Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Lucky him. When I got my copies it only confirmed everything when all the pages fell out.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
CORRECTION: I goofed

It was pointed out to me that I posted PA's current address incorrectly as 4310 Metropolitan Court.

The correct address is 4510 Metropolitan Court, Suite A.

per Mapquest:

4510 Metropolitan Court
Frederick, MD 21704

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

(And I'll post this on the other threads.)

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my Authors copy in the mail today, this put a lot of worries I had to rest, and it helped ease my girlfriends worries of me being scammed

It never even occurred to me that the arrival of author copies should serve to ease my mind about my publisher's legitimacy - but then again, they'd be a pretty lousy scam to pay me the way they do, so I never had many doubts about it.

It sounds like your girlfriend might have something smart to say about this whole thing. You should listen to her.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Because this isn't the kind of thing you'd want to find out in advance:

I was looking at my contract the other day and, I was told that the contract is only for my book [title redacted]. Now, does that meant I cannot publish another book through a different publisher until my contract is up? Or can I take my next book and publish it through a different publisher while I am in contract with PA?

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32169

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Argh. That's a Publishing 101 question you can find out in any library. Such questions should be researched before you start subbing a MS.

Dear PA Lurkers, the best thing you can ever do for your writing career is to absolutely take your next book someplace else as soon as possible.

So long as it's not another danged print mill/scammer!

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
This one caught my eye:

I am considering getting an account with FedEx but haven't finished the research on it. PA charges shipping per book whereas (I believe) FedEx would charge us by just weight. Larger orders would be expensive using PA and should be cheaper if you did a pick-up on your own.
Also, PA is very helpful and I'm sure would work with you on any order amount.

Wanna lay a bet on that one? Fed Ex showing up a PA's door to pick up the book order and PA doesn't get to charge shipping? Gonna happen??? Watch out for low flying pigs.

Let's see, PA's response would be . . . "Because of copyright concerns, we cannot let FedEx handle the book order."

::eye roll::

PALurkers - shipping is a profit center for PA they are never, ever, ever going to change that.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Shipping books... Let's see, if I remember, before my book tour I was speaking at a writers conference in the town where my publishing company was located. My publisher's publicist showed up at the conference, put four boxes of books in my car (64 total), and told me to have a good time. The books were just in case the distributor's shipping was slow. It never was; books were always waiting at every stop. I got to keep the 64 extras, free.

So yes, I believe there are better ways to get books than the method offered by PublishAmerica.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This author signed a contract to have five books printed by PA and has found out about the ordering problems.

Hi. I have been having the same type of problems. I have five books out, but only one is listed at amazon.com. Many people are asking me when they can get them at the other places and the barnes and noble book stores, and are not always comfortable buying on line.

I really hope no one's going to recommend that she do the buy-and-resell routine.

I dont know what to tell these people, I also put in orders for books back on Feb. 4 and have yet to receive them and also have other folks, including librariana who haven't received their's either. I don't understand at all how this works to have the books go to other websites, and which one they actually end up at, and how long after official release date...or if they ever actually get to brick and mortar book stores and if we are responsible for that. There are many opportunities that come up, buy so many of your books and then we will send one here or send the same amount here or we will make sure it gets there, but I am not in the position to buy my own books right now and the ones I have bought I haven't received yet. It is hard to feel like you are dead in the water before you even begin. If you do get any anwsers, please let me know!! Good Luck!!!

It'll only get worse from here. :(

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, PA's response would be . . . "Because of copyright concerns, we cannot let FedEx handle the book order."
Conversely, PA might say, "As you can see from FedEx's rates, the actual shipping is the smallest part of our cost. You are welcome to pick up, but we will still have to charge you a per-book handling and packing fee". And that fee would equal [usual PA shipping charge - actual FedEx shipping], or maybe [usual PA shipping charge - actual FedEx shipping + extra PA annoyance factor fee].

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This author signed a contract to have five books printed by PA and has found out about the ordering problems.

I really hope no one's going to recommend that she do the buy-and-resell routine.

It'll only get worse from here. :(
Same canned answer: we're switching printers and once it's completed, all will be right with the world again.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I think it took Napoleon less time to invade Russia.
And look how well that went.

Back on topic, still haven't run across any B&T Textstream distributed books in the ordering system (not just PA's, none at all). I need to remember to take in the titles of a few PA or AuthorHouse books showing available on Amazon, and see how they come up.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Does this boggle anyone's else's mind?

But, but, but... PublishAmerica is going to give my book "the chance it deserves." If they believe in me, then I must be an Author. Oh, make that Published Author.

Yes, I know this is snarky. I'm in a mood today.