James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I am very close to throwing The Bride Collector across the room.

As Twain put in Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses:

10. [The rules of fiction] require that the author shall make the reader feel a deep interest in the personages of his tale and in their fate; and that he shall make the reader love the good people in the tale and hate the bad ones. But the reader of the "Deerslayer" tale dislikes the good people in it, is indifferent to the others, and wishes they would all get drowned together.
Would that Dekker had followed Twain's advice.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
When I used to work in the bookstore, whenever I needed to be cheered up I'd go to the literature section and compare Mark Twain's shelf space to Jane Austen's. It made me smile to see Austen always had three to four times the shelf space that Twain did, despite the huge difference in their literary output.

Jane Austen was another author Twain savaged. Karma is a bitch.

Last edited:

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Heh, I love both Austen and Twain. Twain is on my shortlist of Sources of Everything Ever Said In English That's Worth Repeating. He's brilliant even when I don't agree with him (though I totally agree with him about Cooper -- I mean, damn, man).

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
It's done all the time, Euclid. One of the hazards of the course.

Quoted from a link in Jim's signature. Doctor Doyle's Editorial Service

"Note:
Like the old fortune-teller who takes a look at someone's palm, shakes her head, and hands back the money, I reserve the right to refund your payment in full if I decide that I can't help you."

Why is there always a picture of me after a statement like that? And the this means you caption is a little insulting.
With tongue still embedded in my cheek, I slip away.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How To Have A Writing Career Like Mine from John Scalzi. He points out that you can't. Nor can you have a writing career like any other author's. You have a career like yours, because time, place, personality, and preceding events shape every step of the path.

He points out:

If you feel you must look at other writers’ careers, a suggestion: Look at more than one, and see what they have in common. What did Neil do that Ursula also did that Robert did too that Cherie is now doing? Look at the things that consistently appear in the careers of multiple authors, and you’ll find the things that might be worth incorporating into your own. As a warning, they are likely to be boring things like “write regularly,” or “minimize distractions” or some such, which are the “eat less, exercise more” of the writing career world. But that’s life for you.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cliches, my dear friends, are fertile sources of inspiration. The line between cliche and archetype is very thin. Nothing is new, and the way cliches became cliches is by being tried-and-true. The oldest engines pull the heaviest freight.

How do you make something original out of a cliche?

Two ways: Stand the cliche on its head, or put two or three cliches in a blender, switch it to 'puree', and pour out a tasty new trope.

So, having said that, here is a handy list of Horror cliches: http://www.wmsimmons.com/horror.htm

Layer 'em thinly over your favorite plot, and there you are.

Laura_6

Love what you do. Love who you are.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lexacain.blogspot.com
My shortest-ever cover letter read:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Here is a story
I'm sending to you.

The story was picked up (by the first market I sent it to). You can read it yourself, for free, here.

Just read it, loved it, and wrote a review. I may have been partial to it due to the fact I'm a New Yorker (well, ex-New Yorker...but once one, always one). The combination of black humor with SF can't be beat. Thanks for the great read!