Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Huh. Looks like S&H went up.

Author asks:

Do you ever offer media/book rate postage to published authors vs. $4.99 per book? Also, the flat rate large USPS box can hold 10 soft cover books at $14.95. Why is this not offered to authors who want to purchase large quantities of their own published book. Sent this questions via email and never received a response thought I would try here. Thank you.

$4.99 per book. $4.99 per book!

PA answers:

Large quantity orders are always negotiable; next time just call in. We charge for shipping & processing, not just the shipping alone. And we always add that there are numerous other vendors out there who charge different, even lower, s&p rates.

If you can get anyone on the phone, that is...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
If you can get anyone on the phone, that is...

And it depends on what PA's definition of "large" is. Also, what's the point of telling authors that other vendors charge lower rates when the only vendor selling them their own books in bulk is PA?

The author who asked the original question should have an interesting experience negotiating with the only person in the head office who has the authority to lower fees...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
From the Facebook page:

I was just wondering how many of you are from Canada or other countries outside of the USA; and have had difficulty with orders, and/or author support due to that fact of not being American within USA border? Also, how many of you have had difficulty cashing the check sent to you since it didn't specify what funds it was written in

I looked at one of my royalty checks to see if it specifies funds, but I can't see anything in particular to say that the funds are US dollars except for the fact that the check is from the Bank of America. I had to open a US dollar account to deposit these checks in, but I've never had difficulty depositing them (never tried to cash them, though, so perhaps that's where the problem lies?).

and/or have not received any complimentary books? I believe PA is a wonderful publishing company, but sad to say perhaps lacking in the showing of same quality of support & services to those who are not American! Regardless, Happy New Year everyone!

The only reply to that so far is,

I'm from Florida and am having the same problems...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
An author started a thread on the PAMB about books she hadn't received.

These are orders I have paid for and not received as of yet:

ORDER # <1> One Copy Of: <title> - I am still owed this one book from this 5 book order. I received the other 4 books but have not received this book yet.

Order # <2> One Copy Of: <title>

Order # <3> Two Copies Of: <title>

Order # <4> One Copy Of: <title>

Order # <5> One Copy Of: <title>

ORDER # <6> ONE COPY OF: <title>

Order # <7> One Copy Of: <title>

Order # <8> One Copy Of <title>

That's nine books she's paid for but not received.

I do have all the receipts that I paid for all these orders. I just have not received them yet. I figure the holiday season must be keeping you really busy.
Unless she placed all eight orders just before the holiday season...

Hopefully you will make lots of money and in turn us authors will. It’s too late to use these for Christmas presents but there is always another and birthdays. And I do understand that your company does not make enough money to give their authors one free copy of their book anymore. One or two people explained that to me. I don't feel good about that, but that's the way it is.
I hope you understand what I did to help you understand what I have received and what I have not.
The author just seems so... resigned to the treatment she gets, and yet so polite and accomodating. It's depressing to read.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Since it's likely she paid with a credit card, she should contact the card company to make it clear that she wants her money back.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
On the PA FB:
Dear PA, I have placed an order to have my children's book, "<book>," released in hardcover. You mention that all hardcovers will be available to all wll known U.S bookstores. Does this mean they will be available on the shelves of well bookstores? Thank you. I am very excited about receiving my complimentary copies! :)

No answer from PA.

Dear Author: Bookstores won't shelve your book. PA doesn't sell to bookstores, they sell to you. I am sorry. :(

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
PA wrote:

What your bank told you is simply false. Your bank is fully capable of cashing our check. If Canadian banks could not cash American checks, there would be no Canada. Canadian institutions often expect American institutions to jump through hoops for them. We will not issue anything different that what every other country in the world can cash.

PA has long had a policy of paying non-US authors with local US checks, even though those checks cannot easily be cashed, or cashing them would cost more in bank fees than the face value of the check.

PA seems to hope that the authors won't cash their checks. Every check that remains uncashed is money that stays in PA's hands.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason a publisher or anyone paying you for goods or services should make you jump through those kinds of hoops to get your money.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
On its FB page, PA posts this quote:
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better person." Benjamin Franklin
. . . and an author, who used to be such a staunch supporter, responds:
Let this year find you a better business and give your authors special deals with no limitations as to the aount of books you have to uy. A good sale and buy 1 book if you want or 2 or 3 not have to buy 10 or 15. I also thought when an authors book sold both the author and P.A. make money. So why charge so much for all the things you offer. Just trying to understand. I have 6 books with 11 stories with P.A. and am proud of each and every book.

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
If Canadian banks could not cash American checks, there would be no Canada. Canadian institutions often expect American institutions to jump through hoops for them.
Number one, My bank does cash American checks and always has. Number two, could it be that the banking institution has been stung by PA NSF's so many times that they have flagged the business?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
You know, when you publish through a reputable commercial press--including very small presses--bookstores are eager for you to do signings. EAGER.

All it takes is having returnable books that can be ordered through a decent wholesaler or distributor. OH WHOOPS PUBLISHAMERICA DOESN'T HAVE THAT.
Yes. My book was pubbed by a very small press but the publisher sent twenty books to the bookstores every time I had a signing. I didn't pay a thing. And the booksellers were eager to have me, as it brought in foot traffic.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
This is sad. From the Facebook page:

I stupidly left PA 3 years ago and was chewed up and spit out by most publishers. People who hate don't get very far. I am back and have submitted 2 manuscripts to them. Here is hoping I have chance to be back and better than ever!

Exaggeration, check. Rhetoric, check. Royalties? No check.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
This is the other drawback to Publish America. Here's an author who may or may not be "almost" publishable. However, because PA will print almost anything, the author doesn't feel the need to reexamine their work and wonder why it's getting rejected.

Instead, since "they're already a published author", they'd rather go back to PA because it's safe.

So, not only does PA basically take money from people and deliver vaporware to them, they also destroy dreams and cloud peoples ability to honestly reflect on their development as a writer.

They are beyond despicable.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
So, not only does PA basically take money from people and deliver vaporware to them, they also destroy dreams and cloud peoples ability to honestly reflect on their development as a writer.

They are beyond despicable.

QFT.

This could have been me. When I finally realized I was not doing my self any good at PA, I looked elsewhere. I was back to the rejection shoebox with a pile of rejection letters, some with some really good information on how to improve my chances. I could easily thrown my hands up and taken the book back to PA and gone on. They had the first two.

The above reason is why I am here, in a nutshell. I am here to support, promote, and inspire PA authors to better worlds where their books get read and to help them grow along with me.

I am not a great writer like others on here. I aspire to better writing and try to make the next sentence better than the last. There are others who can help the authors grow. I offer the companion that runs along side, huffing and puffing with them. I can relate to another rejection letter and am thrilled with each acceptance.

Allen, the sexy, fat, balding example everyone can aspire to surmount.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I would have hoped that the authors would go with Lulu or Smashwords, rather than going back to PA.

Same level of editing, same amount of promotion, far better distribution and far lower cost, much higher royalties, and none of the PA stigma.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I would have hoped that the authors would go with Lulu or Smashwords, rather than going back to PA.

Oh, I've got a tale of woe on that subject.

There's an author whose book was released by PA in a deplorable condition. We're talking "Eye of Argon" here. I requested it for a review and posted here asking how to write the review, because I really didn't want to hurt the writer's feelings. He came across as a sincere and gracious person.

Today I got a letter from him, enclosing an SASE and asking if I'd review his next book. The blurb referred to the "protagonist" (no name given) and didn't mention genre. I checked who the publisher was.

Strategic.

I won't be reviewing the book, but I really wish I could help this author somehow.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting anecdote for those who wonder if threads like these ever stop someone from using a service like PA.

I was at Wal-Mart and passed a group of 3 people who were likely in their early 20's. I didn't hear the question asked, but as I passed by, I heard the young man in the group say (very loud). "Oh no, not PA - They're the worst you could ever go with." He then went on to discuss other publishing options.

It was very difficult not to butt into that conversation...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
New thread, old problem

Just have a question that I hope someone can answer. I had ordered a box of books online back in October and never received them. I waited until after Christmas and still nothing so I phoned PA and they wouldn't help me on the phone, said I had to fill out a form online. So I did that and never got a reply.

Has this happen to anyone else? And what did you do? Do I try phoning them back?

I never received a tracking order as I have in the past so I have no idea if they were even mailed. I did get confirmation of the order and my credit card was charged and then nothing after that. Can anyone offer any advice?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest the author initiate a charge back. They should either get their books or their money back at that point.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Not all comments on FB should be taken at face value...if I seem elusive I have my reasons but no it is not happening. Promise! Been there, done that. I actually was just offered a four book deal with a legitimate small press.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Strategic.

Some people make a career out of being scammed.

That's the origin of the word "mark," by the way. Back in carny days, when a grifter cheated someone, he'd put a chalk mark on the person's clothing, so other grifters would know that this person was easily cheated -- not too bright, too trusting, under the influence -- so they could close in and get the rest of his money.

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Interesting anecdote for those who wonder if threads like these ever stop someone from using a service like PA.

I was at Wal-Mart and passed a group of 3 people who were likely in their early 20's. I didn't hear the question asked, but as I passed by, I heard the young man in the group say (very loud). "Oh no, not PA - They're the worst you could ever go with." He then went on to discuss other publishing options.

It was very difficult not to butt into that conversation...

You should have! That person was probably an AWer.