The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief.

Having the cover of your book personalized?

Shipping boxes of books to random bookstores?

Sending your book "to Hollywood"?

This is getting more bizarre by the minute.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Unless they're not getting a lot of takers and each new variation is the one they desperately hope will work.

The keyword being desperate. It may be wishful thinking, but I'm still getting the feeling from these offers that PA is in financial trouble and they're trying to get as much out of their customers/authors as they can before filing BK or shutting the doors.

~brianm~

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's cunning, not desperate. The lure of getting on Oprah would only work on a percentage of their 40,000 Happy Authors. This pitch targets a different percentage. Next will be sports franchises, the medical community, the 700 Club, etc., etc. Even if they get only 100 responses to each variation, that's $$$$ for the effort of clicking "replace all", then send.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Where else could they send Free Books?

Buckingham Palace! Just imagine your book being read by the Queen! She could order everyone in the UK and the Commonwealth to read it!

La Cosa Nostra! Just imagine your book being read by Don Corleone! He'd go to bookstores, make the owners an offer they couldn't refuse, and before you know it you'd be shelved for real!

The Vatican! Just imagine your book being read by the Pope! He could grant an Indulgence to anyone who buys a copy of your book!

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Where else could they send Free Books?

Buckingham Palace! Just imagine your book being read by the Queen! She could order everyone in the UK and the Commonwealth to read it!

La Cosa Nostra! Just imagine your book being read by Don Corleone! He'd go to bookstores, make the owners an offer they couldn't refuse, and before you know it you'd be shelved for real!

The Vatican! Just imagine your book being read by the Pope! He could grant an Indulgence to anyone who buys a copy of your book!

Yes, the Pope is who I was thinking of too. But, why stop there?! GOD should be reading these books!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
PA Spam:
DreamWorks has produced stars such as Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, and the Shrek cast.

I'm sure that Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts would be delighted to be equated with two dimensional cartoon characters.

MM

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Did PA move up or down?

The keyword being desperate. It may be wishful thinking, but I'm still getting the feeling from these offers that PA is in financial trouble and they're trying to get as much out of their customers/authors as they can before filing BK or shutting the doors.

~brianm~

Brianm, I share your hope--it's always nice to see the bad guys get what they deserve (Hollywood thrives on it), and PA's just desserts have been too long in coming.

PA's recent move might give us an important clue, if we knew whether their new digs are a step up or a step down. Does anyone familiar with the Frederick area have a knowledgeable opinion on that?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Or it could be this, posted by Marie Pacha over in the Return of a Man Named PAMB thread:

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=31326

Willem Meiners is leaving PublishAmerica, the nation's number one traditional publishing company that he co-founded ten years ago this week. A veteran in the publishing world, Meiners first spent twenty years as a newspaper man in Europe before coming to America two decades ago to build book publishing success from scratch. He became convinced that the winning concept was to allow just about every promising talent to have their book published at no cost to them. Thus the no-cost, low-barrier PublishAmerica was born. So far, PA has attracted 40,000 authors. This year alone, 7,000 new authors joined.
Meiners's departure, announced internally two months ago, takes effect January 1. Though he leaves the door open a crack for doing something else in publishing in the future, he intends to lead a crew of four flying two helicopters around the world, promoting literacy.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
PA's recent move might give us an important clue, if we knew whether their new digs are a step up or a step down. Does anyone familiar with the Frederick area have a knowledgeable opinion on that?

It's a warehouse and I expect it costs a great deal less in rent per month than the townhouse they moved out of on Church Street. The Church Street property is on the market and can be leased for $8,000 per month.

~brianm~

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Meiners's departure, announced internally two months ago, takes effect January 1. Though he leaves the door open a crack for doing something else in publishing in the future, he intends to lead a crew of four flying two helicopters around the world, promoting literacy.
Don't you think if he *truly* wanted to promote literacy he'd've at least had someone grammar-editing all those PA tomes? That helicopter trip looks like an attempt to make an expensive hobby into a tax-deductible junket. I hope the IRS smells blood.

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

That crack is the door is for money to flow through, I'm sure

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind some free books from PA. I'm sure they make a lovely fire, just in time for Christmas.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Looks like PA is downsizing in order to stay in business. I wonder if Willie is covered by the contracts after he leaves or if he can be sued personally? That could be interesting to learn or see.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I don't know if this website has been mentioned here before, but it was created by an author who's very disappointed in his PA experience - and who has images of the emails and royalty check(s) as evidence.

He mentions that he's too embarassed to cash the pittance of a royalty check. I'll bet that's another way PA saves money.

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this website has been mentioned here before, but it was created by an author who's very disappointed in his PA experience - and who has images of the emails and royalty check(s) as evidence.

Wow, Queen. I commend this guy for carefully organizing all his materials and trying to muster other authors into a united front of sorts. Unfortunately his story is all to common.

The other thing that kills me, right there on *his* site, not to mention here on the AW site, are Google ads for Tate and iUniverse...equally heinous printers fronting as "traditional publishers". No way to prevent that, I know, but still grates my cheese!

Has anyone from here contacted this guy to add a link to this forum on the "Links" page of his site?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Thank you for posting that. I put in my vote!

It's interesting to see the "yes" voter comments. Some folk appear to be informed, have read the warnings, and still remain selectively blind.

One of them expects to get two free author copies. I hope she has that in her contract.

They seem to have missed that their books are terrifically overpriced, which is not something a newbie would even think to check.

They also seem unaware that a PA book is not a professional credit--which is MY criteria for whether any company is a real publisher or not.

Do the writer organizations recognize PA and allow its authors in as members? No. Also not something a newbie would check. They would do well to look into the current mess Harlequin stepped into with their vanity operation.

Is PA a vanity printer? They say no, rather a lot, overlooking the fact that most writers will sooner or later buy a copy of their own work, since PA cut off the 2 freebie copies. The moment the author buys--and authors ARE PA's target market, not stores--it's all up.

Not knowing the diff between vanity and self-publishing is one thing, not knowing the diff between PA and a scam operation producing a shoddy product is quite another.

The lemmings checked out the cliff, saw to it there's only ocean and a miserable drowning death at the bottom, and still stroll over the edge. They're special, their book will be different. The ones who don't know any better I will try to help, but this lot can tread water until they sink. I've no patience for them.

Anyway, with the "yes" people going to PA, there's more chances for me to sell at the real publishing houses who can pay a real (vs. a symbolic) advance check.

See you in line at the bank, PA lurkers.

Oh, no, wait. I won't.

Are you mad yet? You should be.
icon8.gif

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
They're certainly taking long enough to plan the rally: (bolding mine)

I am going to fly from Portland Oregon to Frederick, Maryland in January, 20010 to rally in front of the Frederick County Courthouse for author’s rights and to protest my eight months of emotional stress as an author with PA.

;)

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
PA doesn't fit some of the older definitions of vanity, which were created in the days of offset printing. If the definition is "author ponies up 100% of the cash to make the printing plates" then it breaks down when there are no printing plates. Anyhow it's kind of sad the way some of these people cling to the "not a vanity" line when it's still just a plain old scam.