Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Jill of all trades,well,some trades pandora1983's Avatar
    Thx Maryn

some days I wouldnt mind switching lol
    “Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” – Freya Stark

The moving hand, having writ... AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

Todays not bat atall
    its like upper 70s here nice carlina blue sky

Check the clearance rack at Target for me...they always have something in there...
    “Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” – Freya Stark

Not so new, not so much a kid Grrarrgh's Avatar
    We got our name back - and it's all spelled correctly. Woo!!

Welcome, Pandora.

I haven't noticed many of the overly opinionated threads, either, but I've been making a concentrated to stay out of the actual writing threads for a little while. I found that they were making me too paranoid and every time I wrote any sentence at all, all I could hear was "INFODUMP!!! TELLING NOT SHOWING!!! DELETE! DELETE!!!!"" until I couldn't write anything at all.
    New blog! Review of mostly romance and erotica - http://www.smutmatters.com

I had to say something..now the sun is hiding and its lw 60s

Thx grrarrgh. Yes thats something i definately want to avoid.

Sooo...lets talk about something completely and utterly ridiculous..
    suggestions??

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah Komnena's Avatar
    Welcome, Pandora!!!
    Maybe we could talk about the price of eggs in China.
    Komnena
    new messterpiece 2503 words

The grad students did it NeuroFizz's Avatar
    Hey, HOLers. Towel boy reporting for duty. Snorkel found and functional, so with the upturn in weather, it's time for water sports. Hot tub cannonball...
    Phoenix (Historical - 2006)First Place, 2007 Arizona Authors Assoc. Book Awards Whiskey Creek Press
    Something Bad (Horror - 2007) Medallion Press. Silver Medal, 2008 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Rollicking Anthropomorphisms (Poetry Collection - 2008) 2009 EPPIE Award Finalist Whiskey Creek Press
    Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
    3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    *grabs bathing suit*

Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    *grabs bathing suit*
    Greenhorn!
    Phoenix (Historical - 2006)First Place, 2007 Arizona Authors Assoc. Book Awards Whiskey Creek Press
    Something Bad (Horror - 2007) Medallion Press. Silver Medal, 2008 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Rollicking Anthropomorphisms (Poetry Collection - 2008) 2009 EPPIE Award Finalist Whiskey Creek Press
    Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
    3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

Did I say *whose* bathing suit I was grabbing, Mr. Fizz? Noticed any drafts?

Service with a smile Mom'sWrite's Avatar
    I just spent the last 2 hours on the phone with the insurance company. Someone please kill me now. I humby request you drown me in the hot tub.

Who's the naked guy with the snorkel?

He's your new best friend.

I'm not spreading this around just everywhere, but for my friends here: Ben & Jerry's is having Free Cone day, limited flavor selection, donations to each store's charity accepted but not required. I had mine, tossed a few bucks toward the town's Little League. A good deal all round!

If I'd realized we'd be using the hot tub today, I'd have shaved my legs. Sigh...

Maryn, who really did have free ice cream
    Kindness. It doesn't cost a damned thing. If you're smart, you'll spread that stuff all over the place.

Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

We had one Ben & Jerry's here and it just didn't open one day. Closed at the normal time one night, and just stayed that way. I believe all of the furniture and everything else is still in the shop. It's very depressing, especially on Free Cone Day.

Is it summer yet??? BeatrixKiddo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales

Ditto. Got very warm here on Sunday and now they're predicting a bit of snow on Saturday. Sigh.

I love hardware stores even though I don't have a house to buy anything for. I just like wondering around Menards, or Home Depot sometimes. We have Lowes up here too but I keep forgetting to check them out.
    Do not look here...there is nothing to see.

For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.

Sassy & Mr. Groove sassandgroove's Avatar
    i tend to burn mine. I turn the skillet to high because I am inpatient and then forget and - blackened grilled cheese...
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrarrgh View Post
    For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.
    Lose the butter and add Worcestershire Sauce or, failing that, mustard.
    "Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."

Bacon.

'Tis the answer to all cooking-related issues, and a whole bunch of non-cookning ones as well.

We had a coupon for Tim Horton's (we're near Canada--are they everywhere in the US, or only Up North?) and Saturday I had a panini with cheese, bacon, and tomato. Kind of a heavy lunch for Miss Salad here, but it was real good. And amazingly enough, it held me until dinner, unlike a salad.

Writerly question: In something I shared with my RL critique group, I used the word asshat. Not one person in my group knew the term. In your experience, is this a word people know? Their suggestions for replacement led to an interesting dinner table discussions when The Kid was over, on the differences and nuances in the definitions of asshat, asshole, and asswipe. We all should have been linguists, huh?

Maryn, listening to it rain and imagining the grass seed sprouting

Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

The offspring didn't know the term, but once I said it, they knew exactly what I meant.

A quick survey yields a 3/3 positive response to the question "Have you ever heard the word "asshat"?"
    I was also offered "assclown" as a substitute should it be needed.

My seventeen yo nephew was familiar so it cant be that unfamiliar.

Morning folks!
    Hows the HoL today

It seems to me like people who know asshat are all fairly active online. My critique group gets online, but in a somewhat conservative, information-gathering and emailing way, rather that being a part of any online community. (They won't even check out AW, ferchristsake!) None of them has Facebook, is a member at IMDb, or ever simply plays or amuses themselves online.

Maryn, shaking her head

Maryn Says
    , an irregular blog
    The Occasional Tweet

Sassy & Mr. Groove sassandgroove's Avatar
    my husband uses asshat on a regular basis. And assclown. but he is active online at Fark - well he reads fark, I don't know if he posts much.

I like asshat. I get a mental image that is - well - amusing.

Sassy- not feeling so sassy today.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

Is it summer yet??? BeatrixKiddo's Avatar
    I like both words. They serve their purpose when you're looking for a word to describe a particular type of ass(bleep).

I also use the word "douchebag" but some folks don't care for it and think it's degrading to women. (namely, my mom) Personally, as a girl I find the word hilarious and it fits my needs just fine when the word "jerk" simply won't do.

Do not look here...there is nothing to see.

Page 211 of 456 FirstFirst ... 111136161186201205206207208209210211212213214215216217221236261286311 ... LastLast