The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but we can hope they apply the six months sentence to anyone they happen to charge at PA since they have an in-house lawyer and he ought to be giving them legal advice on such matters. Maybe he'll be the one to serve the time?
Nope. He'll slime his way into getting some poor unsuspecting intern to take the wrap. Then distance himself from the whole mess. Sound familiar?

Hueffed

Registered
Reaction score
PublishAmerica Support

Over 40,000 posts and it still hasn't all been said.

NEPAT Trilogy: The Unforgiven

w00t!
I have been published by PublishAmerica. They priced by children's paperback book at $24.95 when the average book at amazon.com is $9.50. Basically my book is doomed to fail. I have E-mailed the support page twice and still have not had PA respond. So going to support will not work. They are a Rip-Off publisher!

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hueffed,

Take a stroll through the forum here. You'll find a ton of information on PA, as well as stories of former PA authors who have gone on to publish with real commercial presses - both e-presses and in print.

Welcome to the Cooler :)

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I have been published by PublishAmerica. They priced by children's paperback book at $24.95 when the average book at amazon.com is $9.50. Basically my book is doomed to fail. I have E-mailed the support page twice and still have not had PA respond. So going to support will not work. They are a Rip-Off publisher!

:welcome: Welcome, Hueffed. I'm sorry you got caught in PA's web, but rest assured that you are not alone. I too fell for their lies. They only want your money, and they have many ingenious ways of trying to scam you out of it. I suggest you forget PA and move on. Just write a newer, better book and find a reputable publisher for it.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
They are a Rip-Off publisher!

No arguments!

:welcome:

As stated--start working on that NEXT book. PA sucks canal sludge, but you put on your game face and don't let your anger toward them slow down your aim to publish.

Find your next publisher by going into a bookstore and looking inside the front matter of titles like yours to see who is buying similar works.

Likewise, look up authors with similar work and see if they won't recommend a reputable agent.

Keep writing! PA is a speed bump and though they shake you up, you don't stop, but keep rolling forward!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Welcome, Hueffed! I, too, signed with PA back in 2008 (was able to be rid of them in 2010). I know how you feel. Best advice I've been given: write your next book, and your next, and your next. PA can only hold you back if you allow them to. Good luck.

Hueffed

Registered
Reaction score
PublishAmerica Stole My Dream

Continuing from the New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT) (1/06 to 9/09)....

(Which in turn continued the Old Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT) (11/03 to 2/06))
I am an author of children's stories. I have a book entitled, "Booger Planet," and "Terry and the Pirates Treasure." I signed the second contract before I found out that PublishAmerica wasn't a litigimate publishing house. My children's paperback book was priced at $24.95 which is 62% higher than other children's books that sell for $9.50 on amazon.com. PublishAmerica has doomed my book to failure. They have tied my book up in it's contract for seven years. The two books that I mentioned are two of my best works. They asked me for all the e-mail addresses of my friends and family so that they could send out an announcement to them when the books were published. I provided this before I found out that PA was a rip off outfit. I have e-mailed my friends and relatives and told them not purchase my book.

Hueffed

Registered
Reaction score
Exposing PublishAmerica

:welcome: Welcome, Hueffed. I'm sorry you got caught in PA's web, but rest assured that you are not alone. I too fell for their lies. They only want your money, and they have many ingenious ways of trying to scam you out of it. I suggest you forget PA and move on. Just write a newer, better book and find a reputable publisher for it.
I read every bit of your web sit about PublishAmerica. Great job, keep up the good fight. I wonder why PublishAmerica is doing business like this. Why don't they do business like any other publishing house. It seems to me that they would make more money if they did.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I wonder why PublishAmerica is doing business like this. Why don't they do business like any other publishing house. It seems to me that they would make more money if they did.

But which one requires less work, selling an author 10 copies of their own book for $20 each, or convincing 20 people who have never heard of the book to pay $10 each for it?

Selling the book to the author usually means there's no need for editing, advertising (other than emailing the author), distribution or payment of royalties, either. So, even more profit for PA.

PA does business like this because it works for them, and because there are a lot of writers who can be deceived at least once.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Hueffed said:
I wonder why PublishAmerica is doing business like this. Why don't they do business like any other publishing house. It seems to me that they would make more money if they did.

It costs a publishing house a lot of money to buy the rights to sell a book. Tens of thousands of dollars. It's risky, so they have to be extremely selective. The process is time-consuming. What PA does is easier and cheaper, especially if you don't have a conscience.

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score

I am afraid not. When done properly, publishing is a complex and not-that-profitable business. A publisher needs to select those manuscripts that are likely to appeal to a large audience, get distribution and marketing lined-up, and have enough (but not too many) copies printed to satisfy demand. And that sort of investment is only worthwhile for books that will sell over a thousand copies, so the publisher is taking a considerable financial risk.

Most PA books, on the other hand, don't get near a hundred copies sold. But because PA doesn't invest much per title, there's very little risk for them. Especially since they can often rely on the author's friends and relatives to buy a copy regardless of the price, so it becomes profitable even when only a few dozen copies sell.

Hueffed

Registered
Reaction score
suport@publishAmerica,com

Going to support at PublishAmerica is useless, I've tried. Written two E-mails and they wont answere the question that I put to them, "Why have you priced my children's paperback book 68% above all the other children's books on Amazon.com?"

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . "Why have you priced my children's paperback book 68% above all the other children's books on Amazon.com?"
Here is the answer they will not give you: because they know that you (the author) will be the only person to buy it. They are only interested in selling books to the authors themselves, and they know that most will pay any price to buy copies for resale (if the authors can find buyers). That is the nature of a vanity press.

--Ken

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Going to support at PublishAmerica is useless, I've tried. Written two E-mails and they wont answere the question that I put to them, "Why have you priced my children's paperback book 68% above all the other children's books on Amazon.com?"

They have no interest in selling books to readers. That's too much work. So they don't care if their pricing, editing, and everything else makes it virtually inevitable that no one other than the author and their friends and family will buy it. They make their money selling copies to the author.

It's an incredibly dishonest business model. And it's easy for those of us who prefer to behave in an honest manner to ask why they don't just choose a more honest business model instead. But the answer is: because this gets them more money for less effort. Sad but true. :rant:

They're gambling that for every author who sees through them and gets fed up, there will be two more who sign up before they realize what they're doing. And unfortunately, so far they've been right.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Why have you priced my children's paperback book 68% above all the other children's books on Amazon.com?"

Because they expect you to buy it no matter how much it costs. And many people will--they'll pass it out to friends, family, etc, all on their dime.

They are exploiting their writer's work for monetary gain. It's horrendously unethical.

I wonder what percent of PA sales are to their own authors and/or immediate family and friends.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I wonder what percent of PA sales are to their own authors and/or immediate family and friends.

Almost 100%, I'm sure. PA has had my book for 4 1/2 years, and has managed to sell a mere two copies because I won't buy it or let my friends and family members buy it. (And I'm not sure PA didn't make a mistake on those two copies and give me credit for someone else's sales.) Until recently, my little 200-page paperback book, with no illustrations, cost $24.95. Who in their right mind would pay that for a paperback book by an author you never heard of?

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Words fail me on this "Author of the Year" announcement:

$1,000.00.

Nominate your own book today. Voting starts this week.

Enter your book today to participate. It automatically nominates your book. All nominated books will be publicly announced and advertised later this week. Voting will start on Friday. You can vote for your own book, or for someone else's book. Mobilize your fans, friends, and readers: they may vote as well.

The author of the book with the most votes wins!

The PublishAmerica Author of the Year 2011
wins an Award
and a Thousand Dollars in cash!

Nominate your book, for an administrative fee of $9.95. Your book's nomination will be publicly announced this week. Voting starts on Friday.

Must choose a shipping option to activate. Absolutely no use of coupons is allowed. Valid for one title at a time. Multiple titles must be entered individually.

The $1000 cash check will be mailed to the Author of the Year before Christmas! Somebody is going to start the new year a very happy book writer!

Words. Fail. Me. And then there are these offers: http://www.publishamerica.net/service

Last edited:

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
A $9.95 "administrative fee" plus shipping option? Dear god, these people are shameless.

The $1000 cash check will be mailed to the Author of the Year before Christmas! Somebody is going to start the new year a very happy book writer!

And may I just point out, they don't specify Christmas of what year...