Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Does anyone know if this is a simple task or is it worth the $199

Yes and absolutely not. A real publisher fixes such problems without charge.

But don't worry. The only people who will see your book will be family and close friends.

You can make it a talking point instead of trying to explain why your book isn't in stores and why it costs 200% more than similar books.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
This PA author is certainly busy (bolding mine.)

Greetings fellow PA authors. Well I have to say that I am very pleased with the way things are going with me. I am in the process of working on both Book 2 & 3 of [title redacted] as the artist [name] will be working on the art work as well. As soon as both books are done. I will be turning [another title] as well as [first title] into screen plays and taking PA on that Warner Brothers offer as soon as I get the funds together. After that I will be working together with a old friend of mine on a [genre redacted] Trilogy and a few other projects which I will be turning those into screen plays as well. I am waiting for the offical release date for [second book] as it is on this website. I am still working on trying to get others to buy this book but thats all I can do. Alas my work is never done. I will be sending all my work to PA so make no mistake.

No mistake? *sigh*
(His 162 page book, that came out last July, is available on Amazon for $24.95. So far it has no sales rank.)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
This seems like a really severe case of Published Author: The RPG. I hope this author gets a clue before too much money goes down the drain. :(

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I've seen this guy gushing the joys of being a "successful" Published Author on a social site. He is in severe denial, and occasionally takes some very angry swipes at PA detractors in his posts. He doesn't want any help, thank you very much.

He's in rather too deep to get out without losing a LOT of face. Apparently success to him is having lots of books for sale, and not so much about selling lots of books. He's got a little fan base of enablers and he's happy with that.

Except for his rah-rah 'tude luring less informed writers to sacrifice their books and careers on the PA altar, he's harming no one but himself.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Apparently success to him is having lots of books for sale

Reminds me of the author who's released 175 books and counting, all through vanity presses or self-publishing. PA eventually banned him from the discussion board, probably because he switched to Lulu or CreateSpace.

Nothing wrong with the churn-'em-out approach, as long as newer and less experienced writers don't mistake it for actual sales or publishing credits.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a simple task or is it worth the $199

$200 is just ... SO much money!

I would call them scoundrels if they tried to charge $5 for fixing small mistakes in a POD book, but $200? It doesn't even compute.

I don't understand how they can even make that demand without their heads exploding from the pure nonsense of it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet more non-delivery woes....on Dec 6, an author said:
I placed a rather large order in early October that has not yet been filled.

Today's update on that order:
My books finally arrived on December 22nd, but the order was incomplete. I have been told that the remaining books will be shipped within 2 or 3 weeks. Missed out on a lot of holiday business.
icon_sad.gif

Certainly hope the kinks are removed by spring.

Meanwhile, a naive author believes that paying PA to send her book to Warner Brothers means a film studio professional will read her book:
I have taken advantage of the screenplay contest. I am very excited. Even if my book does not make it at least it gets reviewed.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
My books finally arrived on December 22nd, but the order was incomplete. I have been told that the remaining books will be shipped within 2 or 3 weeks.

Why would PA print only part of a POD order? Did the machine run out of ink halfway through? They ran out of paper? What? Or did they think the author might have been so overjoyed to finally get books that she wouldn't notice?

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
From the screenplay thread:

My advice is to keep watching out for Amazon studio contests they have many. If you have time to get with friends to put together a screenplay for your book that would save you money

I hope these hypothetical friends actually know something about writing screenplays - not many studios are as lackadaisical about quality control as PA...

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand how PA can fail to fulfill print orders, since it seems that either their printer is broken or they don't know how to use it (or both) the majority of the time. But how hard is it to make an e-book?

I paid for the Grand E-book package around 12/10/10 and I haven't seen my book show up yet. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how long it will take for it to start showing up. I was also wondering if anyone would know if it will have a unique ISBN or if the ISBN will be the same as the eBook I had activated by Publishamerica a while back. There are so many different e-readers and sites that cover e-books out there but so far my ebook isn't showing up anywhere. It seems from all the news about e-books lately that this is an area of low cost for the publisher and great potential for the writer. I would like to tap this resource as much as possible and it seems that Publishamerica would too since they really stand to make more from the book than I do. My book already exist on Publishamerica's website with a unique ISBN number and now it should start showing up soon (since I paid for the service) on Kindle and Google’s eBook but I hope that Publishamerica (considering it is far more profitable for them) will work to get my book in any of the other eBooks such as nook and the online eBook retailers that exist out there like they have the paperback version which is showing up on quite a few sites now. Oh well, thanks Publishamerica for getting my paperback book out there and I hope you have the power and ability to get my eBook out there as well, as it seems that there is far more potential for income for the both of us if you do...
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
E-books are harder to convince people to buy in bulk...

Hey, you never know. I once made a photocopy of a document before I faxed it. Granted, it was the first time I'd ever used a fax machine....

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Then there was the guy who fed his documents through the shredder and wanted to know how long it would take for the fax to arrive....

Meanwhile:

PublishAmerica authors still resonating: http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=48535
Many years ago, a story was reported in the press about a professor whose life's work was mistakenly shredded instead of photocopied at local shop. The store's personnel had to laboriously tape the shreds (not cross-cut, at that time) back together. It was his ONLY copy.

As for the cited author -- sounds like a book that deserves much better than PA can provide.

--Ken

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Just found an article by a newer PA author who was banned from the board.

Just last month they sent out emails asking authors to volunteer to do book reviews for them. Not a week went by and a second email states if we purchase a set amount of copies of our own book(s) Publish America will have two reviews done on our book(s) by fellow authors. So we volunteer to do a job that they are going to be paid for.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Many PA books certainly deserve better than PA can provide. The best of them get the same treatment, and the same sales, as the worst.

I'd say that if the covers curl, the pages fall out and the writing and/or pictures inside come out smeared, EVERY book deserves better, even the truly poor ones - or at least the writer deserves to see a proper quality copy of the truly poor book they love so much, as they were promised.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
Why do we stop writing?

Talking about "writing barriers."

One reply...

Where did my passion go? It vanished over the many years of trying to get published through conventional methods with conventional publishers.

Thanks, PA for letting me hold my published book in my hands. I wish I had found PA about 20 years ago. Things might have been a lot different.

PA isn't a conventional publisher? Shocked.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I notice the PAMB is much quieter than it used to be and the last posting by a new author in New Author Arrivals was back on November 20th. Either the newbies aren't posting or there are a lot less signing contracts.

~brianm~
FWIW, one of my PA author friends yesterday shared with the local writing group we both are in that she had signed the contract for e-book version of her PA book. She was looking forward to the royalties . . .

Nice lady. A book with some value. And she seems satisfied with PA's performance.

--Ken

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
And she seems satisfied with PA's performance.

Well if she just signed, they haven't really had time to perform much, though the cover design usually seems to be the peak of their performance anyway. I truly hope she remains happy with her choice, then, and finds a way to make it work for her.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just the author-customers who get screwed:
A lady named <name redacted> contacted me to let me now she had purchased my book, <title redacted> quite a while ago and had not recieved it yet. She did not give me much information, (like a purchase date), so I'm afraid I can only give you her name.
Are you guys still having trouble with printing? I am just wondering what to tell her about this issue.

Infomonster's reply is to tell the lady to email support @ PA. Because, yeah, we all know how much good that does!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Well if she just signed, they haven't really had time to perform much, though the cover design usually seems to be the peak of their performance anyway. I truly hope she remains happy with her choice, then, and finds a way to make it work for her.
I mean she is satisfied with PA's performance vis a vis her book for the last three or four years. The e-book is a new thing for her (we shall see how that goes), but she has been promoting and selling her book since 2007. It is something of a niche book (a couple of niches, one by geography and another by ethnicity). Overpriced and of mediocre production quality, as usual with PA, and she has to do nearly all of the selling herself.

--Ken