Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
The latest from 'outrage' before it gets cornfielded . . . (bolding mine)

Exactly. That's my point. PA should be doing marketing for our books to the booksellers and offering t h e m the 45% discounts so they can put our books on their shelves. I don't need my book on my own shelf. Like many of you, I can't afford to be my own customer.

A publisher offering discounts to bookstores? Heard of this I have . . .

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
So have I. She's actually a lovely woman, I invited her to come here. I hope she'll take up the offer.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
On the upside, it's good to see more people are getting frustrated (and asking questions and getting frustrated quicker) than they used to. Makes me wonder how well the next 'great deal' is going to go over.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
True, but people are losing faith that PA sends books to Oprah, the eBook thing seems to be dead on all counts which has also peeved people off, the Tom Hanks offer didn't go down any better it seems, and the Random House burst into flames. They could put the Pope or the Dalai Lama in the next offer, I don't think PA authors are going to be any more receptive. It really does seem like more people are clueing in, and they doing it faster.

Miranda, Larry, Will, I daresay you're losing your touch ;)

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Maybe the next PA "deal" will be to send books to Bill Gates so they can be incorporated in the next version of Windows? Or putting them into a time capsule so people a hundred years from now can read them? Or possibly shooting them into space on the off-chance that someone in another galaxy can read English? Or corking them in bottles and throwing them in the ocean so they can wash onto another continent?

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the next PA "deal" will be to send books to Bill Gates so they can be incorporated in the next version of Windows? Or putting them into a time capsule so people a hundred years from now can read them? Or possibly shooting them into space on the off-chance that someone in another galaxy can read English? Or corking them in bottles and throwing them in the ocean so they can wash onto another continent?

:roll:New keyboard please.

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
They probably would put that under their marketing plan, or expect the authors to do it, charge them for the bottles at $100 a pop. PVish ... you know, your ideas could make a whole thread in itself.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
"Is anyone listening?"

I sent Brandon in the book signings dept a list of area stores that might be open to holding a book signing for me. I had asked for assistance and in response to his request, sent this list in. I was told to be patient as everyone wants a signing and that it usually takes five to six weeks. That was Nov. 23, 2009. I have heard nothing. I've sent four or five emails that go unanswered. I tried to account for the holiday season and the massive blizzard that could have impeded progress.

Don't forget that PA also moved offices. And changed wholesalers. And this is royalty month. And... and... and...

But couldn't someone at least answer an email? I'm still trying to be patient, because I know that Brandon is probably over worked

That part, I completely agree with.

and is doing me a huge favor by assisting in this area.

Why a huge favor? Isn't Brandon paid? Is he contacting bookstores in his free time or his lunch hour?

But it benefits PA as well if I sell books.

No, PA is benefited when you buy books. What you do with them after that is irrelevant. You could turn them all to compost and PA wouldn't care.

Once you recognize PA's business model, the shoddy and dismissive treatment makes sense.

Please could someone help? I just need some kind of status update, please. Booksignings dept?? Brandon??? InfoCenter??? Is anyone listening???

This post made me think of what happened to me a few days ago. I'd received an electronic ARC to go over, so I got up at three a.m. to start reading (I'm a night owl). Half an hour later, I spotted a correction I wanted to make, and emailed my editor about it.

I got her reply at four a.m.

No writer should have to plead with someone, anyone, at their publisher to respond and help them.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score

Heh. Even the most ridiculous schemes an honest mind can come up with don't even come close to the depraved lunacy that spills out of PA in all sincerity every day.

I mean really, which is more stupid in the real world:

Put your book in a time capsule, so people in the future might read it!

or

Pay us, your publisher, a bunch of money for books and we'll submit a copy of your first-rights-burned, unedited, still-under-contract manuscript to another publisher! A better one! Tomorrow you could be out of the literary cesspit that is us!

The first suggestion, while certainly pointless, is kinda cute.

The second one is so crazy it might have given me cancer.

PVish, you're just not insane enough to pitch ideas to PA ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't cost them much to have a listing for online ordering the same as they do for used book dealers. The profit margin is tiny, though. The big catch is no one but the writer and his/her personal circle knows the book exists, so there's no danger of there being an accidental bestseller. Add in that the book is terribly overpriced and no one's going to want it.

I meant online. I knew that part already. ;)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They blamed the missing books from B&N on the change from Ingrams, but what about books missing from PA?

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=31902

Why is the picture of my book no longer posted under Historical Fiction, was on page 18 not there now, If it has been recategoried where will I find it. Three people have asked and I have no answer.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Send your book to Random House? What, because doing it yourself would be strange and pathetic, but having your craptastic pseudo-publisher do it is what, strange and pathetic but less embarrassing? Good thing PA isn't actually sending any of these special deals.

Oh, and folks? Anything that gets sent to a celebrity ends up in a sorting office in one of the large office buildings on Wilshire Boulevard between Beverly Hills and the Miracle Mile. NOTHING actually reaches the celebrity. Want to get a book to them? Get it on a bookstore shelf or get it to their agent. And no, the agent won't accept unsolicited material.

Next time, if you want your book to go to Random House, how about getting an agent?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Next time, if you want your book to go to Random House, how about getting an agent?

While we're on that thought, get an agent who doesn't require money from you. You saw how well that worked with your 'publisher', after all. And the only real agents are the ones you don't pay for.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It amazes me that anyone would believe that a publisher would offer a book to another publisher. Especially with all the noise they make about being a "small" publisher that's making the big boys nervous.

Put it through the filter... does not compute.

(And it's good to see, that from the response yesterday, most of the PAMB posters realized this.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief. Every time you think maybe people are cluing in...

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=31911

PA made an offer to me to send two of my books to Tom Hanks for review and if he likes it, who knows......Movie? Funny thing is, I found him on twitter, (he's really a great guy), but anyway, I left him a message and asked him to review my book. A couple of days later PA sent the email about it.......by chance....????

:Headbang: