The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
this should make all of us happy, and at the same time make liars out of them. You know how Pa accepts anyone and rejects no one, well they sent me a rejection back. I sent in thise 5 short stories the other day just to see what would happen. You would think that they would be hoping on anything that they thought they can make 99.00 a pop or more on justediting right?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
PA monitors AW, so they may have seen your post here and figured out (by the timing of your submittal) that it wasn't a legitimate submittal. I also believe that PA has a page requirement. Can't remember where (or if) I saw that now. Seems to me it was on their website some place. Or maybe that was about having your book title printed on the spine. If the book doesn't have enough pages, there isn't enough room to print a legible book title on the spine.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
PA will reject anything that's barely literate or not long enough.
It's tough to write something bad enough to get rejected, but it can be done.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If the book doesn't have enough pages, there isn't enough room to print a legible book title on the spine.

Why bother? It's not like the book will be in any store shelves unless the writer begs for consignment space.

Oops. I've just enabled PA to rip off even more writers.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
i just sent in 5 different stories like a short story collection, like I did last year, or two years ago, sorry, and they had no problem with it then. i think its cause I ask them for the rights back earlier in the week.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If you used your regular email address or your name, and you hadn't bought enough copies of your first book, they'll reject it.

If you want to have your next book accepted, buy 75 copies of your current book. They'll fall all over their feet in their hurry to accept it.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
Thats what I thought also, if I had bought 300.00 worth of my books. That and I used a different email and thought it would look like someone else new, and my real name just showed up still. how can you hide your real name from showing up and no one know that you are the same person?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how your email is configured and who your email provider is. I'd suggest asking in the tech section.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing ... I was looking through the stack of books I've never managed to finish where I spotted my copy of the incomparable Atlanta Nights. How's that going, James? Selling like hotcakes?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How's that going, James? Selling like hotcakes?

Darned near a thousand sold, which means it's outsold almost every PA book.

They missed a real POD best-seller by rejecting it (months after they'd accepted it and sent a contract, minutes after we announced it was a hoax).

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
Did you publish it with someone else? even after they knew it was a hoax? How did you do that if you had a contract on it? I have net through comcast. but i used a yahoo email address.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did you publish it with someone else? even after they knew it was a hoax? How did you do that if you had a contract on it? I have net through comcast. but i used a yahoo email address.

We printed Atlanta Nights through Lulu.com, which is just a printer. If you want 400 pages of gibberish bound, hey, they'll do it. "Accepting" or "rejecting" isn't what a printer does.

After we'd sold enough to add an ISBN, we bought an ISBN out of the profits. Total cost to us of publishing and selling a thousand copies of Atlanta Nights: Zero. Total amount spent on marketing and advertising: Zero.

We set the cover price in line with the normal cover prices for similar-sized books in bookstores, and set it so that we'd get as much from each sale as a PublishAmerica author would get from their sales. (Each book, cover price, ran five bucks lower than a similar-length book from PA.)

PublishAmerica offered a contract on Atlanta Nights, but we didn't sign the contract.

PublishAnything missed the boat.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm sure those "wonderful" people who run PA grit their teeth and sneer every time they hear the words "Atlanta Nights."

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I have a big post there.

Thanks for the link! So that's where those statistics come from. And the scare tactics about agents seems to be a common theme among PA apologists who have some familiarity with the industry.

I checked out Denny Hatch on Amazon. His PA-printed book came out in 2003. After that, he put out one more book - and that was printed by iUniverse in 2005.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
Just happened to check my old email that I used when I first signed the contract with PA, and lo and behold, they didn't block that one, lol! Seems as of this weekend, all sales of hardback books will be discontinued, I guess someone figured out that they were only making a little bit of profit off of those, huh? On another email, they proclaim that they have "slashed" shipping costs a whopping $75.00, but then I would have to ORDER something to find out that, and NO WAY am I even buying another copy of my work and make them another cent!

They also state they they ''cut'' book prices, so I too a look at mine. Sure, they cut them down... to the original ignorant price ($19.95 for a 212 page softcover) from the amazingly stupid price that they had jacked them up to ($24.95 in my case, same price as my hardcover at Lulu (387 pages).

The Fickle Finger of Fate needs to drag PA down in this recession, and leave some of the quality companies alone that are going under!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
PA sounds desperate, doesn't it?
Every week a different angle, smoke and mirrors, razzle dazzle, confuse the masses.
Yeah, right.
The public is catching on to your tricks and your dropping sales figures confirm it.

You moved from a beautiful building at a prestigious address to a warehouse district. Why?
It's not because you outgrew your surroundings.

What's your next scheme?
It's kinda fun watching you dangle in the wind. :)

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
PA sounds desperate, doesn't it?
Every week a different angle, smoke and mirrors, razzle dazzle, confuse the masses.
Yeah, right.
The public is catching on to your tricks and your dropping sales figures confirm it.

You moved from a beautiful building at a prestigious address to a warehouse district. Why?
It's not because you outgrew your surroundings.

What's your next scheme?
It's kinda fun watching you dangle in the wind. :)

We can certainly hope PA is in trouble. But I seem to remember reading some of the same predictions in the Old NEPAT, and PA is still around. So I'll believe PA is in trouble when they actually go out of business. In the meantime, we can all keep spreading the truth about PA and trying to educate those potential suckers out there before PA can shake them down.