The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Colts442

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Wanda

Wanda, please don't take this wrong, but I am a woman. I just thought I'd correct you on that. LOL! And no I didn't pay to have it fixed. I sent them the second book and signed the contract before I found out what a load of crap they were. Trust me I regret it, but there's not a lot I can do about it now, except try and get out of it or work on what I still have and find a real publisher. I know I made a mistake, but I haven't given up yet! I've read a lot of posts on this web site and I'm determined that one of these days I'll have a book that actualy makes it to the book store. There's no sense worring about what can't be undone at this point. It's the future that matters and what I can do about that. I'm sure a lot of other people on here would agree.

Colts442

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sorry Wanda, I didn't see your last post till after I had posted. Please forgive me. Yes, with my first book, my first royalty check was $14 and some change and the second check was $9 and some change. I haven't received anything since. With my fist book, I received my $1 advance in actual money form and with my second book, I got a check for the $1 advance. It's funny how much they've changed from the first book to the second. Of course, I haven't cashed the check, LOL!

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
i still got my last royalty check for 1.40. of course hey are acrewing you out of everything you make on Amazon.com and all of them. Make sure you pay attention those sites each week, you need to count everytime you see one leaving. it will say 8 new 6 used. something like that, all those used ones should be what you get paid for. but we dont. How did you get stuck with the 2nd book after the first? they close together? Did you get a author copy yet? oh I forgot you won't with this one. one of the huge benefits that they are taking away. yep got that dollar bill also. I love your covers for your books, they actually did a better job than I expected them to do. you can private message me anytime. yes, you and I will be both looking for a very good one. If you pm me I will tell you about two that I have found, and they pay 30% royalties and dont charge anything.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, I haven't cashed the check, LOL!
So many PA authors/victims have not cashed their $1 "advance" checks. I wonder how many hundreds (or thousands) of dollars are sitting in PA's coffers as a result of their victims holding on to these checks.

I wish there would be a "Cash Your PA Advance Check" holiday, in which every victim of PA's scam would take their $1 check to the bank and cash it at the same time. That would be hilarious.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
I think I will cash mine tomorrow at the bank and get me a mega ticket with it. wouldnt that be funny to win millions of dollars with a check that you cashed from them for 1.40. hahaha laugh.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i still got my last royalty check for 1.40. of course hey are acrewing you out of everything you make on Amazon.com and all of them. Make sure you pay attention those sites each week, you need to count everytime you see one leaving. it will say 8 new 6 used. something like that, all those used ones should be what you get paid for. but we dont.
Wanda, I think it's been explained before that when people list a used copy for sale on Amazon, they may not actually have a copy of the book. If the price of the "used" copy is more than a few dollars, it's very likely that they don't have a copy. Instead, they've put up the sale offer at a very high price, assuming that if someone orders their "used" copy of the book, they can buy a new copy from the publisher, send it to the buyer, tell them it's a used copy in really good condition, and make a big profit. There are several outfits that do this with every title that ever gets assigned an ISBN.

And if a store says it has a certain number of books in stock, and then that number decreases, it may be because they returned some copies to the publisher as unwanted, rather than because they sold the copies. So trying to follow what Amazon has on its site is a waste of time.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
I would laugh all the way to the bank, then I could publish my own books. you come up with the same story lines as i do. i am glad that someone does. i will pm you and tell you about mine. maybe we could help each other out as we write one we can help the other one. i always have the male being hot. i mean it helps you get into the sex part anyway.i use either a man i know that i think that way about or a country singer. was using patrick swayze, but he died. I now use george strait, josh turner, blake shelton or keith urban. or richard gere cause hes sexy cause he has grey hair.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
in short you are saying that none of us will ever really know if we are being ripped off?

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
i have always used the above but PS was just added to that list. i still think william petersen that was on CSI was hot or is hot. He is usually the guy that i have look like if he is a doctor.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The only one who knows for sure how many copies a PA book sells is PA itself. Author copies, those through Amazon, B&N.com, it doesn't matter. Every one has to be printed by PA on demand. There is no "stock" of a PA title because it's not warehoused anywhere. Warehouse stock is only for books that are done in print runs (where a real publisher prints a whole bunch at one time to distribute to book stores. ) Commercial publishers can "run out" of copies, POD can't.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
in short you are saying that none of us will ever really know if we are being ripped off?

Everyone who believed that PA was a commercial press and found out otherwise really knows they've been ripped off.

But with regards to whether your royalty payments match the actual number of copies sold -- no, authors can never know for sure if their publisher's accounting is 100% accurate. When authors suspect that something is grossly wrong, they can, at their own expense, initiate an audit into the publisher's accounting records, assuming that the right to do that is included in their contract.

I would expect that PublishAmerica has some degree of error in their accountancy, since no one is infallible. As to how large that degree of error is, I cannot guess. However, it seems unlikely that any individual author's royalty statements would contain mistakes of the magnitude worth pursuing; most PA authors only sell a handful of copies of their books, so accounting errors would be in the realm of tens of dollars, not thousands of dollars.

What I think most PA authors can assume is that they can make a pretty accurate guess as to how many copies they have sold, because they will personally know each person who bought the copies. PA books sell to the author, to the author's family, and the author's friends. Rarely to anyone else. So if you made a sale, you'd very likely know about it.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
If you signed a contract with PublishAmerica, you have been ripped off. Whether or not you know you've been ripped off is another matter entirely. A lot of people don't seem to mind the PA arrangement.

Tracking potential "sales" on other websites is futile. You can never be sure exactly how much PA is making from your work. The thing is, the PA author has signed a contract to let PA make money however they want to... and keep it.

ETA: Unimportant, JINX. We cross-posted.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but I beat you by two minutes, Pinkie, so I WIN!!!!! :-D

Colts442

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Moving Forward

I look at it like this, and I might be completely stupid for saying this, but, I know I screwed up big time for going through PA. I've learned my lesson and now I know better. I wished I had known then what I do now. I told my husband when I started this that I didn't care whether I made a dime off of my books, I had something in print with my name on it. Needless to say, I didn't know they were never going to make it to an actual book store. (at the time at least) They're out there some where on the web where people can still buy them, if they want to pay a rediculous price, and I don't expect them too. And now that I know all of this, and learned a hard lesson in the process, there's only the future to look forward too. I am in no way praising PA! Please don't think that I am.

But I do beleive we have to give them credit for at least one thing. :evil
If it wasn't for them and the scam they have pulled on us unsuspecting writers, what would we have to talk about? LOL!

No don't answer that, I'm sure there's plenty of other things we could find to talk about that would be a lot more interesting than Publish America! ;)
I was just trying to be funny and give everyone a laugh for the day. Sorry!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Colt, it's great that you've recognised PA's dishonesty before you wasted even more time and effort on them. It's sad that they scammed you, but you've come out of it stronger and wiser. We do talk about them a lot because we'd like to prevent people from being caught in their snares, and we really appreciate folks like you sharing their stories. It gives newcomers the opportunity to learn from your mistakes instead of having to make the mistakes themselves and learn the hard way.

Colts442

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
If my mistake can help at least deture one person, I'm happy to tell it. The people on here have been great with their advice and understanding and I'm so happy I found this site. Hopefully others will find it too. You all are amazing! Thank you so much for including me.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Whatever you do when you talk to other PA authors, be sure to encourage them to cash any and all PA checks they receive. They can always make a copy of the check(s) for bragging and documentation purposes. In the meantime, it gives PA less funding in reserve and hastens the day they go out of business.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
How PA keeps going. . . .

Another thing I would like to know is, with all of the unhappy writers they have, and all of us wanting out of our contracts and not promoting or buying our books, how are they still in business? You would think they would be going under. We could only hope that were the case. How do they keep going? They don't seem to be selling anything.

It seems that P.T. Barnum (or whoever really said it) was right--there's a sucker born ever minute. And PA is happy to fleece them out of their money. There are some who actually seem to enjoy getting ripped off by PA, because they staunchly defend the company against all attacks. Apparently the power of self-deception is truly amazing. Or maybe it's just ego--the pride of being a "published author," even if no one actually reads your book. I find it incredible.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
That is all true above we just ahve to hope that someone sees it before they sign their contract with them and get stuck like a another poster here in another thread. it is awful,maybe that poster will come into this thread and read it.

Bonnie Gibson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PA is still printing books. I just got an emai from them about another book. I don't know why they still email me. I got out of my contract several years ago.

My highest royalty check was for $26.00 and I was one of the top ten sellers and was listed in the New York Times ad that they put out. LOL...Too funny.

But they keep on deceiving people...over and over...

It will be pay day someday for them...