James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Sorry for the double post, but I've been wondering about the so-called "movie deals" posted on the PA homepage for awhile now. I admit I have never followed up on any of the books which supposedly got movie deals, but I'm wondering if any of these movies actually happened. Is this yet another ploy? I can't even imagine how a PA author would get to the point of even having a meeting to discuss a movie deal. Does anyone have any insight on this?

We've had discussions about several of those films:

Shelly's Diary PA: "...you may expect the film to show in a theatre near you!" Status: Some film was shot. Project never completed.

Vortex of Revelation PA: "...entered production for a movie!" Status: Teaser/trailer made. Producer (who also happens to be the author) still seeking funding.

A Monster's Mind PA: "...now complete and available for rent at a local video store in Ohio." Status: One copy apparently exists. It was shown at the Rome (Georgia) Film Festival, and is now for rent, like they say at a local video store. Produced by, and starring, the author.

If memory serves there was one other, but somehow the deal fell through, and there weren't any updates.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You are right, no store will stock anything they didn't not order.This is a security concern .

Hadn't even thought of that. Strange, unordered packages by mail are sort of frowned on these days. Especially when who knows how many identical packages are sent simultaneously to places of business and worship nationwide...

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many PA authors will fall for any of those ploys to get them to buy books. PA is obviously hurting for money. Either that or they have hired someone akin to the court jesters during olden days just to think up stupid ideas. Wait... do I hear wheels turning? Could it be that next week PA will offer to mail FREE books to your local gas stations or how about to your local grocery store, or farmer's market? :rolleyes: The number of crazy schemes is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm waiting to see how long it takes before PA suggests trying to sell books at weddings and funerals.

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
We've had discussions about several of those films:

Shelly's Diary PA: "...you may expect the film to show in a theatre near you!" Status: Some film was shot. Project never completed.

Vortex of Revelation PA: "...entered production for a movie!" Status: Teaser/trailer made. Producer (who also happens to be the author) still seeking funding.

A Monster's Mind PA: "...now complete and available for rent at a local video store in Ohio." Status: One copy apparently exists. It was shown at the Rome (Georgia) Film Festival, and is now for rent, like they say at a local video store. Produced by, and starring, the author.

If memory serves there was one other, but somehow the deal fell through, and there weren't any updates.

Thank you, James, for the links and info.

I was just browsing the PA Up In Lights page and saw a movie deal announced for supposedly two PA books with a link to the movie studio, and wouldn't ya know, the movie studio's site is no more. I figured the PA authors weren't signing with big studios, but I did wonder if anything really did come of these so-called movie deals, and obviously not. I guess it's just one more thing added to PA's web of lies. :rolleyes

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, here's the complete PA Up in Lights movie section:

Frank Zollo Productions has offered Victoria Winslow, author of Reality of You a movie deal. In addition to being credited as the film's screenwriter, Ms. Winslow will also work as one of the film's producers.
PA Books Become Movies!

Coming Home Again by Peter Riddle has been optioned by actor/producer Andrew Jackson for a feature film, scheduled to be shot in the summer of 2009.

PA Books Become Movies!

After his previously expected Invisible Ink movie deal with Dare 2 Dream productions fell through, Carl Veno wrote a screenplay and is producing a movie called Little Chicago, which is based upon a chapter in Invisible Ink.

Actors and the director are being chosen for the movie this summer and filming is expected to begin in October 2007.

Little Chicago the movie is based on a true story about a businessman-turned-gangster during the Prohibition era. The scenes are set in Olean, New York, Niagara Falls, New York, and Bradford, Pennsylvania.

The movie will incorporate the spirit and music of the 1920s, when Al Capone spent a night in the small town of Olean, New York.

The movie will be in shot primarily in Western New York and northern Pennsylvania.

PA Books Become Movies!

The book Vortex of Revelation by A.B. Keller, which is stocked in a whopping 42 bookstores spanning 21 states, has entered production for a movie! Filming for Vortex of Revelation will begin in June 2007, and the movie will be shot on-location in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Some members of the crew at Kodron Productions have won, or been nominated for, Emmy, Cleo, and Cloney awards in their careers.

Over 1000 people from 24 states are involved in this massive grassroots effort to film Vortex Of Revelation, and the music soundtrack of the movie now has 17 different Christian recording artists from all over America including the Philadelphia Boys Choir, who will perform several choral pieces.

PA Books Become Movies!The independent film based on A.J. Conley's The Monster's Mind earned an average score of 4.55 out of a possible 5.0 at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia. This score, based on audience reviews, ranked The Monster's Mind fifth out of the approximately 35 feature films competing at the festival.

Due to its high score at the Rome festival, The Monster's Mind will be shown at festivals across the country, and has been entered for consideration at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival!

Way to go, A. J. Conley!

PA Books Become Movies!Congratulations are also in order for author Benjamin Frazier! His PublishAmerica book, Shelly’s Diary –a fictional account of isolation, southern charm, and murder in Appalachia- is now a feature-length film that stars Stella Parton (Dolly’s sister) and Traci Dinwiddie (of Dawson’s Creek and The Notebook). Expect to see Shelly’s Diary in a theatre near you.

Okay, taking them one at a time.

"Ms. Winslow will also work as one of the film's producers." That means that the filming is coming out of her pocket.

No hits for Frank Zollo or Victoria Winslow at IMDB. This newspaper article (dated August 31, 2008) says that "Production for the film is slated to begin in the next couple of months." Well over a year has gone past, with no hint that production on this film ever took place.

This supposed film was discussed here earlier.

There are no hits for Coming Home Again or for Peter Riddle at IMDB. There are, however, entirely too many Andrew Jacksons there. Twenty-two of them. Of them, none were producing/directing/acting in a feature film in 2009.

Little Chicago apparently is moving forward. At the very least, they have a web page. The trailer looks really good. Carl Veno, the author, is the executive producer. Which means that he's paying for it.

An article in the Olean Times Herald, quoted on the movie's website, dated September 27, 2009, starts out:

"With all the activity surrounding the production of the 'Unstoppable' movie currently being filmed in the area, producer of another film, 'Little Chicago,' say they continue to hold hope that their movie will get off the ground."​

The article quotes Mr. Veno as saying, "The movie will be made, I promise you that."

Clearly, they did not make the October 2007 date. The film is not currently listed at the IMDB.

Shelly's Diary, A Monster's Mind, and Vortex of Revelation have already been discussed.

Last edited:

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, James, thank you for going to that much effort to provide further information. I find it sad that PA authors use more of their own money to produce films of their books. Quite frankly, if they had the resources, I wonder why they didn't just do that to begin with and skip the PA part.

The "Little Chicago" trailer does indeed look good, but I can only imagine how much the movie must've cost to produce.

It makes me wonder about something in the PA contract though. According to the contract, wouldn't PA be entitled to a portion of any profits made on the movie, even if the author produced it themselves? I'm not sure what's changed in the current contract but I could swear mine (from 2003) says PA gets something like 50% from movie deals. I don't understand all the legal ins and outs, especially if the author puts up their own money, so maybe someone else has some insight...?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'm trying to wrap my head around PA "donating" a single book, much less multiple copies to Wal*Mart.

What the hell are the Stooges smoking?

Who pays the shipping? The Published Author?

What does PA get out of it? Since when have they EVER done anything that didn't have a goal of gouging the writers' pockets of cash?

And did they clear this "donation" thing with Wal*Mart?

Donating to a hospital, a school, a library--that's one thing--but why the hell Wal*Mart?

What does Wal*Mart get out of it? If the books are "donated" why should they turn over valuable floor space to sell an item they can't make money on?

It strikes me as being another one of PA's damned-fool head games. Convince the writer that all they have to do is show up and hundreds of strangers will look on them with astonishment and admiration that a Published Author is in THEIR local store.

I can see it now...

(Cue wavy FX and harp music, then a typical Wal*Mart in Texas comes into focus. The camera moves in, stopping in their meager book aisle, which is jammed in behind the beef jerky, cigarettes, and battery display. A Published Author tries to sell books from a card table blocking the aisle.)

Shopper A: Gasp! You mean we can even buy your book?

Published Author replies, sounding just like the grownups in a Peanuts cartoon.

Shopper B: F-for how much? Say that again?

Published Author: Wah-woh-wuh-wuh-wah-wah-wah!

Shopper C: You want 27.95 for THAT skinny thing? We can get four discounted paperbacks on the bestseller list for that much--or two hardcovers. What the hell kind a flimflam are you tryin' to pull?

Published Author: Wuh-woh-wah-woh-wah, Published Author!!

Shopper D: (unimpressed) Git a rope.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
It wasn't too long ago that PA advised they would not deal with Wal*Mart "due to copyright concerns." Now they're willing to just give the books away?

First they move into a warehouse, then we read more on the PAMB about the deterioration of author support and order fulfillment, then they don't update new releases for weeks and when they do the volume is way down, and now all of these crazy offers.

Something's up and my gut's telling me they're trying to squeeze as much out of their customers/authors as they can before closing their doors.

~brianm~

Last edited:

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what would happen to all the author contracts if PA were to close their doors? Would they automatically become null and void, or would PA still technically have to send official contract releases to their authors?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Out of curiosity, what would happen to all the author contracts if PA were to close their doors? Would they automatically become null and void, or would PA still technically have to send official contract releases to their authors?

In my layman's opinion, the contracts would run for the full seven years unless PA sent a release. And for those poor unlucky people with the original contracts that ran for the term of copyright....

Something's up and my gut's telling me they're trying to squeeze as much out of their customers/authors as they can ....

That's been PA since day one.

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
In my layman's opinion, the contracts would run for the full seven years unless PA sent a release. And for those poor unlucky people with the original contracts that ran for the term of copyright.....

If that were the case, I don't think the PA authors with the 7 year contracts would be any luckier. Going by my contract, after 7 years, the author has to specifically ask to be released, otherwise the contract automatically renews. I honestly didn't think that was possible legally; I assumed both parties would have to sign again. I guess I was wrong. :e2shrug:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the Wal-Mart is anything like the one closest to me, then that table won't be inside at the book isle (that's where the store specials go), it'll be outside the main doors, rain or shine, adjacent to the Salvation Army bell ringer. Charities, fund raisers, Girl Scouts, school children, Carter Blood Bank - they all have to sit outside so the store doesn't look like it's supporting the merchandise, just allowing the use of space.

And, if it's anything like the one here, people will see that card table with the person sitting behind it (and the miffed bell ringer), not bother to see what they're selling/collecting for, and use the alternate entrance/exit at the other end of the store. Most of those who do use the door where the table is positioned will feign hearing loss or pretend that said table is at an exact reciprocal wavelength and therefore invisible.

Just about the only time I see people stop at the feature tables is if there's an over-eager kid (or sometimes adult) who physically gets between them and the door. Even the guy who gives away his own CD's has trouble getting people to stop - and those are free, and something like once a month. He sits there with an amp and a guitar and plays for who knows how long (very well, too) while people just walk by.

Besides, inside the store, Wal-Mart has that "slashed prices" policy of something like 60% off the cover price for all books.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Could it be that next week PA will offer to mail FREE books to your local gas stations or how about to your local grocery store, or farmer's market? :rolleyes: The number of crazy schemes is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm waiting to see how long it takes before PA suggests trying to sell books at weddings and funerals.

Nah, they'll target the Jiffy Lubes first.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Who will be the next lucky recipient of PA's donation?

• Correctional instituitions?
  • Churches?
  • Children in underprivileged countries? "They need food, and antibiotics, and good books to read!"
  • NASA? "If aliens arrive in our solar system, the first Earth literature they could encounter would be YOUR book!"

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around PA "donating" a single book, much less multiple copies to Wal*Mart.

What the hell are the Stooges smoking?

Who pays the shipping? The Published Author?

What does PA get out of it? Since when have they EVER done anything that didn't have a goal of gouging the writers' pockets of cash?

Just a thought...what if PA never really sends any books as "donation" to any of the stores. How would the authors even know. Do they receive a copy of a shipping statement to prove that the books were actually sent...I seriously doubt it. And if they show up at their local Wal*Mart to ask where their donated copies are no one will be able to give them an answer.

The Wal*Mart book section (and movies/CDs to, for that matter) are ordered stocked and merchandised by an outside vendor called Anderson Merchandising. I know this because my husband worked for them for a time. The boxes arrive at shipping, are scanned by someone from Anderson, and arranged on the shelves according to a market specific template. If a random box actually showed up it would either be immediately returned or immediately chucked into the nearest dumpster.

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought...what if PA never really sends any books as "donation" to any of the stores. How would the authors even know. Do they receive a copy of a shipping statement to prove that the books were actually sent...I seriously doubt it. And if they show up at their local Wal*Mart to ask where their donated copies are no one will be able to give them an answer.

I'm pretty sure PA said they'll pay for the shipping on donations, which makes me think you could very well be right about them not sending the "donated" books. And there is no chance the authors will get any proof that the books have shipped since PA doesn't respond to their emails.

I don't think the folks running PA are dumb or naive. I think they know exactly what they're doing, which frankly makes the whole thing all the more frightening. I don't believe for one second that PA thinks donating books to retailers will get the books on the shelf. It's just another ploy to get more money out of their authors.

If PA truly wanted to make a realistic donation which they really planned on fulfilling, the books would be going to a variety of libraries of the author's choosing (not 20 books going to the same library). There's no guarantee libraries would open an unexpected box either, but at least there's a better chance of the books going to good use, if the box does get opened.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought...what if PA never really sends any books as "donation" to any of the stores. How would the authors even know.

I'm fairly certain PA will send the books. Not doing so would be stupid when it's such an easy thing to check up on.

You better believe the authors will be hammering on the doors of their choosen bookstores/libraries/whatever, demanding to know why their books aren't on the shelves.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'm fairly certain PA will send the books. Not doing so would be stupid when it's such an easy thing to check up on.. . ..
Not sending them would be the cost-effective thing for PA (dishonest, but cost-effective). Stores will not track unordered shipments of unwanted books (they will simply not be recorded in their system, and would be lost in a flood of normal merchandise), and PA would lie if pressed.

--Ken

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a lady at Anderson's Book Wholesalers (Walmart Headquarters), who handle Walmart Book Acquisitions. I asked her about the PA donation. She said she didn't know anything about it. She did say she had received a call this morning on the same subject, but she said that Walmart does not accept books from Publish America, and her tone was of someone with which Publish America is a sore subject.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Who will be the next lucky recipient of PA's donation?
  • NASA? "If aliens arrive in our solar system, the first Earth literature they could encounter would be YOUR book!"

Why wait for the aliens to arrive here?! We'll send your book into OUTERSPACE! (Extra shipping charges may apply) If it runs into an alien spacecraft your book will the the FIRST EARTH OBJECT THEY ENCOUNTER!!!

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sending them would be the cost-effective thing for PA (dishonest, but cost-effective). Stores will not track unordered shipments of unwanted books (they will simply not be recorded in their system, and would be lost in a flood of normal merchandise), and PA would lie if pressed.

--Ken

Not all the stores/libraries will be huge places. Chances are that some will be local, where staff could be expected to remember receiving packages. And it's very likely that the authors who choose to do this will be in contact* with those places pretty much continuously to keep track of their books. Not sending the books would be a really dumb chance for PA to take.

*Hopefully, most authors will get in contact with the store/library of their choice before ordering and learn the futility of this program without paying for it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Not sending the books would be a really dumb chance for PA to take.

Nonsense. It's not our fault that the mail lost them, the library lost them, they got lost in the system. It's your fault for not requesting delivery confirmation (rerouted from the sender to you at your cost) and not asking for a GPS tracker to be inserted in the box. Apologize immediately for the attitude or we won't let you pay us to print your next book at no cost. Unless you buy 300 copies and opt out of the contract, of course.

*Hopefully, most authors will get in contact with the store/library of their choice before ordering and learn the futility of this program without paying for it.

Wanna lay odds on this happening when most of the people who sign with PA don't even chem them out before they sign?