A Library Without Books

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
ABC News just did a story on this tonight. In addition to the MA library, they mentioned a school in Virginia that's testing the use of iPhones in an English classroom instead of books.

The iPhone seems like a stretch to me (it's so small for long-term reading), but the story made all the same points we have in this and other threads: technology is cheaper than textbooks.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I just finished a second Bachelor's degree through a completely online program. The library was also online, where I had access to almost any journal articled I could want, through a hundred different databases. I could browse them from my desk and choose the ones I thought were relevent, then download them and print them if I wanted.

If I had had to look through shelves of books for the proper article, papers would have taken much longer to write. The library also had books you could borrow electronically and physical books they would send you, but the online thing was DA BOMB.

Now, for leisure reading, I like books, but I'm entertaining the idea of an ebook reader, mostly because I don't like to get rid of books, and have very limited space in my tiny home. I DO re-read occasionally.

I think the wiping out of their entire collection is premature. First of all Harry Potter isn't even AVAILABLE as an ebook and probably never will be. I'm sure there are tons of other books also not available in that format.

Then again, if you're able to afford to send your child to Prep school, you can probably afford to go to the bookstore if there's something you really need.

Deleted member 42

This is so idiotic and short-sited a move that I'm gob-smacked.

Ebooks are great. I have hundreds; I've produced hundreds.

But file formats will change, and have changed, as well the ways and devices we read them on.

There are also all sorts of licensing and legal ramifications that they are clearly not thinking about.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Give me my inscribed clay tablets god damnit. They'll outlive human civilisation!
I'm painting my next novel on the walls of a cave in the form of pictographs.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I think its a good idea. The future will be digital. As much as I like books and having a printed copy of my little short story sure was cool, print production is bad for the environment.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I don't have any emotional attachment to the concept of the book, so I won't shed a tear to see them go. In fact, I'd like to encourage the disappearance of certain dead-tree books sooner rather than later.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Or...the table could have a built-in book screen!

*rushes off to patent the idea*

There actually are coffee tables that are like computers - touch screen, you can edit and rearrange photos, use the internet...seriously. I'll see if I can find it. My dad showed me the link once.

I love real books. But mostly for pleasure reading. I have a compulsion and am constantly buying books and keeping them. I love them. I collect them. I love the feel and the smell, and the idea of libraries shutting down scares and saddens me.

However, for research, since I was in high school years ago, I've used the internet. I've only used books when it was required. So I don't know if it's a huge deal.

The Iphones for books is insane, though.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Crud.

*wanders off to invent edible underwear*
No, we're not going to post links to edible underwear articles now, rob, but take our word for it, you're too late again.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What are those? Maybe if you provide a few pictures we can make a better judgement?

Deleted member 42

I love e-books. I read them on my Mac, my iPhone, and my PDA. And I make e-books for my students. I teach with the Web. But I want the students to have poems and novels and stories for lit classes on hardcopy.

You know why? There's no standard that is universal for e-books. I can't say "go to page 33" unless the e-book is a fixed format .pdf.

Sure you can annotate an e-book, but the annotations are hidden.

Now, until more people are creating e-books like this, I'll be teaching with hard copy.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
This seems both premature and short-sighted.

They ought to go to measures to ensure they are forewarned about file format changes, and improvements to the technology, or their students are going to be the ones paying...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are those? Maybe if you provide a few pictures we can make a better judgement?

No pics but apparently they look like... eye-patches...?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point, Rob.

Though, I do have to say...um, would not a super giant solar flare that could punch through the earth's atmosphere and magnetosphere and still be strong enough to damage computers cause more serious problems?

Like...a sudden upswing of irreversible cases of dead?

Last edited: