Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Someone else on the Facebook page mentioned a cost associated with editing:

there's a fee i was told it would cost about $200.00 to fix up to 5 pages.

there are mistakes that I missed in both of my books:( it will cost me $199.00 if I want them fixed. Someone once told me that PA occasionally offer authors a chance to fix their mistakes for free or at a discount, but I don't know if it is true.

just curious...what do the PA editors do??? I heard that they do have editors, and my books are very short stories, yet there is a typo of a misspelled word and in one place the same word twice in a row, as well as quotations on one side of the sentence and not the other, I clearly missed these typos, but if they do light editing...these small mistakes were left for me to fix at $200:( I love my books but the typos are irritating, I wish they would just hire some editors for what they make on all these offers that are $99.00 and up, an editor would make their books look more professional and make their company look better. Just a thought. I am not bashing PA, I just know that I as well as most new authors can't afford to hire an editor or have their missed mistakes fixed at that price:(

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Hey PA - just signed up for the 1000 bookstores in Europe deal. It's 3:54 where I live, I hope it wasn't too late to participate in the offer. Thanks!

This was posted on PA's FB page I've never heard of this "special offer." Just how would a PA author go about making sure PA really placed their book in 1000 bokstores? Or is this another, "We'll make your book available to 1000 bookstores" kind of deal?

Oh, and I'm guessing PA deletes any negative comments about royalties that are posted on the FB page, so going back to February posts probably won't reveal anything.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Merrihait, I think this is the " thousand points of sales in Europe" the writer is referring to. In other words, for $29 supposedly sends a mass email through Europe mentioning your book. For an extra $10 the send it sooner, extra for more then one title. If they send the spam email at all, I'm sure it will be only 1 and will contain all titles of those writers who bought the deal. If only 10 writers go for this, that's easily $300 for less then 15 minutes typing, shipping free:)

Thousand Stores
by: PublishAmerica

Price: $29.00

Product Details

ISBN: ThousandStores

# Pages:
Dimensions:
Format:
Latest News: Less than 30 pct of all books are bought in real bookstores.
Product Description
Your book will become immediately available to a thousand points of sale in Europe for immediate printing and immediate distribution as soon as the program kicks in within the next few weeks. Expect positive news about this by early next week.
Go to www.publishamerica.net/ThousandStoresRush.html to be among the very first that we'll submit to the 1,000 bookstores in Europe.
If you have more than one book with PublishAmerica, go to www.publishamerica.net/ThousandStoresMulti.html for a substantial discount.
Must choose a shipping option to activate. Mention your book title(s) in the Ordering Instructions Box. No use of coupons allowed.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
From the Facebook page:
Im a member of this family, yet I feel like the black sleep, they never published my last book, after sending the forms to release Its never been released, I went through a lot to get it ready, they just IG me. This would of been my 3rd. without back uphelp to get me reconized
Another author offers an explanation:
Sometimes, that's bound to happen. Sometimes, you just have to resubmit it, in order for them to take notice in it. Sometimes, they do get swamped with e-mails and such of submissions from other writers. I know from experience (from another publishing company).
. . .and another chimes in with her own problems:
Don't feel bad. I'm still waiting to see my proofs on my book and I paid the $199.00 to speed it up. I understand that they have been very busy though. I don't get any author e-mails at all so I don't know what promotions they have either. I'm really left out of the loop.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, PA continues to con authors into believing that their books and subsidiary rights are being promoted, marketed, and sold:
I am super excited about PAs offer to consider making books into screenplays. How can I communicate to PA that my story has a specific characteristic that might outweigh others?

PAllywood is not going to make a movie out of the books. PA isn't going to produce a proper screenplay, let alone get it in front of movie producers. It's despicable that PA continues to gouge money out of authors and give them less than nothing in return.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
On FB, authors continue to question, nicely of course, with thanks to PA. One says:
When is returnability status going to come back? Is Barnes and nobles able to order my books now? Sorry, if I seem impatient just have 4 upcomingbook signings that's all, in the newspaper, and everything seem to be on top of me now! Super busy these days! Thanks Publishamerica for keeping me on my toes and really busy!!
and earlier she posted
3 things I'd liketo order soon:1)returnability status on my book please say you have this pretty please. We are partnering up with Barnes and nobles and this is a requirement. 2) I need it into e-book format soon..very soon! Doing a book signing on the 27th of August. and thirdly)need a large discount of my book [title redacted] and fourth, not an order of something but a request to have my book in the system so that Barnes and noble can order it for the book signing I am doing on September 17 th and September 24th! Please publishamerica, help me out here and you will make a lot of money! Promised!!

And another pays PA a compliment (sort of):
I like your Pulbisher's photo wall. It would be nice if you keep it up.

*sigh*

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
PVish caught the post before I did, but I was going to post it here, too. Just how much pleading do PA authors have to do for their "publisher" to do what any real publisher would have already done? I'm sure this author is well aware that the tenth anniversary of 9/11 is approaching quickly and her book is related to events that happened on that day. She is expecting her "publisher" to help her sell books during this time when the focus will be on her topic. A normal assumption, except when we're talking about PublishAmerica. Oh, dear author, PA doesn't care if you sell even one book to a reader, they are counting on the fact that YOU will buy copies of your book. That is their business model.

So incredibly frustrating for PA authors to try again and again to sell books when their "publisher" is preventing them from making sales at every turn.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I have posted previously the situation I am in but I also would like to get my book back in amazon and even walmart, but I don't understand there isn't much of an explaination. If I pay my $79 dollars or whatever it costs how long does this give me of them carrying my book? Is it something yearly?

Honestly sorry but I think it is quite ridiculous to charge your authors to list their books.

Yes, it IS ridiculous and even more so is this offer and ALL PA offers. These poor writers are continually under the impression that actual books will end up in Walmart, Europe etc when all PA promises for the money is "will bring your book to their attention". It's called spam, and will likely end up in a business's junk mail folder, unread.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
WOW, PA's Facebook page is going nuts with "positive" feedback about being published with PA! It's as if PA sent a mass email out to all the writers to ask them to post great things about their publisher....very weird to see post after post saying the same thing, something must be going on.
I realize the PA Facebook page is not PAMB but I think it has replaced it. pAMB is basically silent, I think the writers have shifted to FB.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
WOW, PA's Facebook page is going nuts with "positive" feedback about being published with PA! It's as if PA sent a mass email out to all the writers to ask them to post great things about their publisher....

Reminds me of love-bombing. One of the posts:

Alright PA, I did what you asked, so here I am. LOL BTW people, I have several books out, with a new one coming out shortly.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Even the Facebook lovefest is showing cracks in the facade. One author (with three books) posted to say,

When can I order my first set of copies? I've been trying to call PA since yesterday and no one answers the phone!!
PA displayed its exemplary customer service.

Not really true. You just spoke with us for a full 17 minutes, asking us the same question about ten times. We answered you each time. We then asked you to send us an email instead. We recommend that you do that.
And the author replied,

That's not true either. I asked about the e-book package and if I ordered barnes and nobles today if people could order my book. I was told that the package was $62.99 and now I am told by Candy that it is not a package and you want $62.99 three times! I spent 8 years writing this book; give us authors a break???
Eight years writing it, but how long searching for a publisher?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a gem:

I hope that the PA person that is writing for this thread is okay. Haven't seen any posts from him/her lately. I just got an offer from PA for 60% off the purchase of some of my books if I come here and 'like' this page. Well, I've 'liked' it but I don't see the coupon for the saving's anywhere on here. Is this not for me if I liked this page before I got the offer?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PA is going to regret its Facebook page. Infocenter might have been able to police the PAMB with no more than 10 posts a day or so, but Facebook is just too big and too open.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'd been wondering why the "Likes" nearly doubled in number today.

I doubt PA will be able to keep up with it. They don't have the resources to deal with sending out over a thousand 60% off coupons.

But if they manage it, the coupon will likely be for a minimum order number, 12-24 copies (3.99 each S&H of course!).

PA wins. PA writers lose. As ever.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Even one of PA's Facebook loyalists seems less than enthused about the latest special offer.

I'm looking over the email that I just got from PA. I think it is great that they are hiring, don't get me wrong. Also, I hope that through my posts that I have established myself as a defender of PA and what they do.

Get all the ducks in a row before saying anything, sandwich criticism between compliments, make it very very clear that no bashing is intended, remind PA of recent faithful service...

Now though, I have a question.

'We're going to tell president Obama and the leaders in the House and the Senate, and your local U.S. Representative, that because of you, and authors like you, new American jobs are created. And we'll send the exact same message, naming you, to your local TV station'

Why are you (PA) asking us to pay for this?

Why not?

Infocenter said that was a good question and avoided answering it. So the author tried again.

Okay, I can speculate that since you have over 50,000 authors that it takes time to send information to each TV station and member of Congress, assuming that even 5% (2500) purchase the service. I understand the time / materials concept. I also understand that this, along with other offers I can either accept or decline with no impact on my book. You're doing great with sending out confirmation emails now when we do get a service - I got one for LHJ and books in Europe, but I will recommend that when the need for the payment is not clear, please specify what the payment will be used to cover. I don't necessarily object to it, I just want to know what my $29 will be used for.

Yours is not to question why. Yours is but to buy and buy.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
This complaint seems to have been removed from PA's Facebook page. Hits all the familiar notes.

I have an urgent issue that I am now bringing into the public forum. Firstly let me thank Marvin for all his help thus far - he has tried hard to resolve since both Sydney and Carrie left before being able to resolve.

High turnover rate among PA staff - check.

I have two orders outstanding since March 3rd worth well over $1000. The orders were printed before the text changes were applied and so far we have determined that the printer was at fault (which was determined months ago).

It's never PA's fault - check.

However nothing further has happened. It is now August 17th - and still no books. PA is setting up a book tour schedule for me

I wonder how much that cost the author.

but I fear I won't even have a book that is viable to sell. I have been advised not to place any new orders until this is resolved

Seems like good advice, considering that PA has "well over $1000" from you, but you have nothing.

which leaves me in a very precarious position not to mention the financial outlay. Is there any way that this issue can be escalated? I am sure you can imagine that my patience is wearing thin.