October book study poll - Fantasy

Which Fantasy book should we read and discuss for October?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three way tie!

As an amusing aside, I was waiting for the results page to finish loading fully. Only to realize that's the new look.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Witcher pulls ahead! :hooray:

I can't decide between that (only b/c I've already read it) and The Etched City.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...Not sure what to do. I'm interested in The Etched City, and The Time Traveller's Wife has been on my queue for a while. The Last Wish's Amazon.com write up left me with little idea of what the book is actually about, so I'm kind of "meh" about it. And I have no interest in Heroes Die. But at this point, is there any purpose to voting for The Etched City when it looks like it has all the chance of a snowball in Hell?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not the best, but in a pinch, this gives a better idea about the Witcher:

The famous Polish author comes stateside, May 26, 2008
By Jerry Marchand - See all my reviews
First off, the Product Description does this book a great disservice when it says:
"Geralt de Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.
And a cold-blooded killer."

Well...he's not a sorcerer...at least not in the sense they mean in the book. He's not an assassin - they actually go through great lengths in the book describing how witchers are not hired killers. And he is by no means a cold-blooded killer. I don't think it's too much a spoiler if I say I can count the number of things Geralt kills in the book on one hand. A witcher, as described in the book, is supposed to save lives rather than take them.

I don't know why the publishers chose this description, but I guess the description "A philosophically-minded warrior confronted with moral ambiguities" would not sell many copies.

Now the review:
This book chronicles the adventures of Geralt of Rivia in a series of loosely tied adventures. A convoluted way to describe his job would be to say he slay monsters, but a better way would be to say he helps people with monster troubles, resorting to violence as a last resort.

The book is written in short story form with a overarching mini-story which acts as a segway between each story.

The book itself, honestly, falls flat for about the first half of the book. I felt quite a bit was either lost in translation or the author was trying too hard to define his character.

The book becomes much, much better once Geralt's foil, named Dandilion, is introduced. I would also say that the very last of the six short stories, named "The Last Wish," is superb and more than enough to warrant a purchase of this book.

As for your vote, you may do with it what you please ;)

But yeah, The Witcher is landsliding away. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Witcher wins! I hope everyone can easily grab a copy of The Last Wish and can finish it by (approx) October 1st.

ELMontague

bumping this up so folks that want to participate in the Book Study know what to buy.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

I'm almost through it for the second time. It's so much easier to read when I don't have to go back and sort out what was when or why ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.