Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
:eek:

THE MASTERS OF PA said:
Publishers who can set their e-book pricing independently, such as PublishAmerica, with no regard to what the competition does, will thrive.

They meant to say, "Publishers who can set their e-book pricing independently, such as PublishAmerica, with no regard to actually selling books to readers, will thrive."

Last edited:

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
An author responds:
Well, this is a disappointment. It's my fault I didn't inquire if the prices would indeed drop, but it would have been the right thing to do for PA to perhaps explain this fact when authors were contacted. It appears I've wasted $70.

No, it's not your fault. . . .

Update: This post has now been deleted. Apparently PA didn't "do the right thing."

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, had the author uploaded the book to Kindle on their own at $2.99 and sold a single copy, they'd have already "earned back" their "advance" from PA and had a profit margin.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the author who expressed his disappointment is not impressed that PA deleted his post:
Deleting my post and locking my topic because I expressed concern over PA? Very unprofessional. I said nothing inflammatory other than expressing my disappointment. Definitely not a way to instill trust in your authors.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I really want some of the drugs PA is passing around in that office. Yes, sometimes the ebook is priced around the same price as the print edition.

Usually both, in that case, are $10 or less.

All five of my novels come in Kindle format. Every single one of them is under $7, well under what the print editions sell for. I even make more in royalties than I do for the print editions.

And at the moment, they're all selling BETTER (multiple times better) than the print editions.
I don't mind at all: more money in my royalty check.

They really must think their authors are stupid.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I checked the Amazon best sellers page, and Kindle versions are only about $1 or so less than the paperback, and usually about $4 less than the hardcover. That was surprising; is this usually only best sellers priced that close? I thought the Kindle books were 75% or so less than the print versions.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie, you might want to edit his name out, as he seems to be wanting to do something with his PA book. If he doesn't have the rights, there's no reason to give someone reason to hang onto them for his posting here.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Infocenter responds to the author whose post was deleted.

Not to worry, must have happened by accident.

Do you ban people by accident as well?

Your post indicated disappointment over our response regarding ebook pricing. You said you had wasted $70. You wished you had known about ebook pricing before you activated ebook conversion.
Feel free to post it again, and you will be given a response if called for.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I checked the Amazon best sellers page, and Kindle versions are only about $1 or so less than the paperback, and usually about $4 less than the hardcover.

The Kindle version of my book is $5.20 on Amazon and the print version is $11.29. I'd find it difficult to make any electronic sales if the e-book approached the trade paperback in cost, so maybe it is just for the bestsellers.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your post indicated disappointment over our response regarding ebook pricing. You said you had wasted $70. You wished you had known about ebook pricing before you activated ebook conversion.
Feel free to post it again, and you will be given a response if called for.
Translation:

"Fell free to post it again, and you will be given a response if we deem you worthy, you little worm. Now get down on your knees and beg for Mistress's forgiveness."

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I checked the Amazon best sellers page, and Kindle versions are only about $1 or so less than the paperback, and usually about $4 less than the hardcover. That was surprising; is this usually only best sellers priced that close? I thought the Kindle books were 75% or so less than the print versions.

The cost of producing an ebook isn't significantly less than the cost of producing the print version.

Since buying my iPad 2, I've purchased three books. They were $12.99, $11.99, and $7.99. I'm pretty sure the first two would be trade paperbacks in print, and I know the third is a mass market paperback, so they're priced about on par with their respective print versions.

(I'm used to buying computer games digitally, so having a price structure on par with a physical copy--assuming the price is reasonable, unlike PA--doesn't bother me).

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
The cost of producing an ebook isn't significantly less than the cost of producing the print version.

It depends on the workflow and the book. If the publisher is doing ebooks only, you're correct, particularly if said publisher wants to do the job right. They're already doing the developmental editing, the PR, and so on. Properly formatting an ebook from scratch is similar to typesetting. It's generally HTML markup. (Why yes, I am formatting some reverted works.)

If the publisher is doing print and ebook in their workflow, then the cost of conversion isn't going to be anywhere near the cost of producing a book from scratch because they don't have to bother with editing and some of the other costs.

Let's face it: There are a truckload of free converters that will take a Word file and spit it back out in an ebook format. A quickie conversion is fast, but the end file will probably be riddled with formatting errors.

I wonder how PA is doing their conversion?

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
It depends on the workflow and the book. If the publisher is doing ebooks only, you're correct, particularly if said publisher wants to do the job right. They're already doing the developmental editing, the PR, and so on. Properly formatting an ebook from scratch is similar to typesetting. It's generally HTML markup. (Why yes, I am formatting some reverted works.)

If the publisher is doing print and ebook in their workflow, then the cost of conversion isn't going to be anywhere near the cost of producing a book from scratch because they don't have to bother with editing and some of the other costs.

Fair enough. What I was rather clumsily trying to say is that the actual, physical product needed (paper, glue, cardboard cover, etc.) is not the majority of the cost of a creating a book. It certainly isn't 75% of it.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
In general, I find the older a book is the less expensive the eBook version. It's the newer books that are still scrambling for the bestseller list that are comparable to the print versions. And PA sure as hell isn't in that contest.

But it makes sense they'd charge an exorbitant fee for something Amazon, Smashwords and everybody else already does for free. Their traditional business model would never work with eBooks -- why would the author buy more than one?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
But it makes sense they'd charge an exorbitant fee for something Amazon, Smashwords and everybody else already does for free. Their traditional business model would never work with eBooks -- why would the author buy more than one?

I don't think Amazon and Smashwords convert manuscripts to e-book format for free. I don't know if either even offer the service, but if they do, I'm sure they charge for it. They just don't charge anything to upload e-books to their stores.

The important distinction is that commercial publishers don't charge authors to convert manuscripts to e-book format, whereas PA does, thus proving, once again, that it (PA) is not a commercial publisher but a vanity press that charges for its services.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Amazon and Smashwords convert manuscripts to e-book format for free. I don't know if either even offer the service, but if they do, I'm sure they charge for it. They just don't charge anything to upload e-books to their stores.

Actually, you can upload a Word document to Smashwords and their software will convert it for you. I'm not saying the process is perfect, but it is free. And there are plenty of free conversion tools out there. Calibre is probably the best known of the lot. As I said above, this isn't a quickie convert job, particularly if conversion for an ebook wasn't in your workflow in the first place. The tools are free. Your time...

The important distinction is that commercial publishers don't charge authors to convert manuscripts to e-book format, whereas PA does, thus proving, once again, that it (PA) is not a commercial publisher but a vanity press that charges for its services.

Exactly. I've never had a publisher charge to convert to ebook or go from hardback to paperback or for doing normal edits. Oh, and they pay ME, too!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I don't think Amazon and Smashwords convert manuscripts to e-book format for free. I don't know if either even offer the service, but if they do, . . . .
Yeah, they do. But your file better be in good shape before sending to their converters (not difficult for those who are competent with Word). And Smashwords takes a percentage off the top of sales (20 percent?).

--Ken

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Yeah, they do. But your file better be in good shape before sending to their converters (not difficult for those who are competent with Word). And Smashwords takes a percentage off the top of sales (20 percent?).

--Ken

Okay, so colour me surprised that they'd do some work they don't charge for. :) (Not that I'd trust that. I'd need to do the conversion and test the output myself, but I guess that's just me. I'm pretty picky about layout, probably from nearly 25 years of being a tech writer.)

And I know that both Smashwords and Amazon take a cut of the sales. I specifically said they don't charge anything to upload.