Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    Sorry about your poem Katrina, but be comforted by the fact it was your teacher's fault for not doing her homework first on that one.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    RIGHT OF THE SOIL (Editing)
    Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

On Amazon.

Terri Coop has been known to write circlexranch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
    The blog in post 2788 had one too. I went to go to the main page of his blog and the link in my left corner on my task bar had botd2 in the link, then flipped to the regular link. Could be the host sites or something their doing???
    I think it is more likely that she installed an aftermarket widget or app from some website that advertises to the clueless all sort of "cool" stuff to make your website more "popular" and "appealing" and all it does is harvest info and try and infect anyone who stumbles into your blog.

However webs.com has got to pay the bills somehow and I guarantee that your info is sold to anyone who wants it when you set up a "free" website. Not real professional.

Now, I have to mea culpa. I am smarting right now because I fell for a scam. STAY AWAY from all the so-called "speed up your PC because viruses and other evil is gnawing away at your registry but we can fix it software." It is all a scam.

Getting the scam software off my computer took an effort and installing a program from the good guys (sort of a computer geek version of this board except they exposes software scams) before things were right again. So, I am on a software-scam tear right now.
    Last edited by circlexranch; 06-18-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Terri Coop

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.

Sorry about your poem Katrina, but be comforted by the fact it was your teacher's fault for not doing her homework first on that one.
    I think you'd find that most high school (and Jr. High) teachers would swear by "contests" like the International Library of Poetry. So far as they know, they're legit and winning is worth broadcasting.
    <---- NEW BOOK (Snazzy new cover coming ASAP.)

I'm already a real writer. Katrina S. Forest's Avatar
    circlexranch - ouch, glad your computer is feeling better. Honestly, I just wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows every few months. I'm really thinking of permanently disconnecting the Windows box from the Internet and doing all my browsing on my Linux machine. Even an unintentional click can spell a big mess.

Don't worry, it's not a loss I dwell on. I think "poem" is a very generous term for the assortment of words I submitted to them. (I thought it was brilliant at the time, of course.) I wish I would've caught onto things before my parents bought the anthology, but it was a lesson well-learned, and it definitely taught me to research before sending. And on those days where I just feel like I've made no progress as a writer in the last (insert years since I was 12 here), the anthology makes for an amusing read.
    Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 06-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    "So we must daily keep things wound: that is, we must pray when prayer seems dry as dust; we must write when we are physically tired, when our hearts are heavy" -Madeleine L'Engle

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories

Quote Originally Posted by Gillhoughly View Post
    Anyone seen this?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/shu...ublish-america

There was a link on the PA FB wall.

I'm not sure if the facts are true that PA has been in Chapter 7 since '04. Huh?

Anyone? Bueller?

(JulieB--I could NOT resist, you had the Bueller thing first!)
    Hey, don't blame me for that one! ;-)

As for the bankruptcy thing, wouldn't any filing be in public records?

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=32537

Oh boy. New author got her release date and is planning a release party.

About fell out my chair when I opened that email. Everything is moving SO fast, I'm not sure if ultimately, my brain, or nerves for that matter, will be able to keep up!

So, the official release date is July 20, 2010!! PA is now in the process of putting together a press release for all of the local media in and around my area. Very exciting!

So, now the question remains. July 20th is a Tuesday. Everyone is asking about a release party (even though I've actually announced the date to anyone yet.) Being that in my mind, I envision a cocktail party, I am thinking that a Friday/Saturday evening/night would be ideal.

For those who've made it to this step... how long after your official release, did you plan your release party? I was thinking of giving it a few weeks, to generate some buzz first, and then allowing my guests to bring their copies, if they desired, to have them signed.

Thoughts, Ideas and suggestions are all welcomed!
    Guests can bring their copies... yeah...

She got one response from an old timer:

I just wanted to say how nice it was to witness the excitement you are going through. The process truly is like an emotional roller coaster ride.

One piece of advice--have you're books in your hand before you schedule anything that requires you to have them. Less frustrating. Seriously. Enjoy the party though.
    Does that sound like he's mentally cringing to anyone else?

Absolutely Fazed
    I have a feeling the fall is going to be very painful for that writer. I feel so bad for her.

Sounds like he knows what's bound to happen, wants to save her some angst, but doesn't want to ruin her happy day. Seems pretty kind, really.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Researching History's Mysteries HistorySleuth's Avatar
    I thought the post back to her was thoughtful as well, DreamWeaver.
    Blog Twitter @HistorySleuth1
    RIGHT OF THE SOIL (Editing)
    Bread & Butter the Murders of Polly Frisch

On Amazon.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    Hey, don't blame me for that one! ;-)

As for the bankruptcy thing, wouldn't any filing be in public records?
    The only documents I'd been able to find on the PACER system were for the Lightning Source lawsuit, but that wasn't filed in Maryland. Let me dig around and see if I can find anything later when I get home.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own.

Oh dear... my heart it hurts when she sees what PA is she will not be so happy .. I just hope she dose not give up but dusts her self off and comes back stronger I hope she finds this site and we can give her cookies to help her pain
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

Another suggestion to the author who wants to throw a cocktail party.

I use the discount offers they give me to order books from them for use in events, sell and promotion. I get a few possible every year since my second book came out in 2008. That is what I would advice you do if you can't afford so many books at once. Just buy a few every year
    That's... not going to help with the book launch party idea.

with the discounts they offer, the mimimum you need to get to assure getting their deep discounts and the books will accumulate.
    Why would you want your book to accumulate?

Terri Coop has been known to write circlexranch's Avatar
    The only documents I'd been able to find on the PACER system were for the Lightning Source lawsuit, but that wasn't filed in Maryland. Let me dig around and see if I can find anything later when I get home.
    Ben, just a reminder that there is a separate PACER system for bankruptcy court. I pulled it up and did a quick search. Publish America has not filed bankruptcy in Maryland.

I'm not sure what the petition poster is talking about. Unfortunately making statements like that hurts, not helps, the cause.

Plus, a business will generally not file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy because it can't discharge its debts. A business will usually file a Chapter 11 or a Chapter 13.

Think we need to reach out to the poster of the petition?
    Terri Coop

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Well, the guy with the blog that we linked to a couple of pages back - remember him? We couldn't get a bead on him? I think he's completely serious. I congratulated him on a successful experiment, but gently tried to tell him that his grammar is not really up to standard for writing commercially. I was really, really trying to help this guy, not pick on him. I tried to be gentle, though I knew it would sting.

He deleted my comments. So I guess his writing needs no help and people will buy his book despite wretched sentence structure. *shrug*

ETA: maybe he didn't, because i see them now. Or maybe he did and then put them back? Whoops.
    Last edited by Christine N.; 06-19-2010 at 02:57 AM.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
    Another suggestion to the author who wants to throw a cocktail party.
    That's... not going to help with the book launch party idea.

Why would you want your book to accumulate?
    The advice gets worse. The PA enthusiast with the dozen or so websites weighs in:
    I haven't ever heard of anyone having a 'Release party', BUT, WHAT A GREAT iDEA! That certainly will get quite a few pwople lined up to buy your book. You know the date, don't hesitate. Charge forward. I think your dates for the party are perfect. If you can, go all out. have flyers and business cards ready to hand out. Make up a banner of your book, if possible, to hang up. Promote, promote, promote. Steer people to your web site (s). Ask that they pass the news of your release date on to their friends. Okay, you've got the 'Release Date' party planned. Now all you have to do is start with the 'coming out' party. That's when you get your authors books. Once you've got that, then you have something to show your party guests what they are buying. Let them thumb through the book (becareful, that they don't start reading it, that will spoil the surprise). Then there's the 'First Sales' party. The 'interview' party. The 'book signing' party and so on and so on. Soon you could have a network of potential buyers already lined up. Remember, never give up, never surrender.
    This is so . . . just wrong. You can't successfully promote what isn't readily available. Or affordable. (Her 200-page book is $24.95.)

I find the idea of spoiling the surprise strangely ironic. Or maybe not so strange.
    Last edited by PVish; 06-19-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add book price.

practical experience, FTW ether's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PVish View Post
    The advice gets worse. The PA enthusiast with the dozen or so websites weighs in:

This is so . . . just wrong. You can't successfully promote what isn't readily available. Or affordable. (Her 200-page book is $24.95.)

I find the idea of spoiling the surprise strangely ironic. Or maybe not so strange.
    Hush now! Don't you spoil someone's surprise when they open that book and see the grammar and spelling errors, coupled with a stock-cover, poor gluing and possibly lousy type-setting!

That's the kind of surprise I'd want after paying $24.95. Hell yes.
    Kelley

[Website + Blog|

HUSHED (2011) | HOLLOWED (2012) | SUICIDE WATCH (2012) | MADE OF STARS (2013)

Good grief. Is he actually serious about this?

Okay, you've got the 'Release Date' party planned. Now all you have to do is start with the 'coming out' party... Then there's the 'First Sales' party. The 'interview' party. The 'book signing' party and so on and so on.
    Don't forget the 'royalty check' party. And the 'tone letter' party.

Anyone who throws all these parties is going to be the laughing-stock of their friends, and out of pocket as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
    Anyone who throws all these parties is going to be the laughing-stock of their friends, and out of pocket as well.
    If they have any friends left after all that self-promotion. Ugh. That kind of self-centeredness boggles my mind.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Website | Twitter

Absolutely Fazed
    I haven't ever heard of anyone having a 'Release party', BUT, WHAT A GREAT iDEA!
    This shows how insular PA writers are from the rest of the writing community. I hear about release parties quite a bit. They may not be super common, but plenty of writers have them.

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    Maybe it's me, but I see a book release party as a chance for friends and family to celebrate with me, not buy from me.

But that could just be me.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Unless you're one of those few mega-authors that publishers plan a release event for, I'd think (hope) most people have the common sense to make any kind of "release party" a family/friend affair with balloons and a cake from the grocery store.

If you get published, then by all means celebrate the event, but don't put yourself in a hole doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
    Maybe it's me, but I see a book release party as a chance for friends and family to celebrate with me, not buy from me.
    QFT.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Website | Twitter

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by circlexranch View Post
    Ben, just a reminder that there is a separate PACER system for bankruptcy court. I pulled it up and did a quick search. Publish America has not filed bankruptcy in Maryland.

I'm not sure what the petition poster is talking about. Unfortunately making statements like that hurts, not helps, the cause.

Plus, a business will generally not file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy because it can't discharge its debts. A business will usually file a Chapter 11 or a Chapter 13.

Think we need to reach out to the poster of the petition?
    As much as the stooges troll the net looking for misinformation about their Precious, I'm thinking somebody might be headed for a bannination if they haven't been already.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own.

Grouchy Morning Bear Budo von Stahl's Avatar
    Can anyone PM me their EIN? I guess I'll add my suspicions to the pile of Form 3949-As.

The list of parties started to sound sarcastic after about the third one. YMMV.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Page 113 of 254 FirstFirst ... 13386388103107108109110111112113114115116117118119123138163188213 ... LastLast