Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Posted elsewhere at AW:

Are first drafts supposed to be horrible?
They can be, and they often are, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're supposed to be horrible.

The most important part of a first draft, however, is finishing. Not producing prose-and-plot that's equal to other authors' revised-and-edited material.

In the days of pulps there were mighty authors who could write publishable first draft. In the days of pulps there were a ton of markets. How many of those mighty authors are remembered now? How many of the stories are still read? A handful, and we can name them all.

Unless you are a mighty author, do not be too uptight. Type, then revise when you have a finished piece. In this way lies serenity of spirit.

--------------

when should you give up on a WIP and start something new??
You should give up when you've reached "The End," revised it at least once, and it's been rejected by every appropriate publisher in Writer's Market.

You should start something new the day after you type "The End" on the first draft of the WIP under discussion.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How to write from the POV of a sex/gender/orientation not your own:

1) Look deep inside yourself. No one is 100% anything.

2) The differences within the sexes are greater than the differences between the sexes.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
You should give up when you've reached "The End," revised it at least once, and it's been rejected by every appropriate publisher in Writer's Market.

You should start something new the day after you type "The End" on the first draft of the WIP under discussion.

Even though I intellectually know this, it's always nice to have a reminder. Especially the last bit.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Unless you are a mighty author, do not be too uptight. Type, then revise when you have a finished piece. In this way lies serenity of spirit.

As a not-so-expressive thought, I find that the more first drafts I write, the better I get. The thoughts I have while fixing the previous draft somehow become a part of my thought process and I fix things before I make the same mistake.

The more we write, the better we become. Learning to edit is the key to learning to write.

That doesn't mean my first drafts are anything more than trash. I still have to unplug the smoke alarms before the stench of a new draft sets them off.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Let us talk briefly about Chekov's Gun.

"If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there." —Anton Chekhov

This is pretty good advice: If you mention something specific you ought to do something with it. Else the readers will be carrying it around in their mental backpacks wondering what it's for.

You put in specific details for one of three reasons: To give yourself the material you're going to use later (planting that rifle so the readers won't suspect that the writer pulled that rifle out of his ass later when the hero needs it); to provide characterization (the person who lives in this house is the sort of person who would have a rifle on his wall (perhaps a hunter, perhaps a survivalist); or to do world-building (this is the sort of society where firearms exist and where it is normal and natural for one to be owned and displayed). That is, advance the plot, provide characterization, or support the theme.

Canny readers, however, knowing about Chekov's Gun, won't be surprised when the rifle is fired. We want to surprise the readers while at the same time playing fair with them. But how?

When we mention that the rifle is on the wall, both the rifle and the wall are mentioned. Suppose that wall is actually a secret door? When a character comes in, pulls on the rifle, and the door opens, the reader will be surprised, yet won't feel cheated because we very clearly marked the spot earlier. The rifle's purpose is misdirection.

Or, we could use that rifle in a surprising way. As the villain approaches the hero takes the rifle from the wall and uses it to lever open a window and escape. Just because it's a rifle doesn't mean that we have to use it as designed. The reader will be surprised but won't feel cheated.

The rifle can also be used as a MacGuffin: an item that everyone wants/is looking for, but is unrelated to the actual plot (classic example from Sir Alfred Hitchcock, the man who popularized the word MacGuffin: the suitcase full of money in Psycho).

Then again, you can play your Chekov's Gun perfectly straight to great effect. In the Harry Potter series the walls are littered with figurative rifles, almost all of which go off (usually before the particular volume is done, but sometimes a volume or two (or six) later).

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score
Let us talk briefly about Chekov's Gun.

"If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there." —Anton Chekhov

Reminds me of 'Sean of the Dead'. There is definitely a Chekov's Gun in that movie.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah yes, the ironic use of Chekov's Gun. The audience, seeing a rifle hanging on the wall in the first act, knows instantly that it must be fired in the third act, but the characters do not.

We should find joy in our writing and put in such little jokes as please us.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Thanks Uncle Jim, ad FOTSGreg. Sometimes reading through the threads can get a bit discouraging with all the "don't dos" and "nevers" It is refreshing to hear such a positive story and words of advice on how to get recognized for doing something you enjoy.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Huh, what? Nekko, I'm just another student sitting at Uncle Jim's feet trying to learn something. Thank our resident Master, not me.

<whispering - We don't want Master MacDonald to take offense and boot Grasshopper Greg outta' here. I've still got too much to learn>

I'm still a bit green around the edges. Sorry if I overstepped! (misstepped?)

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
QUESTION: What exactly is a cliche and how can I recognize them when they pop up on my page?

According to my editor, almost everything I write is a cliche.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I'm trying to find a story by Ray Bradbury about a Christian mission on a distant planet. Anyone know what the story was called?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A cliche is a meme that hasn't yet risen to the level of archetype.

Common cliche types include characters with a single (and stereotypical) defining quality: the hard-drinking writer, the tough cop, the hooker with a heart of gold, the Islamic terrorist, the lazy Mexican, the clever Chinese.

Or if you're talking about cliched sentences, those are, for example, metaphors and similes that you hear over and over again: the kid's green as grass; it's raining cats and dogs; smoking like a furnace, drinking like a fish.

Recall the origin of the word cliche: It was, back in the days of cold type, a word, phrase, or even sentence that was cast as a single piece to save time in typesetting. So a cliche is a commonly used, overused, phrase.

Recall Orwell's rules for writing:

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
The commentary on this rule here says:
This sounds easy, but in practice is incredibly difficult. Phrases such as toe the line, ride roughshod over, stand shoulder to shoulder with, play into the hands of, an axe to grind, Achilles’ heel, swan song, and hotbed come to mind quickly and feel comforting and melodic.
For this exact reason they must be avoided. Common phrases have become so comfortable that they create no emotional response. Take the time to invent fresh, powerful images.
What to do?

Develop an eye for cliched phrases and mercilessly blue-pencil them. Make your characters multi-dimensional. Give them a mixture of traits both positive and negative. (Some people use Tarot cards to randomize character traits. Others pick Splendid Virtues and Deadly Sins, and assign a couple of each per character.) Closely observing real people helps a lot.

Straight-line plots can seem cliched: We've been on this ride before. So mix things up. Find unexpected but still logical twists for your story.

Relax. Write more. Don't reach for the easy solutions. The first idea that comes into your head may not be the best.

Beyond that, get a willing beta reader who can point out the cliches you can't see.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
cliches

Thanks for that extensive explanation, Jim. It was the cliched phrase I was referring to (eg bleeding profusely)

Your first sentence threw me a bit:

A cliche is a meme that hasn't yet risen to the level of archetype.

Are you saying that cliches can transcend their nature to become something better? Or something worse?

ie what's an archetype?

Last edited:

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
...ie what's an archetype?

Perhaps I'm being too flippant but:

archetype |ˈärk(i)ˌtīp|
noun
a very typical example of a certain person or thing: the book is a perfect archetype of the genre.
• an original that has been imitated: the archetype of faith is Abraham.
• a recurrent symbol or motif in literature, art, or mythology: mythological archetypes of good and evil.

I'm sure Uncle Jim has much a clearer picture than these definitions.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
When should you give up and start something new?

This is where I get hung up. I used to ask people, "How do you work on multiple things at one time? I'd never get anything done."

Well, I have since become one of those people, and as predicted, I've yet to finish anything. I currently have three pieces going - two novels and a novella - and only one of those am I even excited about. The others I've stuck in a "boring" folder.

Sadly, its the two novels that are in the boring folder. The first I see as inherently flawed - I was trying to make the conflict mostly internal and the external conflict that I was using is unrealistic. Add to those crimes that everything about it was entirely cliche, why should I push through another 60,000 words just to say I finished it, when I have (I hope) better, more exciting ideas?

The second novel is more just on the backburner. I was starting to hate my MC (comeon, she went to a coffee shop to do some work after work after her boyfriend made a point of texing her close to quitting time to remind her that she needed to be home) and I feel like I needed some distance before I could start to repair her, even though I still have 40,000 words before I can reasonably type "The end"

But on both of these, I feel like I need to be excited about my story before I can move on. If I'm not excited about it, it'll manifest itself in likely undesireable ways (oh look, my main character just died. How tragic and unexpected.) If I'm never excited about these unfinished works, is there any point in continuing vs. just learning from the failed attempts?

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Posted elsewhere at AW.

I'm going to natter about how anthologies are put together and how the author gets paid.

The first thing that happens is that the editor pitches an anthology to a publisher. The publisher accepts the proposal and advances money to the editor. The editor has a contract with the publisher; the eventual authors will have contracts with the editor.

The editor generally keeps half of the advance and uses the other half to buy stories. A standard professional rate is $0.05 cents/word.

So, the editor gets an $8,000 advance from the publisher. The editor keeps $4,000 and uses the other $4,000 to buy stories. Say the anthology is to be 80,000 words. The editor puts out a call for stories. They come flooding in. The editor selects the ones she wants, totaling 80,000 words, and sends rejection slips to the rest.

The authors who have been accepted sign contracts with the editor, for $0.05/word, plus a pro-rated share of the royalties (the details will be spelled out in the contract). Royalty periods, indemnity, reversion, and so on will be specified.

The finished, edited, anthology is turned in to the publisher, and in the fullness of time it's printed. Out it goes into the world. The publisher calculates royalties (standard is based on cover price) on every copy sold, but, until those royalties pay back the advance that was already paid, they don't cut any new checks. This isn't a big deal because the editor and the authors have already been paid.

Then the happy day arrives when the anthology earns out! The publisher cuts a check and sends it to the editor. The editor keeps half (and if the anthology was agented, the agent's 15% is paid out of the editor's half). The other half is divided among the authors according to one of two schemes (which will have been spelled out in frightening detail in the contract).

One way is this: For example, if there are ten stories in the anthology, each author gets 10% of the authors' share of the royalties. That is, for every dollar in royalties that comes in, the editor keeps $0.50 and each of those ten authors gets $0.05

The other way is this: each author is paid in proportion to the percentage of the final anthology that is that author's work. So if Author Ann had a 6,000 word story while Author Beth had a 3,000 word story, Ann would get 7.5% of the authors' share and Beth would get 3.75%. Of each dollar in royalties that comes from the publisher the editor would still keep $0.50; Ann would get $0.0375 and Beth would get $0.01875.

You'll notice that royalties are paid beginning with the first copy sold.

If the publisher doesn't pay an advance, then royalties are still paid beginning with the first copy, but there's no advance to pay back, so the publisher will cut a check at the end of each royalty period to send to the editor.

Some publishers pay royalties based on net. While most publishers are honest and above-board this is still an invitation to abuse and should be avoided.

Let's talk briefly about Net.

Net should be the amount that comes in the door. This will be what the publisher receives after the bookstores take their discount. Direct sales will be accounted separately.

Take a book that retails for $10.00. The bookstore gets it for $6.00 (40% discount). So for each book sold the publisher takes the $6.00 and pays the author's royalties out of that (at a 10% royalty rate, $0.60), and keeps the rest to pay for paper, printing, shipping, warehousing, marketing, publicity, the editors' salaries, art, the phone and electric bill, office rent, taxes, and everything else.

Those books which are sold directly by the publisher bring in the whole $10.00, so the publisher pays $1.00 to the author for each one sold. The publisher keeps the rest, as above.

Many publishers have found that the added cost of bookkeeping offsets any savings that come from payments on net, and so have gone to payment on cover price across the board. It's simpler.

Notice that "net" is "money coming in the door," not "what's left over after paying for paper, printing, shipping, warehousing, marketing, publicity, the editors' salaries, art, the phone and electric bill, office rent, taxes, and everything else." There are publishers that use the latter definition of "net." Their authors typically never earn a cent, because any percent of zero is still zero.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
... conflict that I was using is unrealistic. Add to those crimes that everything about it was entirely cliche, why should I push through another 60,000 words just to say I finished it, when I have (I hope) better, more exciting ideas?

Am I reading that correctly that you've only written 20,000 words on this piece? Have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand and see if that improves things.

I wonder if your outline is your enemy here.

The second novel is more just on the backburner. I was starting to hate my MC (comeon, she went to a coffee shop to do some work after work after her boyfriend made a point of texting her close to quitting time to remind her that she needed to be home) and I feel like I needed some distance before I could start to repair her, even though I still have 40,000 words before I can reasonably type "The end"
So you're only 40,000 words into this one? Your character is doing that pesky "coming alive" thing that authors are forever yammering about. She's looked at you and said, "I'm not stupid, I'm not crazy, and I'm not going." She's telling you that she doesn't like the outline.

She doesn't go right home. So ... what happens next? Is that why she's in the coffee shop when the robbery takes place? Is that why she isn't at home when the gas main explodes?

Tell me a story!

But on both of these, I feel like I need to be excited about my story before I can move on. If I'm not excited about it, it'll manifest itself in likely undesireable ways (oh look, my main character just died. How tragic and unexpected.) If I'm never excited about these unfinished works, is there any point in continuing vs. just learning from the failed attempts?

Your subconscious is trying to tell you that the person you think is the main character ... isn't. So, do something exciting. Shoot the main character in the head and continue in a new direction. When you get to The End, look back at the book and I bet you'll know who the main character really was.

JoBird

Banned
Reaction score
Great post. That was an amazing and informative breakdown. Thank you.

*EDIT: I had a stupid question. eqb answered it for me. Thanks.

Last edited: