The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These are really starting to sound like joke emails now.
I was going to say MadLibs. Take out the name of the studio/celebrity/chain store/coffee house and substitute another one. I've worked with email templates and they save valuable minutes, especially for an outfit like PA that doesn't want to pay their employees any more than they need to.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Does any Koolaid-free person on the face of the Earth believe that PublishAmerica is actually sending anything to Walmart, Oprah, or Afghanistan?

Sure. I believe it. What I doubt is that Walmart, Oprah, or Afghanistan are going to do anything with the books when they get them. Oprah's constantly deluged with real books from real publicists. Walmart already has procedures for getting books into their stores, and PA isn't doing what that takes. Afghanistan? I have no idea, but I suspect that random boxes of crappy-looking books aren't going to be high on anyone's list of transport priorities.

I think most of those books will wind up being dumped or recycled. Same thing goes for books shipped to Starbucks. It's the busy holiday season. Why would they want to use up table space on book signings? And believe me, their retail display space is already spoken for.

PA is offering their authors the chance to buy a bunch of copies that will essentially be thrown away. PA doesn't care. They make their profit when the author buys the books. It doesn't matter to them what happens afterward.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
One other thing: it's the middle of December. If those books shipped today, they'd still get hopelessly stuck in the holiday mail jam.

Maybe PA's thought about that, and is timing these offers to give themselves an excuse for the cartons never showing up.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I think over in the quotes thread there was a quote pulled off of the PAMB from someone who had their books shipped to their local BN, who called the person to come and get 'em.

ETA: Found it.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I've already had one PA author contact me about the "special" PA offered which the author tried. The result? The author received the ordered books. The bookstore states it didn't receive them and that it wouldn't put the PA-donated books on the shelves if the books had arrived.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
It's just so sad . . .

I've already had one PA author contact me about the "special" PA offered which the author tried. The result? The author received the ordered books. The bookstore states it didn't receive them and that it wouldn't put the PA-donated books on the shelves if the books had arrived.

I am always saddended when I hear of yet another victim falling for one of PA's scams. I hope he or she learned a hard lesson and will stop responding to these "special" offers from PA.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I've heard of "thinking outside the box" but not "living outside the box." Should I take that to imply he doesn't inhabit a coffin? ;)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Check the "price discount" PA offers.

I'm still wrapping my head around his last name having three i's, whether it's a typo or if he really spells it like that.

Okay, had a look around. Apparently he does. But it still looks like a typo.

I'm pretty sure he was trolling for reviews on Yahoo Answers a month or so ago. The "living outside the box" phrase is familiar. I reported that one for spam.

Whatever, he's not going to sell much of anything with PA's hotshot marketing team on the job.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Check the "price discount" PA offers.

There are several of those on there at the moment. I checked one of the "recommended" books an author mentioned on the PAMB, and it's price was done the same way. ($14.95 marked down to $14.95 for a less than 80 page book. Blech.)

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever, he's not going to sell much of anything with PA's hotshot marketing team on the job.

What marketing team?

Didn't PA move in next to a publisher of law books? I wonder what Aspen Publishers thinks of their new neighbors.

ETA: Yes, found my answer in the PA on Twitter thread.

Last edited:

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. What the Hell is the book about and what does this have to do with 2012?

Peanut? Pikes Peak? That's much simpler than a career at PA.
From its description, its a 55 page autobiography of the author...but its a good deal, because it's been discounted from 12.95 to 12.95! I also love how PA is displaying it, as if it's the book that inspired the movie...why do I somehow doubt that?

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
For PA lurkers

I was doing a little figuring with PA's discounts and came up with something interesting. Well... it's late and I'm tired so with my brain working on being sleep deprived, it was interesting. Someone feel free to correct my math if it's incorrect.

Breaking it down: An average book from Publish America costs $19.95. That is somewhere in the neighborhood of between a 100 and 250 page book, some even less pages. Before the publication of your book, PublishAmerica will send you a letter stating that you can purchase up to 100 copies of your own book at discounts. (That is what my offer said anyway.) 40% on 40 copies, and 50% on 65 or more, and 55% on 100 copies or more. (that 55% is a rare offer, not a standard one) Let’s do the math on 65 copies at a 50% author discount.

65 copies at $19.95 totals $1296.75.
50% of $1296.75 totals $648.38
Shipping cost @ $3.99 per book totals $259.35 (That price per book to ship it is actually 20% of $19.95.)

For the cost of $907.73, you have just purchased 65 copies of your own book, that you got printed for FREE.
That 50% discount turned into a 30% discount once the shipping cost was added back into the total. (Isn’t 30% what is written in your contract on author purchases?)

Because the retail on these books is marked at least $5.00 higher than other trade paperback books, you will have to discount the price in order to sell the copies you just purchased. Say you decided that since you paid $9.98 (50% discount) plus that $3.99 for shipping for each book you purchased (totals $13.97), you can sell them at $15.00 and still make a very small profit. The problems arise when you start talking to bookstore managers about setting up book signings. They may agree (and I stress the word may)to let you have a signing provided you bring the books and share the profits. Okay, so the book store wants 40% of the selling price just for taking the time to set up a table and ring the books out through their registers, as well as allow you to have the book signing on store property. Hmm… what happened to that small profit margin you are allowing yourself of $1.00 per book? You just lost almost $5.00 on every book you sell for $15.00 (40% of $15.00 is $6.00, you keep $9.00 but total paid with shipping was $13.97) at the book signing, and will end up owing the bookstore money if you sell even one copy. If you try and sell the books for the original retail price of $19.95, and give the store 40%, you will end up with about a $1.98 profit.

Now comes the next dilemma; trade paper backs are not going to sell for $19.95, especially ones that have been poorly edited, unless you have a lot of family and friends willing to shell out that much money. In total, you might sell two or three copies of your book at each book signing you attend, and after you take out the cost of gas, and other expenses, you are even farther in the hole. How far in the hole you end up will depend on how far you traveled in order to have your book signing. In the meantime, you are having business cards printed out with your book information on them, sending out fliers that you either paid to have printed up or bought the paper yourself and used your own printer, or making phone calls trying to set up radio or news interviews; spending money on website memberships, or paying a monthly fee for a bigger, better website; yearly charges for memberships to advertise on other websites. It all ads up to a lot of cost, very few sales, and a deep hole in your wallet where your credit card used to be. But hey... you didn't pay to be published.

Last edited:

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have the WebofTrust add-on for Firefox and the Up in Lights page caused WoT to notify me that the page had a poor reputation. I couldn't even click on anything.