The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I received an email from one of people who works at Americastar books, asking permission to showcase my novel (an ebook) for free at a book fair. How they do that, I don't know, but whatever. All I had to do was to agree to be put on their list.

Deleted the post, but really, should have saved it to send to someone here for a looksee. Darn...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
You can go back to page 209 of this thread and you'll see a sample of that letter there. I imagine that it's the same one at least.
--

Yup, same letter. Thanks for the heads up. Not that I'd ever reply to her, but it made me chuckle.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
--

Yup, same letter. Thanks for the heads up. Not that I'd ever reply to her, but it made me chuckle.

Yeah they are good recyclers at least.:roll:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Believe it or not, I received one of those letters the other day myself....

1) I didn't self-publish my book. Terra Incognito, was released through a small press, so even if I was tempted (yeah, right), I'm the wrong person to ask

2) I'm with Writer Beware. I think I'm quite familiar with America Star

3) Again, the email said nothing about them setting up a booth at any of these shows - it simply says, we'll be attending. I could be attending too if I paid for a ticket. That would probably be more useful than sending them a copy of my book.

If it wasn't so amusing, it'd be annoying.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Just got one of the e-mails myself. I'd derive some personal satisfaction from telling them where to go, but I suppose there's no point to it...

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Just got one of the e-mails myself. I'd derive some personal satisfaction from telling them where to go, but I suppose there's no point to it...

First reaction: "Hey, the Wombat posts at AW too? How did I not know that?"

Second reaction: "PA sent the Wombat a come-on? Of all people? Really?"

I guess they filter the mailing list the same way their filter their slush pile.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
It's been exactly one year since my last post. How time flies.

Searched for "America Star Books" and a link to publishamerica.com comes up first--but that site apparently no longer works. I got a server error message. They have a different site, americastarbooks.net, which just lists a bunch of categories for their books. Very confusing and not at all user-friendly. But the motto under the logo is revealing: "Giving authors a voice in AMERICA, the old-fashioned way." That sure sounds like they are going after foreign authors.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
So, on another topic. I need to add a blog to my web site, to try to promote my "brand" for a book I'm trying to get published. But I got totally lost trying to decipher WordPress' "easy" 5-minute download instructions. Is there anywhere in AbsoluteWrite, or elsewhere, where I can go for help on this?

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I got the following email yesterday through my web site: "Publish America was dissolved to avoid legal liabilities for fraud. American Star Publishers is not Publish America and has no legal claim to any of its contracts. That is why American Star Publishers does not report sales or pay royalties (which would confirm that they are in fact Publish America under another name). They cannot because if they did so recognize, authors who have sued them could immediately take them back to court and/or force them into bankruptcy so that a court appointed overseer could review all of their transactions. Since they do not but seek to claim the assets (without the liabilities) of Publish America, ASB has no claim to any contract, right, etc. and authors should know this not only because they have and continue to illegally sell the books, but also, because they will try to rip authors off when they try to recover their works. They are a fraud to be reported to the FBI/ICC (since they operate internationally by internet). Let thos!
e agencies do the legal work of proving the ASB fraud, authors then can enter court for judgments and recoveries against them."

Is there any truth to any of this, or is someone just trolling me?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Is there any truth to any of this, or is someone just trolling me?

That just doesn't seem right. If "Publish America was dissolved to avoid legal liabilities for fraud," I think I would have heard it.

It's very likely that "American Star Publishers does not report sales or pay royalties" because there are, in fact, no sales, and no royalties to report.

The rest just plain sounds fishy.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Don,

Could you pass that email to either Victoria or myself? I'd prefer having the headers too, but I understand for privacy sake if you don't want to. I agree with Jim that this sounds a tad fishy, but it would be better if we could verify/investigate where this report is coming from.

Besides, if PublishAmerica had been dissolved and American Star had no claim on their contracts, I have serious questions regarding the status of said contracts. My first question would be did PA's dissolution release their former authors and their books since if this was true, then there is no company to "hold" the contracts. If the contracts are still being held, then would not PA, in fact, still exist? These sound like interesting legal questions that authors may want to follow up on.

(Note: I am not a lawyer and did not study contract law even in college, so that's why I'm suggesting seeking legal advice IF PublishAmerica has in fact been dissolved.)

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Glad to find this. I've been getting those America Star Books emails asking me to pay for various promotions. I was like, "Where did they find me?" Still don't know that, but now that I know they are linked to Publish America, my guess is using their services would be the same as throwing money out a window.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Be glad to. Where do I send it? I'll also send you the follow-up I received.

Don,

Could you pass that email to either Victoria or myself? I'd prefer having the headers too, but I understand for privacy sake if you don't want to. I agree with Jim that this sounds a tad fishy, but it would be better if we could verify/investigate where this report is coming from.

Besides, if PublishAmerica had been dissolved and American Star had no claim on their contracts, I have serious questions regarding the status of said contracts. My first question would be did PA's dissolution release their former authors and their books since if this was true, then there is no company to "hold" the contracts. If the contracts are still being held, then would not PA, in fact, still exist? These sound like interesting legal questions that authors may want to follow up on.

(Note: I am not a lawyer and did not study contract law even in college, so that's why I'm suggesting seeking legal advice IF PublishAmerica has in fact been dissolved.)

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
All I would ask is that you not contact the person who sent it to me. If you want to contact him/her, let me know and I'll see if he/she will agree.

Don,

irons

Registered
Reaction score
I was as surprised as anyone that PA/America Star has apparently scaled its operations back. Then I looked at their Facebook page. They're still working hard at the same old thing. To judge by posts going back as far as April, they're hitting the event circuit, representing authors at the LA Times Festival of Books, the Book Expo America in Chicago (with mention of a young author who came all the way from Australia to attend), and the American Library Association Annual Meeting in Orlando. In all cases, I've only linked to posts for the first day of each event. Having no knowledge of these events, I can't say how appropriate this representation is, or how legitimate the events themselves are. It appears in many cases that they're giving some authors a chance to occupy a booth for some amount of time (the most specific slot being 2.5 hours). They haven't said how these authors earn the privilege, but I'm afraid we probably have a fair idea.

Other items of interest are book trailers—the phrase "exciting piece of cinema" giving me occasion to grimace—and, most notable in my eyes, the launch (hi, Wilhelm!) of Paperback Radio, which is "owned and independently operated by World Wide Words, LLC, a Frederick, Maryland based media company." A cursory Google search for this LLC turns up only worldwidewords.org (which I assume in not affiliated) and the Paperback Radio site. Of course, the "radio" show appears to spotlight America Star authors. The Facebook page also updates its cover photo with author titles (example) and as with their radio station, I wonder what they charge for this service.

Based on the spokespersons we see on Facebook, I believe PA is still running enthusiastic young employees through a wringer. An extended look back in time and continued monitoring of their page might reveal just how quick turnover is. I believe there was a magic date on which PA traditionally cut its junior staff loose... In sum, PA have finally discovered the convenience of social media, which is why their hosted site is a ghost town. I clicked through every category on their page and found that most of them were empty. For example, you'd think the Fiction section would have something in it. Where did it all go? If you look at their Facebook posts, you'll note that they promote most books with direct links to Amazon (example) or to the author's own Web site (example). This seems to explain the shift away from americastarbooks.net.

I can still hang onto the hope that their volume of authors has been reduced, that authors who come to dislike PA's services can get away more easily, or that these people receive better treatment in general. These are scant hopes, sad to say.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Someone sent an anonymous email to me via my web site, which referred me to cases in Maryland state courts with case numbers 10C16000474, 10C15001342. and 10M16001288. The last one appears to reflect a judgment against ASB and in favor of Maryland State Licensing Labor & Regulation, in the amount of $9,628.14, dated May 2, 2016. A writ of garnishment was issued June 30th--apparently to ASB/PA's bank. The other 2 case numbers appear to relate to a lawsuit filed against ASB/PA by Book Publishing, LLC on February 17, 2016. ASB/PA filed a motion to dismiss/for summary judgment, and a hearing was held June 20th. The last entry says the judge took the motion under advisement. Anyone have any further information on either of these?

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I realize there isn't much traffic anymore for these folks but I just couldn't go without posting that I was surprised to see ASB is still getting mileage from good ol Oprah, an Asian Agent etc. Many ways to still spend what money you have left after you order a box of your own books back! http://store.americastarbooks.pub/OprahFull

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I realize there isn't much traffic anymore for these folks but I just couldn't go without posting that I was surprised to see ASB is still getting mileage from good ol Oprah, an Asian Agent etc.

They've got a lollapalooza of a disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: America Star Books has no affiliation with Oprah Winfrey, OWN, Oprah's Book Club 2.0, the Discovery Channel, and/or their sponsors or affiliates, and makes no claim to preferential access to or other special treatment from those organizations or individuals. America Star Books does not guarantee, represent or imply that you will achieve any result or success by participating in this promotion. Oprah is a registered trademark, and no support or endorsement of any kind is suggested or implied.
Let me simplify things for anyone thinking of throwing $79 to our chums in Maryland: you will not achieve any result or success by participating in this promotion.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The last entry says the judge took the motion under advisement. Anyone have any further information on either of these?

I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV.

As I look at the Maryland State District Court site, I see the first two cases combined under number 10C15001342, and the name of the plaintiff is: Larry Clopper!

It seems to me as if Larry (and "Book Publishers LLC") was suing his old pals Willem Meiners, Alice Meiners, America House Book Publishing Company LLC, America Star Books Inc, America Star Books LLLP, Publish America Inc, and Worldwide Words LLC.

This has been swirling around since May of 2015, and the original cause was "Petition for Dissolution and Appointment of Receiver, and Complaint for Breach of Contract."

By July 2015 it was amended to "Dissolution or in the Alternative an Election to Purchase Shares, and Complaint for Breach of Contract and Breach of Duties."

By August of 2015 we see, "Motion to Stay Dissolution Proceedings and for Appointment of Appraisers."

Things continue to happen at the slow pace of the majestic law until:

In May, 2016, we find, "ORDERED, that Publish America shall produce any and all information requested by the appraisers as ordered on April 19, 2016, regarding the assets and liabilities of Publish America, Inc. for the purposes of conducting the previously-ordered appraisal."

Motions go back and forth for a while, including, in June 2016, "Defendants' Motion in Limine to Preclude Any Testimony About Defendant Meiners' Financial Affairs or Other 'Bad Acts'," and "Defendant America Star Books LLLP, America Star Books Inc and Publish America Inc's Motion to Quash Subpoena for Victor Cretella."

July 2016 brought, among other things, "Consent Motion to Stay Pending Settlement" and "Stipulation of Dismissal with Prejudice."

So, to my very non-expert eye, it looks to me like they settled out of court.

Last edited: