merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Just watched your interview and you did just fine but when they asked was it hard getting published that was the time to plug Publish America.

Just what is this author supposed to be plugging PublishAmerica for? PA didn't write the book, arrange the interview, promote the book, market the book, price the book competitively, etc.

Even for myself if no one buys my book I will still have a great sense of honor just for having something I wrote actually being worthy of publication.

This is one of the ways PublishAmerica misleads their would-be authors. They believe that PA has read their manuscript and believes it to be worthy of publication. Unfortunately, PA will publish almost anything they receive, so there is no worth attached to the work. It is accepted and printed and then the offers to buy your own books come pouring in.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy...

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=31658

Hey all and Happy Friday,

Just curious to know if there are any backdoor expenses with this company that I should be prepared for.

Has anyone received a substantial royalty check?

Thanks!

And then there's this:

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?p=322783#322783

Um... I thought PA printed their own books. Maybe the printer isn't showing a profit?

Yesterday after getting a phone call from PA explaining that they were switching printing companies for the full color books due to issues with the printing co. They weren't sure when I would recieve my books because they were backed up. But low and behold I received a package. Not only did I get my first book, but they send both of our books I ordered.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Just curious to know if there are any backdoor expenses with this company that I should be prepared for.

Copyright, promotion, marketing, buying your own books, shipping.

Has anyone received a substantial royalty check?

No.
Yesterday after getting a phone call from PA explaining that they were switching printing companies for the full color books due to issues with the printing co.

Their poor little photocopier isn't a color copier. They're still contracting out the books with color pages. (Which is why full-color books aren't included in their special offers.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This makes a bit more sense. The author who said Wal-Mart wanted her book:

Hi! Actually I am a former Wal-Mart employee, so my local Wal-Mart wanted to carry me as well as a few others, so we are trying to get my book on their vendor list.

Same old story. Local author with a local manager who wants to help them - not exactly national distribution. Anyone want to lay odds on that book making the vendor list?

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
This one is sad, not only does the victim know nothing about publishing, he also knows nothing about radio:

Marketing with local radio stations
I have a small Olympus digital voice recorder that I used to create a CD with readings of six sample chapters of my book, [redacted].

I inluded the timings for each chapter, and when my book is released, I will send copies of the CD to local radio stations with a letter of introduction and a paperback copy of the book. The sound quality is good, and my own readings lend authenticity to the story. It's one of the ways I'll be promoting my writing.

Any comments?
Um, yeah. Have you ever listened to a radio station? When have you heard a radio station air a private individual's self-taped recording of his personal thoughts? Ever?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
When was the last time anyone heard a book read aloud on a radio station? I listen to talk radio almost all day, and I've never heard sample chapters read. Ever.

Um... I would imagine buying air time would cost a bit, and I should think that's what anyone would have to do in this situation. Isn't that, like, advertising??

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
That kind of thing on most radio stations is the audio equivalent of watching paint dry.

However, our local public radio station uses a subcarrier channel for just that sort of thing. It's operated by a non-profit and they use volunteer readers. It's not wide publicity, but it's a possible target. The author should send along a hard copy of the book because at least locally, they're required to have a copy of any book they read in their library.

(Hey, not just PA authors, but anyone, this might be a worthwhile place to donate a copy of your book. And if the organization is a real charity, then your contribution may be tax-deductible. IANAL, etc.)

But unless one of your local radio stations actually has a segment where people read from their books, then it's not a good idea. You're better off trying to get publicity through the news director.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Nah, apparently this guy believes what he says on several different alternative health sites.
The kindest comment I saw of his views was AVOID!

Physicist Wolfgang Pauli was once showed the work of another scientist. It was so bad Pauli sputtered "That's not even wrong!"

I had the same reaction to this PA book.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Grateful honeymooner

Today is Jan. 16th. My book - <title> - is to be released today. Is there anyway of finding out if it has been released? I have a list of pre-buyers waiting for this book so I would like to find out what the schedule is. I also have a rather expensive full page colour ad waiting to go out in <magazine>, but I am holding off until I find out when the book is indeed released.

My other question is: I have placed two orders for book shipments, the first one placed on Nov. 19th.

I have not heard when the books might arrive. My credit card says I have been charged for both. (2 orders of plus $200.00 each)

That was the part I expected. The following is the part I didn't.

And last, but not least I want to thank PublishAmerica for everything they have done for me.

I am on the way to paying you back with sales!

So the two orders of over two hundred dollars each weren't enough of a payment? :eek:

ETA : Post moved to private forums.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When was the last time anyone heard a book read aloud on a radio station? I listen to talk radio almost all day, and I've never heard sample chapters read. Ever.

Um... I would imagine buying air time would cost a bit, and I should think that's what anyone would have to do in this situation. Isn't that, like, advertising??
There is a network that still does radio entertainment, such as plays and book readings. It's a little outfit called the BBC.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
There is a network that still does radio entertainment, such as plays and book readings. It's a little outfit called the BBC.
Would the BBC be interested in airing the self-recorded musings of US writers victimized by PublishAmerica? Because PublishBritannica got shut down.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
There are numerous Internet radio stations that might do a book reading. There are some shows on NPR/APR that occasionally bring in authors and do chapter readings. Also, when I lived in Northern Michigan the local station did them occasionally. It's a cheap way for an arts oriented station to fill air time.

Other than Internet stations though, none of these would bother with PublishAmerica unless the book were something of local interest (the ex-mayor's memoirs, a local legend, etc.).

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
The BBC does air readings, but they're generally professionally produced for radio, and abridged into segments. Most I've heard run half an hour, but readings for children tend to be shorter. (I'm not in the UK, but I listen to the BBC online.)

Here's a good place to start: http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/network/public.shtml

While you're there, check out the writersroom site. If you've ever wanted to write for television or radio, this is an essential resource.