Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another author is less than thrilled:
I ordered one of my new books with the thought that if I received it in a timely manner I would order several next time. Hasn't worked out so I'll just wait til it goes on Amazon.
....but not so un-thrilled that he's going to stop buying his own books.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More complaints about pricing:
It stands to reason that when you raise books to an unreasonable cost that not only do the general public not purchase the book but either does your authors. Until I am giving the opportunity to either purchase one book to reduce it to PAperback prices or the book returns to a more reasonable rate I cannot afford to buy and resale my book. Nor will anyone buy it at its current price. So in other words, a book that just entered the market in July has been pushed to back shelves or not even considered for purchase because of the high cost of the book.

Again, I am not angry or even frustrated. I am just stating the facts. At your current price structure of softcover, no one will want to buy the books you are selling. And please don't tell me you can buy xxx amount of books at discounted and be on the PAperback lower cost list. Again I like most people now in days are living on a strict budget and cannot aford to spend 100.00 to 200.00 to purchase my own book so it can be at a reasonable price that it should have been in the first place.

She should be angry and frustrated.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
a book that just entered the market in July has been pushed to back shelves or not even considered for purchase because of the high cost of the book.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only reason the book has been pushed to the back shelves or not even considered for purchase. Just a reminder, PA books are not edited, published based on any kind of merit (almost all manuscripts submitted are accepted and printed), returnable, actually ordered by bookstores due to PA's insignificant discount, or even available online as they used to be. Then, there's the ridiculous price.

If Infocenter doesn't like this author's tone, she may get banninated and her posts ** poofed ** to the cornfield.

By the way, this author has made several posts here in the PA forum at AW. I hope she will see the difference in the content of responses that are posted here and what responses are posted on the PAMB.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And another author is less than thrilled:

....but not so un-thrilled that he's going to stop buying his own books.

He's one of PA's loyalists. I suppose that's one way he can support PA: regular buying of his own books.

And this is just crazy.

Take notice of the e-mail we received today. This is to stock our book, not just to be in the database.

Dear author:

Barnes and Noble just called in this morning to stock multiple copies of multiple book titles.

If you want your book considered for stocking by Barnes and Noble, we will let those responsible for the purchase order know.

Softcovers only.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, use this discount coupon: B&N55, which gives you a discount that our industry typically reserves for bookstores only: 55 pct. Must order at least 4 copies. Use the coupon on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'd be wasting your money if you tried.
Your use of the B&N55 coupon will automatically cause your book to be recommended for stocking
Softcovers only? Meaning B&N wants to stock the currently most expensive PA books?

And I hope the authors take note of the part where the books will be "recommended for stocking". Guess it's not PA's fault if B&N doesn't accept that recommendation, huh?

The author(s) who are emailing Textstream/B&T because they don't want to believe the problem lies with PA also replied.

Well, just received email from PA stating that Barnes & Noble called in to offer authors to stock their books. Problem with that is we're being asked to purchase more soft copies. And the soft copy retail price for my book is $29.95.

I made several inquiries to Baker & Taylor early this morning regarding the situation with B&N (see above note). I don't know if this had anything to do with this morning's offer, but this is still not the outcome I am looking for. I want to see my books listed with B&N, Amazon, etc., as they were many months ago...in their online bookstores without having to purchase expensive soft covers which will not sell at the recently upped prices.

I am still hopeful that we can get our books back online soon.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If you want your book considered for stocking by Barnes and Noble...
Your use of the B&N55 coupon will automatically cause your book to be recommended for stocking.
Bolding mine.

considered for stocking and recommended for stocking -vs- actually stocked

Read it again and draw your conclusion.

Last edited:

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
And this is just crazy.

Softcovers only? Meaning B&N wants to stock the currently most expensive PA books?

And I hope the authors take note of the part where the books will be "recommended for stocking". Guess it's not PA's fault if B&N doesn't accept that recommendation, huh?

Yup, that's PA weasel-wording at its finest. Even in the offer it says:

If you want your book considered for stocking by Barnes and Noble, we will let those responsible for the purchase order know.

Bolding mine. Sadly, at least one author hasn't noticed. Did you notice his comment at the beginning?
Take notice of the e-mail we received today. This is to stock our book, not just to be in the database.

And this line from PA:

Barnes and Noble just called in this morning to stock multiple copies of multiple book titles.

I call bull$#17 ... Surely there has to be a way to verify this statement.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I would imagine it went something like this:

*cue swirly flashback effect*

3 local authors walk into B&N to arrange for a book signing at their local store.

Manager is being nice.

Calls number for PA.

B&N: could you please send copies of these 3 books for a book signing?
PA: that will be [very large number of $$$]; and if they don't sell, you keep 'em. We might get them there on time, but it's probably best to ask the authors if they have any on hand.
B&N: .....

PA e-mail: Barnes and Noble just called in this morning to stock multiple copies of multiple book titles.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Unless B&N's small press policy has changed drastically, they do NOT stock POD books on the shelves. At all.

I used to have those policies somewhere...

Unless B&N called to have copies in the warehouse...which would totally defeat the purpose of POD. (And they had to call PA directly, since it seems no printer will work with them. LOL)

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com

Barnes and Noble just called (What publisher? Surely not PA) in this morning to stock multiple copies of multiple book titles. What is the multiple? Two? One? Zero?

Do bookstores usually call in orders, or do they have a way of ordering by computer?

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Again, a trick to get writers to put up the cash upfront so PA can have a few copies printed so Amazon and B&N can have a few copies in the warehouse and activate the titles.

The no-amazon-no-b&n-why-why-why group was getting louder and needed to be placated for a few more days. All the while holding out the carrot that YOUR books will be on the SHELVES of B&N.

Now PA can put it back on B&N when it doesn't happen.

I gotta give the devil their due . . . they are effing brilliant in their manipulation.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com

Which means, no, your PA book won't actually be stocked. PA may or may not let the person responsible for the purchase know about your book. Hey, PA, how about making a catalog with your books in it and sending it to bookstores. Oh, I remember now, you don't promote books in any way, bookstores don't stock POD books, and you don't want books stocked in bookstores.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, use this discount coupon: B&N55, which gives you a discount that our industry typically reserves for bookstores only: 55 pct.

Notice PA doesn't state that they give a 55% discount to bookstores. They weasel-word it to say that "our industry typically reserves" that discount for bookstores. "Our industry," as if PA is in the same industry as Random House. You're in the wrong neighborhood, PA. You're closer to Kinko's than Random House.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The Amazon/B&N thread was locked after this post.

Note that in the original email PA stated books would be "recommended" for stocking.
Thank goodness someone noticed that.

I would love to see my books on B&N's shelves. But at $29.95, I'm fearful that they would not sell. Looking down the road, what will B&N do with books that do not sell? No need to restock...will they be returnable?

What about PAperbacks and bargain hard copies? Most of us will be trying to sell these via our web sites. Those customers with computer skills who know about these new formats won't stroll into B&N to buy a book for $29.95 when they can get it online from PA at $9.95 or $14.95. PA knows that, it's a win-win scenario for them.

It would be great if B&N stocked our books AND re-listed us in their online bookstore at a reasonable price (okay, PA) ?
icon_smile.gif

This author just keeps hanging on, hoping and believing in PA... sigh.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
After the B&N/Amazon thread got locked, another PA author started a new thread:

It's sort of funny or ironic about locking the question about Barnes and Noble right after your division that sends out the sales promotions sends authors the Hey Guess What You Might Get your Book on B&N shelves by u guessed it Buying your book.

Come on guys. We are not that naive and see a white wash when we see it. But I have a strong feeling this little message will be deleted before anyone has a chance to see it.

If you are not to going to push for our books to be at B&N like most of your promotional ads state over and over again. Then be big enough to state it. And remove those promotional about how B&N are a contributing bookstore that stocks books "Free" to your authors.

Here's the link: http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32802

I assume it will disappear momentarily.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
This author just keeps hanging on, hoping and believing in PA... sigh.

Even after I told them the truth, they want to prove me wrong so badly . . . I actually wish they could. But, it ain't gonna happen. They came and checked out this forum, I hope they are lurking. ::waves::

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Someone needs to call B&N to verify if any such call was made. Furthermore, PA needs to step up to the plate and announce which titles were stocked, if any. If not, then PA needs to be more truthful. Maybe the FTC would like to investigate this.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Someone needs to call B&N to verify if any such call was made. Furthermore, PA needs to step up to the plate and announce which titles were stocked, if any. If not, then PA needs to be more truthful. Maybe the FTC would like to investigate this.

Yeah, but there's no way to know if it was a buyer at corporate or a manager at one of the many stores.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
And a writer has as much a chance to get their Kinkos-printed book shelved in a store as they do their PA printed book.

As in slim to none.

But as we all know, PA authors gain hope when they DO walk into their local store and they say yes to stocking their book. Been there, done that. My local B&N stocked my first book. It wasn't priced quite as high then, but it wasn't returnable and they still did order some - I went later to see it on the shelf and give myself a pat on the back. Later, I went back to that same store when I had two books through PA and they ordered several of each for a book signing. And THAT is the kind of story that gets many authors hopeful and led down a path that says, "I'm on my way to stardom!"

Unfortunately, that kind of story isn't what most are like. I'm in a very friendly midwestern territory where it might be easier in some instances to get a store to order PA books. But other authors latch onto these positive stories and say, "I can do it, too!"

Needless to say, amidst that initial excitement, they become blind and don't recognize what PA is really doing, or not doing for them. Despite having gained placement in one bookstore... that's where it ends, and PA does nothing about other brick and mortar stores - they just offer incredible gimmicks that these same blind authors run to for that one-in-a-million chance. Because who knows?

The unknown often feeds unrealistic hopes, just like gambling can do. "I could be the one." As for me... I'd rather be "the one" on my own and not "the one" with PA who wants the profit from any of my successes.

The only thing that will get authors to avoid PA is places like this, where the truth is told. But until PA folds, there will still be blind authors running to them. I'm pretty smart, and even I got pulled in.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
After the B&N/Amazon thread got locked, another PA author started a new thread:

Here's the link: http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32802

I assume it will disappear momentarily.
2 hours later and its...still there!

I've noticed, too (like Wrider here) that the PA complaints are on the rise.

And Wrider, it has nothing to do with intelligence, but everything to do with PA's "promise" to give your book the chance it deserves (I can't quote that, since that phrase doesn't seem to be on their front page anymore. Or I've missed it.) PA on the surface seems to be a new writer's dream. At first. "They like me! They really like me!" Many new writers would be taken in by their claims also.

About nine years ago, I was looking for a publisher and came here first for help. AW had just started up (2001). Thankfully, the words "money flows toward the writer" came up a lot, and Jenna had a lot of sound advice. So I was lucky.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
But as we all know, PA authors gain hope when they DO walk into their local store and they say yes to stocking their book.
Yup. A couple books in one store out of the thousands across the US and Canada. If you can sell a few copies, more power to you!

Those writers seem to not get that placement in one store doesn't mean the others will magically know about it and do the same. They will spend more buying gas to drive to the store than they will collect in royalties.

They will collect NO royalties from books they supplied on their own.

Dear PA Lurkers: I have a recent release with a real publisher. It is a trade paperback much like your own product.

The difference with mine is it was professionally edited, proofed, has a professional cover (a very good one!) and its 356 pages are selling for 15.00. Last I checked PA is selling similar books for 32.00 + S&H.

In chain and indie stores across the country, 2-3 copies of that title were put out on the shelves in each on its release day. I didn't go in to ask for space, my publisher--through their distributor--ably covered that job.

It's "in stock" on Amazon, and in the number 6 spot for its sub-genre in sales. It's been reviewed by Publisher's Weekly and Booklist.

Cost to me in effort: zero.

My publisher has distribution. PA doesn't.

My book will sell to the general public, even to people who've never heard of me before.

Yours won't.

The sad and bitter truth is no matter how much a PA writer promotes, his sales for the next 7 years will never match my books sales for its first day.

I don't have to do a danged thing to promote it if I don't want to; all I need do is stay home and do more writing.

Which I'm gonna do in a couple minutes!

Do your next book a favor, sell it to a publisher who has store placement. It's all too obvious that PA lacks that vital connection.

Last edited: