Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
There are laws covering contests. I say report PA to the agency/ies covering contests. PA will only be in trouble if their contest isn't in compliance with applicable laws.
Lots of luck, PA, since you'll have to comply with federal and state contest laws especially since there's a fee involved. By the way, there are 50 states. I guess Vic better start researching those laws before your contest runs afoul of them.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Have you all seen the latest line of bull from PA? Now, you can be nomitated for author of the year, but only if you spend 14 dollars to be on the list of potential winners. So, if 72 suckers pay, the $1000 they are "giving away" will be paid for. What a racket! I am way past the point of wishing I had never gone with PA.
Someone who does the math! I'm in love...

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
By the way, Publish America, did you file with the state of Rhode Island? Here's a quote from their rules:
"Any person, firm, or corporation proposing to engage in any game, contest, or other promotion or advertising scheme or plan in which a retail establishment offers the opportunity to receive gifts, prizes, or gratuities, as determined by chance, in order to promote its retail business, where the total announced value of the prizes offered to the general public is in excess of five hundred dollars ($500), must file a statement with the secretary of state."

The other 49 U.S. states don't require special filing procedures, but they may have particular rules about what sort of contests are legal.

Oops, I guess Vic might not have covered all your bases or do you just use him to threaten authors with?

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, there are 50 states. I guess Vic better start researching those laws before your contest runs afoul of them.

Don't forget Canada, the UK and all those primed contestants in India and China.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . as determined by chance. . .
Hmmm. Is it "determined by chance" if based on votes received? (Leaving aside for the moment the bogosity of the "voting.") I suspect that this is (and again, for the sake of discussion leaving aside the tawdriness of it) not the sort of thing intended by that statute or others like it. It is not like those games that fast-food companies occasionally offer, or the like.

The National Book Awards and a host of other book award competitions (including many with an entry fee) are not open to the general public just by filling out a form. (No, not comparing anything from PA to the National Book Awards, or even those endless Jenkins Group promotions.)

--Ken

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
The more I see these PA offers, the more I believe they're using the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes promotions, as their business model.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A writer who hadn't yet signed with PA posted this:

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of publishing with PA? I'm considering accepting their contract. Can anyone help?... I hear horrible things about them online.

:Wha:

How horrible do the things have to get before this author would consider not accepting a contract?

The first reply was,

They are somewhere between a traditional publisher and a POD publisher. They will publish your book for free as well as editing... however any promotional services are paid for on an individual basis :) whereas with a POD service you have to pay for EVERYTHING

The OP then asked,

Do you know the price points for promotonal services? Of course, none of that is on their website.

Fortunately someone then responded in no uncertain terms.

Listen to what you hear and RUN AWAY. This is not a real publishing company. It's a back door vanity press that will sell you your own book, and then try and convince you to buy packages (all with shipping included) even though the services they claim to do are free activities - like uploading to B&N or Amazon. They'll also delete and block me here in a minute, so I hope you read fast. They'll likely do the same to you, as you've dared ask a reasonable question.

The author who replied first said,

Its good if you want just a copy of your book and the availability to promote yourself online....however that is all I will say...

And you can get that from self-publishing far more cheaply and without giving your rights away for seven years.

Finally, the original poster said,

Thank you for being honest! I will go elsewhere.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
All the responses to the writer who hadn't yet signed with PA (and whom QoS quoted) have been deleted, but the original question remains. Another author answered:
It is VERY difficult (read almost impossible) to get book signings in your local stores without having to ask/pay publishamerica to intercede on your behalf. In an ideal world I should just be able to walk into my local store and ask for a book signing-> Different publishers have different takes on how their books can be ordered and how they can be returned from book signings. Again.... This is all I will say, I don't feel comfortable telling you specifically which route to take as it like shoes- some of them fit well and some of them are not a good fit for other people :/

Last edited:

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
It is VERY difficult (read almost impossible) to get book signings in your local stores without having to ask/pay publishamerica to intercede on your behalf.

Exactly what does PA do to intercede? I've never had a problem lining up book signings with small bookshops in my area. Some have even asked if I'd be interested in one. I find that an interesting train of thought.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
A PA author on FB asks:
Is it possible to have the tracking numbers sent to the individual via e-mail for book orders so we can track the shipment? At least if we know the books we ordered are on the way, we would not have to call or e-mail so often to find out the status.

It would also be nice to receive an e-mail if there is a problem with production or book orders will be delayed. Keeping the customer informed helps eliminate frustration. Thanks!
A disgruntled PA author replies:

It would also be nice to not have to pay $3.99 shipping per book. $80 on shipping for 20 books, on top of over priced books to start with, makes me unable to buy my own book. My newest book was published through Tate Publishing, and they don't charge shipping at all to their authors, and they have my book in book stores.
Info monster's reply is:

Oh, come on [Name]. You paid Tate big bucks to have your book published there. It's a vanity outfit, and you lost a lot of money there.
There's something ironic about PA calling Tate out for being a vanity publisher.

Yo, PA... how much money have authors lost to you? Lots. You're no better than Tate.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if he's actually seen it in bookstores, or if it's just that he hopes that someday it might be?

He's probably had family members or friends order it through a bookstore.

You know, when you publish through a reputable commercial press--including very small presses--bookstores are eager for you to do signings. EAGER.

All it takes is having returnable books that can be ordered through a decent wholesaler or distributor. OH WHOOPS PUBLISHAMERICA DOESN'T HAVE THAT.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
More from the Tate vs PA thread on PA's FB:

A new person to the thread says:

Tate may be a self publishing outfit however with cheaper priced books AND exposure in bookstores on the shelves [Name] probably has a good chance at recouping his losses.

If the order is done all at once would it possibly be cheaper to count the shipping per BOX instead of per book?
Yes, but then PA would make less money from their authors...

Info Monster replies:

Oh really? Ask [Name] how much he is out of pocket already. And how that "exposure in bookstores on the shelves" is coming. It's just not happening.
The Tate_Author says:

Wow, PA is getting a little sassy. I made a valid point on being grossly overcharged for shipping. If I buy 1 book online I expect to pay $3.99. If I buy 20 I expect to pay $10-15 max, not $80. Say what you want about Tate, but you are not addressing my concern. My 101 page PA book sells for $16.50 and my 108 page Tate book sells for $10.99. I have been with PA for 2 years and Tate for 5 months, and I have sold more through Tate than with PA.
Then Tate_Author says:

Yes, I paid Tate $4,000. That money covers the publicity that PA doesn't provide. Other authors pay that money to publicists and reps that I get covered in that cost, so it is worth it. Tate is not a vanity outfit; they only publish 4% of the manuscripts they are pitched. Also, they have copy editors and conceptual editors which made my book better; PA published my book with 5 typos in it, even after I pointed them out during the editing phase. After the book came out I had to pay PA $90 to have the errors they left in corrected.
While I feel bad that this author got trapped by *another* vanity outfit (at the tune of $4K)... there's the $90 buck typo correction fee of PA's.

Both Tate and PA are BAD NEWS.

Tate_Author then says:

When I have contacted bookstores to carry my PA book they have all refused saying that PA is a POD outfit and they don't deal with PA reps. Tate's reps do that for me and have the book every place I have mentioned to them.
Infomonster replies:

[Name]: hahahahahaha!! $4000?? As in: f o u r t h o u s a n d dollars? And you're surprised that they publish only 4% of their submissions? That's because the other 96% ran away! They got you, buddy!
Hey Lurkers: Authors should run away from both companies. Seriously.

Back to Tate_Author:

No, PA got me. The only money I made from PA in 2 years was my $1 royalty check. I'm very happy with Tate. I have an E-Book and audio book with them too. They created those for free, not with with annoying emails every 10 minutes like PA does. I paid Tate a one time fee that I will recoup 100% of once I sell 4000 copies. PA, on the other hand, asks me to activate some garbage every day. Today's email was to pay $149 to end my contract. Tomorrow will be $149 to pitch my book to Oprah. Next week it will be $149 to pitch my book To Spielberg. Which one do you think I prefer?
On the one hand, the author does expose all the fees you pay to PA to get, well, nothing. On the other hand, does he realize he'd have to take PA up on 27 of those $149 offers before spent the amount Tate charged him?

Tate_Author's parting shot (for now):
By the way, your arrogance and condescension, coupled with the fact that you still haven't addressed my point about high shipping and overpriced books, nor have you addressed Patti's original concern, is typical of the trashy customer service I get with PA. Tate's people are friendly, they answer when I call, and they assist me. PA never answers, and I get a call back 5 business later from a rude lady who tells me she can't assist me. Again, which do you think I prefer?
This is actually very sad. PA is so abusive and horrible to its authors that they are willing to shell out $4K to be treated better.

When Tate comes up smelling nice, you know PA really really stinks.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Next thing you know, PA will try to compete with Tate but I don't think they know how to be nice, let alone know how to be helpful. I think Tate would demolish them in the niceness and being helpful departments.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
From the Facebook page:

Tell me why would a person pay Publish America $149. to get the rights to their book released when you made less than $20.00 on a book that was unedited, unsaleable, and only your friends and relatives bought it because they were your friends and relatives. So when the time comes you will have to release the rights per contract. Merry Christmas. I will never pay you for that.
That one got deleted; the others are still there.

Due to poor health and cash flow constraints I am not able to fully participate in the numerous marketing efforts for my book - <title>. Could you all my friends help to push it on the market please? I am doing my bit trying to contact as many email addresses as possible, from my bed.
I hope this author will have recovered at least a little before the royalty check arrives.

Gidday PublishAmerica, I just entered my children's book to be presented to your contacts from the Guadalajara International Book Fair! I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited:

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
Gidday PublishAmerica, I just entered my children's book to be presented to your contacts from the Guadalajara International Book Fair! I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the opportunity!
And those fingers will be crossed, along with her arms and toes for a very long time. Thanks for the opportunity for paying for a non-existent service.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Do the organisers of the Guadalajara International Book Fair know they have contacts in PublishAmerica?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One PA author has got a bit ticked off, posting:
I have a website purposely for my book. I recently found out through many friends that they cannot purchase my book because the link that Publish America had my book on is not valid. Okay, so how many books was I not able to sell because of this?

I had to personally type in Barnes and Noble website with my book for anyone who wants to purchase it. I also found out that nowhere on Publish America can I find my book. It's been out since 2005.
followed by
Now I just found out that 'for the second time' PA has listed the WRONG ISBN# for my book!!

Who do I notify for this? How and why does this happen? Anyone??

No doubt the InfoMonster will stroll along in the next day or so and tell the author that it's all his fault, and that PA hasn't been notified of the problem, and that he probably deserves it anyhow for being rude and ungrateful.

As an example of how PA authors should behave, the next thread has authors raving about PA's great service. An author asks how long it takes for PA to ship orders of books. A second author answers, saying that it varies from 1 week to 9 weeks. And a third author says:
Thank you for your post. It made me realize that even though I placed my order 8 weeks ago, I shouldn't give up hope! I still might get them in time for Christmas!

Can you imagine ordering books from Amazon and then sitting back after 8 weeks and just "hoping" they'd show up for Christmas?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Here yesterday and gone today

Someone previously suggested this author take her concerns to Author Support, so she replied,

that's the first place I went and never received any answer
icon_mad.gif

The first time about a year ago, I went you my website and don't ask my why, but I clicked on 'Click here to purchase' and it took me to another PA author's book. The title didn't even come close.

I proceeded to correct it myself and for a week it seemed fine.

Now, I go to click on it an 'error' page comes up.

As a last resort, as I write this, I was forced to find my book on Barnes and Noble and used that page for people to purchase.

I wonder how many sales I lost due to this.

I can only advise PA authors to CHECK their access for their books regularly.

(I have 2 more books completed and have not submitted them to PA) have not had much luck sad to say. People & relatives have talked to me over the telephone and shared with me their favorite parts of the book, YET, I received in the mail 'ZERO' money. Makes no sense. My son practices law and he's looking into it for me.

Something's just not right.

Once again, thank you, God bless you and Merry Christmas!!!

The thread isn't on the PAMB any longer, so hopefully that's also a sign to the author (who seems to have been with PA since 2005 - at least her contract will expire soon).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So, there's a winner on the FB page: (name changed to "Lucky Winner" to preserve author's identity.)

We have a winner. The $200 cash for our Christmas wishes contest is [Lucky Winner]who received 28 unique likes for her post. Merry Christmas, [Lucky], and congrats! Check will go in the mail next week.

Make that a winner with a question:

Lucky Winner said:
I am so excited to hear that I won, but how is the check going in the mail next week if you don't have my email or address?