Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I see further down that they sent her the boilerplate C&D letter for "defamation per se" that they sent me a few years ago. I guess their lawyer on premises can't come up with anything new to sue people for. BUT, this time he made a huge boo-boo - he put her pen name (*snort) on the papers, and then sent them around WITH her Social Security number on them. Bad news, that.

It's still a free country, and we still have free speech. No one's defaming PA - they do a good job of that all by themselves.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I see further down that they sent her the boilerplate C&D letter for "defamation per se" that they sent me a few years ago. I guess their lawyer on premises can't come up with anything new to sue people for. BUT, this time he made a huge boo-boo - he put her pen name (*snort) on the papers, and then sent them around WITH her Social Security number on them. Bad news, that.

It's still a free country, and we still have free speech. No one's defaming PA - they do a good job of that all by themselves.
Funny that Vic has a boilerplate C&D letter prepared; makes me think PA has been expecting trouble all along.
Tsk, tsk.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This was posted on the PAMB yesterday. I had the window open just in case it was disappeared, which of course happened.

I just had my novel published with PA but I haven't received my complimentary copy yet. When I called at first, the lady who spoke to me told me the copy of my book hasn't been ordered inorder to be sent to me. She told me that she was going to send the order so that the complimentary copy is sent to me. simple.

When I called again a day later to confirm if the order has been sent, the lady I talked to told me PA has stopped sending complimentary copies to Authors outside US. I was told to order a copy if I'm to see a copy of my published book. I wanted to see the copy first so that I can order more copies for reviews and preparation of media kid. It's big nightmare.
icon_question.gif

Can someone help me know which is which? Last year a received a complimentary copy of my poetry book.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
One question I have based on the investigative reporting of Ms. Darkness: her facts make it seem as if PA wouldn't be in nearly as much hot water except for the recent "donate your book to X" promotions resulted in a profound number of returns. Is that the deal?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Bolding and underlining mine:

Mine is on BnN, but there's no purchase info. They did get the cover art fixed (after I emailed them about it) but there's not 'cart' or 'purchase' links anywhere.. Almost like.. "Here's a book to read.. if you can find it." I DID notice that you can't find it by title, or Author's name. You HAVE to have the ISBN.

How true the "Here's a book to read... if you can find it" portion of this quote from a PA author is. Even harder still if you actually have to have the ISBN because typing in the title or author's last name gets you nowhere.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
One question I have based on the investigative reporting of Ms. Darkness: her facts make it seem as if PA wouldn't be in nearly as much hot water except for the recent "donate your book to X" promotions resulted in a profound number of returns. Is that the deal?

I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back and brought out into the light the fact that PA has possibly been making good on their claims to "send your book to Oprah, Tom Hanks, Random House, Wal*Mart, etc." Only problem is, these are books that no one ordered and they've simply been returning them (hopefully at cost to PA for shipping).

It was when the mountain of returns began to become known, and PA had to pay Lightning Source for the returns, that things began to unravel. PA's plan backfired in a big way and now they are reaping the benefits of ripping off their authors.

Seems like sweet justice to me.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I don't normally check out the Purple Snowflake's endless self-promotional posts, but I'm glad I looked at this one.

August slows down a lot, though... It will be a good time to scan through the files and make sure everyone's been followed up on, double check the royalties (still haven't heard from PA on an issue from the last two royalty periods)

Bolding mine. Not surprising that half the post is about her working with another publisher.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
PA is in violation of their contract by withholding royalties and royalty statements, as I noted in this post.

Unless those writers have a different contract than the one I found, PA is wide open for plenty of action in small claims court from 100s of annoyed writers.

Stooges--it will cost you less to just send the statements and pay the poor writers their pittances.

I know you're greedy stupid *******s, but there's no need to be quite THIS stupid unless you have plans to lock the doors and walk away to an extradition-free country.

If you plan to stick around, then fulfill your legal obligations to the writers.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
It always hurts to hear about PA authors and marketing, because you know most put out money they'll never make back. I know of one who's doing an invitation-only book party soon and has a caterer booked.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Side note: Seems lots of authors are wondering IF they'll even receive ONE complimentary copy of their book... my contracts stated how many books I'd received and I even negotiated with my last two. Do they not put that in contracts anymore? Are authors just assuming they'll get a free book?

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
It should be stated in the contract if they are receiving a free copy. My contract stated I would receive two. Shortly after I signed with PA (fall of 2008), that wording was removed from the PA contract and authors were not receiving complimentary author copies any longer. Folks on the PAMB were not happy about this turn of events. Infocenter made a post a few months later on the PAMB stating that they would be sending one complimentary author copy, but as far as I know it is not stated in the current contract that an author will receive any free/complimentary copies of their book.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
How many free copies an author received was one of the negotiable terms of the contract. I received 5 free copies.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
This one is from a while back, I don't remember it being saved. I'm really surprised that Info-Gorgon didn't pounce on it. The subject is buy-five-we-send-five to a fer-real-live celeb.

haha I know right? I was telling my husband that same exact thing, that its all a way to make money off of us. I mean no offense to PA cause I know we are being monitered but I feel that if they wanted to give us the publicity that they email us about then they could in a heartbeat. But unfortunatly I dont have the money to give them or to order my own books so that kinda screws me over in the whole books signing thing. I mean I have some really good ideas to get me publicity but I DEFINATLY do not have the capitol for it. Which is a major bummer.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Worst answers ever.

Or best lies ever. On another thread, he of the numerous websites gives the same newbie some advice:
. . . glad you're here. Don't worry, being nervous is par for the course for a first time author. You'll grow out of that real soon. So your book release is in Sept? Congrats. Now, start promoting the book and yourself. Get a web site going. www.webs.com is a good place to go. They prompt you through the set up and it's free! PA also has a web site builder. Make up business cards, book markers, door hang tags, etc. and pass them out every where you go. I do this on my computer. Start your media kit and contact your local television and radio stations, as well as, the newspapers. Ask to place your flyers in book stores. I've even had the managers tell me who to call to schedule book signings. When you get the cover for your book add it to your site, cards, etc. Now is the time to promote. Get the word out that an author with a new book is coming out real soon and maybe you will be able to garner some potential sales ahead of time.. Good luck.

But promoting what isn't distributed—or even readily available—is an exercise in futility.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
From the perspective of an author, it makes sense for the publisher to advertise, promote, and make their books available (or present) in bookstores. That would give more people access to the book and create the possibility of more sales. And, that would be good for the publisher and the author.

From the perspective of PublishAmerica, and their contract, simply listing the books on their website and Amazon is considered advertising, marketing, and promoting. And, by having them in the PA book store, they are available. Kind of...if anyone can get through to place an order, but how do you verify that? It's not what many PA authors expect. It's certainly not what I expected, but it satisfies their responsibilities under the contract.

PublishAmerica doesn't need the books they publish in bookstores. They make their money from their authors.

They know it.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
And when you call that person and say "PublishAmerica" what are the very next words out of that person's mouth?

“Out, out! Get out! Out before I slash your throat with a knife and hang you dripping with blood from the flag-pole. Out, before I pull your guts from your body and stuff them down your mouth. Out, before I become mildly irritated. Go, hence, begone. Stand not upon the order of your going, but go at once. Run! Run quickly from here, run to the other side of Europe, flee for your life nor give not one backward glance. I never hope to see you again in this world or the next. Never speak to me, never approach me, never advertise your presence to me by the smallest sound, or by the living God that made me I will do such things… I know not what they are but they will be the terrors of the earth. Flee hence, be not here, but somewhere in a vast Elsewhere to which I have no access. Boys who rub me the wrong way, Newton, come to a sticky end. Be removed, piss off, heraus, get utterly outly out.”

-Stephen Fry, The Liar

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Uh-oh. This unhappy author's post won't last. Better archive it:
I have activated the Bargain Hardcover for my first book by purchasing the minimum books required and using the coupon provided. That was over two weeks ago. I have an order confirmation, but as of today, I have no books in hand and my book is now listed as $32.95 for a softcover!! I tried to activate the PAperback version and coudn't navigate to the page to do so! My newest novel hasn't vn been officially released, yet, but I saw the price jump from $27.95 on Wednesday to $32.95 today!! again for a softcover! Meanwhile I get an email offering to sell me back the rights to my book because they haven't had any sales in the past year! Huh? Wonder why! (I have bought several cases myself amd sell them at a modest profit in my store.)

While I like to give PA the benefit of the doubt, I have emailed and phoned several times about this and have had no response. Maybe someone out there is listening???

We're listening over here at AW, and you have our sympathy.

On another thread, the same author posts this:
I found my book on the Barnes and Noble site, but no new copies available, just one used for over $50!! Worse yet, my second book is set to be released and although B&N hosted 2 signings for the first one (here in SC and in NY) they have been reluctant to do so this time. Why? Because they say they cannot purchase from their distributor and the books are not returnable. I must submit copies of my work with promotional ideas and materials and my book must be competatively priced before they decide to stock it in their stores. Hmmmm....this is becoming a problem.

And, on another thread, another author has noticed:
The prices have indeed gone up by 5.00 on our non-PAperback and bargain hard-cover books. Hopefully they'll come around with another chance to activate PAperbacks and bargain hardcovers in the future, whether it be a few weeks, months or even a year down the road.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Dear PA writer,

You're being ripped off.

PA is hoping you'll fold up, pay to get out of your contract, and quietly fade into obscurity while they're counting the money they got from you.

Are you mad yet? You should be.

icon8.gif

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. This unhappy author's post won't last. Better archive it:

We're listening over here at AW, and you have our sympathy.

Here is a cheerleader's response:

well if you ordered those bargain hardbacks, they'll definitely come (i believe those orders were to be shipped on a first come, first serve basis) so i can imagine it'll take a few more weeks. Yeah, the prices have gone up, PA told us they would a week ago. I'd call PA directly to ask about the status of your order if you don't receive them within another 2 weeks.
I'm sorry sir, there is nothing you can say that will justify a $32.95 softcover ... nothing.

And, on another thread, another author has noticed:

Interestingly enough, that's the cheerleader that responded above. Another long-time PAuthor has this to say in response.

I"ve worked with other publishers and I'm really not sure why PA needs us to purchase books in order to have them in various formats - either they make their books available in certain formats or they don't... but then PA doesn't fit the standard publishing model (which can be a good thing of course). I actually just purchased the books we needed for the rest of 2010 during one of their many mass-emails for discounts, etc... only to find that now that my budget is gone - they require more and more and more... *Sigh* - only the rich will benefit from this round of events PA has going on.

It's really quite sad.