The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Gee, ya think that LSI sent back new copies so PA would have to pay taxes on them under the rules brought forth under Thor Power Tools v. IRS?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Gee, ya think that LSI sent back new copies so PA would have to pay taxes on them under the rules brought forth under Thor Power Tools v. IRS?

No, I think that LSI sent back new copies because that's what the contract said they'd do.

I'll bet that the contract says that for every return, PA would receive a book, not that they'd get that same returned book.

IOW, PA didn't read their contract.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Got a question about this book:

1604749172.jpg

It's a nice cover, done by a real illustrator for the author. My question is about the seal on it. Supposedly, this book has won some type of "reader's favorite" award. Is this an award PA hands out? Considering the trouble PA gives authors who want to adjust their covers after the fact, that seal would have to have been part of the original design - as in before it was read by anyone.

?????

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Settled!

Process is now under way.

Letter typed, printed and placed in envelope - to be sent certified with delivery verification.

Informing PA of my intentions to withdraw my permission for contract renewal - upon reaching the renewal date.

Also - respectfully requesting they release said contracts since I have sold no books, will no longer promote said books, and recommending to family and friends to not purchase said books. Also noted was the "withdrawal" from "in stock" by Amazon.com

Should be interesting to see what their initial response will be.

God Bless

Bill

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I know PA posts a lot of 'awards' on their forums, not sure how legitimate or worthwhile they are though. Could have been one of those.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
...My question is about the seal on it. Supposedly, this book has won some type of "reader's favorite" award. Is this an award PA hands out? Considering the trouble PA gives authors who want to adjust their covers after the fact, that seal would have to have been part of the original design - as in before it was read by anyone.
The author wrote herself a press release here:

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2010-02-0209-005.shtml

which discusses the award:
Readers Favorite was created to help authors with honest reviews of their work and to assist them in obtaining more recognition and exposure through a respected Book Award Contest. In addition to the Award Contest, Readers Favorite also provides free reviews for authors and has been asked to review for such renowned authors as James Patterson, David Baldacci, Stephanie Meyer, and is trusted by prominent publishers like Penguin, Random House, Hachette, and Thomas Nelson.

Readers Favorite has also been selected by Amazon to be an Amazon Vine Reviewer, and over the years has earned the respect and gratitude of countless authors, publishers and publicists. An awards ceremony will be held in November 2010 at the Vegas Valley Book Festival, Las Vegas, Nevada.Readers Favorite was created to help authors with honest reviews of their work and to assist them in obtaining more recognition and exposure through a respected Book Award Contest. In addition to the Award Contest, Readers Favorite also provides free reviews for authors and has been asked to review for such renowned authors as James Patterson, David Baldacci, Stephanie Meyer, and is trusted by prominent publishers like Penguin, Random House, Hachette, and Thomas Nelson.

Readers Favorite has also been selected by Amazon to be an Amazon Vine Reviewer, and over the years has earned the respect and gratitude of countless authors, publishers and publicists. An awards ceremony will be held in November 2010 at the Vegas Valley Book Festival, Las Vegas, Nevada.

And here's the website for Readers Favorite: http://readersfavorite.com/

It is interesting that though the blurb above says "over the years", the website was created in August 2009, and 2009 awards seem to be the only ones listed on the site.

Whether the book cover was created with the award in place, or whether the author paid whatever PA chose to charge to change it...no guess. However, they do accept manuscripts in the contest, so that might be how it was done.

ETA: The contest charges $85 to enter in one category, and $65 each to enter the same MS in up to two more categories. So, let's say a PA author pays $215 to enter their manuscript in 3 categories and comes out of it with a gold medal (the "winner" medal, though there are 4 colors and they all say the same thing). How long do you think it will take the average PA author to show a profit for that investment by earning $215 MORE in royalties than they normally would have?

Answers that address climatic conditions in Hades are not acceptable.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

How do you feel about answers involving self-levitating swine?

I checked that site and there are PAGES of "winners" in each category. I wonder how many weren't declared a winner in some capacity with those kinds of numbers.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The author wrote herself a press release here:

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2010-02-0209-005.shtml

which discusses the award:

And here's the website for Readers Favorite: http://readersfavorite.com/

It is interesting that though the blurb above says "over the years", the website was created in August 2009, and 2009 awards seem to be the only ones listed on the site.

Whether the book cover was created with the award in place, or whether the author paid whatever PA chose to charge to change it...no guess. However, they do accept manuscripts in the contest, so that might be how it was done.

ETA: The contest charges $85 to enter in one category, and $65 each to enter the same MS in up to two more categories. So, let's say a PA author pays $215 to enter their manuscript in 3 categories and comes out of it with a gold medal (the "winner" medal, though there are 4 colors and they all say the same thing). How long do you think it will take the average PA author to show a profit for that investment by earning $215 MORE in royalties than they normally would have?

Sounds like the bogus "poetry" scam to me. :D
How original.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
How do you feel about answers involving self-levitating swine?
:roll:

To be fair, I think the long lists of books are the book reviews--it says reviews are free, though as we've seen the contest is quite expensive.

ETA: One last bit of snarkiness. Click on the contest winners (http://readersfavorite.com/2009-readers-favorite-winners.htm) and read the partial blurbs about each book to get an idea of how high the bar was set for this contest.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that makes more sense. I thought that link was a header and that all those books were winners. It's weird, looking through that list, that in categories where there were 1 or 2 entries, a gold wasn't always awarded. Not exactly a ringing endorsement if it's not the gold winner in a category with no competition.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
So the winners get a "digital seal" for up-coming editions and 500 metallic-looking seals for current editions? So what they are really doing is buying seals. The winner doesn't even get cash. And I'll bet the winners have to pay all their own expenses to go to Las Vegas.

Yeah, in terms of prestige value, this award ranks right up there with being a semi-finalist in the International Library of Poetry.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Yow, some of those blurbs are really painful. I guess this is what reading slush is like. Did you catch the cheesecake cover of a romance novel about a neonatologist? She saves premature babies...topless!

Wow. Wonder what PA's cover for THAT would have been like! :eek:

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
So the winners get a "digital seal" for up-coming editions and 500 metallic-looking seals for current editions? So what they are really doing is buying seals. The winner doesn't even get cash..

Well, if the award is real and acknowledged, sometimes the seals themselves can be worth quite a lot of money in boosted sales*. In this case, however, they are probably just buying worthless stickers as you say.

*Assuming you have distribution.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Well, if the award is real and acknowledged, sometimes the seals themselves can be worth quite a lot of money in boosted sales*. In this case, however, they are probably just buying worthless stickers as you say.

*Assuming you have distribution.

QFT

I've heard school librarians tell the kids to look for the books with the seals (usually Newberry and Caldecott).

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard school librarians tell the kids to look for the books with the seals (usually Newberry and Caldecott).
Yep, I quite often tell customers to look for the seals, too, when they are unsure what to buy in MG. If I imagined that any of the Readers Favorite winning books would get into actual bookstore distribution channels, I would certainly have to start modifying that advice to "look for Newberry and Caldecott seals." Not that it's beyond possible that a RF book might be good; but the odds are bad, so one couldn't make a blanket statement.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel this thread is slowly drifting into the "diss PA authors" mode.
We don't want to do that.

Let's keep our focus on the despicable practices of PA itself, okay?

Just my take on it...

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I feel this thread is slowly drifting into the "diss PA authors" mode.
We don't want to do that.

Let's keep our focus on the despicable practices of PA itself, okay?

Just my take on it...

If I'm not mistaken, aren't publishers the ones who generally nominate their authors' books for major awards (although there are a few where authors can nominate themselves)?

Has PublishAmerica EVER nominated one of the books for an award, either major or minor? (Doesn't a Pulitzer nomination only cost $50? Several years ago, a PA author nominated his own book, IIRC).

What does it say about PA if, with 40,000 books published, PA doesn't think ANY of its books is worthy of nomination for an award?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There've been a couple awards posts that Infomonster has put up on PAMB to alert their customers authors. Most of the self-nominations required the purchase of 2 to 5 additional books if they weren't just lying around the garage or in the trunk of the car, many of them were regionals that not everybody would be eligible to enter, and a good deal were for awards the publisher had to provide the nomination.

Last edited:

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Settled!

Process is now under way.

Letter typed, printed and placed in envelope - to be sent certified with delivery verification.

Informing PA of my intentions to withdraw my permission for contract renewal - upon reaching the renewal date.

Also - respectfully requesting they release said contracts since I have sold no books, will no longer promote said books, and recommending to family and friends to not purchase said books. Also noted was the "withdrawal" from "in stock" by Amazon.com

Should be interesting to see what their initial response will be.

God Bless

Bill

Certified and on the way today.

Interesting note - had opportunity to visit Barnes and Noble this morning - just for chuckles I asked the clerk to plug in my book. Clerk found my book is now "out of print" and unavailable, however he noted they did have two (2) used ones available.

The interesting part of this is - according to PA - my book sold not a single copy. Wonder who is lieing, PA or B& N. I know where I would put my bets.

I have a feeling that my quest to retrieve my contact with PA is going to be a lengthy one, however they will find I will be a real thorn in their paw until they release me....

The process has started -------

God Bless

Bill