pieces for brainstorming purposes.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, is that sarcasm? Why? I've seen many posts where people simply write "This". No need to qualify.

No sarcasm intended.

I was just looking to affirm that it's a big world with as many opinions as there are people in it. At least.

Sorry if you took offense. If I was meaning sarcasm I would have said something along the lines of "Pfft, opinions are like assholes..." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.