Status
Not open for further replies.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
This is all crap. Worse than I expected, actually. It's not making any sense.

it's gibberish.

It's much like the campaign trail...

Did I just hear him say something about charging insurance companies if they charge too much for their plans? What???

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
so, if the plan does not cover illegal immigrants, does that mean they'll be turned away from the emergency room? and if they're not turned away, and they're not charged to be a part of the system, what's he saying?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Invoking Teddy now. Oh, boy.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like our health care system's going to end up like Teddy.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Is he actually saying, 'Hey, remember when people criticized social security? That turned out okay right?!'

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? He's saying we can overcome acrimony? He's CONTRIBUTING TO IT!!

ETA: Sorry for the shouting, y'all. I let my aggravation get the better of me.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If I wanted a bogus soothsayer, why would I bother to change to History Channel?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It's not gibberish. We're just so used to having Bush and his incoherence that we fail to recognize someone smart and well-spoken who actually has an original thought (sorry, but Bush was a TERRIBLE speaker.)

By streamlining Medicare and eliminating waste, he's going to save money.

That money will be used to pay for the NON-PROFIT public option, which will only be available to people who have no other options for healthcare coverage. It will also be used to help seniors cover prescription drugs.

If you already have coverage, you keep it, but it will be better. They won't be able to drop you if you get seriously ill, make you pay outrageous out of pocket costs or deny you for pre-existing conditions. There will be no lifetime limits on certain coverage. You will also be able to get more preventative care ane wellness will be covered (thank gods, I always thought it was stupid co's didn't cover that. That's a huge cost saver right there.)

If you're not covered, you will be able to get coverage cheaply by becoming part of essentially what sounds like a co-op - meaning you and everyone else not covered can buy coverage at a group rate, just as if you worked for a big company.

The "fee" he was talking about was for Cadillac coverage. Insurance co's will pay it, I think.

Yes, he did talk about tort reform.

At least this is how I understand what he said. It was clear as crystal to me.

Overall, it sounds like a decent plan. By saving money, he won't tax people or increase the deficeit. He wants insurance companies to compete for all these new customers.

The thing about Sebelus was about looking into the ways some smaller companies have been providing good, efficient care for low cost. It wasn't anything about the bill itself.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
so, if the plan does not cover illegal immigrants, does that mean they'll be turned away from the emergency room? and if they're not turned away, and they're not charged to be a part of the system, what's he saying?

why do you have me on ignore?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it seems I'm the only one mildly satisfied with his speech. So it goes...

ETA: Christine N. is on board.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it seems I'm the only one mildly satisfied with his speech. So it goes...

Nah, you aren't. :) I think Christine was good with it, too. And I'd love to hear why you are, because it mostly aggravated me and seemed...not right. I'll have to think about it some more so that I can put it together coherently what bothered me about the speech. But there was plenty that bothered me.

Status
Not open for further replies.