Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Glad you're better, Pandora and Komnena's roommate as well.

And thanks, you guys - sorry I didn't return yesterday. I've been feeling like all I'll ever be able to do is grow more old and tired and more useless than I am now, if such a thing is possible. But I finally motivated myself to do some work tonight before goofing off. Trying is something to do in the meantime, I know, though it still feels hopeless and pointless.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, people. We survived New York, but I am exhausted and broke now. And mildly depressed over something else which isn't appropriate to discuss here. Meh, it's as much that I'm tired as anything else, I bet.

The difficult SIL wasn't as bad as she sometimes is, and we enjoyed ourselves.

Maryn, needing time alone

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Back atcha, BK. Sorry to bring my bitter old guy issues into HOL - I should save it for Purgatory. But I love you guys for being supportive.

Maryn, a hug for you too. Sorry you feel bad.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now it makes sense, my gloom-and-doom. I'm mildly sick. I was probably exposed to more people and their germ pools over the weekend than I have been in the last year, you know?

No wonder I fell asleep on the train even though I never sleep during the day. No wonder I'm still crabby-tired after eight hours of sleep, too.

I'll get over it, I'm sure, so just bear with me.

Maryn, not too sick to do laundry, thank goodness

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feel better soon hon. There is some cold strain going around right now that knocks folks out longer then the usual cold. (I got it myself a few weeks ago)

Get your rest, extra vitamin C, and more rest.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What happened? I was going toward this light...

I usually try to kick this thread to page one, but I think this morning I self-distracted. No doubt it won't be the last time.

I do feel better today, so it's nose to grindstone again. I finished a draft of something, did some laundry, spent a crazy amount of time cutting up root vegetables for roasting (so yummy!), and didn't let myself watch a single movie, which is my indulgence when I don't feel so hot.

What building is that in your avatar? It's awesome. I've been to Chicago, but I don't remember seeing it.

Maryn, who also doesn't remember last week

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that building, I took a photo of it when I was in highschool on an art club field trip to chicago to see Phantom of the Opera. I was also taking photography and so I was snapping "artsy" pictures on the trip.

So yeah, let's just say my whole right side is just on strike. Went to the orthopedist today because my right knee that I had surgery on is swollen and won't go down, for almost two weeks now. When I called to talk to the nurse to make an appointment she said he'd probably drain it (eww) but when I saw the doc today he said it wasn't bad enough for that and prescribe more physical therapy (sarcastic yay) but I guess I should be glad I have a cautious doc who wants to try things like that first but I was expecting to not be swollen by now. OH well.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing like waking up to the sound of a lot of glass breaking.

Mr. Maryn isn't especially clumsy or careless, but accidents happen. Yesterday when I started feeling better I hand-washed the crystal stemware that can't go in the dishwater and left it on a dish towel next to the sink. Mr. Maryn has elbows. You can fill in the rest.

As luck would have it, every piece he broke was from a thrift store, and the cup in the dishwasher which took a fatal hit was a cheapie, too. Total loss, maybe five bucks. But now we no longer have four matching stems for either white or red wines.

Mr. Maryn's infamous for not picking up what lands on the floor. (I've complained about it many times in here.) But he did a fairly decent job, leaving late for work even. I've only found one piece of glass on the floor and some teensy shards in the dishwasher.

I suppose I need to take the racks out of the dishwasher after I empty it and make sure I got all the glass. All of a sudden today seems like a good day to give the floor its overdue scrub-and-wax, too.

Maryn, perfect housekeeper (guffaw!)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What building is that in your avatar? It's awesome. I've been to Chicago, but I don't remember seeing it.
Maryn, who also doesn't remember last week

Ya know, I can't remember either. LOL. I think it's part of one of the museums, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one. Shoot, now I'm wondering which building it is. *note to self, look through pics again*

Hope everyone feels better. We are an ailment afflicted bunch in HOL. At least it's Friday. That counts for something, yes?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty good now, actually, so let's focus on Sassy's ailments. All together, now: "Poor, poor baby!"

Maryn, unable to do more

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My house. Snow shoveling party. Dress warm--and there's cocoa for when we finish!

You'll all come, right?

Maryn, who'll do it herself for the exercise

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my, where to start? I miss so much, from the serious to the silly, when I stay away from here too long.

Sassy, I hope you're feeling better soon—honest! But please allow me to introduce a little (very little) levity: I know how you feel; I once lost the use of my entire left side. I'm all right now. Badum bump.

Maryn, that’s a great avatar! Looks like the latest in convenient stackable chairs from IKEA—designed by Microsoft engineers.

Also, I relate all too well to Mr. Maryn’s crystal mishap. Pandora and I both lean toward klutziness—two Aries that move just a bit too fast for safety. When she returns and we set up housekeeping, we’ll be wise to consider carefully our stemware selection. I’m thinking paper or plastic from Goodwill.

Oh, and I’ll be right there, snow shovel over my shoulder…well, maybe.

UPDATE—News from Thailand: Now completely recovered from the evil scrub typhus, it looks like Pandora’s luck took a turn for the better. Friday, she entered a drawing at her go-to mall, Seacon Square in Bangkok, and won a brand new iPod Touch! That’s a win-win for both of us because I inherit her old iPod Nano.

Speaking of geeky, techy things, I finally made the change from Windows XP to Windows 7. It took hours and hours to complete the clean install, re-install my favorite apps and get everything set up and running the way I like it. There were no major glitches in the process except for Hewlett-Packard techs telling me there were no drivers available to make my old HP printer run on 7. “WTF?” I snarled. Being told I can’t do something never sits well with me, rebel that I am. It took me 30 minutes after that call to prove them wrong. Now, when I think HP, I think, “LIARS!” Do you suppose they were just trying to sell me a new printer‽* Na, I just can’t fathom a major corporation would stoop so low. Yeah, hear the snarkasm. (It’s my word and I’ll use it if I want…I’m in that kind of a mood.)

Anyway, my new operating system is screaming fast and runs as smooth as a polished snake—I love it—so I’m in geek heaven. And I'm sure it'll make my writing mo better. :rolleyes

*That cool little bit of punctuation (‽) is an “interrobang.” Quite handy for those times when a question just screams for added umph.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have Windows 7 on my laptop and XP Pro on this desktop. Frankly, I don't see much difference that impacts me. It's two different machines, of course, but I don't even see any difference in speed except in how freakin' slow Windows 7's boot-up is.

Pandora, you'll see this eventually, I'm sure, so congratulations on the contest win! And we're so glad you're back to good health. Do try not to touch anything or inhale.

Maryn, who needs to attend to dinner

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Russ, my printer drivers also stopped working when I updated my Mac to Snow Leopard. It functions, but the USB can't be left plugged in or my Mac won't boot. Weird. Anyway, glad you're doing better, Pandora.

Want a good laugh? Search #oscars on Twitter. I don't have to watch all that crap, I just get results, and apparently the unwashed masses are funnier than Billy Crystal.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Mario, Mac, huh? I'm jealous. I was a Mac maniac from when they first hit the market in '84 until I bought my first Windows PC in '07. Finances dictated that decision. I like my PC, but when I think Mac I start salivating. Ah, some day.

Maryn, I wonder why your laptop boots so slow. Since I switched from XP to 7, my system boots nearly three times faster. In fact, just about everything runs faster since I made the change.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn tips her hat.] Helly, missy!

Much drama elsewhere in the last few days. I'm gonna just chill in here.

Maryn, cranking out wordage in between

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: *waves to Sass*

Glad Pandora is better Russ. (I like Maryn's avie too.)

Almost through chapter 8. Wrote on Saturday.

We still have Windows XP on our computer at work and at home. I have Linux on the laptop my computer nerd friend gave me since he claims computer nerds hate Windows and use Linux. It's ok. Pretty simple to use. Lots of free programs to download. But the wi-fi button broke on it so I don't know if I'll be able to get that fixed for internet. Oh well, more time to write.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly, Beatrix. Every time my computer or internet connection refuses to do what it's supposed to, I tell myself that's more writing time, assuming Word still works. Which it always does.

Maryn, bidding us all a good morning

Status
Not open for further replies.